View Full Version : Roll Call - Rhode Island Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 07:10 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Rhode Island . Please give a brief intro.

Name

LoveMyGirls
08-13-04, 11:16 PM
Hi, I hope I'm not the only one from RI ...

Hi, I'm Maureen. I have a 10 year old daughter that was diagnosed with ADHD in the 1st grade. I won't bore you with the details, especially since I already did an into on the new members into thread.

Looking forward to meeting other ADHDrs in the area and compare experiences with the local professionals.

Maureen

lotsofconfusion
08-15-04, 02:58 AM
Nope! Your not the only one from RI! I was begining to think that I was the only one. I have no children of my own but I spend a lot of time working with children... I have been in and out of the RI elem. schools through college placements, some were special ed classes. I work as a camp counselor and also in before and after school programs. I have also been diagnosed with ADHD, less than a year ago.

LoveMyGirls
08-16-04, 10:19 PM
Well, hey! I'm glad I'm not the only one from the Ocean State!!

Funny, we joined these forums the same month and have approximately the same number of posts.

A friend of mine from Massachusetts has that same quote from Driven to Distraction on her AOL signature.

Good luck finding what works for your ADHD. It seems like a never ending battle sometimes.

Maureen

lotsofconfusion
08-16-04, 11:57 PM
No kidding, huh! This is typical for RI! Chances are that we have probalby even bumped into each other at some point in time...
That quote came from Driven to Distraction?? I've read that and don't recall it there... it probably was though. I actually got it from a country song. I think his name is Ricky Skaggs?? I'm not really into country music but just happened to come across that particular song and liked it. It was just so fitting!
A never ending battle is right! I'm still working on it! I don't exactly have the time to be messing around with different meds and their side effects!
How is your daughter doing with it? She's lucky to have been ID'd so early in school. Lots of luck to her too!

LoveMyGirls
08-29-04, 11:56 AM
My daughter seems to be doing better now that she's switched from Strattera to Concerta. We're still titrating up, but for now whe's taking 27 mg. It seems to affect her sleeping a little, but I think it has more to do with the fact that she's so hungry at night--keeps getting up because she needs something to eat. She is still eating throughout the day, but not as much. I don't think the 27 mg will do it for school, but I'm not in a hurry to switch to 36 yet, because I'm afraid the sleeping and eating issues will get worse. Just taking it slow.

Middle school starts tomorrow and I'm a little nervous for her! :eek:

Do you go to the CHADD meetings? I've gone a few times and plan on attending again this year. Perhaps we'll bump into each other there.

Maureen

lotsofconfusion
08-31-04, 11:11 PM
I'm glad that she's doing better with the new meds. In all honesty, I haven't heard much positive info with Strattera. I've spoken with a few parents whose child was on it and they only complained about the side effects. I don't know much about Concerta either although I was thinking of giving it a try myself. Unfortunatly my dr. doesn't seem to know much about it either, in fact, she doesn't seem to know much about any of the "new" meds as she likes to call them. It is time for a new dr... I'm getting to to that! I don't blame you for not wanting to rush the dosages. After a couple of weeks, the side affects should start to wear off and then try upping it. I'm not sure if thats how Concerta works, but that has been my personal experience.
I've heard about the CHADD meetings but haven't gone yet. I have to check out the website and find out when and where the meetings are. Let me know if you decide to go...
I'm sure your daughter will do fine in Middle school! She may be a bit nervous at first, but I'm sure she'll adapt! Its natural!

LoveMyGirls
01-10-05, 11:33 PM
I've heard about the CHADD meetings but haven't gone yet. I have to check out the website and find out when and where the meetings are. Let me know if you decide to go...
I'm sure your daughter will do fine in Middle school! She may be a bit nervous at first, but I'm sure she'll adapt! Its natural!
I know it's been a while since I've posted, but hopefully you're still checking the boards. I've been going to all the CHADD meetings this year. The speakers they have lined up are phenominal. Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

My daughter is doing well on Concerta. She had a lot of trouble getting up and ready for school in the morning--was late more than a few times, but after trying several things, her doctor recommended we try giving her a small dose of short acting Ritalin just before she gets up. She is getting done with little or no prompting in the a.m. and hasn't been late to school since--she's very proud of herself.

She loves middle school--WHEW! She has also improved in several areas and we're continuing to work on the typical ADHD trouble areas, but that's a work in process anyway.

lotsofconfusion
01-14-05, 03:10 AM
HI! Yes, I'm still checking when I can. Been kinda busy lately. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing better now. I used to be horrible getting up in the mornings for school myself, but my mother was a great help! I didn't have much choise with her, especially when I'd miss the bus! I'm still not a morning person and try to schedual all my classes for the afternoon or night... would sleep through the am ones!
I still haven't gone to any of the Chadd meetings, actually forgot about them. I checked out the "calendar" they posted and I'm thinking of attending the March 2nd meeting. Most of them seem to deal with children, which is fine, if I had any! I am majoring in Speech pathology so that one sounds interesting. I've studied my share of IEPs so I think I'm set with the next one... :o)
If you don't mind my asking, what part of RI are you from?

k31kozumi
04-18-05, 03:08 PM
hi
another rhode islander here!
what does that make it 4?
i live in pawtucket, work in providence.
i'm 32....a girl..:p ...not married no kids.
don't know what else to say! especially since it soesn't seem like anyone has visited this thread in a while.....

but hi just in case!

lotsofconfusion
04-28-05, 11:39 PM
Hi there! Always glad to talk to a fellow rhode islander! Based on this thread, i think there are only 3 of us.. Well, three is better than none :)
I am 26, female (sorry!), single with no kids either. Been diagnosed for approximately a yr and a half now and still trying to figure out what's going on!
I come by every so often but it isn't much fun to talk to myself here... :rolleyes:

yupyup1128
04-29-05, 01:38 AM
i live in ri as well though sadly ... well not really ,,,, i am moving to denver!! but yeah i live in prov, so yep im a girl and a student no kids no relationships haha

yupyup1128
04-29-05, 07:00 PM
and 19

lotsofconfusion
05-02-05, 02:16 AM
What??? You're leaving us??? :( Denver sounds like a nice place, never been there but Colorado sounds like a nice place to live. I've grown attached to New England though. When are you leaving?

I used to be a student also, went to RIC. Took a semester off and now I'm not sure if I want to go back yet... Not sure what I want to go back to do! I'm happy just working full time now.

yupyup1128
05-02-05, 12:06 PM
yess i am ,,,, like aug. 30th or something like that.. its wicked beautiful there ... but no coast!! ahh so no more college huh if you dont mind me askin,, where do u work

lotsofconfusion
05-06-05, 04:26 AM
I work in a small nursing home tucked way back in the woods of coventry... ever heard of Alpine? Most haven't. What do you do?
It would be ridiculous to go back to school now, I've taken all the gen ed courses so anything else would just be a waste of money if I don't have a definate major anymore....

primroseburrows
05-18-05, 10:57 AM
Hi! I live in E. Greenwich (right now, anyway. I've lived in Jamestown, N.Kingstown, Narragansett and Block Island. And that's only in RI! :)).

I've got four kids--22, 20, 18, and almost 16. My 20-year old son has ADD, and I do also. We've been untreated thus far (my son isn't treated either, but manages to cope with college fairly well). I've been researching various treatments and am interested in what other people in my state (and everywhere) have to say.

Nice to meet you!

LoveMyGirls
06-17-05, 11:30 PM
Hi, sheesh, guess it's been a while since I've visited. Don't know if you still visit here, but figured I'd respond anyway (better late than never).

I went to the March 2 CHADD meeting. Did you end up going? Rosie Granoff is the best in the state. She evaluated by daughter.

Maureen

LoveMyGirls
06-17-05, 11:37 PM
I work in a small nursing home tucked way back in the woods of coventry... ever heard of Alpine? ...
I have!!! My grandmother lived there for a few years and we would visit her on the weekends! She died in April of '92. That was when it was called Alpine Rest Home. I've heard it now has a nursing home section. My parents were friends with the owners.

Do you still work there?

I live in Coventry.

Maureen

lotsofconfusion
08-18-05, 02:38 AM
Hi! Sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't had much time to get online lately.
Yes, I still work at Alpine. Been there for a year next month. They have added a new hallway to the building, there are now two hallways and about 60 residents. I'm not sure when they added on but it is still called the "new hallway" and the building is called Alpine Nursing Home now. I bet some of the current residents may have known your grandmother...
I live in Coventry too....

Paws13
11-02-05, 10:50 PM
Hello fellow Rhodies! :)

It's nice to know there are more Rhode Islanders; I'm not alone!!! Specificly, I live in North Smithfield. Anyone else from that town?

Paws13
12-20-06, 04:44 PM
This is a roll call for members living in Rhode Island. Please give a brief intro.

Name
Shall we?

Paws (okay it's Sarah...... but Paws is my nickname), I live in Woonsocket, and I have ADD, although I'm not on any meds.

Paws13
01-02-07, 05:17 PM
Is there anyone still from Rhode Island? Out of curiosity?

lotsofconfusion
01-08-07, 07:12 PM
Hi there Paws! I'm still here, although I havent been here in awhile.... Currently I'm not on any meds either. I used to be on Adderall but I stopped several months ago. Have you ever been on anything?

Paws13
01-10-07, 06:44 PM
Hi there Paws! I'm still here, although I havent been here in awhile.... Currently I'm not on any meds either. I used to be on Adderall but I stopped several months ago. Have you ever been on anything?
I used to be on adderal, but then I had bad side effects... not sure if I'm all that excited about meds again, lol.

lotsofconfusion
01-15-07, 11:09 PM
I used to be on adderal, but then I had bad side effects... not sure if I'm all that excited about meds again, lol.
I hear that. the adderal was fine in the begining, but after awhile, the side effects seemed to kick in. It wasn't fun at all! I am planning on going back to school again soon though, and think that some kind of med might be helpfull although I'm not sure that I want to go through all that again. :(

DaveRhodeIsland
02-03-07, 08:42 PM
Shall we?

Paws (okay it's Sarah...... but Paws is my nickname), I live in Woonsocket, and I have ADD, although I'm not on any meds.Hi guys,

I'm Dave and I'm a 42 year old father of a 10 year old boy who is ADD and has anxiety issues. Nice to meet you all. Oh, and I'm in Wakefield.

Paws13
02-04-07, 02:18 PM
Hi Dave, nice to see some more RIers here :D

maisie12
02-04-07, 10:00 PM
Hi, I'm in Providence. Moved here for grad school, which I finished in May. I'm staying through the summer to teach and then am moving, probablyback to NYC. I'm on Adderall, but supposed to be starting Wellbutrin soon. My doc wants me to take theem together, but I'm not sure. I may stop the Adderall for a couple of weeks till I see how the Wellbutrin is going.

k31kozumi
10-01-09, 02:25 AM
anyone here anymore??/

fasetdi2000
10-18-09, 12:09 AM
Jeremy
Diagnosed 1992 Treated til 2004
Receving treatment as of 10/2009
22 years old, single, in school.
Glocester, RI

k31kozumi
06-23-10, 01:57 PM
just checking in.....
im about to start my nursing clinicals hopefully:cool: in september at ccri.
are you guys still around? i recall one of you working at alpine in coventry. my mom used to work there (an rn)
i'm a cna doing home care while in school.
have 3 crazy cats.
living in providence:D