View Full Version : Roll Call - New York Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 07:01 PM
This is a roll call for members living in New York . Please give a brief intro.

Name

Andrew
12-20-03, 07:12 PM
Name: Andrew
Relationship to ADD: I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 24 years old. My mother has since been diagnosed. I am one of the Site Admins for the ADD Forums, and also run a website dedicated to providing information on ADD and other disorders (www.bigsplace.com).

doogie2756
12-27-03, 08:19 PM
doogie,i was diagnosed with add 2 1/2 years ago.i am about 60 miles north of new york city.

DONVITO
04-14-04, 03:16 PM
NAME: DONVITO
A MARRIAGE CNSLR. SUGGESTED THAT I MAY HAVE ADD.
I,M 45 AND YES I WAS JUST DIAG. BY DR. ADLER AT NYU.
THEY WILL BE SCREENING FOR ADD ON MAY 7 IN NYC.
NOW I AM BEGINING TO UNDERSTAND WHY AS SUCCESSFUL AS I AM MY LIFE IS SO CHAOTIC.

jac_crazyinside
06-22-04, 07:59 PM
Name: Jac_crazyinside (Jacqui C.)/ age: 22
Curse: ADD and Dyslexia

Was diagnosed with Dyslexia in 3rd grade but was not identified as having ADD until my Dad was diagnosed when I was a freshman in high school. Struggled through college on Ritalin, assorted anxiety meds and anti-depressents, and an occasional trip to my Dad's theripist. I have actually studied a lot about ADD in women -- did a senior project about the success rate of women with ADD in colleges and universities. But then I graduated...

Two years after graduation I am on my second job. Three months ago I was hired at my current position and have already had "the discussion" -- you know -- you are very talented, that is why we hired you, and you have great potential, but you have 30 days to improve your communication skills...

And thus, I am here. Looking for some serious help and support. I just don't want to cry anymore. My 2 year relationship with my boyfriend is falling apart. I don't have any friends. I finally have a job that recognizes my full potential and is willing to give me the chance to prove my talent (a marketing manager at 22!) and I am on the verge of self-distruction. Oh, and my finances are in ruins. So yeah, that's me.

robmhill
07-05-04, 12:31 PM
rob
manhatten
add, pdd, dep
student
learning to study and getting better
good support wife and dad

Andrew
07-05-04, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the New York Local Support section of the ADD Forums, Rob!

irish guy
07-10-04, 01:40 PM
Mike
Utica NY, (Central) Yes! contrary to popular belief there is life above Yonkers.
dx'ed with ADHD, depression, and borderline Schizophrenia in February 2004.
Currently only using Straterra.

Careem
08-10-04, 02:48 AM
Brooklyn NY.

Crystal47
08-10-04, 09:42 AM
Hello, everbody! I'm Crystal in Utica, the zombie town of Upstate NY. I'm 23, and was diagnosed three days before my last B-day. I'm a college student majoring in Liberal Arts, and I have a big black cat who seems a little ADD too, at times!;) I like to cook, draw, make beaded jewelery, paint, garden, sew, write horror stories, watch movies, and read anything I can get my little Hobbit-hands on.

By the way, Mike, if there's life here, I haven't seen much of it!:p

daisyo75
08-23-04, 12:26 PM
Name: Daisy

Location: Rockland County, NY - Upstate to those in the city - downstate to everyone else

I have not been officially diagnosed but feel pretty certain that I have Inattentive Type ADD. My son is showing signs of ADD but since he is only 3 years old we are focusing on getting my issues dealt with so that I can handle him :)

CEN7272
08-31-04, 09:31 AM
Well, I haven't actually been diagnosed with ADD yet, but I've been doing research on the subject and I think that I have finally found out the reason for alot of my frustrations growing up in school, family life and work. As I've been reading and taking online tests, everything points to inattentive ADD. Its kind of a relief but also extremely irritating because I can't help but think what my life would have been like so far if it would have been cought earlier. I don't blame anyone for not figuring it out earlier, but it is still frustrating thinking of how I have quit jobs because I couldn't handle them or how my parents and now my wife have been so upset at many of the things that I am now learning might be controllable. I joined this forum to help me figure out the next step I should be taking and how other people have dealt with it

nat2kat
08-31-04, 10:36 AM
lynne
Manhattan

Just joined this forum today - although i'm 43 y.o., recently realized that my lifelong, unwaivering chaos could be ADD and am currently exploring it- made appointment with MD who specializes in ADD, although yet to be diagnosed. Wondering if medication is the route for me; with all my chaos, disorganization, lack of focus and job hopping and avoidance; impulsive moments; and coming home to no electriciy - i like my 'character' and am scared medication will make me dull, less creative, etc.

work as a newspaper reporter and know i'm good but sometimes can't even process simple information or write a paragraph on deadline - but need the deadline hanging over my head. so frustrated that i work mostly as a legal secretary and freelance my news stories so editors can't see my chaotic madness.

want to know if there are there any meds that help low lying depression as well as brain scatter.

does this all sound familiar?

T-Bass
12-14-04, 12:38 PM
T-Bass
Severe ADHD (lived with almost every symtom for 27 years)
dx few months ago.

I'm 28 years old, lived in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn my whole life, I moved to Long Island about a year ago since I could never find parking in Brooklyn where ever I go. Parking is one of the most important things I must have where I live and work.

I like Long Island, lots of parking everywhere.

T-Bass

...Daria
12-17-04, 01:23 AM
Charismasdream here
I am a 28 year old single mother just realizing what may have been a super problem needing resolve in an instant. I was born and raised in Jersey City, NJ. Lived in Georgia for the last 10 years and now in NY. I want to go back now!!!! lol

AddieGirl2000
12-31-04, 02:04 PM
My name is Adrienne, I am 32. I live in NYC and I was diagnosed with ADHD 2 years ago.

moke
01-11-05, 01:41 PM
Name: Amy
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Park Slope) - I really miss parking and my car!!!!!!! But love the park and the food...

I'm 29 and a divorced mom of two. I just posted a long introduction in the general intro section, so I'll spare you that. My mom is a teacher of students with learning disabilities and her and the director of her school (dedicated to students with learning disabilities) diagnosed me with some sort of indeterminate organizational disability long ago - they coached me through school - I never would have made it without them.

It's been years since I lived in my mom's house and life has gone downhill since then. I came upon the definition of ADD inattentive type in a roundabout way (see general intro) and just called one of the practitioners from the website to look into it more. In the meantime, it's a shock and a relief to see myself described so accurately in ADD articles!

mralwaysright
01-29-05, 12:13 AM
I'm Keith
I'm 34 and live in Brooklyn, NY.
I was a grad student until a few months ago when I quit because I couldn't get myself to work on my final thesis for more than 4 weeks out of every year for the past 6 years. I'm trying to understand why. It may be ADD. In the process of finding out.

SmileAndTheCity
03-18-05, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Patty
I live in Chelsea - Manhattan, NY
I just realized I have ADD a few days ago. I am 31 years old and saw a doctor and I have a prescription of Strattera that I am trying out.
I am very smart and have been able to get by pretty well so it never ocurred to me or anyone else that I had ADD. I have an unusual background and am absent minded, people typically attributed my spacey-ness to my culture.
Tons to tell but will try to keep this short. Am looking forward to being in touch and very happy to have found this site.

Have a great day!
Patty

mrgoodwrench
03-23-05, 01:46 PM
Jason here in Liverpool a suburb of Syracuse.
32 years old and figured it out on my own about 10 years ago(give or take a couple -- I forget)
Recently sought professional help and am curently on a trial of Concerta

Andrew
03-23-05, 07:35 PM
Hello all New Yorkers!!!!

MozFan
04-01-05, 06:13 PM
Brooklyn in the house here...29 yr old gay female with OCD and now I believe, ADD.

abc :0 !
04-03-05, 08:53 PM
Hi, name's PJ. from Long Island, NY. I'm 47, married, no kids. Diagnosed last year in 2002. I seem to be getting worse. Am very unhappy with the only psychiatrist in my area who is supposedly an expert in adult ADD.

dizwip
04-29-05, 07:53 PM
Hi, I'm Dave aka Dino living in Chelsea, Manhattan. Struggling with this for eternity, although I really can't speak to my past lives. 38 years old and fed up with my ambition and my actions never adding up. As we speak, I am in a rut, not leaving the house a whole lot. The rock and hardplace are; I can not seem to start anything, primarily because I know the end result, and have significant fear of the depression that follows these false starts. I hope this forum can help.

madeskv
05-04-05, 11:21 PM
name- madeskvlocation- long island,ny
Mom to three boys with adhd- one inattentive, one hyperactive and one mixed. I believe that both myself and my husband are also ADHD but undiagnosed. I also have OCD.

Andrew
05-05-05, 08:51 AM
Hi, name's PJ. from Long Island, NY. I'm 47, married, no kids. Diagnosed last year in 2002. I seem to be getting worse. Am very unhappy with the only psychiatrist in my area who is supposedly an expert in adult ADD.

Make sure you check out the lists of ADHD docs in this section, PJ!

ImpetuousFool
05-13-05, 04:22 PM
Hi PJ,

My name is David. I was diagnosed more then 10 years ago. Your being unhappy with the treatment you are getting doesn't surprise me.

My experience/opinion has been that most professionals who claim ADD expertese are practicing out of a "cook book". I think getting the RIGHT help is critical to making life work with ADD. If it doesn't feel right keep looking. Be prepared to search as long and far as it takes till it feels right.

Years of excellent therapy before being diagnosed with ADD gives me some claim to being an "educated consumer". The diagnosis was flat out wrong. The treatment was good .... for the most part. It wasn't until very recently I could see how it wasn't.

Medication is only part of the answer. Cognitive (thinking) and behavioral issues need attention. Having an understanding and supportive partner makes a world of difference. I didn't make a good choice. She's a great person .... my best friend and worst enemy.

There is hope. It took most of my life to learn there are more advantages then disadvantages to having ADD. You just need to "accentuate the positive" ..... yatta, yatta, yatta ....

Good Luck,

David

ImpetuousFool
05-13-05, 05:02 PM
Just found the forums today. Definitely seems like hanging out here could improve my quality of life.

I was diagnosed with ADD more then 10 years ago. Saying it changed my life changed my life is like using a nuclear device to jump to a higher plane of existance. :cool:

Going on meds made it possible to achieve internal equilibrium at the cost of my external world disintegrating. It took a while. Things seemed to get much better. I had my biggest professional success. Issues I had worked on for years without much progress were resolved with dispatch.

The better I got the worse things were for me. Some bad rolls of the dice, the dot com bust, 9/11 and the list goes on didn't help. The single biggest factor was my marriage breaking up. Talk about cosmic XXXX storms.

It has been a long and winding trail that has marroned me Long Island. Working at resurecting my career as a software architect has provide little opportunity to make new friends. Old ones were house cleaning casulties.

I hope to make some new friends through the forums.

Anybody wanna get silly.

david

Andrew
05-13-05, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the ADD Forums, David!

ProfDD
05-25-05, 07:48 AM
Relatively mild ADD. Didn't keep me from academic success. Kept me from career advancement and good social life. Sabotaged my ambitions. Helped me get into marriage with a narcissist, soon to end.

Didn't really accept diagnosis until last year. Finally got adequate dosage of Strattera 3 months ago. Use "Getting Things Done" for organizing.

Want to find or start Adult ADD support group in Westchester, NY, possibly ADDA affiliate.

OoopsIForgot
08-19-05, 10:58 PM
Name: OoopsIForgot
I was diagnosed with ADDHD, Selective Hearing, Learning Disabilities and a very low Comprehention level at the age of 6. The doctors put me on ritalin right then and there. Stopped taking it when i got pregnant for my first child got back on it and stopped taking it for my second child and then it was changed and now i am on ADDERAL XR just started that Aug. 16, 2005... Kinda makes things seem different but i can see the difference between ritalin and ADDERAL.... I hope to get better with the new meds....

Joyous56
08-19-05, 10:58 PM
My name is Joyce, 48 year old single mom of 19 yr old son....in college....(yeah!!). Rochester, NY
Recently diagnosed, but I'm not sure of the diagnosis...
Tried Strattera....now on Ritalin

jmarx75
09-25-05, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone.

Add and depression. what a wonderful combination eh? :)
I am 30 years old, at a crossroads in my life.
I have never had a girlfriend and struggle big time with social issues.
I had lived near friends all my life up until last year when i moved to an area where i dont know anyone and that is when my depression kicked in when i realized i had gone through most of my life in a fog. I have social issues and all kinds of other ones, which are hard for me to describe.
I just feel things are slipping away. My career is going pretty well, but i would be further if it wasn't for my inability to control my impulsive behavior. The constant loneliness wears on me. I have had a couple mini-relationships but nothing that has lasted cause i usually say/do something to wreck things due to my impulsive nature of not thinking b4 speaking or acting.
I want to reverse this, but every time i appear to be making progress, i suffer a major setback. I'm just very frustrated i guess, and i have a hard time beleiving that things will change. I guess im here in an effort to keep that beleif and hope alive. Thanks for listening.and i look forward to interacting with you guys. I live in wappingers falls, NY

mymind
11-12-05, 11:00 PM
Donna, Queens, NY. I'm 47 and was recently diagnosed. Now I know what was going on all my life! Better late than never! By the way, does anyone out there know of a support group in Queens or Nassau Counties, maybe even Manhattan, other than CHADD? I would like to find a small informal chat group.

Andrew
11-13-05, 12:10 AM
You might want to check here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242

roly poly
01-28-06, 12:17 AM
I'm Tom, I live in the Fingerlakes, I was diagnosed 3 months ago and I'm 50. Wish I knew 40 years ago what i know now. I've got a long way to go to get to know myself better, but I'm getting there.:)

Rhodeo
01-28-06, 11:43 PM
Hello!
Rhodeo--Brooklyn, NY
27 year old law student
I was diagnosed with Depression in 98, but was in denial and didn't start to get treatment until 2001. I have been on various meds since then and have been doing well on Wellbutrin XL.

I was told by my family dr to get tested for ADD in 98, as well...but didn't get around to doing it until about a month ago :( I'm such a procrastinator. I don't know how I made it this far in my education! Anyways, I'm taking Adderall XR.

anonymid
10-10-06, 03:45 AM
Hi, I'm David. I'm sort of a grad student at SUNY-Albany, though I'm currently taking time off and am living in Georgia now. I have inattentive ADD, and that, among other problems (depression, anxiety) has derailed my studies. Frankly, my prospects of returning to school are looking dim; I just don't think I'm up to it. I have too much unfinished work hanging over me, and I just don't think I have what it takes right now to get back on track. My original plan was to get caught up on everything this fall and return to Albany in January to resume my studies, but that's looking unlikely now. (I figured I'd post here anyway, even if I don't end up returning to Albany.)

Agnostic Front
09-02-07, 11:01 AM
Hi my name is Dennis grew up in NJ Toms River area moved to NY, I was diagnosed about three years ago. (currently taking stattara) I'm basicly tring to connect with people that have gone throght the same experince. Is it just me ort are most non add people are boring?

Melvin Schmekel
12-03-07, 07:37 PM
Hey All-
My name is Fred. 34 y.o. M
I'm from Ithaca, New York.
Newly diagnosed with ADD. I left a new note w/some Q's on the 'Adult ADD Board', so check there if you have time.
Ithaca is a weird little town, if any of you know anything about it you probably know what I mean, so I'm surprised not to see anyone else from I-Town on the board. Maybe you're hiding!
Anyway, "Howdy Everyone from the Empire!" You'll be hearing from me soon!

Fred

auraanna
01-05-08, 06:43 PM
anna
Born in Poland, but raised in NYC, live in Brooklyn currently
Diagnosed about 5 years ago, been on adderall ever since.
No one understood my growing up. I would play with ants in the park for hours or make animals out of tissues in the doctors office. In between I was completely zoned out. Tested for ADD, but always passed, and my parents thought it was a hoax anyway. Finally when in college I realized I was working 10 times as hard as everyone else to get barely passing grades, it was time to re-evaluate. After meds I felt like "ah, so this is how it feels to be normal." I could actually relax for once and sleep for 6-8hours. It's been a lifesaver knowing that I can actually accomplish something, and that there are others out there that struggle with the same things.

Now I'm in the career pool, and things are not looking so good. Taking lexapro for slight depression, switched to Dex, and trying to keep my head up. The Dex is not working for me, unfortunately, and my budding carreer has reversed itself:( hopefully things will get better soon.

Andrew
01-05-08, 06:46 PM
Welcome to another New Yorker!

Liadan
02-08-08, 11:19 PM
Liadan
Rochester, NY
Not diagnosed yet, but I think I have the inattentive type of ADD. Trying to learn more. My dad has been diagnosed with the hyperactive type.

writerchicknyc
05-05-08, 12:02 AM
Hi, I'm Lisa. I just found the board and I'm in the information gathering period right now. My therapist is pretty sure that I have ADD, but it isn't her specialty. The other providers she has referred me to are just too expensive, so I'm here looking for resources that will be covered by my insurance or that aren't 500 bucks for an intake session.

sharon1175
05-08-08, 03:27 PM
Name: Sharon

New to New York as well as new(ish) to ADD. I've had some symptoms for many years. Some are getting worse as time goes by. My career is struggling as a result and I need help snapping out of this.

I'm not sure where to turn for professional help. I made one call but am not sure whether he'll be much help. Not finding much info on him. A search of his name brings up a guy in the city... not sure if it's the same guy or not. I can't run to the city for appointments. Not sure what his specialty is anyway. Contacted CHADD in Nassau County for referrals, but not sure what I'll get.

nsterrett
07-28-08, 12:26 PM
Name: Nat
Curse: ADHD, Dyslexia, Other LD issues that I can't remember the name of
Medications: Adderall XR, Wellbutrin XL, Lexapro

Diagnosed at 21, as I was trying not to fail out of college. Sixteen years later, I have finally found a superb counselor for me, as well as for me and my wife. ADHD has been a source of _major_ problems for me. I wonder at how diffferent my life could have been, had my diagnosis (and effective treatment) been much earlier. I am sick and tired of looking over my shoulder for my next screw up to knock me over.

XRosieRosieX
10-02-08, 12:19 AM
Name : Rosie
Relationship to AD/HD : I seriously think I have ADD. I have been reading everything that I can on the subject and everything that describes this disease fits me. I have been studying for an exam that I am supposed to take in 2 days, but I am going to postpone, because I am once again not ready. I have postponed this exam many many times. I keep telling myself I just need discipline, that I need to teach my self discipline. I get crowded out of enjoying a lot of my life because I am so busy dealing with details that are either completely off topic, or are just plain irrelevant. I initially thought I was experiencing depression, but kept reading, and then thought I was experiencing OCD, but kept reading, and now that I've stumbled across ADD, I feel like I just need to hit print, and go to my doctor. I just dont know which doctor to go to, or what kind of doctor to go to. Having no health insurance doesnt help a bit....

:o

James214
11-11-08, 02:56 PM
Jim
Syracuse, NY
Diagnosed with ADD last year at 39...finally someone caught on (a clinical supervisor).
Got tired of trying to explain myself to therapists who couldn't find anything "wrong", 1) because I was usually in good moods in session 2) didn't know what to say other than mood swings. All the other "stuff" (ADD-related) was never discussed because I just thought I was different from others and had to live with it. Before, the closest I cam to a diagnosis was when I left work and went for a psych eval because I was just confronted by my boss for "forgetting an assignment". But I didn't think Bipolar suited me well. So here I am!

Cowboy
11-20-08, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

Just found this section of the forum.

Also diagnosed last year at 39. I live in upstate NY as well.. Funny all the ADD stuff was missed by me also, just beleive I was a bit weird and the only one who struggled with these things.

Thanks for look 'in
Ryan

machinehead
02-19-09, 01:53 PM
Hi, Raphael from Brooklyn, NY here.

Always thought I just suffered from depression, never knew the depression was compounded by ADD. I'm 42 and feeling lost.

jjreadhd
02-25-09, 04:44 PM
In Hudson Vally NY

ADHD Ans Bipolar Manic depression

rombow
03-23-09, 04:53 PM
Name - Romaine
Location - Brooklyn, New York
Relationship to AD/HD -<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> I diagnosed myself with A.D.D and Its mixed with Phobia. I never thought in a million years ill have this type of problem.

BrooklynJosh
06-23-09, 04:02 PM
Josh - Brooklyn, NY

Always had great grades until HS, then I got by without opening a book and have been on that path ever since. College - never finished but did my senior recital and got through it, but can't do those two last required classes, and I need to.

Was nearly suicidal getting ready for my recital, and finally have a great job, but I can't screw this up. Seeing commercials and reading make me think I have ADHD.

Now I'm looking for a reputable person who takes my insurance (Oxford) in NYC.

negative.zen
04-26-10, 06:45 PM
Name: Gary
Relationship to AD/HD: Diagnosed ADD in 1982-83, haven't been medicated since 1984

meridian
04-26-10, 07:15 PM
Name: Joe
Relationship to AD/HD: Started Strattera late Oct 2009 (at age 59)

ros99
05-10-10, 10:06 PM
Hi, I have just joined the forum. I am 45 years old and live in Queens NY. I have not been diagnosed with ADD but have recently started reading about it and believe that this is what has been causing my lifelong problem of being unable to focus, or concentrate. I have a high IQ but did badly in college because of my inability to focus on anything. My career has gone nowhere for the same reason.
I really need help to get to the root of this problem. I would appreciate any referrals etc for any doctors in Queens NY with experience in treating ADD.