View Full Version : Roll Call - Nebraska Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 06:46 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Nebraska . Please give a brief intro.

Name

Nucking_Futs
02-03-04, 05:10 PM
:( Please, don't tell me I'm the only one. I'm Cherity (ADHD). I'm married to a non-ADD'er luckily he's a good sport. We have three children; Dakota (ADHD/deep depression), Alexis (ADHD) and our newest edition Garrett (1 month and too cute for words lol).

We live near Kearney and both my husband and I work in Kearney. My husband works for Baldwin Filters and I am a medication assistant. And yes we are trying to get a support group together in this area not only for those who have ADD but for the spouse's/parent's who have to live with us.

Nucking_Futs
04-26-04, 10:10 AM
:confused:

Daisy
04-28-04, 06:48 PM
Hi, new member here from Nebraska! Originally from Kearney but now living in the panhandle! I have found out this week that my daughter is ADHD-I. Still feeling frustrated and scared

Nucking_Futs
04-29-04, 09:20 AM
:D Daisy:D

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live about 30 minutes from Kearney, pretty close to the Axtell area. I've been praying for another Nebraskan to join.

I have three children, my son 10 ADHD/Deep depression, a daughter 8 ADHD and a four month old son. I, myself am ADHD and trust me getting your daughter diagnosed at a younger age is definatly a step in the right direction. Joining the forum's were you will not only find advice, support and friendship offered freely without a price is another step.

OK, so you have a diagnose's--keep in mind that your daughter was NOT handed a death sentence. She may very well have been handed a key to excelling in a world were multi tasking is one of the most important traits employer's look for.

The real question I'm sure your asking is how do we get her there. Support, love, encouragement, positive reinforcement, therapy, drug therapy (if needed), most of all YOU. Your daughter need's you to be on her side and to know that your on her side right now.

Your about to embark on a wonderful and frightening and exasperating journey. There will be day's when you want to scream and hide from your daughter because she's driving you nut's, that is completly normal. Come vent to us, you never know chances are one of the forum member's has been thru the same situation and can offer advice and support. If not they will at least let you know they are on your side.

I invite you to read old post's that may apply to some of your daughter's behaviour's and if you see nothing that applies feel free to ask any question's what so ever. Your daughter is our future and is very important to us and so are you.

On day's you feel like just giving up, give us at the forum a hollar, there are a lot of success stories. So, gird your strength, gather your courage; but, most of all trust your heart.

If you have any question's on how to work forum feature's or were to find specific information please feel free to ask me that is why I'm here.:)

Hugs,
Cherity

p.s. it's OK to be frightened, sometimes I'm still scared I'm not doing right by my kid's it a normal fear for ALL parent's.

Daisy
04-29-04, 10:49 AM
Thank you!!! I appreciate your nice words and genuine concern, I couldnt believe it when I found this web page and found that there are people out there that understand and care.
I am fighting my daughters school right now because they are unfamiliar with all of this. We live in a small town and according to the school, they have never dealt ADHD. I have a hard time believing that no one has had it but I do strongly believe that no one would ever test their child. That is where most of my frustration is coming from.
Thanks again!!

Nucking_Futs
04-29-04, 10:53 AM
Small town you say? How small? I live in a town of 234. We just consolidated with another school and thing's are NOT going as well as promised.

They tried the whole sweep it under the rug. It would help to know exactly what issue's you are fighting over.

Daisy
04-29-04, 04:47 PM
Our town in about 900, my daughter has 13 in her 3rd grade class. We are consolidating next year with another school too! The main issues that I am working on is to have them acknowledge that she has it and to work with us on what might help her. All they can say is that she is a bad, mean and disruptive kid. It really hurts me when they say this because my daughter is also a very caring, creative, loving and beautiful girl! Her teacher this year is 60some years old and this is her last year teaching. She is not open-minded and does not like change.
I think that pretty much sums it up........

Andrew
04-29-04, 08:38 PM
Daisy,

Have you talked to your State Advocate (http://www.bigsplace.com/advocate)?Have you read up on IEPs and the 504 law (http://www.wrightslaw.com)?

Those are a couple of good places to start. Make sure you know your rights! Your school certainly does, but wont suggest anything to you. You need to TELL them that you know your rights, and explain what they HAVE to do to help you.

If you need help after that, consult your state advocate...s/he is there to help you!

Nucking_Futs
04-30-04, 07:22 PM
Daisy,

First off hug's. We've been thru the whole getting the school system to acknowledge our children were "SPECIAL" (and they are so special these kid's but I'll get into that in a minute). It finally came down to threat's of lawsuit's after 1 year of fighting. We ended getting a diagnose's written by their doctor and therapist stating that the school was to have them FULLY tested by their next appt. I then had a written paper from a lawyer saying if they do NOT meet these requirement's legal issue's will then commence. The school doesn't inform you that they only have a certain amount of time to get your daughter socially, intellectually and psychologically tested or they are found in fault by the State of Nebraska.

My daughter was found to be very naive and a little behind her class. With the help of a tutor we hired from the local college and summer classes she has caught up to her class and is excelling. With excelling comes such thing's as self esteem, hope, she is more out going and confidant.

My son was found to actually be a certified genius. He is in the fourth grade and has a student teacher sit with him during classroom hour's because he does eighth and ninth grade work because he is not emotionally ready to move on. With more challenging work his impulsiveness, outburst's and instances of physical violence toward's other children were cut down to almost non existant.

It's hard I know. I was not a very outspoken person until I had to fight for my kid's. I would not start out with threat's of lawsuit's. Try your hardest to reach agreement's it will only make life much easier on your daughter.

You said they called your daughter mean? Are you sure this is not a self defense mechanism? Kid's can be so cruel, we went thru the samething with out daughter and found out that the girl's were being cruel beyond belief to her and the only way she felt she had a voice was with her fist's. This may not be your daughter's problem BUT it is worth looking into.

I will log on to my record's tonight and find the book's that have helped us a lot. Because, your life is about to change a lot of it when applied to everyday living will only better both your daughter and your life in the long run.

Some instances. The first thing a therapist will tell you is to not spank--it reinforces physical outburst's to settle a problem. MY own theory is the lesson is lost as soon as their butt stops stinging anyway's.

We cut all caffeine, chocolate and as much food coloring and preservatives out of their diet's as possible. Caffeine is a stimulant which only makes impullsive behaviour's worse.

One book I would definatly read is ODD GIRL OUT. The is also a thread in chit chat about the book. It's about recognizing how female's bully each other. Female bullying is NOt like the male world they are subtle and it's almost unnoticable unless you know what to look for.

Many hugs and prayers for you and your little one.
Cherity

antkneemom65
08-05-04, 12:18 PM
Hi I just wanted to say Hi from another Nebr town--Central City-and hugs to all nebraskens here.

Nucking_Futs
08-06-04, 09:28 PM
Hello Robin,

I'm not entirely sure were Central City is...I'll ask the "big guy" when I get home. Is it anywere near the Kearney area? And I just have to ask how you heard about the forums...it wasn't some crazy lady at the clinic who just happened to notice we may have a lot in common was it? *grins*

Prairiewind
10-05-04, 09:31 PM
Hiya! I'm Nebraksan, born & bred, and proud of it! Grew up in the Eastern half, now living in the panhandle. Nice to meet all of you!

Nucking_Futs
10-05-04, 10:17 PM
Hello Prairie (love the name by the way),

It's very nice to have you join us here at the forums. I hope you find the forum members as thoughtful as I have. Stay awhile laugh, cry, learn new ways to handle ADD and celebrate success with us.

I'm a transplanted Californian but claim Nebraska as my home and proud of it as well. I live near Kearney in a very small teeny tiny town lol.

I'm ADHD/PTSD/OCD/Depression my son (10) is ADHD-impulsive/Deep depression and my daughter is ADD-inattentive/ODD.

A lot of the Nebraska members have not posted in awhile; but, I'm hoping with some dilegence and advertising (word of mouth) we can get this part of the forum really moving.

Good luck,
Cherity

LifesADance
12-10-04, 01:02 PM
Hello all! Another NE member here...in Lincoln.
I have been lurking on the site for some time and trying to learn more about ADHD, the medication that I am on, and coping strategies. It is a slow process, but I am confident that things will improve! :)

Paul

Nucking_Futs
12-11-04, 11:03 AM
Welcome Paul,

Nobody promised life would be easy. Luckily, you've just landed yourself in a hot bed of wisdom, advice and never ending support. Welcome to the forums!!! I hope that you find the support and hope that I have from the forums.

I too am ADHD among other issue's lol they tend to travel in pairs or multiples. Educating yourself is a slow process but it honestly does make learning to live productivly with ADHD a lot more easy.

Cherity

Prairiewind
02-15-05, 10:18 PM
LifesADance! I lived in Lincoln for about 15 years. I loved it. I miss it. But now I'm a Western Nebraskan and am enjoying it too. I hope this thread stays open too, 'cause Nebraskans are special:)

Prairiewind
02-15-05, 10:21 PM
Nope, you're not the only one:) I'd rather not give my real name. I'm in the panhandle. Have ADD. Using Cylert & Lexapro.

Nucking_Futs
02-15-05, 11:37 PM
It's so nice to see your still with us Prairiewind I was beginning to think I was the only active Nebraska member.

Nucking_Futs
02-15-05, 11:41 PM
I am not medicated but am looking into it the only real problem is I don't react well to a lot of meds so we have to be careful. My son on the other hand is doing really well with Stratterra. Do not worry using your real name is a personal preference and is not required for support here at the forums.

I'm off to work but do hope to get the chance to show you just how supportive we can be here.

Hugs,
Cherity

Vertigo_09
03-01-05, 12:37 PM
Hello forum,
My name is Lynda and I live in western Nebraska. I was diagnosed with ADD last May and the medication has been wonderful. I have read a few books now on the disorder and wish that I had known what I had 20 years ago, oh well.
My son was diagnosed last month with ADHD and has done better on medication.
I wish everyone well and to hang in there

Nucking_Futs
03-01-05, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Vertigo

I, myself was dx ADHD/OCD/PTSD, my son 11 is ADHD/PTSD/depression, my daughter 9 is ADHD/ODD. I also have a linear thinking husband and an infant. I look forward to reading more of your posts and hope that you find the forums as supportive and informative as I have.

Cherity

p.s. First step in dealing with ADD IMHO is to change your way of thinking...focus on the positive aspects first then tackle the negatives. Balance makes everything just a little more hopeful.

Prairiewind
03-20-05, 09:46 PM
Today is Palm Sunday. It has been awhile. I have to admit that I keep forgetting about this section of the forums; the different states. I'm very glad it's spring! I'm ready for some warm weather. I heard meadowlarks recently and in the last two days, wrens. The robins also came early this year, which makes me wonder if we're going to have a normal spring. I hope we have lots of rain as I'm sick of the dirt blowing around. Ah, the wind. It blows strong and constantly when the seasons change. We are seeing the beginnings of thunderheads forming, but right now they are soft and wispy. But they are coming. I just hope we more than hail.
Oh yeah, here's an interesting piece of trivia: The guy who wrote "Goodfellas", Henry Hill  he's living in North Platte and was recently picked up for possession of drugs.

Prairiewind
03-20-05, 09:55 PM
What exactly are positive aspects of ADD? They say we're intelligent and creative but I haven't gone to college, and don't have a clue about what to create. That's too vague and doesn't give me much direction. And I spend too damn much time feeling sorry for myself and not accomplishing anything. I'm too afraid to live life. Sometimes I wish I could just go live in a cave by myself the rest of my life.

auntapple
05-27-05, 09:20 AM
HI! Good day to all, my name is April. I am a 32 year old female, diagnosied with Adult ADD about a year ago, and also PSTD and Anxiety. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska. I am looking for people to talk to to help me get through this. I also have a 7 year old son who has ADHD/Bipolar disorder, who is going to be placed outsied of the home for a while. I am a single mom and his father says there is nothing wrong with him. I am trying to get myself better so I am able to deal with him better. Thank you all in advance for listenting to me and for all the advice and support I know I will receive here. Talk to you all soon. Have a wonderful day!!!!!!

Nucking_Futs
05-27-05, 10:05 AM
HI! Good day to all, my name is April. I am a 32 year old female, diagnosied with Adult ADD about a year ago, and also PSTD and Anxiety. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska. I am looking for people to talk to to help me get through this. I also have a 7 year old son who has ADHD/Bipolar disorder, who is going to be placed outsied of the home for a while. I am a single mom and his father says there is nothing wrong with him. I am trying to get myself better so I am able to deal with him better. Thank you all in advance for listenting to me and for all the advice and support I know I will receive here. Talk to you all soon. Have a wonderful day!!!!!!

Hi aunt, I'm Cherity (32) ADHD/PTSD/OCD/Depression. I have 3 children; my oldest is 12 ADHD/Depression (process of being tested for bi-polar), my daughter is 9 ADD/ODD and the baby is 1 1/2.

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time right now and that your son must be placed outside the home for awhile. With a lot of hard work there is always hope.

If you need anything please let me know.
Cherity (ops I almost forgot, my brother lives in Lincoln small world isn't it? I myself am in the Kearney county area).

anissa
08-11-05, 03:30 PM
I thought i would take a moment to introduce myself. I'm 36 year old female with 3 teen kids. I was diagnosed this year with bipolar, fibromyalgia and degenertive arthritis.
I've had to make a choice between counseling and physical therapy... well i chose physical therapy. I haven't found anyone who knows how to really treat all of my conditions. So i have like 4 different Drs. Would be nice just to fine ONE Dr that can treat all of them and help me learn how to cope with all of them.

Anyway, i live in a dinky down outside of Lincoln and I can not work now because of these. Theres not much here. But we make it :)

I look forward to getting to know you all

anissa

Imnapl
08-12-05, 11:26 PM
Welcome Anissa,

I have degenerative arthritis that really announced itself last year. I'd choose the physical therapy first, too. Welcome to ADDforums.

I_Forgot...
08-17-05, 06:41 AM
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Nebraskans...So....Hello!

Nucking_Futs
08-17-05, 07:33 AM
I thought i would take a moment to introduce myself. I'm 36 year old female with 3 teen kids. I was diagnosed this year with bipolar, fibromyalgia and degenertive arthritis.
I've had to make a choice between counseling and physical therapy... well i chose physical therapy. I haven't found anyone who knows how to really treat all of my conditions. So i have like 4 different Drs. Would be nice just to fine ONE Dr that can treat all of them and help me learn how to cope with all of them.

Anyway, i live in a dinky down outside of Lincoln and I can not work now because of these. Theres not much here. But we make it :)

I look forward to getting to know you all

anissa

Welcome to to the forums Anissa we're glad to have you.

I think everyone here would have chosen physical therapy first.

I too have three children. My son is 12, my daughter is 9 and our baby is 1 1/2.

I live in a rinky dink town as well.

Have you looked into disability yet? If not let me know and I will help you find the right links to apply for aid and a state advocate to ensure you are not brushed under the carpet. Its not much I'm sure but every little bit does help.

Another thing to consider is going back to school. My sister is disabled and cannot perform her current job duties due to a back injury and surgery. The state is pretty much paying for her education due to the fact its cheaper to get her independant then to continue making payments for the rest of her life. Something to look into anyways.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Cherity

ps Lincoln you say? My eldest brother just bought a house in Lincoln and we'll be heading out for a day at the end of the month. I like the shops but don't care much for the traffic. lol

Nucking_Futs
08-17-05, 07:34 AM
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Nebraskans...So....Hello!

Hello I_Forgot,

My name is Cherity.

Can you tell us a little more about yourself?

I_Forgot...
08-17-05, 09:24 AM
Sure I can tell some more about myself, I am 26, and have ADD, with socal anxiety issues, and depression. The only thing my Mom thought I should have treatment with medication for when I was diagnosed will all at 12, was the depression. Since then I have been on and off various antidepressants. I decided 2 years ago that I have still I just wasn't 'right', why was I always the one forgetting everything, always doing poorly in college courses, realizing that my house seemed unually disorganized compared to my friend's houses. I could never get a handle on things. So I decided to get some help. I started taking metadate cd and effexor xr, I took meds for 8 months until my insurance changed, and wouldn't cover my appointments or the meds, so I decided that I could do without them, and that all would be ok. Needless to say.....I was pretty wrong. I have had to put myself on the back burning during the last year, which was also the wrong choice to make. My son who is 4 is also ADD, and I am suspecting some other underlaying issues yet to be diagnosed. We went through a year of counciling and behavior managment, but I think I got more out of it than he did. He was really suffering at daycare, having issues with anger b/c he would take turns, and he wouldn't stay on task, and when he was repremended for it, he would blow up. At home he was having issues as well but not as bad, we obviously aren't as structured as daycare, and not as many distractions. Things just really started falling apart around him so the doctors and I decided to put him on meds, he started taking ritalin first, it wore off too fast, and he was getting rages, so ritalin la was next, but he developed a tic right away, and was having issues with hallucinations at night. He was taken off of that, and is now on Focalin XR, and it is working wonders. Through all of this, like I said, I put myself on the back burning, I realized that with me and the house not being in order and all that this is effecting him as well. So I am back on meds now, and I am planning on staying on them this time.

Nucking_Futs
08-17-05, 12:21 PM
I can certainly empathize and sympathize with you. As the mother of three children I am often my last consideration if I give my needs any consideration at all, you will find a lot of mothers/fathers here who can also sympathize and support you.

Visit the household tips and tricks section I gave you the link in your forum introduction. If you do not find an area that pertains to you feel free to start posting one room a week and see if anyone has any ideas on how to organize that part of your life, then move to another room once you've got a handle on things.

Once you have organization it is much easier to maintain I promise, getting there is the hard part any number of us can tell you that. Its just another day in the life of an ADD'er. lol

Have you considered a different daycare for your son?

Hugs,
Cherity

andiemedic
08-17-05, 11:56 PM
Hey just dropping in to say Hi, I'm new to the site and from NE

andrea :p

anissa
08-18-05, 01:07 PM
hi, i'm sorry i havent responded lately. I've been pretty busy with physical therapy and kids going to school. I live in Crete. Compared to Lincoln it is a dinky town. I moved here from Illinois from a town of 300. I'm married. I have 3 kids, one no longer lives with me. They are all teens.
I have looked into disability. I was turned down once. I got an attorney and we are in the appeals process. When it was just the bipolar and fms, my chances were slim. But now the arthritis kind of kicked it up.
As i said i am married, but it seems that my husband lately just doesn't care about my pain. He thinks i use it as an excuse to not do things, or i look for a pity party. Well thats one thing i am FAR from. I suvived an abusive marriage, took care of 3 teens alone for 5 years, and lived with these undiagnosed illnesses for over 10 years. Pity is NOT something i ever seek. But i guess he just doesnt' understand what it feels like to have your independence taken away and to wake up every morning with your body feeling like someone just beat the crap out of you over and over and over. And thats a good day.
It does get frustrating not really having anyone to really talk to about this. Because after a while friends, well they dont want to hear it either. So i bottle it all up. Counselors are no help with this. I found that out. They want to talk about the past etc. There seems to be no one for that step by step recovery. I am no where near who i was 2 years ago. I'm not as happy as i use to be. And I am more depressed than i use to be. I give up faster. And that irritates me to no end because thats not me.
anyway.... hopefully I can get ONE Doc to actually do more than just pat me on the shoulder and say here take these and call me in the morning. Before the diagnosis they were sooooo willing to help. Now its like... well...here's your pills.
Anyway, sorry for unloading on you all. Just one of those days.

thanks
Anissa

Nucking_Futs
08-18-05, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the forums Andie!!!!!!!!!

anissa
08-19-05, 01:50 PM
I know this is a forum for ADD. But with bipolar, fibrmyalgia and degenerative arthritis, there is a hint of ADD in my ... persona... i guess. The docs say there is a hint of it. But for me its natural. Everyone knows i jump from one thing to another, subject to subject. But it doesn't interfere with my life as much as the FMS and the arthritis...

If anyone would love to meet that live near lincoln, i'd love to meet you.
Take care
Anissa

Nucking_Futs
08-19-05, 04:39 PM
I know this is a forum for ADD. But with bipolar, fibrmyalgia and degenerative arthritis, there is a hint of ADD in my ... persona... i guess. The docs say there is a hint of it. But for me its natural. Everyone knows i jump from one thing to another, subject to subject. But it doesn't interfere with my life as much as the FMS and the arthritis...

If anyone would love to meet that live near lincoln, i'd love to meet you.
Take care
Anissa

Anissa,

I'm beginning to wonder if you have stretched your wings any within the forums or do you just stick to this section? Unfortunatly, we don't have many Nebraska members at the moment and I'm the most active whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I am unsure. lol

But, I hope that you take the time to look around a little. You will find that we have other members who suffer from early onset arthritis as you do, FMS and Bi-Polar as ADD usually comes with a few partners in crime.

That does not mean that I won't support we/I won't support you here; but, I think it would be beneficial for you to meet and speak with members who have more in common with yourself. I will try and find some links for you in a few minutes that may be of some interest.

I'd also like you to consider joining our private support section for survivors of domestic violence. I am a member as many ADD'ers seem to make the wrong mistakes at least once where relationships are concerned or their childhoods weren't the best because their parents couldn't understand them. You don't have to post anything until you are comfortable with the ladies and remember nobody knows your there or can read your post but those who have experianced domestic violence themselves.

I have found that getting all around support for all of my mental and physical issues is important to healing and learning to live my life in a more positive direction. I know it seems helpless now but just give our amazing members a chance.

Hugs
Cherity

ps I am planning a get together for the Nebraska members sometime in the near future. I thought about making it a yearly thing if we have a good turn out and the members enjoy themselves.

andiemedic
08-19-05, 05:03 PM
Hey Anissa,

It's nice to meet you. My name is Andrea, and I live on the outskirts of Omaha, but travel to Lincoln quite frequently. My brother lives there and I teach a few classes in Lincoln.
Anytime you need to talk feel free to e-mail me.
andrea :D

anissa
08-23-05, 01:36 PM
thank you, and no i hadn't stretched my wings. Thank you for the suggestion. I have gone and looked and its beena great help.

How do i join the private groups for Abused women and those type. Says a password, but i dont have one....

Nucking_Futs
08-23-05, 03:15 PM
Well Anissa you have come to the right place for help with the passwords.

Each private section has a moderator listed in the heading. Click the moderator's name and it will take you to their profile from there you can access their private messages. Send the moderator's of the sections you'd like to join a private message asking for the passwords.

I've got to take care of some stuff right now but will be back.
C.

muffin47
09-13-05, 11:33 AM
Hi! My name is Deb and I live in Lincoln...I didn't realize I had ADD until I saw a commercial about an ADD med...I did some research on ADD and realized I had it.
Finally the problems I had when I was younger, and still have, make sense..I talked to my Dr. about it and he agreed...I'm not taking any meds for it, because I'm afraid of the side effects......My body is very sensitive to those type of meds.....I want to go back to school, but can't until I get on one of the meds...My attention span is almost non-existant, and my memory is even worse.....HELP!!!

Nucking_Futs
09-13-05, 12:55 PM
Deb,

All hope is not lost just because you are sensitive to psychotropic meds. There are many to choose from. You even have the choice between stimulants and non-stimulants. I'm not sure what meds you have tried.

But, before my *late* in life diagnoses I had actually been diagnosed with depression and the meds I was given only seemed to make my symptoms worse. With a proper diagnoses and the proper med you may find yourself in a strange, new world.

You have many different types of meds to choose from; stimulants, non-stimulants, mixtures, etc. If one med does not work for you do not give up. I've been on Strattera for a month now and while I like some of the effects there are others that are extremely alarming such as my slowed reaction time in a crisis. My doctor feels that a med holiday then a transfer to a stimulant may help me see more progress without the slowed reaction time. The key is keep researching and keep trying.

There are also natural ways to treat ADD thru Yoga, Natural meds, diet, behavioural modification programs, talk therapy, coaching, etc, etc the list goes on.

Once again welcome to the forums
Cherity

muffin47
09-13-05, 01:57 PM
Hi Cherity,

I haven't been on any meds yet. I'm afraid to, because alot of them will cause severe anxiety and could keep me awake for 24 hours or more. I've had to go to the emergency room, after taking similiar meds, so they could give me meds to calm me down......Deb

meadd823
09-13-05, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forums Muffin47

muffin47
09-13-05, 07:13 PM
Hi Tammy,

Did you get my private message? I don't know if I did it right!!

Deb

Nucking_Futs
09-14-05, 07:34 AM
Hi Cherity,

I haven't been on any meds yet. I'm afraid to, because alot of them will cause severe anxiety and could keep me awake for 24 hours or more. I've had to go to the emergency room, after taking similiar meds, so they could give me meds to calm me down......Deb

Talk to your doctor about certain meds causing anxiety if you haven't already. There are many members who suffer not only from ADD but anxiety as well myself included. I almost wonder if that is why I don't like the Strattera (non-stimulant), I'm not worried and panicking over anything so I must still be forgetting something to worry about. lol

I have a feeling I am going to be a hard one to please. :rolleyes: But, its scarry to spend 33 years constantly hearing your thoughts to sudden quiet. Its like a bad scarry movie I keep waiting for the slasher music to kick in. lol

Anyways, school. What I have done to ensure my success is chose a smaller institution to start with. I go to Hastings college and will have all my gen eds done before transfering to UNK for the nursing part of the course. The teachers have less students and more time for individual assistance if its needed plus they've just been incredible all around.

I'm only taking two courses a semester, it'll take me awhile to acheive my goal but I'm going back this time to actually achieve my goal, not flunk out.

Don't forget if money is a major problem to look into financial aid, I can get you the numbers and email address's. I was amazed to find that even at our income I didn't have to pay more then fifty out of my own pocket and thats including books, I figured going half time that I wouldn't qualify for aid but they just figure it as another variable for the amount of aid you'll receive.

Let me know if you'd like me to pm the info to you.
Cherity

muffin47
09-15-05, 09:49 AM
:( hello

muffin47
09-15-05, 10:13 AM
Hi Cherity, (love your name)

I did talk to my doctor about meds a few months ago. I decided I wasn't ready for them at that time. It seems like I'm getting worse, and I'm sure part of that is because my mom has incurable liver cancer. Now I'm starting to think I should be taking something, especially after reading some of the posts. If I go back to school I will need a med that can help me concentrate. Do you feel that the Strattera helps you? As you know, I don't tolerate stimulants very well. I think I need to see my doctor so I can start experimenting with some of the meds, so I find one that works for me.

As far as school goes, I want to start at Southeast Community College rather than UNL. It's smaller and I can have more one on one help.

I don't really need the financial aid, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. You can send me the info.

Thanks for all of your help.
Deb

Nucking_Futs
09-15-05, 10:58 AM
When my father was dying of lung cancer I was barely able to function. My thoughts constantly drifting to our relationship and if I remembered to tell him everything that needed to be said concerning our broken past. My thoughts go out to you and your mother as a long term health care provider I feel obligated to ask if you have contacted Hospice and spoken with them on how they can assist your mother? Even in a long term care facility patients needs are sadly over looked, while we can care for them physically the patient staff ratio leaves little time for mental and spiritual support that is where hospice comes in. If you haven't already spoken with them I can try and find the right contact number for you. I do hope that you know you can speak with me or scream at me anytime here in the forum or via pm. I became increasingly anxious and confused as my father's time drew near, to suddenly be thrown into the role of caregiver of my own parent-it all just seemed beyond my mental capabilities.

I feel that Strattera does help a lot. I've maintained a steady 3.8 GPA with A's in both classes since school has started. I retain what I read and write a lot easier on meds then off. When your ready just discuss with your doctor the fact that you don't feel comfortable taking a stimulant due to the awful side effects you have experianced before. A good doctor listens and address's your concerns.

I didn't realize there was more then one Community College but I believe they all run on the same offices. All the information you should need is available at www.cccneb.edu including financial aid options.

You don't have to thank me for doing what I enjoy.
Keeping you in my thoughts today,
Cherity

muffin47
09-15-05, 12:05 PM
Hi Cherity,

Sorry about your dad. Thanks for your concern. My mom was diagnosed in July, and has been taking chemo treatments once a week. She's only 67, and she's responding well to the chemo. It has shrunk the main tumor and that's made her feel better. We are hoping it will go into remission. The chances that that will happen is pretty low. The weird thing about this is, my fiances dad died of cancer last November and his mom was diagnosed with kidney cancer a few months after his dad died. Her doctor was able to remove the kidney and all the cancer. She is 73, and is doing quite well. We can't believe that this has happened to our parents. What are the odds of all three of them being diagnosed with cancer in a 10 month period??

I'm going to ask my doctor if he has samples of Strattera. He always gives me samples of meds if he has them. I have a great doctor, and he knows how certain meds effect me. He'll work with me on any problem or symptom/s I may be having. I feel very fortunate to have found him.

Take Care,
Deb

beccablue
11-24-05, 03:23 AM
What stimulants are you sensitive to?
I have panic attacks, general anxiety, social anxiety, and i used to have terrible insomnia so i was a little freaked out when i recently got diagnosed w/ADD. besides the fact that it just adds to my little corner on the DSM-IV, i was scared of stimulants and thought that people with ADD were the ones who would self-medicate with caffeine, speed etc. these things always gave me panic attacks. my brother, a med student, also told me that it would probably exacerbate my anxiety so i was really reluctant. i explained this to my psychiatrist. she wasn't worried. my anxiety has been medicated for years and ADDers, & she said that meds for ADD will typically calm a person w/ADD & allow her to focus rather than getting "speedy" or panicky. i took the plunge and was really surprised. i am usually hypersensitive to psych meds. i tried over 20 to control my anxiety w/o nasty side effects. but i haven't had any problems w/Ritalin, Adderall, or Wellbutrin.

anyway i just thought i'd share.

beccablue
11-24-05, 03:54 AM
hi. i am really relieved to find this forum. i was recently diagnosed with ADD & haven't had much success trying to talk to friends or family about it.

i guess i was kind of freaked out at first. it was another psychiatric problem layered on top of 10 years of meds adjustment. most of that time was spent just getting to point where i could go to sleep, wake up, & go to work. & i was doing well finally. i decided to go to law school because i love reading the cases. i like analyogizing & deriving principles from facts (or as i call them - "real stories"). so i couldn't understand why i couldn't concentrate or get anything done & i was just getting buried under the work. i went to school psychologist for study strategies. after talking to me in a couple sessions, she recommended that i take a couple of 3 hour tests to rule out ADD. 3 hour tests! the last thing that i wanted to do. so i blew that off & tried to muddle through. it didn't work very well. i didn't flunk out but i lost my scholarship. so i went to a different psychologist hoping to get different (and hopefully easier) advice. nope. so i took the stupid test. & he said i really obviously have add. now that i have learned more about it, i guess it is pretty obvious.

i looked for support groups in nebraska so i'd have someone to relate to but i couldn't find any. i was almost going to go back to NA. but i found this forum & feel less alienated and freakish.
still really wish i could read or take notes or listen consistently. but at least i know it is not that i am just lazy [my secret fear after years of being told to "try harder"]

anissa
11-25-05, 02:15 AM
Just wanted to say i am still alive. Been busy. Had a hysterectomy a month a go... but doing good. And keeping busy with kids and other things. As soon as the holiday traffic slows down i will write more

Thank you for all your support here.

Anissa

Braack
12-02-05, 04:07 AM
Hi all! I'm kinda new to the forums...and from Eastern Nebraska.

anilyze
12-02-05, 07:49 PM
I've been registered for a bit, but recently stopped lurking. I'm 24 and recently moved to Lincoln to attend UNL. I'm currently being diagnosed.

Hello and welcome to the forums. Don't feel bad over half our members start out as lurker's. ;)

I'm currently attending the RN program in Hastings. Where did you move from? What is your major? I'm horribly nosy hopefully you'll find it in your heart to forgive me. :D

Well, I have a ton of things to do so keep in touch and I'll try and keep and eye out for you.

Cherity

Nucking_Futs
12-03-05, 11:15 PM
Hi Becca,

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you; but, I've recently decided to finish nursing school and am afraid that Anatomy and Physiology is a little rough on me lately. Though cross your fingers I should still pass with an A. Being dx'd ADHD frightened and overwhelmed me at first too. But, I've just come to realize I have a lot more umph then most my classmates while they easily get A's and B's I have to fight and fight hard.

I took a course on how to take notes and how to survive college. If UNL offers such a co**** I would seriously consider it and see if they have any accomodations for ADD students I'm willing to bet they do.

Your far from a freak, trust me. I see my dx as the key to the hundred million dollar question. Why? can't I do this? I now know the answer and can find ways to make ADHD work for me instead of against me and so can you.

Wishing you the best
Cherity

ps. Some of us would really like to start a real life support group we are just having a little trouble trying to figure out how to go about it. Any suggestions?

anilyze
12-06-05, 10:17 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums. Don't feel bad over half our members start out as lurker's. ;)

I'm currently attending the RN program in Hastings. Where did you move from? What is your major? I'm horribly nosy hopefully you'll find it in your heart to forgive me. :D

Well, I have a ton of things to do so keep in touch and I'll try and keep and eye out for you.

CherityI moved from Los Angeles and am in a doctoral program in psychology. I never had to do as much work for any of the other classes I've ever taken, so my problems weren't as salient to me. I just thought I was disorganized and forgetful. Now I see there's more than that.

Nucking_Futs
12-06-05, 07:07 PM
I moved from Los Angeles and am in a doctoral program in psychology. I never had to do as much work for any of the other classes I've ever taken, so my problems weren't as salient to me. I just thought I was disorganized and forgetful. Now I see there's more than that.

:eek: OMG we moved to Nebraska from Los Angeles area as well. How are you handling the culture shock? I was young and adjusted pretty well after I found out I would still have electricity and wouldn't have to go outside to use the toilet. lol 9 year olds :rolleyes:

I learned the most about myself and my ADHD thru my son. Its sad to say but I honestly learned how to clean house by watching my then 4 year old son clean his room.

Live and learn. Once you get the hang of meds and some new learning skills you won't feel so intimidated by your dx I promise.

big hugs,
Cherity

ps My brother is currently enrolled at UNL as well. We are planning to visit him and his wife in the new year perhaps you and I could meet for lunch or something.

anilyze
12-07-05, 12:58 PM
:eek: OMG we moved to Nebraska from Los Angeles area as well. How are you handling the culture shock? I was young and adjusted pretty well after I found out I would still have electricity and wouldn't have to go outside to use the toilet. lol 9 year olds :rolleyes:

I learned the most about myself and my ADHD thru my son. Its sad to say but I honestly learned how to clean house by watching my then 4 year old son clean his room.

Live and learn. Once you get the hang of meds and some new learning skills you won't feel so intimidated by your dx I promise.

big hugs,
Cherity

ps My brother is currently enrolled at UNL as well. We are planning to visit him and his wife in the new year perhaps you and I could meet for lunch or something.Haha! I didn't think there wouldn't be plumbing and electricity, but I did think it'd be smaller townish than it is. I visited in late April before moving in August and I was very relieved.

I haven't seen much of a culture difference becuase I've only really interacted with the other grad students who are from all over. I have noticed how almost everyone it seems is blond! Oooh, and I had this guy tell me at Jiffy Lube that that the city's not safe anymore to raise a family in because of the increasing Pakistani population. I was literally speechless. I was born in Iran myself (though I'm Armenian, not that anyone knows what that is), but I'm the right color and have no accent I guess, so he felt like he could say this.
This was really my only culture shock sort of experience. Also, all the religious commercial on the tv. I just seem to keep adding to the list. :D I think that really is it though.

I don't think I'm intimidated by the idea of getting dxed. I feel more relief than anything because the problem's being identified and I can start dealing with it. They're really dragging out the process though. It's been 4 weeks so far since I called in to make an appt. and still no formal dx (though the psychiatrist said she's confident it's ADD and the psychologist said highly probably) because they have this procedure. Meanwhile, 4 weeks that I could have been adjusting and catching up have gone by and I'm just falling more and more behind. I'm feeling quite impatient. :(

I'll be in LA over the winter break, but if I'm in town, I'm up for lunch. :)

Nucking_Futs
12-07-05, 02:24 PM
Haha! I didn't think there wouldn't be plumbing and electricity, but I did think it'd be smaller townish than it is. I visited in late April before moving in August and I was very relieved. You have to remember that Lincoln is the state capital and the site of a major university your not living a "normal" Nebraska life-- your living in a metropolitan by Nebraska standards. My own town is actually considered a villiage with a population of about 186 residents of those about 40 are family members of mine. lol

I haven't seen much of a culture difference becuase I've only really interacted with the other grad students who are from all over. I have noticed how almost everyone it seems is blond! Oooh, and I had this guy tell me at Jiffy Lube that that the city's not safe anymore to raise a family in because of the increasing Pakistani population. I was literally speechless. I was born in Iran myself (though I'm Armenian, not that anyone knows what that is), but I'm the right color and have no accent I guess, so he felt like he could say this.
This was really my only culture shock sort of experience. Also, all the religious commercial on the tv. I just seem to keep adding to the list. :D I think that really is it though. I have heard via news reports that gang violence in certain ethnical backgrounds is becoming more prodominant in Nebraska especially big cities as in Lincoln. But, to make such a statement just proves how ignorant people can be. Had I been in your shoes I would not have handled the situation with as much grace as you did.

I don't think I'm intimidated by the idea of getting dxed. I feel more relief than anything because the problem's being identified and I can start dealing with it. They're really dragging out the process though. It's been 4 weeks so far since I called in to make an appt. and still no formal dx (though the psychiatrist said she's confident it's ADD and the psychologist said highly probably) because they have this procedure. Meanwhile, 4 weeks that I could have been adjusting and catching up have gone by and I'm just falling more and more behind. I'm feeling quite impatient. :(

I'll be in LA over the winter break, but if I'm in town, I'm up for lunch. :)

Sounds good to me,
Cherity

anissa
12-08-05, 03:48 PM
I live right outside of Lincoln by about 20 minutes. A town of 5, 000. 13% of the town is Hispanic or other cultures. My husbands family lives in Lincoln and surrounding areas. Lincoln is no different than any Major City with or with out a University. But yes, because UNL is here, there are a lot of different cultures. But dont be afraid of the town and it still is a great place to raise kids. Dont let some fool tell you different.
Anyway, there are great Drs here and i hope you get what you need here.

anilyze
12-08-05, 09:32 PM
I live right outside of Lincoln by about 20 minutes. A town of 5, 000. 13% of the town is Hispanic or other cultures. My husbands family lives in Lincoln and surrounding areas. Lincoln is no different than any Major City with or with out a University. But yes, because UNL is here, there are a lot of different cultures. But dont be afraid of the town and it still is a great place to raise kids. Dont let some fool tell you different.
Anyway, there are great Drs here and i hope you get what you need here.Oh, I wasn't shocked because I believed him. I was just shocked that he would say something like that. I'm from a big diverse city and I've never heard anyone say something like that. I can't imagine that anyone would go around saying stuff like that to people they don't know especially.

sherigraph
12-27-05, 12:36 AM
Nucking_futs. I see you say your dh works at Baldwin Factory in Kearney NE. How long has he worked there? My grandma retired from Baldwin Factory. She passed away appr. 9 yrs ago. They lived in Shelton. I grew up going there every summer. We would go to Kearney to their doctor appts. We went to Grand Island, to the Stuer Museum. I Know I spelled that wrong. Anyway, just thought I would let you know that. I also have friends in Kearney. My mom lives in Omaha, and we are there quite a bit. Oh, and my sister and I were born in Kearney.

andiemedic
03-08-06, 04:04 PM
Hey guys I've been gone (from the Forums) for awhile but am back...I would love to get involved in that support group that we were talking about in Aug/ Sept of last year, and a significant other's support group as well...Just let me know

LVMAN
03-11-06, 01:57 AM
LVMAN,
Living in Las Vegas, originally from Lincoln,Ne, I have lived in Kansas City, Chicago and did a 3 month stop over in Beatrice (we managed the Beatrice Inn) before me and my wife moved to Henderson,NV where father n law lives. I went to and graduated from UNL and Lincoln Northeast. I have bgeen diagonsed with ADHD and now I am on Ritalin 20mg 1 or two per day and 80 mg of prozac,and .05 alprozepam (3times a day). I was on Ritalin a few years ago but stopped taking it after lost job and insurance and let a Chiropractor talk me out of it. Now ihave been back on ritalin for 2 months ago. It really helps me stay focused. I also go to counseling but now my company changed Insurance companies soI don't no what will happen with mental health services. i need to contact new health provider to c. I sure don't like it htough now I will probably have to change therapists and pyschiatrists.

My mom now lives in Franklin where she grew up 1h our south of Kearney,she has been visiting us in Vegas for the last month. good to find other Nebraskans here. i have really had a hard time keeping jobs throughout my life and finding something that fits.

LVMAN

andiemedic
03-11-06, 03:00 AM
Hey LVMAN welcome! Great to see you here!

sherigraph
03-14-06, 12:34 PM
Ok, well I live in South Dakota but came to this section because I am originally from Nebraska/Iowa. My mom lives in Omaha, so we are there quite often. I went to jr and high school in Glenwood Iowa. I also lived in Omaha, was married there and my first child was born there. My grandparents lived in Shelton NE where they raised their five kids. My grandma worked at Baldwin Factory in Kearney NE until she retired to take care of my granddad. I have family that live in Lincoln. Hope to chat more. I use to go to Shelton ever summer for at least 2 - 3 weeks. I also have a friend, been a long time since talking to her, but she lived in Holdredge NE.

andtatt71
10-27-06, 09:40 PM
Hi all. My name is Andrea wife of an ADD & OCD hubby and mother of a yet to diagnosed 4 yr old (hubby thinks it ADHD & OCD) and a 8 month old who is just content being. I had never been around anyone with either ADD or OCD before meeting my husband, so I still have issues relating (almost daily). Maybe you can help shed some light and suggest how to cope???

Neon
01-22-07, 01:57 PM
Hey...Neon here. Born and raised in Omaha. 36. been taking concerta for about 3 weeks and like it so far.

Uneek1
02-16-08, 10:26 PM
Hello! Mrs Stites here. Raised in Kansas (no, I don't know Dorothy and Toto! LOL) and I've been in Omaha for the past 9 years. Always knew I was weird and very depressed. When I moved to Omaha, I mostly got over the depression (I love my mom more when we're not in the same town. She was a lot of reason of my depression) and just recently figured out I had ADD. I accept the ADD (I'm an optomist) a lot better than my non ADD husband (pessimist). He thinks it's just a name for my lazyness and excuses. Anyway! That's my story!

kateribethrose
04-09-10, 02:45 PM
hi, I have lived in Nebraska for 13 years. I was born in Central New York I moved out here when I was twelve, to a small town in the middle of nowhere, and moved up here to Lincoln after High School.

I think that's all I wanted to say besides this all being new to me.