View Full Version : Going to the Pdoc tomorrow to reveal BPII but want to keep Adderall!

KFabulous
01-11-07, 12:15 AM
I was diagnosed with ADD and the doc gave me Adderall 30mg a day. But I didn't tell him that I had Bipolar II and I have been researching different antidepressants to augment the Adderall. My fist choice is Prozac. It seems to not be so sedating and doesn't cause weight gain(main concern)

Has anyone else had experince with these two drugs and how did it work out for you? I need fast advice because my apt is tomorrow at 12. Any other antidepressants that you would recommend as far as augmenting?

Crazy~Feet
01-11-07, 01:11 AM
Aren't you the same person who admitted you use Adderall to sustain hypomania? An antidepressent without a mood stabilizer is also inclined to result in hypomania.

I urge you to be entirely honest with your doctor. That's my advice to you, as one BPII to another. Playing with medications to provoke hypomania is not a good treatment plan for bipolar patients, IMHO. If hypomania were a good and healthy state of being, we would not have a diagnosis of a disorder now would we? :cool:

KFabulous
01-11-07, 02:02 AM
Well I suppose I am just in denial about how bad it can be. When I was younger it was worse but the Adderall does help with the impulse control quite a bit. The only bad thing that I really do is stay out late and go dancing and go shopping all the time. But now I have the cash to do so, and I also save quite a bit. I am quite a sensible person now. I am successful at work and preform my duties well. I just get the blues a lot and I need to cushion the rebound blues. So I woulds rather not go on a mood stablizer. I will feel worse about being so sedated that I can't function. Everyone is different and it is worth a shot. This is something I could comply with.

Nova
01-11-07, 09:43 AM
Kfab,
I was prescribed Prozac, in the past, and the only summary I have for my 'experience', is to say 'it wasn't a pretty picture'.

I didn't even realize the 'effect', it was having on me, until one day, I re-read some of my 'email/message' replies, while I was prescribed it- and truly was horrified at what I *said*, in them.
I went beyond *mean*.

Nothing anyone *said*, about my changed behavior, was convincing to me at the time.

It took my 'observing' my own behavior, and realizing that I wasn't behaving anything like I 'normally' do, through reading my replies, to finally 'sink in'.

I'll never take it again.

But..
The only way for you to know which meds work for you, as an adult, is if you are capable of knowing 'yourself', as much as possible.

Best wishes !

jennyjay
01-11-07, 11:30 AM
I was dx with bipolar II and ADD. I have been with the same doc for over 2 years now. I was on Lamictal for a while, but once I increased the dose I had vertigo (it happens in like 2% of people who take it). I have also been on prozac. The sexual side effects were HORRIBLE for me, I had no desire and physically could not reach "climax". If you have not tried Lamictal, you should, it works really well for lots of people (and no sexual side effects). I also take adderall, 80 mg a day. Currently that is all that I am on. It seems to be losing its effectiveness though, I want to switch to Desoxyn because all the methylphenidates make me an emotional mess.

Anyways, your doctor should know about the bipolar in order to treat you in the most effective way.

good luck:o

KFabulous
01-13-07, 01:54 AM
Alright I feel like a complete dumb azz. I went to the Pdoc and he said that I could try the prozac with the adderall and see what happens. I feel stupid for the things I have said before in former posts. I am just such a noob to this illness and I am going to take it more seriously from now on. I guess I didn't realize how serious it was and I wanted to make light of it so that it didn't seem so bad. That is part of the greiving process I suppose. But I am ready to accept my illness for what it is. Sorry for being so annoying :(

bltscience
01-25-07, 10:47 PM
Awesome job. Way to get on with living.

Please... If you can.. just provide them with the TRUTH to the questions they ask you. STAY on POINT with the questions they ask and do not ramble..

They will list out the medications for you. Sometimes something as simple as good ol Lithium will do the trick.

When I was first dx with BPII and ADHD, I was on my way to almost losing everything, family, job, houses, etc. Once I got it under control... I still ended up losing the job, but was able to get a new one and a better one.. within days of leaving the other company.

Net net, I was hung up on not admitting to myself what the REAL issue was. I am glad I did and sought the advice of three different docs before arriving at the combination that worked for me.

At the end of the day, it is two years later, my wife has still not forgiven me for being so irresponsible with my health, but I am in more control of my thoughts.

If I am hell bent on mania, a trip to starbucks will do the trick for an hour or two.

nzkiwi
01-26-07, 12:08 AM
Is an antidepressant + stimulant standard treatment for bpII. I thought at least a mood stabilizer was required.

Don't some mood stabilizers have less potential for weight gain?

Nova
01-26-07, 02:37 PM
In my opinion, treatment-whether 'standard' or not, varies from Doc to Doc.

In my opinion, 'weight gain' is subject to many other 'factors', inherent upon the individual.

Again, if you 'read' enough 'material', that states that 'such and such' is caused by 'such and such', and not read any other types of material, which dictate otherwise...this 'assumption' will subliminally/subjectively become 'truth'.

netsavy006
01-26-07, 03:13 PM
I have a dx of both Asperger's and Bipolar I - Rapid Cycling. I take zoloft for panic attacks that I use to get. The Risperdal I'm hoping I can stay on for the mania half because it is working very well for me at this point. I'm starting to notice the changes the medication is helping to make.

Matt S.
01-26-07, 03:26 PM
I can say that Lamictal just evens out the edges and keeps me calmer, the dexedrine has the most profound effect on my hyperactive qualities, I guess the behavior problem was often the cause of my issues. I can say that I am hyperactive all of the time, the antidepressant effect was of another spectrum, psychotic. My depressions are more or less mixed states so that's part of it too but man The antidepressants were hard to stop.