View Full Version : Roll Call - Michigan Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 06:37 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Michigan . Please give a brief intro.

Name

steveb
12-26-03, 04:20 PM
steveb
Male 33.
I just realized that I had ADD in 2003.
Probably Innatentive subtype.
Mine did not start until puberty, and has slowly gotten worse over the years.

My son has ADD much more severe than mine, and had his from birth. He is now 9.

My Daughter is 6 in January. I do not see ADD in her yet.

Just before Christmas, I decided to seek treatment.

ffmickey
12-26-03, 04:50 PM
lives in Clinton Twp. Michigan and has a.d.d. and I am an adult.

Christine7777
12-26-03, 09:38 PM
I am a young Grandma, just diagnosed this last summer. Can't tell you what a relief it is to finally know why I have always done things differently or felt differentl. I'm from the west side of the state. I have four kids, of which two are most assuredly AD/HD, as well. I'm glad to have the first diagnosis in the family...as it has helped these two understand themselves. Now that they realize what their condition is all about, their own self-esteem has risen greatly.

Mary
12-27-03, 12:21 PM
Hello,

I am Mary a moderator here at forums. My daughter is almost 17 and is adhd. Life has it's ups and downs...but is always interesting as Beth brings new meaning to fun because of her enjoyment of things that she loves. We do have bad days, which we try to work through together. At least I know and realize now why she is the way she is.

Mary

Christiana
01-15-04, 03:56 AM
It looks like no one else lives in Michigan.... but I do! so hi if you do too!

My name is Christiana, I live in Ann Arbor, and I'm in the process of being diagnosed with ADD.

Christiana
01-15-04, 03:58 AM
Whoops! somehow I didn't see all the other posts, so I thought mine was the only one!! nice to see all you guys! (LOL)

kat_in_mich
03-02-04, 10:46 PM
Hi my name is Joyce but everyone in here and chat room calls me kat. i live in northern michigan some call the frozen north...lol...my daughter is 9 with adhd, odd, and bipolar. she has made life interesting to say the least but in spite of it all i love her more than life.

steveb
03-03-04, 08:28 PM
How far north?

Christiana
03-11-04, 09:40 PM
yeah.... northern UP or lower peninsula? just curious!

Mary
03-16-04, 12:29 AM
I live in Michigan.. sorry, I should have posted that when I responded. I live near Coldwater.

Rockin Robin
03-25-04, 09:26 PM
I am a 30 year old mother who's daughter was just diagnosed with ADD. I am so glad that I have found all of you, I know now that I am not the only one. I too display alot of the things that my daughter has but I am undiagnosed at this point. Right now I am taking Paxil for mild depression which could be ADD. Who knows :D !
Hope to talk to ya all soon
Robin

kat_in_mich
03-31-04, 04:43 PM
i am up near the mackinaw bridge...way north...but NOT across the bridge.

blkqueen075
04-23-04, 08:10 PM
I'm in Detroit near Redford. I's 28 with ADD.

steveb
04-24-04, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forums.

pegasus49663
06-01-04, 06:37 PM
Hi,
My name is Debra everyone calls me deb, I have just started the diagnoseing process, I know that I have ADD for one reason my grand daughter has it and my grand son along with two of my daughters. I have talked to my dad about how i acted in school and he told me some things that has the claisic signs of ADD. My girlfriend is the one who realy noticed it in me and gave me a book and told me to see my counselor and then the counselor told me to see my doctor who told me to see a thearapist. I have not made the apointment yet, but plan on tomorrow. Well i guess that i am saying more than should be said. Just wanted to say hi from Cadillac Michigan. have a wonderful day and be true to yourself.

kat_in_mich
06-05-04, 07:37 AM
Hi Neighbor...i am up in wolverine which is just north of gaylord, not too too far from ya....only a couple of hours

Just thought i would send ya a welcome to the board and ask ya if you have tried the Yahoo ADD Support Rooms yet? They are a bunch of wonderful people as well you will see several on this board that also are in the Chat room. Good Luck with ya and hope to see ya around the board and the room.

Mary
06-07-04, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the ADDforums Michigan section Debra!

fogleghorn
06-10-04, 11:18 AM
Hello,
My name is Gary and live in downriver (Southgate),south of Detroit. I have yet to be diagnosed yet but looking for people to conververse with in the area. I suspect my son also has ADD I think that I have always had ADD but really has came to light

fogleghorn
06-20-04, 09:15 AM
Hi All My name is gary. I live south of Detroit, in Southgate. I am a 53 yr old Factory Rat. lolI have yet to be formally diagnosed, but working on it. Who me, procrastinate?
Nice to have met you all

steveb
06-20-04, 11:45 AM
Welcome Gary.

Mary
06-23-04, 02:29 AM
Welcome to our Michigan group Gary!

GiggleTroll
08-12-04, 01:03 PM
Hi all! My name is Martin, and I live in Sterling Hieghts.I was diagnosed the week after my 22nd birthday and I am now 24, so its still all new to me.Glad to see so many michiganians here.Two of my sisters have the occasional ADD moments, but I am the only diagnosed member of the family.I am currently a part time paralegal student but I am working in security to pay the bills until I eventually get my degree.Nice to see so many locals!:p

steveb
08-12-04, 05:33 PM
Welcome Martin.

tdesmond
08-15-04, 04:03 AM
Hey what's up.

My name is Tom (25), I live in Berkley (right by Royal Oak) in southeastern MI. I'm pretty new to the whole world of ADD, just recently (early summer 2004) realizing I'm an ADD stereotype.
I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I'm a textbook case.
I'm actually having alot of problems getting help, as I don't exactly understand how to.
A close friend (who is ADD, and who's mother is the principal of a school for problem kids in Canada) and I were working on a very stressful event project at the beginning of the summer. He had talked to me previously about his certainty (and his mother's) that I had ADD, but I had brushed it off.
Because of the immense workload and the pressing time constraints of the project we were working on, he convinced me to take a one of his Concerta.

It was like someone took the shackles off my brain for the first time in my life. I had no idea how serious my ADD problem was. It's been screwing me forever. I was one of those people that figured ADD was just psycho-babble, so I never took it seriously. But after seeing my potential realized, my views are drastically different.

Since those 2 weeks (the term of that project) of having Concerta, it's been like going back to the dark ages for me. Now I'm trying to figure out how to approach getting help, but i'm having problems. Since my friend and his mother are both over in Canada, not all of their advice ports over to me on this side of the border.

I dunno.

I found this site during a search for answers online. I normally steer clear of forums (too much flaming and meaningless drivel) but this site seems to be a little different than most. I have a child on the way, and I need to get my affairs together before October 19th so any help I can get will be much appreciated.

Peace.

sw_reader
09-10-04, 11:50 PM
Hi! My name is Tracy and I'm 23 and just graduated from MSU and moved back to the Detroit area. I have been diagnosed with ADD since I was 10.

GiggleTroll
09-11-04, 04:45 PM
Welcome! :D

Eve
09-14-04, 12:43 PM
I'm Eve, I live in the northwest part of the lower penninsala. I have ADD.

Eve
09-14-04, 12:47 PM
Oops, I don't know how my post ended up here, but since I am here hello to you!

Eve
09-14-04, 12:48 PM
Sticky must redirect you to the newest message.

GiggleTroll
09-14-04, 03:04 PM
Welcome! X3 :p

DogPatch1149
10-17-04, 11:14 PM
I'm Dana, 36 years old, married with three kids (possible ADD/ADHD in two of them so far), and I live way down in the southwestern lower corner that the locals call "Michiana".

I was ADHD back in the 70s, starting at age 3; of course, back then, it was just called "hyperactivity". Treatments with Ritalin and dexedrine failed, so my parents just buckled down and attempted to raise me as a non-ADHD child. I underperformed in school because once I learned something, I saw no need to pay attention anymore. The sole exception to that rule was band classes...straight A student in those every single year. The H part had pretty much worn off as I matured.

Went into the Navy back in 1987, one year out of high school, and did pretty well at it. It gave me the confidence and technical skills necessary to do well, but little did I know that the rigid structure of the military was hiding my still-present ADD. Got out after 10 years because I really didn't feel like being in a job involving killing people, and then the ADD began to really show up. I finally realized earlier this year that I'd never outgrown the ADD, when Lilly began running the commercial where the lady is in the meeting and ADD is described as watching TV with someone else controlling the remote and changing channels at random.

Since June, Strattera and I have formed a nice 40mg/2x daily relationship, and it's almost as if a cloud has been lifted from my brain. It took 36 years for me to finally turn the corner, but I feel like I'm beginning to come around at long last.

- Dana

P.S. Sorry, Tara...I posted, then read the word "brief" in your thread opener...I guess I kinda don't fit that definition, eh?

Livn43
11-12-04, 08:14 AM
Hi all,
Im kelly. Aka Livn. I was dxD with ADD two years ago. Went on the meds did really well but could not afford them. SO I went off. I have an appt Monday with another Doctor, closer to home, and hopefully he will rx what I need. My other Doc wanted me in everyother week and I could not continue to miss work because of it. I do not see the need either. I work for internal medicine and we never have people come back that often. Anyhow...Im glad just a Mi. forum is up and running. Any scheduled get togethers?

Kelly
OH.....Im in Waterford. 43. Single with a s/o. Two kidlings and one grandchild.

Fasthummingbird
11-15-04, 02:14 PM
HI, my name is Carol age 54, from Ann Arbor area, married 29yrs, 4 grown children, no grandchildren YET.

1997 is when I started taking meds for my ADD,have tried many, right now I'm taking
neurontin 600mg 2xday, wellbutrin XL 300mg 1 a day, zoloft 50mg 1 a day,
adderall 20mg 2xday this combination has been for 6 months now, x ing my fingers

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this board, it is put together sooooo! nicely, a wealth of
info, I'm going to be deleting most of my other boards, so I'll be back, over and out for now
fasthummingbird

steveb
01-01-05, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Dreeza
03-16-05, 06:07 PM
I never properly introduced myself :p

Im Andrea...i go to school at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor...and im a freshman

i was diagnosed when i was in 4th or 5th grade...took ritalin for awhile, then decided to stop...and then halfway through 10th grade decided to start taking it again...

now i take 54mg concerta...and 20mg ritalin when i need it

and yeah...if you want to know anything else...just ask!

Christine7777
03-16-05, 06:35 PM
Welcome fasthumming bird! I am 57 and recently diagnosed. Its nice to see another person my age recently diagnosed. Did you feel different as a kid but never knew why? I did, but now so glad I know what it was all about! Christine

exeter
03-16-05, 07:07 PM
I'm living in Michigan now! Born in MI, lived there up til 4 years ago, now back in the Flint area. If anyone knows a good psychiatrist in the area, let me know. Meanwhile, I'm contacting the county mental health people and the local hospital, so, hopefully, I'll find someone soon.

Tangerine
05-25-05, 12:53 PM
Hi all! I should have introduced myself here sooner, but that's the procrastinator in me!

I'm 21 and live in St. Joseph, a fun tourist town right on the lake in Southwest Michigan. I was diagnosed with ADD a month ago and take 25 mg of Ritalin per day after not having success with Stratterra and Adderall.

Glad to be here :)

RDtoo
07-11-05, 12:09 AM
Hello all. My name is Bob, but usually go by RD on the internet. I was diagnosed with ADD a decade ago and was put on Zoloft. All it did was make my head hurt so I quit taking it. I have thought that I could get by without any medication but have came to the point that I know I need something to help me out. I have been thinking of taking herbs instead of perscription drugs. Not sure what route to take.

I live in Wyandotte. I am 49 and single. I welcome any communication from fellow travellers

HappyTaxa
07-23-05, 09:57 AM
Hi,

I'm Sarah. I live in Waterford and go to school in Saginaw.
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I have the 1% type, where I'm not hyperactive and I didn't grow out of it.
I actually kind of like having ADD because it allows me to take in the scenery a little more than the average person.

They have a disabilities services office at my university, but I have yet to meet anyone with ADD. The disabilities services office is really helpful except when I'm taking an exam across the table from a kid with turets (sp?) syndrom lol.
It's nice to find a place where I can talk to people who can relate to me.

I took ritalin as a youngin', but now I take adderall (original recipe, not XR). I have a few posts in the Adderall forum. I hope to find some creative new study methods here that don't involve metrenomes or capsules of dried herbs and sawdust that aren't FDA regulated.

Sandpiper
08-24-05, 09:17 AM
:D Hello all, I live in northern MI, south of Traverse City. Have been on medication for about13 years. I can 'see' the genetic trail, my paternal grandfather, my dad, myself and my younger son are all AD/HD. Of course my Dad and Grandfather are undiagnosed but its pretty obvious if one looks. I have never been through a formal diagnosis, just know what works for me.

Coctail of choice: dexedrine spansules 10mg/dexostat 10mg as needed. Son is on similar meds.
Barb

Lipz17
08-24-05, 08:36 PM
Hi to all, I live in Port Huron michigan.I have a son whom was just diagnosed with ADD, a lil girl whom is ADHD,and myself with ADD known since age 5.

Craig
08-29-05, 02:50 PM
Hey all,
Just found this thread while looking for info on Concerta. I live in the Grand Rapids area. Married, 40 years old, three kids, 2 grand kids. I seem to have the inattentive type if ADHD but the diagnosis is still in progress. Still, it explains sooooo much.

Craig

LittleD1981
10-26-05, 12:01 PM
Wow, guess I never introduced myself. I'm Dana. I'm 24 and was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was 20 and ADHD when I was 21. I figured I had it since I found out what it was in high school. Currently, I'm taking Adderall XR 20mg for the ADHD, but am hopefully switching to the regular Adderall soon.

Hola all you Michiganders!

steveb
11-28-05, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the forums.

sunstarmn
11-28-05, 08:56 PM
I'm 32, married, have 3 boys (12-year-old and 10-year-old identical twins) and I live in the suburbs of Detroit. Always feel I've had ADD, just recently started getting treatment for it. I also hope to find my inner-self on this wild journey.

roses4julie
12-08-05, 12:31 AM
i live in west michigan

babette111
02-08-06, 04:35 PM
Hi,

40 years old (at least I will be in 20 days) and in Ann Arbor.

MIGirl
05-28-06, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone, I just joined, see my intro post that I just did. I live in SW Michigan, Berrien County. I moved to the mitten from NJ in November of last year.

Tangerine, I lived in st. Joe for a few months, but now live in a smaller town. I don't have health insurance, so am trying to find info on the county mental health clinic. Riverwood also may be able to help, I'm not sure if they are it or a private organization. I really need help, as I'm a single mom with 3 kids dealing with a lot of stress. My 11 year old son may have ADD, they suspected it in Kg and lately he has been not focusing and putting off his assignments until the last minute.

Anisah

Lipz17
06-02-06, 08:33 PM
I am from Michigan(Port Huron),but just moved to Oregon.Love it out here except all the darn rain,lol.

Effie
07-13-06, 09:28 AM
Hello - I am Effie, live in Grand Ledge, Michigan (it is near Lansing) and I was diagnosed with ADD, Anxiety, SAD, and Depression about seven years ago. I am just really glad that I found this forum, I am learning more and more about my ADD every day. I never really did much research about my ADD and now I am finding out that a lot of things I do are a result of it. :)

magic-mom
05-03-07, 08:45 AM
Hi everyone, My name is Linda. I live near the thumb. I am a 43 year old mother of six, grandmother of three. I am diagnosed with ADHD and depersonalization disorder. My doctor has me taking adderall.

babette111
05-03-07, 09:41 AM
Hi everyone, My name is Linda. I live near the thumb. I am a 43 year old mother of six, grandmother of three. I am diagnosed with ADHD and depersonalization disorder. My doctor has me taking adderall.

Depersonalization is a new one for me - can you explain a little about what that means?
And how has your experience with Adderall been?

barb, 41, Ann Arbor - Day 2 on Ritalin.

Michael K
07-27-07, 02:33 PM
Hi. My name is Michael. I'm new to this forum as well as forums in general.

I am 47 years old and was diagnosed initially with ADHD in 3rd grade. I was rediagnosed in my late 30's while working on my BSN. I am married with 5 children (and another on the way). So far only my eldest child has also been diagnosed with ADD. Interacting with him has been enlightening as the things he does that most annoy or frustrate me are the same types of things I did (and sometimes still do) because of having ADD.

I live in the Ann Arbor area and am hopeful that I will be able to find helpful information in this forum.

babette111
07-27-07, 03:16 PM
Hi Michael -

I've found there's an awful lot to read here so have fun!
It's a good distraction although I wonder if that's what we all really need here. ;)

barb, 41, also from A2.
(I only have 4 kids!)

Hi. My name is Michael. I'm new to this forum as well as forums in general.

I am 47 years old and was diagnosed initially with ADHD in 3rd grade. I was rediagnosed in my late 30's while working on my BSN. I am married with 5 children (and another on the way). So far only my eldest child has also been diagnosed with ADD. Interacting with him has been enlightening as the things he does that most annoy or frustrate me are the same types of things I did (and sometimes still do) because of having ADD.

I live in the Ann Arbor area and am hopeful that I will be able to find helpful information in this forum.

poisoniv61
08-19-07, 04:13 PM
Hi. I am new to the forum. My name is Debbie and I live in Grand Rapids. I was just diagnosed with combined type ADHD in the last month. I have a 6(soon to be 7) year old daughter with the same thing. I have really enjoyed this forum and have learned so much here.
Debbie

deniseo
10-02-07, 04:59 PM
hi iam denise from oscoda MI iam here for info for my 8 yearold son that was just confirmed with adhd today

happydingbat
01-28-08, 03:14 PM
Hello from grand rapids. Just joined, glad to be here!:)

ajc40
02-07-08, 07:06 PM
Hello from Allegan.
I'm a 39-year-old divorced mom and special ed. teacher with adult ADD. My daughter is also diagnosed with ADD, as are many of my students past and present.

My daughter and I have both been considered to be "gifted". We both take Strattera to keep us focused and somewhat on track. I did not get diagnosed until my early thirties. I also have anxiety related to the ADD and the feeling of never doing anything right. Luckily, we were able to get my daughter diagnosed when she was 10, so hopefully she'll have less of the ADD-related issues affecting her adversely.

I don't believe the ADD had very much to do with the divorce, but I'm sure that it contributed a great deal to our earlier struggles.

Stew
03-15-08, 07:39 AM
Stew's my nick name- aka Mark.

When I first heard of ADD in, oh, the 70's I suppose, I instantly recognized myself from as young an age as I can remember. My mom saved my report cards from elementary school and they are riddled with: Mark is obviously very bright but performs well below his abilities, Mark is often disruptive in class and speaks out of turn, Mark could perform much better if he applied himself, etc. etc,

I never so much as remotely considered any of the ADD type attributes as a negative or limitation and whether some kind of denial or not, grades were irrelevant to me-- I knew what I knew and to hell with their letters and labels. When the issue began making news and described as such a limitation and requiring medication etc. I scoffed.

That is until about 4 years ago when I was faced with losing another job and this time despite my best efforts. I still was not focused on ADD/ADHD but I knew that something had changed cognitively and it was pretty damned frightening- though I kept my fears and recognition of symptoms to myself.

I went the doctor at the time and he diagnosed major depressive disorder and Rx’d Cymbalta. It was an awakening like nothing I could have imagined. I was focused and motivated and happy-- joyful in fact... I saw the potential to return to the high performance that I thought I had lost forever....for the first 3 days or so. Then things settled into better than before, but still very problematic.

I stayed on Cymbalta for a couple years and in the course of that the doc added Concerta-- that made a big improvement, but still, I had serious symptoms that continued to cause problems for me (and my family).

I figured I was in as good shape as I was going to get and for the past couple years have done all I could through force of will to hold down my responsibilities to the family and thought I was functioning "ok" at best.

But in fact I was not and negative consequences of procrastination, lack of motivation, inability to focus, impulsivity, etc. were building on each other and about 4-5 months ago after turning in a barely adequate report, once again written in a family-neglecting nonstop 48 hour stressful marathon session, I paused in utter frustration and fear to take stock.

I saw a history of such marathon sessions with things that I had weeks to complete, lying by commission, denying behavior, over a half a million dollars in squandered net worth, quitting before firings, obstinacy, and more.

I knew and know that I am not a no-god sh*t, but in fact, in many ways, an outside observer would not be able to come to that conclusion. I had been investigating things mental since my initial diagnosis and knew that in fact, what I was probably looking at is a lifetime of ADHD- Inattentive Type and that the tactics by which I had historically compensated for it were no longer effective, or even available to me. I knew I had to do everything I could to minimize the symptoms and consequences of this condition.

I decided that I would undergo a complete physical (which I am finally scheduled to do this coming week) and in that appointment am going to insist on a referral to a psychiatrist. I am looking into support groups in the West Michigan area and also coaches. I sat down with my (long estranged due to this) wife and laid out the devastation that my impulsive actions have caused to our finances and handed over all the bills and account information, my checks and credit/debit cards, and locked myself out of accessing the accounts for withdrawal with the banks. It wasn't (and still isn't) pretty.

I have always loathed being accountable and restricted in any way. I didn't want to do it, and still don't, but thank God; my sense of duty to my family has finally over ridden my obstinacy in this area.

I understand that a great majority of my behavior and therefore circumstances are due to a biochemical dysfunction of some sort-- but I feel such embarrassment and shame. Not necessarily for the effects of the condition, but that it required reaching such proximity to complete devastation before seriously addressing it.

Still, I retain confidence and optimism about myself and the future and based on the stories of success by others, I believe that I will move forward in a manner that adequately contributes to my family's needs-- including downsizing our lifestyle so that the demands are not so intense.

I look forward to participating here and assure you that not all my posts will be such lengthy tomes. ;) But I am just coming to reckon seriously with this situation, so still have some cathartic venting in me with few outlets.

DeLL
04-05-08, 01:07 AM
I'm a Yooper, diagnosed with ADHD in 8th grade I think.. I don't remember to be honest. I haven't taken meds since my sophomore year in high school, but I am thinking about getting on something. I just don't want to lose the ability to hyperfocus on things.

ADDAWAY
04-05-08, 01:11 AM
The meds HELP with focus ... talk about ultrafocus (coined by Luthien)! go, GO, GO Yoop!

meadd823
04-11-08, 01:29 AM
so Michigan is where "Grillin' in the USA" is - I have been wondering where that was forever but kept forgetting to ask. . .. I am bad about that forgetting thing some times.

whitedaikan
05-12-08, 10:25 PM
im almost 22- just diagnosed 3 months ago and WOW what a relief!!! lol I am currently in my 2nd week of classes at my THIRD college but I am finally performing to my academic ability with the help of the chemical wonder that is focalin xr. I frequent tiger's stadium and bars/coffee shops in the metro detroit area. I love detroit and MI despite the economic problems- I have lived here my whole life (minus some time in albion and kalamazoo). anyways- just a friendly hello to all you MIders

Mary
05-12-08, 10:27 PM
im almost 22- just diagnosed 3 months ago and WOW what a relief!!! lol I am currently in my 2nd week of classes at my THIRD college but I am finally performing to my academic ability with the help of the chemical wonder that is focalin xr. I frequent tiger's stadium and bars/coffee shops in the metro detroit area. I love detroit and MI despite the economic problems- I have lived here my whole life (minus some time in albion and kalamazoo). anyways- just a friendly hello to all you MIders

Welcome to ADDForums! I'm also from Michigan.

RussianRockit
08-07-08, 02:56 PM
Hey, yeah I was diagnosed halfway through high school with add. Took stratterra for it but it made me feel like a zombie so i stopped until college. I started on Adderrall and like it alot, but after awhile i was still all over the place. Then I found this forum and it has been a lifesaver. I never knew much about add and the behavioral side of it. I was always just told "you cant pay attention well". Now I am going to start making some moves. Oh yeah, My name is Yuri (it is russian), 22, born and raised in Troy (metrodetroit). I go to WMU in Kalamazoo.

p.s. the wings are going to win the cup again.

merlin8015
08-07-08, 09:57 PM
OK, i'm not from Michigan but I am seriously considering moving to the St. Clair Shores area. Can anyone tell me more about the area. We have friends that we visit often in Windsor, ON. We want to get the heck outta Jersey. Any info would be great.

Mary
08-07-08, 10:32 PM
Welcome, Yuri!

Mary
08-07-08, 10:40 PM
Hi Merlin, I know that I love traveling through that area..even though I live further to the south/central area.

willzzz
08-31-08, 10:10 PM
Hello. I'm Will and I'm from the northwest suburbs of Detroit (more closer to Ann Arbor maybe). Anyways I've finally got diagnosed a couple of months ago during the summer after my senior year of high school. I highly regret that I got diagnosed so late as I could have done a lot better in HS and gotten admission to the college of my dreams (yep the one in Ann Arbor that bleeds Maize n' Blue!). Anyways I go to the commuter college now (UMich-Dearborn) and am this year after being on medication hoping to working up to my potential and hopefully finally find some success in life. Living life with ADD is tough but bearable. :confused: Also diagnosed as Asperger's, which more or less means I'm quiet and keep to myself (that maybe why I was diagnosed late, my parents always thought something was wrong but couldn't get it dx'ed properly!)

andyum
09-20-08, 11:51 AM
Just discovered that there was a Michigan thread. New member from the Muskegon area.

Veggymel
09-28-08, 11:08 AM
Hey I also just found this thread, I am in Sterling Heights area ;-) Nice to see so many of us Michiganders here ;-)

Gianfranco Zola
12-26-08, 12:20 AM
Gianfranco Zola (Obviously not my real name)
Living in Rochester.
21, was diagnosed when I was quite young, around two-four. I wasn't a very talkative person and when I did speak, it came out in a form on antimetabole. Something such as "House that see."

varkjie
12-15-09, 03:32 PM
Hiya fellow Michiganders! I'm in Holland, mi for now we are looking to buy a house in the Grand Rapids suburbs area so will be there later on. I just moved here from Minnesota.
I got Diagnosed when I was about 23 and never really medicated because I didn't want to take the meds unless I had to. I started school 2 years ago which is why I now medicate. It's amazing to be able to open a textbook and actually read, follow along, and understand what I am reading. Even if the classes are boring! I would have had such success in high school had I been able to get diagnosed sooner. But I guess everything happens for a reason!

I guess that turned into a lengthy hello? lol anyways Hi!

leapofaith
12-29-09, 11:41 PM
Hi!
My name is Heather, I live in westland mi. I'm a mom of 2 boys 9 and 3. I am a retierd retied fire fighter and paramedic since 2003 due to severe back injury. Multiple surgeries later, here I am. I am planning on going back to school in the fall when 3 y/o enters head start. Crossing my fingers, hopping I can pull it off. Right now I am kinda stuck at home. The little who is not so little, can't get into the car by him self yet. I can't lift him either. Its a miracle I am not a complete nut job. LOL I was dx 2 years ago w/ ADHD. Slowly but surely life is improving....
I would love to find some ADD friends in Mich. for some actual face to face socializing. PM me if interested...

innaminute
12-30-09, 09:27 AM
Just saw this!

I live in the Detroit Metro area. Have also lived in Northern Lower Michigan (Traverse City). I'm a transplant, but I love Detroit and Michigan. The city and state have my heart and I really hope we can be magnificent again.

Btw, if you feel like hyperfocusing sometime, Detroit history and sociology make for some interesting rabbit holes. :)

Fiver
02-08-10, 06:04 PM
Greetings...
<O:p
I was born and live in Kalamazoo and suffer from severe ADD (inattentive type). I'm 46 years of age. I was born with the disorder according to reports of my behavior since birth, was diagnosed as a child aged 10, before it was called ADD, took Ritalin which was effective until I was taken off of it at the age of 15 and quit high school by 17. I was diagnosed as an adult in 1993. At that time the questionnaire was called "The Copeland symptoms checklist." I scored in the 90 percentile. I'm not certain whether any statistics actually exist for people like me. If they do, I haven't been able to find them but then again, I do have severe ADD. I've never held a job longer than a year and have not worked one that required a W2 form for almost 17 years. I am completely indigent and survive with the assistance of others...
<O:p That's the short, no frills version except to say that my life has been a perpetual nightmare. The long version sounds more like a Dickens novel and I've gotten to the point where I can appreciate why people tend to reject it as a sob story. That having been said; I'm looking for help, if there is any for someone like me.
I don't know what else to say...<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Thank you,<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Fiver

O'Doyle
03-23-10, 01:42 AM
Greetings all, new member from Grand Rapids here.

I've been ADHD-PI my whole life--since the years they just labeled us as "lazy" or "stupid" back before people knew any better. My earliest memories of elementary school are a confusing & frustrating juxtaposition of being placed in the "gifted" class and excelling in logic, & accelerated reading--and me, stuck in the attic of the damned school by myself, trying to listen to tape recordings of the lessons for the rest of the subjects just so I could pay attention. It still didn't work, by the way...

High school was good, because there were enough opportunities for me to choose electives I liked (band, choir, etc.), but my initial run(s) at college weren't so hot.

Now I'm in my early 30's, married to a wonderful ADHD-PH woman (yeah, we're an interesting combo), and we just had a beautiful daughter whom I'm sure will have the worst ADD on the *planet* with parents like us :D

I'm in GR Just finishing up my final semester on campus at my (3rd? 4th? one of those) attempt at undergrad.

GPA then: 0.79 (yeah, you gotta *want* that...)
GPA now: 3.879! (double-majored, too.)
It IS possible, fellow ADDers--just find a major you enjoy!

nice to meet you all,

~a

WorkAholic
02-01-12, 01:19 PM
Hi I live in Oakland County and have been on a nightmare search for a new doc since I moved back from California. Every doctor I've seen here doesn't seem to believe in "offscribing."

My tolerance is high for some reason and even with a note from my old pdoc stating the doses I was on, I still can't find anyone. I had to drop my classes and am in serious depression. Does anyone know of doctors? I'm willing to drive 3 hours if I have to get this under control.

salleh
02-01-12, 04:58 PM
I live in Michigan 1/2 the year and California the other 1/2 .....and I have a [pretty good pdoc here in St; Joseph .....( extreme western and southern part of the state......we can see the lights of Chicago at night from the bluffs....)

but that doc in Grand Rapids sounds fab.......my doc wouldn't go so far as to let me try dexoyn during this horrendous shortage, and the first adderall I tried ....took double my usual Dex IR dosage and still nothing .....and I take 90 to 100 mg of dex .....then I switched to Barr adderall ....and had a short but sweet honeymoon period with that ...( slightly less than dex ) but it is not noticible now ....

however, it feels like when I take dex ...after 15 years of that ....I can't "Feel " that either .....but I sure notice the difference when I tried the Sandoz adderall ! .....

Melmo24
04-13-12, 06:26 PM
Hi,
I have been a member of these forums for awhile, but just discovered this Michigan part.

I am 26, diagnosed as an adolescent, and I live in southwestern Michigan in a small town. I am a lifetime resident of "michiana" but only recently crossed over from the indiana side to the Michigan side:)

Nice to meet you all!