View Full Version : Roll Call - Virginia Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 06:52 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Virginia. Please give a brief intro.

Name

Blackie
12-27-03, 12:26 AM
Roll Call Reply

Skip Roberts

Northern Virginia

I have been active with CHADD and help children with learning difficulties related to AD/HD.

jdsteelii
04-08-04, 03:15 PM
My name is John, new to the forum and ADD. I live in Fairfax, VA and would enjoy meeting others with ADD...

sneekkers
07-08-04, 03:00 PM
i live in northen va....

i am married w/2 kids.....

i work pt....

i have taken college courses for +25 years...

have just gotten drs to sign for disability....

need lots of support....

:cool: sneekkers:cool:

Blackie
07-09-04, 02:45 AM
Sneekkers,
email me at blackbullhead@yahoo.com
Maybe I can help you.
Blackie

EYEFORGOT
08-15-04, 04:05 PM
Michele

Chesterfield County (just south of Richmond)

though not officially tested yet, I am 99% sure myself and my 5 year old son have ADD
(home schooling mom)

Blackie
08-16-04, 11:36 AM
As far as I know, Chel, there is no test for ADD. I would guess that the disorder produces no measurable imblance in our brains. There has been some promising research done that shows different locations and levels of activity in the brains of people who have been diagnosised with ADD and those who have no behavioral symptoms.
Diagnosis is based on behavior and history and response to treatment. This is one reason that many professionals have difficulty accepting the existance of the condition.

QuiltingMarie
08-20-04, 10:16 PM
Marie
Lynchburg, VA
AD/HD, OCD, Depression (happily on meds!)

exeter
09-06-04, 12:55 PM
Hi, my name is Paul, and I'm an alco^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H have ADD. :P I live in the Fredericksburg area and just got diagnosed this year. Taking meds and working with a therapist now... I've noticed improvement already in just a few months. Hopefully I can have my life together in less than a year.

Daddio
09-30-04, 06:58 PM
Blackie,

There are tests for ADD, and ADD does show measurable differences in the brain. One guy who has done alot of brain scan research on it is Dr. Daniel Amen (www.amenclinic.com)

Arcana
10-18-04, 10:34 AM
Hi all!

I'm in the Hampton Roads area. I work in the medical field, technically I'm a medical transcriptionist, but can learn anything. Word of advice... do not get into transcription if you have ADD... they do not mix. I was having an extremely hard time coping with my job and symptoms at the same time and ended up changing jobs recently. I now work for a wonderful physician in the area and I am not expected to sit for 8-hours straight. It also helps that most of the people in this office suffer from OCD.

A great support group always helps when on the job!

- Arcana

keegans_mommy
01-02-05, 11:14 AM
Hi, I am Brenda. I think our whole family has been zapped with ADD/ADHD. LOL

I have ADD, depression, anxiety/panic attacks (100mg Zoloft)
My DH has ADHD and drives me bananas and could use some meds LOL!
My ODD has ADHD bad and is on 50mg of Strattera!!!!!
MY 2nd DD is showing symtoms of ADHD and needs something
and I have 2 sons, 2 1/2 years and 9 months.

We live in Marshall (20 min. west of Manassas and about 1 hour west of D.C.)

free2bme
01-02-05, 05:16 PM
Hi there,

I'm in Va. Beach. New to this board and looking forward to getting support and lots of information. Diagnosed a few months ago and am still playing the "how much adderall is the right amount" game. It's very uncomfortable at times. Fortunately I have a great Doc and Therapist. It's a challenge though, trying to get it right and juggle 4 children, but at least I'm on the right path now.

geezlouise
01-30-05, 09:47 PM
hello,

I live in Alexandria, VA area. I was diagnosed a year ago. Am a film student. Would love to form a support group or become a member of any that already exist.

Blackie
01-31-05, 02:02 AM
Dr. Daniel Amen of the Amen Clinic in California has done some interesting work some of which includes ADD and the physiology of the brain.

His work while promising, is inconclusive as far as a definative diagnosis of ADD. He also is a for profit organization and quite expensive. His publications have had questionable reception among his peers.

Who knows...wouldn't it be nice...what are your sources? Mine are about 18 months old, so he may have made a significant breakthrough recently.

Thanks for your input.

FixCat
06-23-05, 09:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Angela and I am the mother of Jimmy who turned four years old in June - diagnosed with ADHD. Lots of issues with impulse control. Thinks his three year old brother is his punching bag. Can't find a pre-school. Working on behavior mod. Jimmy has a high iq and is very sweet and has empathy.

We have six cats and a dog. I feel like my brian is falling out of my head. Went to a local CHADD meeting - very helpful. Going for second Child Find evaluation in August.

I fluctuate from discouraged to encouraged. I just wish I could help my son more!

Glad to be here,
Angela

mmcclure79
09-16-05, 09:46 AM
Hello all
name's Michael
I'm in Richmond...ok,ok, Henrico (west end) it's not Richmond but dangit I'm less than 5 miles from the city/county border close enough. :D

Anyway my relationship with ADD is a hard one definitely a love/hate relationship since I can't get rid of it. :p I was diagnosed this year but thinking back I (of course) have always had it just got treated now and my 27 birthday is coming up. I'm glad I found this forum as everyone's experiences and words of advice and encouragement help me to find ways to cope and make living with me easier on the misses and kids.

I have ADD inattentive, no hyperactivity here, in fact I think I'm border line narcoleptic. Life is wonderful, but sometimes I'm just so bored I fall alseep or call in the auto pilot and do what I call sleep live. No one knows you're sleeping but you after you wake up. I do not suggest sleep living while driving or at work. Very bad combination there.

I was on strattera but the side effects were not good to live with and so I'm just waiting for payday to get my Ritalin. Hopefully it won't raise my blood pressure too much wouldn't want a heart attack or cronic fits with my NMS. NMS for those who don't know is Neurally Mediated Syncopy. It was explained like this to me: my cardiovascular system doesn't regualte itself very well so any change in it could cause me to black out uncontrollaby. Once I start falling down that dark hole no out but with an iv of fluids. luckily it's only happened once but I was driving. I have a very mild form of it so I just have to keep my salt intake high. Plus my doc wants me to get weekly blood pressure checks for a bit while we test out the dosage level with Ritalin.

Johna
09-16-05, 08:04 PM
MMCCLURE
YES you're in the county that made Richmond look like a fool with the sale of the I-Books!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll forgive you for now and welcome you to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!

wnorman
10-02-05, 01:05 PM
Heh. I almost went to that sale and was soooooo glad I decided not to. Yikes.

I live in Virginia Beach and have been around this forum for a while but mostly just lurk and read... rarely post. I've got more free time now so I'm hoping to be more active.

I posted a lengthier introduction over in that section (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=224673#post224673).

mmcclure79
10-12-05, 10:38 AM
for some reasons I didn't see your post there Johna. You are right, we made Richmond look like a bunch of fools. I thought about going to it for about half a second. Then I realized a) these things were used for a few years by teenagers who can't take caer of their own stuff, b) all the hacks and cracks done to them by the students as told to me by my sister, she even did a few, and c) their iBooks for crying out loud!

Salooski
01-24-06, 11:32 AM
Hi, I'm Salooski, live and work in Fairfax, single dad, 3 kids -- my oldest daughter has ADHD, and it was through her diagnosis and learning about ADHD that I realized I have it too. I was diagnosed about a year and half ago. Meds have made huge differences for me and my daughter (Concerta for her, Addrerall for me). Would be happy to join a support group locally.

gooferamus525
03-25-06, 03:53 PM
Hi- I'm Gooferamus525! I live in christiansburg (Southwest virginia). My husband was recently diagnosed with ADD (no H, apparently). I'm looking for general ADD info and support groups for spouses/partners. Nice to meet y'all!

bbduck1
05-05-06, 12:17 PM
Hi, I'm Amy and was just diagnosed yesterday (started Strattera today). My son is 14 and is undergoing the "rule out everything else tests (bloodwork, EEG), but his doctor is relatively certain that he'll prescribe meds for him. My mom, dad, and brother are all ADHD to varying degrees (some medicated, some not, some hyperactive, some just inattentive, etc). I'm in Fredericksburg, VA.

PlainlyOrdinary
05-08-06, 03:30 PM
Name: josh
Relationship to AD/HD: i am ad/hd combined type w/depression, though it has been suggested that aspergers may be responsible for the symptoms. i'm in the process of searching for a clinical psychologist to further evaluate this possibility. i am currently taking 225mgs/day of effexor xr and 20mgs/day adderall.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

bbduck1
05-08-06, 07:51 PM
Hi...I'm Amy in Fredericksburg. I will be 40 in a week and was just diagnosed last week. My 14 year old son is being tested (ruling out thyroid, seizures, etc with bloodwork and an EEG before starting meds). I grew up with an ADHD brother, and my mom was just diagnosed within the last year. Dad should be but won't see a doc! I started Strattera last Thursday. Please check out/comment on my posts on the Strattera board.

Foot-in-mouth
05-25-06, 03:01 PM
I am Ian, I too am about to turn 40 (wow) I feel about 22. I have ADHD and take nothing for it other than Zoloft because I am a chicken and I procrastinate! Got a referal? I live in Richmond. I have 2 girls and so far they seems pretty "normal". Hmmm I thinkI am a nice guy with a quick tung :D

betiotk
05-31-06, 09:39 PM
Angelica
Reston, VA (Northern VA/Ffx. Co/DcMetro.Area)
AD/not sure if H but pain in the a**-D /depression
Adderallxl 40-60mg
*sigh*

Gonestarfishing
04-02-07, 12:26 PM
Hi all, I'm Elizabeth from Arlington...I'm a 20 year old college student (go Mason!) and as of now I'm not diagnosed for ADD/ADHD but I'm pretty sure that I have it. I've actually been pretty sure since highschool but have procrastinated about doing anything about it. My mom had a history with learning disorders during school and I'm pretty positive my dad is major ADD (we're both on our own wavelength away from everybody else :p ).

My dad or I will talk about something in a conversation with my mom, then we'll change the subject 5 times and then start talking about the original subject again without an introduction and confuse the crap out of my mom hahaha...

I've shown ADD tendencies ever since I was little (not working up to potential comments on report card, procrastinating, mediocre grades, hyperfocus, starting numerous projects without finishing) which got even worse when I got to middle school and got my first failing grade. My parents blamed it on me being lazy but they themselves were probably also coping with the disorder and didn't provide a whole lot of structure. My parents sent me to Catholic school which helped a little bit and once I got to highschool I started to develop coping mechanisms that helped, but I only did enough to scrape by with less than stellar grades.

I always felt so much smarter than my grades reflected but somehow there was a disconnect...I've always been very quiet and shy so nobody ever suspected something like ADD or a learning disorder, though I do have some hyperactive tendencies such as constantly moving (jiggling leg, shifting in seat, fiddling with papers or pencil, and I can't STAND to sit in restaurants). But I also feel lethargic as I'm moving in my seat so I have no idea what that's about.

Anyways I'm working on getting a diagnosis one way or another because I'd like to have a plan of action to start bettering myself. I've been dealing with it for so long that I've developed many coping mechanisms such as making copious lists when I start to stress out. The problem lies in my procrastination. I'm a junior in college and am starting to take the harder 400 level courses that are really stretching me beyond my limits. I've actually gotten on the deans list a couple of times and done really well in school but the stress is becoming too much to bear. I spend most of my time lazing around the house and then a couple of days before a project is due I work night and day trying (and usually failing) to keep myself focused. It's gotten to the point where I'm pulling at least 2 all nighters per week to stay on task. I get good grades but I'm killing myself trying to do it!

I'm getting burned out and my coping mechanisms don't seem like they're enough to keep me going, so I've decided to get some help! Sorry if this post was long winded and confusing at times...I tend to write in a stream of consciousness fashion and I don't have the patience for editing :D

vtenginerd
04-05-08, 08:57 PM
I'm Nick. I'm originally from Florida, but I'm going to grad school at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. I recently went to a school psychologist to talk about anxiety and depression and from what I told him he thinks my symptoms may be more indicative of ADD. He recommended that I get tested, so I'm going later this week for testing.

At any rate, just wanted to say "hi" in the regional forums.

-Nick

KGif
08-13-08, 12:06 PM
Name: Kelly
Relationship to AD/HD: Have not been diagnosed but it's something I've suspected of myself for quite a while now. I'm finally at a point where I am serious about seeking help.

Can anyone recommend a doctor in the NoVa area experienced with diagnosing/treating Adult ADD/ADHD? THANKS!!!

CrystalShiloh
09-05-08, 07:03 PM
Name: Crystal
Location: Fairfax, VA (w/in walking distance of the Vienna Metro)
Relationship to AD/HD: My husband and I have AD/HD

I'm happy to have found this site. I was feeling all alone in my own world and I craved outside acceptance. At long last, I summoned up the courage to reach out to others with AD/HD. It turned out that there was no reason for me to fear further rejection. I finally fit in and everyone one here is so supportive!

Generally, my goal in posting this message is to meet people and potentially make more friends. I moved here nine years ago, and in that time, I have only made one meaningful friendship. Specifically, I want to work on my social skills.

If there is anything else you want to know, please don't be afraid to ask.

BJC81
12-01-08, 04:30 PM
Name: Brian
Relationship to AD/HD: I have AD/HD

knockslop
03-08-09, 01:10 AM
Hi folks,

I'm Chuck. 49 years old, living just outside Manassas with my wife and 2 kids.

I was recently diagnosed w/ ADD. I work in computer networking, and learning new things has been difficult lately. I'm on Adderall XR now and that is helping me stay focused and recognize when I'm getting distracted. Going to counseling too (making lists like mad :)).

Nice to know there are others nearby. Know of any in-person support groups around or have any strategies to help cope with, and manage this?

hopehope
12-17-10, 11:07 PM
Hey there I live in the Hampton roads area been add most my life ,been taking adderall for 2 months now got to the point where i couldn't remember one second to the next,add gets worse as you get older.

hopehope
12-17-10, 11:27 PM
Hey don't be chicken this how it goes dopamine is a chemical the brain makes and people with add don't have very much of that chemical this chemical makes you feel happy safe focus and overall you feel better.It also helps with depression panic disorder.The med called adderall in goes into the brain cell and produces the chemical dopmaine which brain lacks. So if you have any question give a shout and I will try to answer if i have the answer. ps use spell check

Amanda1212
05-29-11, 12:53 AM
Hi, I'm Edie in Tappahannock. I have a 6 1/2 year old daughter with ADHD. She is on Vyvanse right now. We are going to the doc this week. I am hoping to get a booster for the afternoon for when it wares off.

Arivas721
03-31-12, 01:21 PM
Hi Im Aimee,
living in Virginia Beach area,
in the process of being "officially" diagnosed add/adhd
have hubby 3 kids and one on the way so definitely feeling amplified with pregnancy.