View Full Version : I need some input here.

Furbitonic
01-03-07, 02:53 AM
Hey everybody!
But enough of the pleasantries.
I've got myself in a bind, and I seriously need some people who understand my reference point to help bail me out.
The story is as follows: I'm a junior in high school, and I've been diagnosed with ADD for two years now. I live in a small town, attend an even smaller school, and have been doing pretty damn well for myself, considering the circumstances. Seriously, half the population here doesn't really "believe" in ADD, and the other half is too busy reading all the crap on the internet about college kids abusing ritalin to have a valid opinion. I've done exceptionally well in my classes (AP Scholar! Woo!), which I suppose I can partially attribute to my "disorder." However, I've also come under a lot of flak for procrastinating, not paying attention, and just being LAZY. I read somewhere that ADD breeds tenacity, which is true for me at least, because I can't say I've ever been dramatically affected by such accusations... But now, things are changing.
I met a girl, we started dating, I wrote a fanTASTIC sort of love note to her, she said something about "joy" and "love" (I forget the details, it didn't sound important at the time), and thing's have been going along pretty smoothly. Sadly, although we have a sufficent amount of things in-common, she doesn't have ADD, and it's starting to be a problem. I take generic ritalin on a periodic basis, and it's becoming more and more difficult to explain why I can be carefree one day and stoically focused the next. Plus, my folks signed me up for counselling, which is just a barrel of monkies, and I'd REALLY like to have someone to talk to about it. We've only been dating for four months, but we've pretty much grown up with each other, so we're fairly intimate.
So I ask you, ladies and gentlemen, when is the proper time to inform my lady about my condition? I've told no one so far (the social stigma in this town would be horrific), and I'm just looking for advice and personal experience on such matters.
Thank you in advance!

loserinamailbox
01-03-07, 05:41 PM
It really shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's not like you're going to die from cancer in two weeks or have an STD (that we know of of course..). I kept mine undercover for a long, long time. One day I got so frustrated with everybody not understanding what was "wrong" with me, why I did the things I did, that I told my closest friends and a few other people who needed to know. None of them reacted badly. None were accusing. Nobody didn't believe me. The friendships actually became stronger. Telling people this secret also took about ten thousand pounds off of my shoulders.

Since you are already dating this girl, telling her will probably just tighten the relationship. Not only will she understand you much better, but it will be like she knows a secret about you that nobody else knows. You will probably feel more connected with her, trust her more as well. I would end this with a good luck but I don't think you need it :).

Swede63
01-03-07, 06:00 PM
I met a girl, we started dating, I wrote a fanTASTIC sort of love note to her, she said something about "joy" and "love" (I forget the details, it didn't sound important at the time), and thing's have been going along pretty smoothly. Sadly, although we have a sufficent amount of things in-common, she doesn't have ADD, and it's starting to be a problem. I take generic ritalin on a periodic basis, and it's becoming more and more difficult to explain why I can be carefree one day and stoically focused the next. Plus, my folks signed me up for counselling, which is just a barrel of monkies, and I'd REALLY like to have someone to talk to about it. !
I say A.S.A.P. or the relationshiip might suffer even more. Give it a try, there's a good chance that she will be understanding and it will also shed some light (for her) on those specific issues, personality traits etc.

Good Luck!

Furbitonic
01-04-07, 02:55 AM
Alright ladies, I'll give it a shot, but if things go south I am totally and completely blaming you.
Anyways thanks for the tips, I hope you guys are right... vamos a ver.

livinginchaos
01-09-07, 10:39 PM
how did it go, Furbitonic?