View Full Version : OMG my first visit with a psychiatrist

clocker
01-03-07, 01:22 AM
I made an appointment to see the shrink today a 6:15 PM. I am there at 5:45 PM.

There are three other people in the lobby. Eveyone is waiting for the same doctor. Finally at after waiting for an hour I give the doctor a call on her cell. The phone number is disconnected.

I ask the other patients if this is normal. One says yes. I get up and leave. I was going to pay this person 250.00 for an evaluation. Give me a ******* break.

Anyhow, I talk to the woman and ask her why does she stay with such an unprofessional shrink. She says its easier for her to get her meds. WOWSERS!!!!

I tell ya. Its hard to find a shrink.

Dissonance
01-04-07, 12:12 AM
I hear you! I saw 3 over the course of a year before I found one that understood me. He actually has ADHD which usually leads to a very interesting session lol

meadd823
01-04-07, 04:38 AM
Actually $250.00 is cheap these days.

Crazy~Feet
01-04-07, 12:37 PM
Actually $250.00 is cheap these days.Agreed. And it can also be very difficult for some people to get through to a doctor to get the necessary meds on time (Wowsers! That really sucks when THAT happens!). I have to sympathise with the woman in the lobby myself, I have great difficulty at some times getting through in time to get meds refilled or readjusted. I WISH my doctor was easy to get meds from. And waiting a long time to see a good doc is quite normal in psychiatric practices. These doctors occasionally have patients in severe states of crisis and their oaths require them to tend to these patients as long as necessary.

clocker
01-05-07, 03:51 PM
here is an update. the docs car broke down and forgot to call people.

nzkiwi
01-05-07, 03:59 PM
Forgot to call. I would lose my job it i did that. Oh, I just remembered, I don't have a job. LOL :D

P.s I am looking however.

Nova
01-05-07, 09:41 PM
Here's what I think.

My Psych Doc, who also has ADD, is forgetful, too.

But he's also forgiving in many of my behavioral traits...one of which, is my being chronically late to our appointments.

One trait, that most Psych Docs that I've been to, in the past, have not been willing to 'oversee'.

Doesn't make him any less qualified, as a Psych Doc, than any of the more
'linearly-structured' Psych Docs.

It makes him, more than 'qualified' to treat me, personally, for my ADHD, and for all other medical 'reasons'.

It's all a matter of what you, personally require, from a Doc, doesn't it ? (0:

Nova
01-05-07, 11:12 PM
NZ,

You totally had peanuts, almost snarfin' outta my nose, with part o' your signature !

Thanks for the major laugh !! :D

"I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night":rolleyes:

QueensU_girl
01-06-07, 12:56 AM
Sounds like your Doctor (#1) is just a "Dr. Feelgood" who Rx's whatever people want.

Yeesh.

We had an elderly Doctor (in his 80s) in my hometown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston%2C_Ontario) (a prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Penitentiary) town; seven in the region). This old Doctor was known for being a Dr. Feelgood of sorts, we later learned.

A drug-seeking patient (former inmate?) did not get the drugs that he wanted out of the old guy. The patient stabbed him. The Doctor died.

Dangerous thing to be known for being loose with the prescription pad, methinks.

FWIW, my partner is a psychiatrist, and refuses to Rx certain medications, such as narcotics, stimulants (unless people have proof of testing), and sedatives... anything abusable.

Nova
01-06-07, 01:05 AM
Nice to see you helpin', once again, with those in their first appointment, with their Doc, again, QueensU. (0:

meadd823
01-07-07, 12:05 PM
FWIW, my partner is a psychiatrist, and refuses to Rx certain medications, such as narcotics, stimulants (unless people have proof of testing), and sedatives... anything abusable.

Only one teeny time problem with this approach

There is no test for ADD. . . . . . .

In case it was missed in your post QueensU the doctor got killed because of a bunch of malicious gossip that obviously wasn't true combined with one sick inmate that should be placed under the jail for the rest of his un-natural life.

Sorry I absolutely hate it when gossip hurts some one when it is the cause of a death that makes it even worse.

Word of mouth when it comes to selecting a professional is only so valuable research is invaluable in my opinion.

Doctor's office waiting inevitable , good time to balance the check book, catch up on reading, take a nap.

clocker
01-09-07, 01:27 AM
Only one teeny time problem with this approach

There is no test for ADD. . . . . . .

In case it was missed in your post QueensU the doctor got killed because of a bunch of malicious gossip that obviously wasn't true combined with one sick inmate that should be placed under the jail for the rest of his un-natural life.

Sorry I absolutely hate it when gossip hurts some one when it is the cause of a death that makes it even worse.

Word of mouth when it comes to selecting a professional is only so valuable research is invaluable in my opinion.

Doctor's office waiting inevitable , good time to balance the check book, catch up on reading, take a nap.I also want to point out that there is a sign posted in her office that states that those who miss an appointment will be charged 50.00.

Dang, so i am wondering maybe i should ask her for 50.00 bucks?

Best

Nova
01-09-07, 12:04 PM
There was a Seinfeld episode, that was about *that*.:D

You might want to call and ask them, what their 'appointment cancellation' procedure entails.
And ask if it's $50 added to the session cost, or only $50.

Most Docs won't charge you, if you call to cancel an appointment, in advance (like 24 hours, or more, notice before your appointment).

I also want to point out that there is a sign posted in her office that states that those who miss an appointment will be charged 50.00.

Best

Scattered
01-09-07, 01:48 PM
Being late isn't that unusal -- on several occasions I've had to wait up to an hour. Like someone already said, sometimes appointments for such do unavoidably run over.

Forgetting to call patients is pretty strange even under the circumstances, but having your professional phone disconnected is really concerning. And from what the others said that wasn't unusual behavior -- does make you wonder. I'd probably be looking elsewhere too.

Scattered

Matt S.
01-10-07, 12:07 PM
My doctor has bad add, like the prescription drama with him is nuts, he forgets some part of what should be written on it. Other times he writes me scripts a week after the last one for another month. I think it's funny

Nova
01-10-07, 10:43 PM
I think it's funny too, Mspen !

You should see my Doc and I, laughing together, at my sessions with him, because of both our ADD/HD-ness.

Crazy~Feet
01-10-07, 10:55 PM
My doc has ADHD too, and I am sooooo glad for it! Who else would get as distracted as I do when a storm makes the lights cut off, and then laugh about it after they cut back on?

I love my psydoc and all his crazy ADHD quirks.

meadd823
01-11-07, 09:08 PM
I also want to point out that there is a sign posted in her office that states that those who miss an appointment will be charged 50.00.

Sounds like a fair deal however I won't garentee they will agree, perhaps a charge for return call failure of $25.00 per missed secession sense you are inconvienced by this.

speedo
01-12-07, 12:31 AM
My doc charges $90 for a missed appointment.

I don't miss them. I was late for one once, but they worked me in and did not bil me for the trouble.

My doc hs been running late a few times and I"ve never complained. but usually it has never been more than 15 minutes or so. There was a time when it was about 30-40 minutes late, but it was explained to me when I got there, so I just waited.

It's so hard to find someone to treat adhd in adults, I think I'd hesitate before walking out because the doc was running late.

Me :D