View Full Version : books for inattentive ADD

mochakk
01-05-07, 05:18 PM
Hello,

I've posted a couple of times and have found this forum to be one of the best and most active I've visited. Thanks for everyone's replies! I haven't "formally" introduced myself. I'm out in San Diego, working as a book editor. I like to cycle and practice yoga, but lately a lot of my free time has been spent researching ADHD. After a few weeks exploration with my psychiatrist (was seeing him already for depression), he's concluded that I fit the bill for a diagnosis of inattentive ADD.

It's actually a relief to have a name for some of these confusing patterns I see in myself. I'd always done well in school, so it didn't occur to me that ADD was a possibility, but I've often received feedback about being "off task" (in school) or in the clouds. And it has been problem at work too, with my supervisors unable to understand why I'd forget to complete tasks as they'd ask and frustrated because I'd done very well on the editing tests I'd taken as part of the hiring process. I've been trying so hard to not "work in a vacuum" and ask more questions rather than assume I'm going about things as requested. I've also started taking Concerta (18 mg going up to 27 this week). It has really helped me feel more energized and motivated in addition to helping my mood - not sure how it's affecting my focus yet which is why the dr. upped the dosage).

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any books/Websites, or other material that is specifically for people with the inattentive variant of ADD?

Thanks so much,
Kyla

AndreaPurple
01-07-07, 10:37 AM
Hi Kyla,

Welcome!! Nice to meet you!:D I don't have an answer for you, but it's a very good question and I would love to know the same thing. I am also predominantly inattentive.

So you're in San Diego huh? I love it out there, my husband and I spent 2 weeks there for our honeymoon, 9 years ago. I'd love to go back some day!

FuturePast
01-07-07, 12:42 PM
I think Sari Solden's "Women with Attention Deficit Disorder" (http://www.sarisolden.com/products.html) would be the most appropriate.

Thomas Brown's "Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults" (http://www.drthomasebrown.com/books/index.html) explores ADHD as a problem of executive dysfunction which seems most relevant to i-add.

mochakk
01-07-07, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the book recommendations, FuturePast. I will look into those. I'm currently reading "Delivered from Distraction," which lays out some good information. I've also looked at the author's book "Crazy Busy," which I find very interesting, laying out the idea that the modern world really bombards us with stimuli that can make anyone feel distracted and inattentive. What I'm trying to do is find ways to screen out stuff I don't need and make clearer choices about what I want to put my attention on. Don't we all! Even as I type this, I'm trying to make decisions about how to focus the rest of my day. Do I finish the manuscript I need to complete for a friend and am already delayed on? Do I go out running with another friend I haven't seen in a long time, which will require most of the afternoon as she lives down south? And I haven't yet sat down to review 2006 and lay out my goals/intentions for 2007. And then I need to find some decent "winter" shoes, drastically improve my meal planning, and consider whether I want to tell my supervisor at work about my ADD diagnosis, weighing the pros and cons. I did buy the book "Getting It Done," which looks like it presents a wonderful way to whittle down the information inundation and get organized, so I need to work on that too! I guess one step at a time. I can't get it all done today.

Thanks for the welcome, Andrea. I do like San Diego too. I've been here about 4 years and love this climate and being near the ocean. Hope you can make it out for another visit.

Kyla

PeaceIn
01-07-07, 01:31 PM
Welcome! I also recommend "You Mean I'm Not Crazy, Lazy, Or Stupid?"

~muddled~
01-16-07, 02:51 AM
here's a link to an excerpt of the book Women with Attention Deficit Disorder by Sari Solden. check it out. :)

~muddled~
01-16-07, 02:59 AM
hehehe i forgot to post the link... crazy me! here 'tis http://www.sarisolden.com/excerpts.html

enjoy!