View Full Version : Roll Call - Texas Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 06:56 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Texas . Please give a brief intro.

Name

EchoHD
12-26-03, 10:27 PM
Hi, Im EchoHD, 48 y/o woman in Central Texas, in the middle of pretty much no where. Im 60 miles from Austin and Bryan, 70 from Waco and 40 from Temple. I was dx's at age 42. It so explained most of the stuff in my life. I have been in therapy of some sort off and on since age 14, but ADD was never mentioned. I spent all my life feeling like I was stupid, a bad person, lazy, useless, and worthless. Medication has made such a difference in my life. Of course now the issue is finding a medical provider to give me the meds, and not act like I am a drug seeker lookin for a high. I am a multiple marryer, (on #5) 2 kids that live with their father, have had so many jobs I cant think of all of em, none lasting more than 4 yrs...most were 1 yr or less, some MUCH less. I would so love to find others in this area to talk with, or even meet someday.

My favorite quote:
Those seen dancing were thought to be insane by those that
could not hear the music....

" Normal is just a setting on the dryer"

mstreye
12-27-03, 01:13 AM
:D Hello from Splendora, Texas (WHERE??????!!!!!!!!!:p ), this is Michael Isaacks (aka Mstreye), father of Faith (9 year old dd) and husband of Pam (dw). Never knew I was living with ADHD till my dd was diagnosed with it. Currently taking Adderall which helps tremendously.

I teach Sunday School (a Bible College course), sing on my church's praise and worship team, and have just ended a daily devotional entitled "Covenant Talk" which ran for over 5 years. I will debuting "Covenant Talk Magazine" in February 2004.

I praise God for bringing to the ADDult forum. I got just what I wanted. AN ADD message board which not only gave fellow ADDers a place to communicate but also glorified God!

PRAISE GOD! HAVE A BLESSED NEW YEAR 2004!
3 JOHN 2

mom03
12-27-03, 02:20 PM
I'm in Austin, Texas, 28, married.. I've been seeking a proper diagnosis and treatment for years. I was diagnosed in 1999 but they missed the Bipolar II that I've been living with for the past 5 years, but now am treating both with drug therapy. I've been evaluated for learning disabilities about 5 times since I was of school age. I think we've finally got it all figured out.

Stranger
12-28-03, 03:47 PM
I'm living in El Paso, TX. Married, with 2 kids. When my kids were diagnosed with ADD a few years ago, I got to thinking about it, and realized this past year why I've never had a job for more than 2.5 years, moved a lot, never had good relationships with people, was depressed a lot, etc. etc. I'm not on any meds right now, although I'm supposed to be taking wellbutrin for the depression (but I keep forgetting...)

smooch
12-28-03, 04:04 PM
smooch here~

Tara, y'all know me! I'm the Moderator for the ADDults and Teens sections. :D Good to know there's more folks from the great country...oh...I mean state...of Texas! ;)

EchoHD--what's the name of your hometown? I used to live in Cen-Tex--you can PM me the name if you like. Just curious! :)

smoo

Tara
12-29-03, 08:13 PM
Please keep this thread for Roll Call. If you would like to have a discussussion please start a new thread.

Thank You :)

Rob
01-04-04, 08:18 PM
My name is Rob and I live in North Central Texas close to Ft. Worth.

I am 36 and was diagnosed with ADD before summer last year (2003). I chose to seek help after reading various information on ADD / ADHD which seemed to explain a lot of things about me, going as far back as grade school. Actually, my grades didn't suffer until I was in 7th grade. I would daydream a lot and would catch myself reading the same paragraphs over and over again after my mind would wander. I had trouble taking notes and remembering anything that was verbally spouted out to me. My friends and family would tell me how smart I was and that I can express myself the best through writing, yet I had to struggle to finish anything and never felt like I was getting anywhere with my life. I still do not have a college degree because I usually end up dropping the classes I have no interest in or fall behind in. I sometimes feel like a poster child for underachievement. :p

Relationships are another story. I stall myself and don't get out to meet enough people or ask many women to go out on dates. My two best friends want me to put an ad on Match.com but I have hesitated doing so. The only reason for this is that I don't feel like I've achieved a level of success that is acceptable as a quality that most women are looking for. I want to accomplish great things but my life has not worked out that way up to this point. I am confident that I can function well in a relationship if I can just get beyond this obstacle and find someone who will love me and accept me for who I am. I am actually very caring and try to be as attentive as I can for someone with ADD.

More than anything, I would just like to start over again in life, knowing what I know now, and make the most out of a second chance. :)

Thank you for these forums.

pgc
01-12-04, 07:19 PM
Hello to mstreye (in Splendora) from pgc (in Kingwood)!

I'm a parent of ADHD 15 yr male and ADD 14 yr female. We have only recently been exploring this wonderful condition within the last 4-months due to some serious problems my daughter got herself into, I have learned alot.

Now that her and her brother are medicated with adequate meds and doses I can begin to explore me and my husband's history with this. I highly suspect we both have this also.

smooch
01-13-04, 11:25 AM
pgc~

Welcome to the Forums!

Please PM me if you'd like info on the ADDA-SR Kingwood support group meeting. I spoke at the meeting in December....

:) smooch

Mely1031
02-18-04, 05:07 PM
Hi!

My name is Melissa. I live in Dallas, Texas. I am 19 and attend a community college. I was diagnosed when I was 16 and have been taking Adderall most of the time. This might be a strange question. But does anyone know of any support groups you can attend near Dallas-Ft. Worth or any conventions? I might be wrong, there might be no place like that. But if anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Melissa

mom03
02-18-04, 05:43 PM
CHADD will have a group. just go to www.CHADD.org. Actually there was a convention in Arlington last weekend I believe.. or is it this weekend? Sometime within February.

I found it:
The Attention Deficit Disorders Association- Southern (ADDA-SR)
16th annual ADHD conference, ADDapting to Challenges
February 27-28, 2004
Harvey Hotel, Irving, TX

The Attention Deficit Disorders Association- Southern (ADDA-SR) is jointly sponsoring this event with Cook Children's Medical Center in collaboration with the Mental Health Association of Greater Dallas. This event is designed for parents, educators, healthcare professionals and adults with ADD. In the general sessions, keynote speaker Steven Pliszka will address Treatment of ADHD and Comorbid Conditions as well as Neuroimaging and Genetics. In thirty breakout sessions other speakers will address a variety of topics. Limited scholarships can be applied for. CE's available. For further information contact 281-897-0982 or www.adda-sr.org

Energizer_Bunny
03-28-04, 07:55 PM
Well, Houston Texas here.

And I will stick to the basics:

I have Tourettes, ADHD, and OCD, and was diagnosed at 36. I am not married, have no children and work full time and go to college part time.

jaimegerise
03-28-04, 10:35 PM
My turn!!!

Ok, I am in Del Rio, TX, the crossroads to nowhere....but I've only lived here for 4 years...originally from SW Louisiana. I moved here 4 years ago to live with my b/f then, who is now my hubby.:D
I am 28, and was diagnosed when I was 26. I've always been a wierdodoot, and finally after problems with depression and anxiety, etc etc....I was FINALLY dxed ADD. My full diagnosis is ADD with depression, anxiety, OCD and borderline personality disorder tendencies. I take concerta 36 mg and lexapro 10 mg.

I am presently a housewife...no kids...but 2 bad cats and a bad dog. hehe I never finished college (went 3 years, plus spent time in votech school), but I am really hoping to get back by this fall.

Um, gosh I hope that's enough, because my brain is starting to hurt. :p

David
05-21-04, 01:46 AM
Hi all,
David here from Houston... Actually Clear Lake at the moment, though I will probably be moving back to the North Side sometime in the near future (unfortunately). (I love the water)

I am 31 and have ADHD.. I can drive just about anyone crazy! Ask BIG & TARA.. Or anyone else that knows me.. :) I'm typical but also not so typical..

More later... Nice to meet you all!

amyschue
06-22-04, 01:14 PM
Hi all this is Amy from El paso Texas (for now) 30 yr old with ADD diagnosed in the early 80's

meadd823
06-27-04, 01:40 PM
I'm from Texas. Think my town is upper right of this reply.

Tammy

LittlePrincess
06-30-04, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a 22 year old female living in Plano, TX (just north of Dallas). No one, including myself, ever knew that I had a problem with ADD throughout my childhood. I would score genius level on achievement tests, yet never would do homework unless forced. I always made A's in math and science because it came easy to me, and I can truly say that I put no time into my studies in high school. My homework was always just something thrown together at the last minute so I wouldn't get a zero.

My first year of college was a breeze... didn't study at all, I just retained what I would hear in class. It got rougher as the years went on... and during my senior year I completely "lost it" with a panic attack and was out of commission for a few weeks. Then I was diagnosed with depression... put on anti-depressants and didn't get any better. I was starting to lose my memory more than ever... I think it was my mind's way of telling me that something was severely wrong. People would ask me a question and if I looked away, I wouldn't remember.

That was a scary time. I finally saw a psychiatrist (was seeing family doc before) and he put me on adderall in addition to what I was taking. I felt more "normal" than I had in a LOOOOONG time. I could remember what was going on in class, what people were saying, my depression got better...

This summer I am taking a break, still taking adderall along with some other meds and still doing well! IT'S NICE TO MEET YOU ALL!!
:)

GOLDILOCKS
07-02-04, 10:23 PM
Hi...
Of course, I'm Serena :) Central Texas btwn Dallas and Austin, pretty much. Grew up half my life in Odessa. Moved to Houston (a whopping 6 months), then back to central Texas. Now we're moving up near MESQUITE.

Just dx'ed last Tuesday.

Problems at work the last few years led me to this (started researching it on the net) & I had a couple of people I worked with ask me if I had A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. I just ignored them & tried to "fix me, myself".

I'm 34; wife of 6-7 yrs; mom of 2 daughters (10 & 3); and my personality is "Generalist".

Hobbies: Genealogy; church (although, to me church is a LIFESTYLE, not a "hobby" per say); my Cherokee heritage; 1/4 mile racing my 84 Camaro; studying people (personalities, etc).

Favorite color: Orange

Favorite music: Nickleback; 80's rock; tribal music

Career: 13 yrs (w/some off time w/babies; moving, etc) Law Enforcement. Patrol and Narcotics Investigations.

meadd823
07-02-04, 11:46 PM
What is between Dallas and Austin? Waco, Hillsburrow?? Odessa to Houston YIKES what a climate change!! I lived in Houston about four months, too flat, too wet, and way TOOOOO many people!! Lately I think the people of Houston have had to exchange thier cars for row boats as they have gotten more rain than we have in the Austin area!! Dallas area has had some weather them selves!!
I amTammy live in Georgetown(26 miles north of Austin). Self employeed with a partner, three girls, two grown one lives with her dad. She didn't want to move two years from graduation; Don't blame her (only nine more months of child support ) Fixing to be grandmother for the first time ;due near end of August. I'm too young, fourty something is too young to be grandparent but no one asked me before getting pregnant, wasn't invited to the conception party( thank God) :o
Diagnosed for eleven years take Adderall. Have scense of humor will travel!!

Eaglehawk
08-22-04, 05:19 PM
Chris
Cypress Texas (NW Side of Houston)
I was dx'ed with ADD June 2003, I decided I had better get checked out shortly after i found out my wife was expecting our first child.

I struggle with understanding ADD and what all i can do to be able to focus, and what not. I currently take Addreal. Seems to be somewhat bennificial, i've only been on it for about a week or two, we will see what happens :confused:

KevinN99
08-30-04, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone...

I'm 23 years old, and currently residing in Plano, TX (north Dallas). I just recently graduated from Baylor University and am in the process of preparing to apply for law school. I'll be taking the LSATs in October (argh...LSATS + ADD = :( ).

Actually, it hasn't been too long since I've been diagnosed. I was diagnosed about two weeks ago, and so far the medications have effected my life tremondously. I only wish I had known I had ADD sooner. It would've spared me the failures, depressions and doubts. But then again, I thankful to have found out now rather than never.

It's nice meeting you guys, and I look forward to personally talking to yall more!

Kevin

meadd823
09-03-04, 09:01 PM
I only wish I had known I had ADD sooner. It would've spared me the failures, depressions and doubts. But then again, I thankful to have found out now rather than never.

It's nice meeting you guys, and I look forward to personally talking to yall more!

Kevin

I resemble your remark, and can relate personally to wishing you had been diagnosed sooner in your life. Life with ADHD has taught me this important perspective:

With out having to under go and over come the ADDed difficulties, and frequent failures, all the extras ADHD offered I would NOT be the person I am today. I kind of like who I am today. Most kids had to struggle in school but I had to strugle in school, struggle to be still for what felt like enernity, struggle with dyslexia. I believe all the extra effort in my childhood better prepared me for the future trials and challanges I was to face in my present adulthood.

The fact you are planning to attent law school indicates you are NO QUITTER. I once heard that success should not be measured by what was accomplished in life but success would be better measured by what obsticles were over come.

brilliantmoment
10-08-04, 11:02 AM
Hmm I didn't know there were state boards!
So, I'm Lindsey.. I currently live in Dallas, but lived in Austin for the vast majority of my life :) I was Dxd last December, or whenever my join date says^^ lol..

ahinistroza
10-19-04, 09:31 AM
Hello from Thorndale Tx!!!,
My name is Ashley and I'm 33yo.,married and Mother of three.I have just recently been diagnosed w/both Add and Bipolar II D/O.My life has been a constant struggle.......trying desperately to find contentment and a sense of normalcy.I'm determined not to give up on my quest and am so thankful to see that there are others like you that can relate to my obstacles.
Ashley~

Eaglehawk
10-19-04, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the forums Ashely. I think you'll like it here.

ahinistroza
10-19-04, 10:12 AM
Thanks Eaglehawk........I've been on and off the forums for quite sometime,but hopefully I can stay focused enough to stay active this time.Ha!ha!.

EchoHD
10-21-04, 01:28 AM
Hi Ashley. I nearlly fainted when I saw your post that said you were from Thorndale. Im about 12 miles from there!!! Minerva...between Rockdale and Cameron. Hope to chat with you some. So few of un "admitted" ADDers in Milam County. :)

brilliantmoment
10-21-04, 02:41 PM
Good luck with those LSATs! WTG on your good score (in advance..lol).. I'm about to move up to Plano (from Dallas.. not all that far.. lol)

Do you think all the ( ) indicates another personality? lol

f_wcomboadhd
11-11-04, 12:53 PM
Hey ya'll
I'm an import..an army brat that landed in the place where i found the love of my life, my husband, in houston..
only you texans will understand my grief: i just moved back to houston three yrs ago after living 7 yrs in austin. :(
ahh memories!!!
anyway
i too (i can't remember name of the post-er but she's in plano, 21yrs old)
scored wayy high on my tests & i was a total slacker w/ homework.
i still am sort of...struggling w/ community college now!!! (its the homework , not content)
i work in a call center from hell.

mother of a 4yr old boy,
married
and i live
out where eaglehawk does..
cypress texas!!
(basically a the area where you can find katy, houston and cypress zipcodes collide)

GOLDILOCKS
11-11-04, 04:21 PM
Hi there! Good to have ya!

(Although, you'll have to excuse me - I'm not on the forum too much since school started)

brilliantmoment
11-11-04, 06:26 PM
I love Austin.. I grew up there!

aneededchange
11-30-04, 02:57 AM
*waves*

Aneededchange ... you can call me Ane for short.
I live in the Houston area.

I have ADD.

Simple enough? Had to keep it short ... I tend to ramble alot. Over anything really.

GOLDILOCKS
11-30-04, 05:53 PM
Wow..nice to have you Ane....

Howdy from Greenville Texas...Population = 25,000

TXRebelGrrrl
12-09-04, 11:52 PM
I'm in Houston, TX. Actually north of Houston in The Woodlands. 28 years old, going through a divorce, and I'm a personal trainer. I have a 10 year old daughter who thankfully shows no signs of sharing my ADD. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago, tried Strattera with disasterous results, and am now on Adderall XR which is changing my life.

moonlily
12-23-04, 05:03 PM
Richmond, Texas

Zippy
12-25-04, 04:37 AM
Zippy..

New Braunfels, Texas. Currently living in Wichita Falls, Texas however.....bummer..

Slide
01-12-05, 10:28 AM
Howdy,
David from Lubbock. Was diagnosed about 3 years ago after my daughter was diagnosed with the condition and my wife told me I was just like her. Also, she had all the traits that I had growing up. Originally did Concerta but after they changed our insurance I couldn't afford it for both myself and my daughter. Did generic Ritalin for a while, made me feel light headed and kind of foggy. Psych decided to try generic Adderall and have been using it for about a week now. So far much happier with the results. Ritalin helped with short term memory but didn't seem to help the focusing side. Adderall really seems to help the focus side which I prefer but not so much the short term memory. For that I have a PDA which helps tremendously and my list.

toneill
01-31-05, 04:14 PM
I'm almost 47 and was diagnosed ADD about a year and half ago. It explained so much for me in so much of my life. Also being treated (meds and therapy) for depression.

Been on Straterra since I was diagnosed and it has made a difference. Except in the side effects department. At the moment I am not taking it so get around the sexual side effects. Did this once over the summer and it had a positive effect in the "relations" department. After I told my doc about it we went from 80mg to 10mg. All the same effects with lower dosage meds!

I tried for a short time to be a group leader for an ADD MeetUp group here in SA but I've found (through experience with other groups) that San Antonio folks are not meeting types.

So I'm back to forums like this.

Later!

Todd

respkjc
02-01-05, 02:57 AM
Welcome, hope this works better for ya than the meeting did.....Yes, Add meetings haven't worked well for me either!!!!Imagine that.....Welcome
respkjc in Lubbock

David
02-01-05, 03:53 AM
I'm in Houston, TX. Actually north of Houston in The Woodlands. 28 years old, going through a divorce, and I'm a personal trainer. I have a 10 year old daughter who thankfully shows no signs of sharing my ADD. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago, tried Strattera with disasterous results, and am now on Adderall XR which is changing my life.
I'm living up in the Woodland's now myself. Got tired of the South Side Clear Lake commute.
Glad to hear Adderall is working well for you.

meadd823
02-01-05, 05:42 PM
Welcome, hope this works better for ya than the meeting did.....Yes, Add meetings haven't worked well for me either!!!!Imagine that.....Welcome
respkjc in Lubbock

They have those ADD meet ups here in the Austin area as well, but it's memebers are mostly college students. Nothing against collage students but I am looking for people closer to my age who are in the same chapter in thier lives as I am; you know the empty nesters. When college is out of session the meet ups don't happen, which is where I get my theory. Any way I do forums best as time is not a factor. I have trouble with the chat times and writting in "real time" as it streeses me out. I have dyslexia was well as ADD so I have trouble writting especially if I need to keep up with chat so forums work best. Forums are not schedule dependednt they are avalible 24/7 and I can type as slow as I want; participate as often or as infrequent as my schedule allows plus no dress code (clothing optional). I also prefer the forums because it is like conversations are froozen in time if I am unsure of what was said I simple go back a post or two. Too bad all conversations can't be rewound in real time I would do much better in social situations. I like it here welcome!!! :)

CreativeMe
02-04-05, 01:32 PM
I am 36 years old diagnosed about 4 years ago...which helped explain my whole life before hand. I was adopted and my birth family is all ADD ADHD or bipolar or both. If I wasn't adopted maybe I would have known about the ADHD earlier...but that is a dif soap box. When I was young I was clutzy...talkative...did not do well in school...labeled socially immature...reading problems...math problems...etc. I was sent to a diagnostic reading clinic at University of Texas in second grade because of my "problems" with reading and they found I was gifted reading on an 11th grade level in the second grade...my parents were really confused then...and still were until now when I found out that I had ADHD. I take Adderall and Lexapro...Lexapro for anxiety and low grade depression. I work out of the house as an Interior designer...however haven't had a client in years...because I procrastinate on getting out there. LOL. I love to paint, draw, cook, scrapbook, use computer drafting programs....and I like to do all of this at the same time and not finish any of it....really I am not kidding....I have a 14 year old daughter and she is ADHD I am sure of it ...but not diagnosed yet....oh yeah and I have a husband that tolerates my adhd, but is not totally understanding of it and sometimes he thinks I am weird....:rolleyes: I sometimes wonder if I am bi-polar...I was tested but did not show up....I know that my meds help me what ever I am.....that is about it...

meadd823
02-04-05, 10:00 PM
Welcome Creative me. Are you sure you don't have long lost sibblings? We have so much in common we could be sisters. I do computer aided drafting, heck I still draw on long road trip. I buy coloring books if I think they aqre cool. My children can no longer be excuses because they are grown and have kids of thier own. I always have a project or five going. Occasionally I do finish one. I have a wood burning project I started over a year ago. I picked it up a couple of days ago and did a little more. I have problems with spelling still I can freeze a spell checker in under five scentences. I often have to use two spell checks when I write articles. My parents were told I was slow when I was in third grade. I was tested and I couldn't even do retarded right. My reading comprehension was tenth grade level inthe third grade. I have problems with math for the same reasons I have spelling problems I get things turned around. Despite these learning problems I have a weird understanding of things like physics. I can go down a street twice and know exactly what speed I need to travel to hit all the signal lights green. Ask me about math formulas well a more educated response would be obtained from the family dog. I also know weather my boyfriends hair brained ideas are physicially possible before he does. I also work out of the home. Lucky for me my S.O. works with me and he has all the traits of hyperactivity even though he is not intersted in being diagnosisied. He is the motivator of the family. He is the one who gets me up and doing some thing to earn money. Oddly I do the organization stuff he does the get up and go..he goes and does the sales, goes and does pick ups, goes and delivers, goes to the store goes and goes and goes, which is fine by me. Any welcome to the ADD forums. Oh yea HI!!

John David
02-09-05, 12:15 AM
Hi. I'm an emigre to Houston, Texas. I had long suspected my ADHD condition, but didn't care to discuss it with anyone, physicians included, until early last year. I finally decided to make an appointment with a trained psychiatrist with some expertise in the area. I'm happy I did. I am more content in my work and my relationships. I follow a protocol of Adderall and monthly sessions, with journaling and self-education between visits.

Unfortunately, my employer has decided to switch insurance plans. My current psychiatrist, Ramesh Parikh, whom I sincerely like, is not in the new provider network.

My choice is to pay an obscene out-of-network fee for every office visit or switch doctors. Given I have an office visit every month, this could get expensive quickly. I would appreciate any referrals from Houstonians so I can call those offices to determine if they are in-network. If you are into minutiae, I'm switching to United Health Care.

Thanks.

JayTX
02-15-05, 03:05 AM
I'm 22 years old born and raised in San Antonio Texas. I've been diagnosed with ADD since... third grade I think.

smurfymom
02-17-05, 12:15 AM
I'm Chris C., 26yo. A homeschooling mom of two, who would seek official diagnosis and what-not if I had any means to do so (no insurance, definently can't afford otherwise). I've gotten real good at researching medical 'stuff' and pinpointing problems in the kids, which is how I come to be here. Finally decided to allow myself to consider ADD/ADHD as a possibility in my 7yo daughter, and have been BLOWN AWAY by what I've found. In a nutshell she and I both max out every screening checklist as well as official diagnostic checklists (did I mention I've gotten good at finding the stuff the docs look for and use? LOL) I've found so far...and that's a lot. This epiphany (as I call it) came about 2wks ago, good grief does it explain a lot! Not to mention give me some fresh ideas on how to go about improving some things.

Anyway. We live in Decatur, which is about...well, to be honest I have no idea how many miles northwest of Ft Worth. I do know this, though...it takes about an hour to drive to Cook Children's for my kids' endocrinologist appointments. LOL

I'm working on getting my girl diagnosed (my son doesn't even come close to rating as borderline so he's 'safe'. lol) and learning more/everything about ADD right now which is my current 'hyperfocus' (heehee new word for my vocabulary!!).

Cardo
02-26-05, 10:44 PM
Rick, from Central Texas. I am a new guy on the block (49y/o) to the Forum. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD about a week before my 11y/o son was diagnosed with ADD. What lead me to talk to someone about myself was that I could see myself growing up all over again in my son. My wife and I could also see his frustrations from school and few less smiles on his face for the past couple of years. I never struggled in school and he did. I couldn't fix it (just my nature). Two months prior to this he was diagnosed with dyslexia. To finish up, I talk with a Psychiatrist when I realized that I may be ADD/ADHD ( was apparently since childhood ). We met with our son's pediatrician the following week. We are both on meds now and things are starting to looking up. :D

meadd823
02-27-05, 06:04 PM
Howdy neighbors welcome to the forums glad yall are here.

aprillou2
03-17-05, 07:07 PM
Hi. My name is April and I currently live in Lubbock. My new husband and I are moving to somewhere in the metroplex area(TREES!!! YEA! :p . At the moment we are looking at Arlington. My daughter is 8 and dx with ADD about 18 months ago. Need to find a good school district for her. Glad to be here and look forward to talking with everyone. :D

meadd823
03-17-05, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the forums!!!! I once lived in San Angelo, west Texas. I moved to Austin area about two years ago, I do enjoy the greenary here compared to the semi-dessert of west Texas.

greytgang
03-31-05, 02:50 PM
Hello everyone :) ,

I'm Alexandra, I live in Tomball(several miles North of Houston), TX and I was recently diagnosed with ADD. I have been battling with it all my life and because I studied pshychology for a while I thought I was able to deal with my differences all by myself.

Finally, after one year of research about ADHD I was almost certain I had it but it took me another year to decide to get diagnosed.

Looking forward to meet you all.

Alexandra
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

David
06-12-05, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the community, Alexandra. I live just a little ways away in the Woodlands.

Crybaby1898
10-21-05, 12:47 AM
david you are so fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crybaby1898
10-21-05, 12:48 AM
HI yall my name is michelle and i from San Angelo Texas.

Laniard
10-23-05, 02:06 AM
My name is Lani and I have been living in Austin for about a year and a half. I discovered I probably have ADD a few months ago when I was making too many clerical errors at work (got fired over it).:p

Jaycee
10-26-05, 10:20 PM
Wow! I can't believe I just found this mini-forum. I've been around here for a while, but I guess my selective interests have kept me in the blind.

Although I've just recently been diagnosed, I've lived with inattentive ADHD for as long as I can remember. I live in a small town in south central TX. The closest large town is Victoria, but I'm within an hour and a half of Austin, San Antonio and Houston. I currently teach high school special ed math, lifeskills and VAC at a very good 3-A school.

ChrisO
03-31-06, 09:03 AM
Hi,

I'm Chris and I live in Ft. Worth, TX. I was diagnosed with ADD in 1990 and after a one week try of ritalin, which made me sick to my stomach, I've been pretending I don't have ADD ever since.

I came to the huge realization the other day that a large portion of my stress and time management problems at work are due to my ADD and I was relieved to know what was causing it.

Now I'm on a mission to stop ignoring who I am and instead work to overcome some of my problem areas. :)

My husband and I are originally from Pennsylvania (Philadelphia & Harrisburg). We've been married & in Ft. Worth for the past 7 years.

I don't know what to say in introductions so I'm just going to keep rambling... Today is 5 months since I quit smoking so I'm very proud about that.

I have a dog & a cat but no kids. And um.........

That's all! Nice to meet 'cha! ;)

meadd823
04-02-06, 03:23 AM
My name is Lani and I have been living in Austin for about a year and a half.

I live in Georgetown about 30 miles north of Austin!

Shelleypg19
04-11-06, 09:13 AM
Hey, I am 44 and just got on meds. I love it. It has really, really helped me.

I am looking for a doctor in the Segiun area. Also a shrink for my 21 year old stepdaughter who is facing some tough life issues right now and who is very depressed. She also has ADD.

Thanks!

lostwendall
05-18-06, 02:39 PM
Hello Hello :D I'm so glad to find this site.

:soapbox: My introduction....

I was diagnosed with ADHD (non-specific) in Oct 2005. I'm 34 years old and I live in Houston Texas. I've struggled with symptoms my whole life, IMO. I had taken many online tests, read lots of medical studies and had basically self-diagnosed myself for years. Over the years, I struggled with the same issues at work which always resulted in negative performance reviews with the same outcome. "we really like you, we think you are very smart, creative etc. BUT.... you need to listen more, need to slow down, need to this and that, blah blah blah". For the past few years, I've made myself very aware of the fact that I can think, move and propose solutions much faster than most, so I modify my communication style (several high priced sales seminars taught how to do this) so that I could communicate persons on their levels with their style.

So... once again, I got a crappy performance review at work (not the same job, obvioulsy, as it typical with ADDers I change jobs a lot for a myriad of reasons - all of which are NEVER MY fault...:p ) and decided to do something about it.

I read and researched online and chose the Center for Adult Attention Deficit in Houston Texas. Dr. Timothy Butcher (PhD, therapist) and Dr. Hernandez (Psychiatrist, meds) are the docs on board there. They provided extensive testing by using the Wechsler IV Psychological Test. Bsically I went in and said I feel like I've struggled with ADD and want to know for sure. They were very confident and told me that the prelim tests (form and 2 sessions) told them that I should take the more extensive testing and that if I did not have ADD they could tell me what I did have. I found this quite impressive. I am now doing weekly "CBT" (cognitive behavior therapy) to learn personal and time management skills which is FINALLY starting to take hold. Sometimes I just don't want to do something I don't want to do! :mad:

I take 30mg Adderall XR in the morning. I started experience afternoon crashing and Dr. H added an afternoon dosage of 10mg generic "blue pills, taste sugary, amphetamine salts) and I seem to be doing much better. I also take 20mg of xanax for breakout anxiety and one scrip of that lasts me for 3 months which is great since one month scrip is 60 pills I feel like I don't have an issue with taking them or becoming addicted. But they are certainly helpful in times of need.

The only issues I experience is loss of libido and constipation. The 2nd one is getting to be kind of serious and I should talk to my DR about it.

chat with ya'll later

thanks for listening

:cool:
<!-- / message -->

lostwendall
05-18-06, 02:45 PM
oops - I just went and checked the bottle and it is .25 mg of xanax...

I guess 20mg would make me comotose...

f_wcomboadhd
05-18-06, 07:42 PM
Hey lostwendall
welcome!
i'm 30 (verging on 31) and also live in houston....
just lost my inside sales job but you can click on my info and link to all that business to find the scoop if you care to..
but welcome..

meadd823
05-24-06, 05:03 PM
I guess 20mg would make me comotose...

Yea 20mg of Xanax would tend to put ya to sleep; however I knew what you meant though!

Blue sacerine tasting pills Adderall regular release 10mg.......and I hate it when they get stuck on the back of my tongue----yuck, gag!!!! I take Adderall 20mg regular release which are orange but still taste like sacerin -lol

I am a few hours away by Austin Texas.

The "plumbing problems"- prunes-if ya can eat them, or prune juice, If it is a “no” on the prune thing, then try an increase the veggies and fruit departments, along with a slight decrease in the starch department. Most important is an increasing water intake(non-sweated is best). This doesn't have to be drastic dietary change, just moderate switching of food choices and this should help get ya going (if ya know what I mean) !!!!

what
07-09-06, 12:51 AM
hello. i live in san antonio tx. i'm trying to figure out where i can get help without insurance. we are a starving student family without medical. sigh. it's a big pain. anyway, i'm finally going to seek help. it's a big step for me. i always knew something was different. when i was in highschool i was diagnosed add but my mom refused to put me on meds. she's one of the ones with the snap-out-of-it attitude. anyway monday is the big day to try to find somewhere for help. a little about me, i'm a stay at home mom with two toddlers. the only adhd symptom i don't have is the 'h'. i'm not hyper. anyway i hope to finally find a solution to all of my mess.

meadd823
07-09-06, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forums.

You do not mention if you are the student. The college student may be able to go to the college health clinic; if you are unable to access the college health clinic then my next idea would be to try the local MHMR clinic in your area. unable to access the college health clinic then my next idea would be to try the local MHMR clinic in your area

X-Man
07-23-06, 09:37 PM
I live in outside of a small town named Moody. It is close to Temple. I'm looking for a job that is fun to do and good pay. I could be a technology coordinator for a school system, but that wouldn't be fun. Too much stress. I think I would like to work in technology on a cruise ship. Time off would be great. The Carribean resorts. Anyway this is from my front porch looking out.
http://h1.ripway.com/wavecatcher/Entry.jpg

X-Man

rustyg02
07-27-06, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone. Rusty here. 39 yrs old, married with 3 kids in Katy, Tx. Recently diagnosed and treatment is going well so far. I was born in Houston and grew up mostly in Katy. I moved away a few times and finally made it back 7 years ago. Glad I found this forum, as there is alot of good advice on here. Everyone seems to be real friendly.

rexer25
08-22-06, 03:36 PM
I'm a 48 yo married white male in Ft. Worth. I was diagnosed with ADD in 2005 after losing my best paying job ever. I started taking Adderol then, went off of it when COBRA insurance ran out, got another job, insurance kicked in after 3 months, got back on Adderol, it seemed to not work as well, now on Ritalin after increasing Adderol dosage with no seeming effect.

If I was ADD as a child, it wasn't evident except for my fidgitiness and tendancy to daydream. Did well enough in school so it wasn't a problem. Was able to maintain a high GPA in college for 2 years, then decided to major in math. Upper level math courses required much more concentration than I was able to exert, so GPA slid way down past honors levels (and the fact some professors refused to give low grades in major/minor courses). I have been a computer programmer for most of the last 25+ years. I am now in my 9th programming job.

My condition was exacerbated by my wife's stroke in Nov. 2001. She has been living with expressive aphasia since then, which adds to my depression, not to mention my work loads, since I have to carry on most conversations with teachers, doctors, contractors, etc. So, I tend to whine a lot, as well as go on & on when I converse.

So that's enough. Based on my experience in other forums, I look forward to sharing information.

MusikGeliebter
01-03-07, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Erin, I live in Huntsville, TX. I've only been diagnosed for a few years, but that and starting medication has changed my life! Not to say that my life is perfect now, but it's nice to have choices!
Cheers!

Loving
01-08-07, 11:28 PM
I am the mother of a 5 1/2 year old girl with multiple mild disablilites, the most difficult one being extreme ADHD. Even on Focalin and Strattera, her behavior is exhausting and frustrating. The medication has made her less impulsive, keeping her safer, but the attention and energy still has not really improved. She already dislikes school, which is sad for such a young child and the district has turned her down for any services at all (she's passing Kindergarten so she doesn't qualify, but can't read and has tested out at 20% in math). As I am a teacher, I know what the road ahead of her may be like if we can't get a handle on her problems early. She's extremely intelligent (gifted, but probably won't get GT services because she can't sit through the district screening tests) She has diagnosis of visual impairments, Aspergers and Coordination Disorder. We are handling everything through private therapy now and trying to figure out the puzzle. I'm here to network and try to figure out what parts of her personality are the ADHD and what things can be attributed to her other disablilties, as a first step in helping her. Being a high IQ girl with ADHD, the statistics a very much against her...:(

bremersonne
07-27-07, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I live in Austin, just found out I have ADD although I've been wondering for a while... I grew up in Germany, studied art in Arkansas :cool: , and now have lived here in Austin for 4 years. I'm trying to get my masters in special ed, I'm kind of struggling with it, but hopefully I am getting there. I would love to get all the support and help there is in this area or on the forum.
I tried to go to a local meeting here once, but nobody was there. It's pretty ironic. :D After reading all your posts, I guess we can't manage to go to our own support groups... :p

Anyways, would love to hear from you guys and anybody in this area!

Eaglehawk
08-19-07, 10:28 PM
After an absence from the forums, I have returned. To everyone who has posted during my absence welcome to the forums. If there is anything I can to help let me know.

Arei
11-09-07, 12:13 AM
*revives poor thread*

I'm Arei, currently living in Little Elm, Texas (which is in Denton County on Lewisville Lake, its right next to Frisco which is north of Plano which is north of Dallas... you get it xD

I just got diagnosed for ADHD in september. I'm taking Vyvanse for it, its working pretty good.

I am a Texas native, never lived anywhere else XD I've lived in Little Elm for... almost 2 1/2 years now. Before that was Frisco (don't live there, its home to the worst people on the planet), before that was Lewisville, and before THAT and the beginning was Canton, my ghetto little hometown out in East Texas. You can so tell I'm from East Texas, I still have that drawl (not as bad as I used to, but its still there pretty good XD) XDDDD

Nice to meet everyone ^^

CatW
03-06-08, 11:59 AM
~bump....

Name: Cathi
Relationship to AD/HD: 10 year old son

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Grafter
03-21-08, 10:50 AM
I'm in Austin, Texas. 37 y/o

Dx in 2004 ADHD - Inattentive, mild Hyperactive

10 y/o son is currently being evaluated for the same.

pepekaliwete
03-26-08, 10:35 AM
I'm in Houston. We have a 9 year old son with a mild case of ADHD. I say mild in comparison to others I've been reading about. So, I guess in that sense, we are fortunate. He was diagnosed when he was 6 years old. After trying several drugs and supplements, he's settled on Concerta and has been on it for 2 years now. The only downside we've noticed is his decreased appetite. This is part of the reasons we do not medicate him on weekends, holidays, and off days from school so that he will eat normally. I'm looking forward to reading and learning a lot from this forum.

meadd823
04-11-08, 02:11 AM
I'm in Austin, Texas. 37 y/o

I am not far from ya - I live in Bertram.

mspryor
04-18-08, 09:23 PM
Cheryl, here in Huntsville Texas and still lookin for the key. Key to what? my car, my house, my safty deposit box, and just about anything else I might have had a key to and was sure to have lost...

mspryor
04-20-08, 12:43 AM
Cheryl! Huntsville Tx. 48 years old, student and chronicly unemployed. ;) not sad about it.

lookitsmary
04-20-08, 11:53 PM
Mary here....west central Texas....49 years old....ADHA Inattentive, mild hyperactive...2 ADHD sons ages 21 and 24....19 y/o daughter was behind the door when they passed out the ADHD to the rest of us :)

moo4dougie
06-23-08, 02:12 PM
My name is Doug, and I live in Houston, Texas. Specifically, I live between the Westchase and Galleria areas.

While I've struggled with AD/HD all my life, I've only recently begun to be proactive about it. I've tried a few different stimulants, and now I'm beginning Strattera (by itself) again.

I taught high school for four years (world history, world geography, and English), and now I'm back in school for the third time--purusing a doctorate in curriculum and instruction. And that's precisely why I'm being proactive about addressing my AD/HD issues.

Grafter
06-23-08, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Doug!

Why the stern face? Is that from teaching high school? :D

I used to live down in Houston in the Spring Branch/Memorial area. Can't say I miss it.

moo4dougie
06-23-08, 03:11 PM
It could have been... but that was actually me after waiting in a four-hour line... GAH!

ggal
08-14-08, 03:53 PM
ggal here. Anywhere Grafter is, that's where I am. :D

Seriously, though...I'm 35, work in Austin, and am diagnosed with NADDA (that is, I'm Not Attention Deficit Disorder Afflicted :p)

Grafter is ADD, however, so here I am. Hope to get to know y'all.

Grafter
08-14-08, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the Forum, ggal! :D

Glad you're here!
Do you remember where I put my keys?

ggal
08-14-08, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the Forum, ggal! :D

Glad you're here!

Nope. Did you lose them again?

meadd823
08-19-08, 08:00 PM

Have ya looked in the frig, or mail box???? Gary's favorite spot for keys is the ignition of his already locked truck!

Welcome ggal. . . . .

20trackedmind
08-21-08, 08:57 AM
Hi, I am Marci and I live a little South of Dallas. I am Happily married with two children girl age 1 and boy age 4. My son has ADHD like me. I was Dx when I was 35 and my son at age 3. My husband has never been diagnosed by we all believe he has it also to a milder extent now. (He was very hyperactive as a child and there was no ADHD back in the 60's when he was growing up.) My son and I both take meds but also use diet and exsercise to controll our ADHD symptoms.:)

DotwithADD
08-22-08, 12:40 AM
Dot or Dotty (I can never make up my mind - LOL)
East TX

Diagnosed with ADD in 2004, On Metadate CD: 2005 - 2007, then started again, yesterday (Wed, 8/20/08)... Hope I don't forget to call for my prescription and get it in the Mail. I know I have to call about 1 week before I'm out before I call to get the prescription filled. My psych-dr is in Longview, TX.

When I was on Metadate CD in 2007, I made 2 A's and 2 B's: made the Dean's list.

I'm married to my husband, Mike, of 25 years. We have 1 son who will be 22 this October.

I only have 3 more courses to graduate and get my Assoc. Degree.

I've been known to change the subject in the middle of a sentence when I'm talking... no wonder I get strange looks sometimes.

severine
09-11-08, 10:17 PM
name - severine
location - san antonio
relationship to adhd - it's all me.
any questions, just ask! :)

DotwithADD
09-12-08, 11:02 PM
ggal here. Anywhere Grafter is, that's where I am. :D

Seriously, though...I'm 35, work in Austin, and am diagnosed with NADDA (that is, I'm Not Attention Deficit Disorder Afflicted :p)

Grafter is ADD, however, so here I am. Hope to get to know y'all.

Welcome, ggal! That's a cool acronym! Grafter is a gooooood moderator! And he's nice about whatever we do wrong... Hey, ggal, do you ever have to moderate Grafter at home? LOL:D

DotwithADD
09-12-08, 11:05 PM
Roll calling still??

In that case,

"HERE"

Mr Countryboy
10-24-08, 10:17 AM
Hello Everyone from Texas

I am new here and have ADD in Seguin.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Edwin

adhdlolwut
10-24-08, 11:47 PM
Jason
Houston
Diagnosed late for adhd

plainjane2u
10-28-08, 02:49 PM
Amie
Arlington
12 YO son is ADD and I"m looking for a good doc.

BlaneTalk
11-21-08, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone. I am 50 years old in Houston and was diagnosed with ADD six years ago. Four doctors later I'm just starting to feel like I might be on the right medication, but I desperately need more help in managing my job. I was thinking I needed something like an ADD coach or personal trainer. Signed up at CHADD.ORG to find a support group in Houston and got an email reply from them today stating that the Houston CHADD group had shut down. So one google search later, I am here. I am pleased to see such a well organized and active resource available. Thank you.

meadd823
11-21-08, 03:15 AM
Welcome to ADDF wow I figured if any place in Texas would have active support group it would be Houston - I mean Houston is HUGE!!!

BJC81
07-15-09, 05:17 AM
Is there anyone in South Texas? Because I am moving back!

spacestronaut
07-15-09, 07:49 PM
Hello. Thought I would add myself to the list. I'm from Laredo. Diagnosed since 3rd grade :)
Im pretty friendly so dont be afraid to ask me a question or two or ten.

BJC81
07-16-09, 10:16 PM
welcome to the forums!

superstressed
07-17-09, 03:19 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Texas . Please give a brief intro.

Name

My name is superstressed, because that's how I am everyday. I'm married with two daughters. I live in Southeast Texas, which is near the Gulf Coast. We've run from hurricanes just about every year since 2005. We reside in a small refinery town with no job opportunities, excitement, or entertainment which is about 100 miles East of Houston.

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD-Innattentive, and now that I know what ADHD is, I finally realize why I've been such a mess over the years. I am the Queen of Procrastination with no motivation or energy.

BJC81
07-18-09, 01:14 PM
welcome

phEight
07-18-09, 03:39 PM
hello, thought i would join in here since as of yesterday I've been officially diagnosed and prescribed medication for ADD.

name: ph8 (fate,phEight,etc... something i've had going since i was 12 lol)

suffered from add my entire life while convincing myself it was normal and i just needed to suck it up. after a lot of mishaps and failures i confronted this possibility, and now i'm hoping for a much improved life with the help of medication. good to be here.

DotwithADD
07-20-09, 03:06 PM
Okay, I'm "HERE" again (from East Texas)...

Welcome to all the Texas ADD/ADHD newbies since I've been out (brain-wise, too.. LOL)

So glad to have y'all!

meadd823
07-20-09, 10:31 PM
Is there anyone in South Texas? Because I am moving back!

Depend on how far south - I think I am considered as living in central Texas I am a little north west of Austin

BJC81
08-31-09, 08:26 AM
I am back and living in South Texas. It is good to get away from the city life! Please feel free to contact me!
Take it easy
Brian

Kiddder
08-31-09, 09:32 AM
Dallas.....Go Cowboys!

scubagirl
11-11-09, 09:03 PM
I am from Pasadena, Texas. I moved here with my husband and two kids, all three of whom have ADHD, from Canada a year and a half ago. We got here just in time for Hurricane Ike and the first snow they have seen in the area for many years. LOL! We love Texas. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

dinger70
07-13-10, 07:20 PM
Hello, I'm from Kerens, Texas, about an hour south of Dallas. My name is Shannon, and I'm a 39 year old father. My daughter, who is 7, lives with me.

BJC81
07-14-10, 04:50 AM
Welcome!!!

biomedbuddy
07-18-10, 12:49 PM
This is Ron in Houston Texas 77040 zip code which is near jersey city.I relocated from another state 7 months ago while presently in between jobs. Im also searching for a doctor who can treat me for my diagnosed ADD condition with meds and has a reasonably low office visit fee since im presently without medical insurance. If anyone can recommend a decent doctor in Houston with reasonable office visit fee, please do so. I would appreciate it. Thanks

Dad1963
04-21-13, 01:39 PM
Hi! I'm Rick and I'm in San Antonio. Both myself and my daughter were diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago.

Ill_Favors
05-13-13, 03:16 PM
I'm Sara currently in Austin, Texas. Been here around 7 years now. I am married to a very patient and loving husband. I am originally from Pasadena, Texas.

DotwithADD
07-29-13, 02:18 PM
I'm here... Dotty from East Texas. I'm back again. Hope to check in more often.

DelStan
10-19-13, 11:12 PM
Houston,TX

TXJK14
11-05-14, 04:45 PM
Hailing from East Texas area... Longview/Diana/Daingerfield area. Know where those places are? yeah, didn't think so LOL!!!!

Piper30
11-06-14, 03:43 AM
Piper

San Antonio, Texas