View Full Version : Adult ADHD article on BBC news website

thebluenile
01-07-07, 02:19 AM
Adult ADHD 'not treated properly'

A leading psychiatrist says many adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are not getting the treatment they need. Professor Philip Asherson, from London's Maudsley Hospital, wants sufferers to be recognised and treated.

ADHD is well-known in childhood, but estimates suggest up to 65% of sufferers are affected years later.

Adults with ADHD can experience depression, anxiety and impulsiveness, the British Journal of Psychiatry says.

Publicity around ADHD also means larger numbers of adults are recognising the key signs of the condition in themselves, and seeking help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6225615.stm

A pretty positive article about treatment of Adult ADHD. Hopefully things are moving in the right direction for those seeking NHS treatment.

The new NICE guideline is due out in march 2008. Hopefully that will signal treatment for ADDults being more widely available on the NHS.

http://www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=207034

xstarchildx
01-07-07, 08:36 PM
Hey paul great post read your link and i'm going to give it to my psych, the more information we can get across to the professional's the better!

mrshaupt
01-07-07, 09:33 PM
We are printing it out and my husband will bring it to the Dr.! THANK YOU!

The most infuriating part is that my husband has a long history, diagnosis and list of drugs taken in the last couple of years prepared by a great psychiatrist in the US when we lived there, and the psychiatrist here simply mocked all this!

We are getting the psychiatrist to fax the whole history to the GP and then bring a few articles along. It does not help playing "Mr nice-guy" - one REALLY needs to fight for their rights. They are basically depriving potentially millions of people of drugs they depend on in order to live a normal life!

If the GP will not arrange for a transfer to a psychiatrist who will listen or provide a prescription herself (like I read here that so many people are able to get), my husband will continue trying to find someone else who will. It is absolutely outrageous he has to fight for this!!

I pray that 2008 will bring good news. We just can't wait that long though :(

xstarchildx
01-07-07, 09:38 PM
We are printing it out and my husband will bring it to the Dr.! THANK YOU!

The most infuriating part is that my husband has a long history, diagnosis and list of grugs taken in the last couple of years prepared by a great psychiatrist in the US when we lived there, and the psychiatrist here simply mocked al this!

We are getting the psychiatrist to fax the whole history to the GP and then bring a few articles along. It does not help playing "Mr nice-guy" - one REALLY needs to find for their rights. They are basically depriving potentially millions of people of drugs they depend on in order to live a normal life!

If the GP will not arrange for a transfer to a psychiatrist who will listen or provide a prescription herself (like I read here that so many people are able to get), my husband will continue trying to find someone else who will. It is absolutely outrageous he has to fight for this!!

I pray that 2008 will bring good news. We just can't wait that long though :(

I totally agree with what you say! i wish you good luck and hope you get what many u.k adders deserve, like the saying go's "All good things come to those who wait" :)