View Full Version : Roll Call - United Kingdom Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 07:13 PM
This is a roll call for members living in the United Kingdom . Please give a brief intro.

Name

SabbathCat
12-26-03, 05:37 PM
:D!

First post.

Name : John

RelationShip? - Is / Has it?

irish_lady4
12-26-03, 07:17 PM
hi

Lynne

N.ireland

myself and some of my kids have adhd

irish_lady4

BigDaddy
01-05-04, 04:58 AM
Name: Adam
Nationality: Ferverently Welsh
Relationship: Have ADHD, ODD and Aspergers Syndrome

BigDaddy

rayann
01-07-04, 07:11 PM
south londoner with adhd 4 kids 3 with adhd 1 on meds and an agoraphobic hubby :D

clawless
06-07-04, 10:08 AM
HI ALL
MY NAMES CARMEL
I LIVE IN COVENTRY (SOMEBOBY HAS TO TO GREET ALL THE OTHERS WHO ARE SENT HERE)
I HAVE TWO BOYS 3 AN 7 ONE OF WHICH HAS ADHD/DAMP
LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING TO YOU ALL

dreamer
07-04-04, 04:36 PM
hiya!
im allie, mum of three. mattie is 8 with adhd, caitlin is 3 and no signs to worry about as yet, joe is 1 and wouldnt be surprised if adhd but too young to tell yet!lol

live in west sussex ...and i think thats it!lol

elainewillerton
08-17-04, 09:38 AM
hi,
i'm elaine, live in east yorkshire,have ts,have half-dozen kids-some have ts, some a bit hyper,hubby is dyslexic.my father has ts & my younger brother,sister has restless legs.think thats all.bye

Earthgirl
08-19-04, 05:43 AM
Hi,

I introduced myself on the main board a couple of days ago - but thought I would say hi here too. My name's Su, I'm 31 and living in London (originally from Yorkshire). I have suspected that I've had ADD for several months now, but was diagnosed just over a week ago.

After years of feeling like a failure, this has been a breakthrough for me.

Hello to everyone!

Su

Gemini
08-20-04, 07:44 AM
Hi, I'm in the North East of the UK , have a son diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers syndrome, its been a battle but diagnosis and services seem to be improving. Look forward to getting to know you all :)

lotty
11-29-04, 02:56 PM
Hi my names charlotte,

I live in wiltshire and have diagnosed adhd and i also have 2 kids who also have diagnosed adhd we all take ritalin and our lives are so much better now. one of my kids is dyslexic too. Other members of my surrounding family have adhd or add or dyslexia too i think theres about 7 of us with these conditions. Look forward to using this forum.

Lotty

Toby
11-29-04, 03:47 PM
Oh yeah, i'm here too :D

wendybonsey
01-06-05, 02:29 PM
hi i am wendy
i live in montrose scotland
i have 2 boys 11yr old with ADHD and the 7 yr old who is worse than the 11 yr old but for some reason wont diagnose yet

TonyTheTiger
01-11-05, 01:29 AM
Hi

26 years old, living in London UK. Into photography and music. My long intro is here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

GeegaHoH
01-11-05, 05:49 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope im doing this right!! my name is Annette and i have an 11 year old son who i think, he hasnt been diagnosed yet, has ADD. We are at present waiting for his referral to go through. I live in Somerset with my son and female partner.

Im looking forward to getting to know you all and ,hopefully, gaining advice on how to help my son!!

mary e mills
01-14-05, 06:55 PM
hi i'm mary
I live in oxford.
I was diagnosed three years ago after my elder brother. I'm also dyslexic and I'm 51 years old, trying to make the most of my new life.

Mogden
01-21-05, 08:47 AM
Hi I'm Kati. I'm 29 and live in the East Midlands and I suspect I & my fiance have ADD/ADHD which makes for a v messy house!

bubblegalvi
01-22-05, 08:57 AM
hi i am 40 year old married mom of 5 boys my 16 year old has 3 different types od autism my 11 year old has autism and adhd and my 4 year old is being assessed for adhd next week 30th jan 2005 shane is currently on strattera and melatonin after we took him off ritalin and didnt want him on dexedrine concerta caused extreme weight loss he is in mainstream school with a one to one intedration assisstant who stays with him all day every day and he does have a statement of education if i can help any one then i will try so byeeeee for now

newage
01-23-05, 03:26 PM
Hi, I'm john, and after 39 years of a troubled....but interesting life have finally given in to the fact that they missed my ADD/ADHD when I was younger. Finding help at last.

MrDog
02-07-05, 07:06 PM
Hi All,

I'm Chris, 30 from Yorkshire. Was diagnosed about 5 years ago.

thebluenile
02-25-05, 08:42 PM
Hi There, my name's Paul, I'm 34 and in Lancashire, I've had a strong suspicion I have ADD since I started reading up on it around 1996, so far, due to the amount of ignorant psychiatrists around in this country I haven't managed to get diagnosed with anything other than Anxiety/depression.

Tufftat
03-08-05, 04:13 AM
hi everyone,
my names pete, 37, male, married (same woman twice :cool: )
have 3 children, aged , 13 , 10, and 10months,
live in the south west of UK, been diagnosed bout 2/3 months.

just wanted to say hi,

Sugarbossbabe
03-20-05, 02:14 PM
Hi my name is Melanie,I live in Scotland and my 9 year old son was diagnosed in November with ADHD,he was put on Strattera 8 weeks ago but so far we havent seen any difference.

mary e mills
04-01-05, 07:03 PM
hi, i'm' mary.
52 married to non-add husband. i have two grown-up children, one grandchild who lives with us with mum.
i'm on concerta(54mg) at the moment,
i live in Oxford. am interesteding in spiritual side of life.

miss_nutty
04-03-05, 04:22 PM
:D hi all
my names donna im a 30 year old mother of 2 lill erm angels :rolleyes:
one none adder aged 11 girl ....... my adder boy aged 9
we live in wiltshire (down south lol)
erm not to sure what to say so i guess that will do for now
the site looks good best i think i found so far :D
cyas donna xxx

skylark0099
06-21-05, 07:25 AM
name nathan
age 29
sex male
loc kent
adhd since childhood no diag no meds

help im going mad

randomways
06-29-05, 11:58 PM
Name: gryff (tis welsh :)
Relationship to AD/HD: have ADD and dyslexicer
love the fact that uker have there own section :)

jimmib
07-07-05, 03:16 AM
Hi I live in the North of Scotland and I'm 42 and have been recently diagnosed with ADHD something I have known I had for the last year or so, now I am diagnosed nothing seems to be happening, no help or disscusions on medication.

Jammy
07-28-05, 10:06 AM
Hiya, my name's Amelia.
I'm 18 and from South East London.
For more information please go to www.myspace.com/jammyq (http://www.myspace.com/jammyq) I don't have the patience to write much else right now, lol.

karennerak
08-22-05, 09:30 PM
Hiya!...

I'm Karen, 41 years of age and I've just been Diagnosed with ADHD at long last!
I have 5 children, 3 of them have been diagnosed with ADHD and Conducts Disorder.. and Thankfully, We're all on Med's.

My 'now' ex-Husband couldn't handle the kids and up and left...
We are now divorced and he has no contact with the Children... and sadly, i don't get any respite!

I'm really Looking forward to getting to know some new people here and making friends, with people, that know, what it feels like to have ADHD.

Keep Smiling.. Karen :)

Fidge
10-28-05, 06:45 AM
hi, emma
i'm 18
adhd since childhood, no meds at the mo, and work is suffering cos of it!!!!

TGL McSpeed V2
10-28-05, 03:08 PM
Hi, Daley (blame my brother 4 that name :D)
i'm 15 & 41 days
ADHD all my life.. i'm on Concerta XL 36mg (its a class A Drug...on prescription) & I've got the Mild form of Autism
i'm in a skool that deals with Autisic children from Nursey to 6th form

Steven
03-13-06, 12:13 PM
Steven, 31, living under the cloud of ADD all my life and sort of messed up because of it. Still managed to do lots with my life though and have some great experiences (which I suppose I sort of owe to add and the person it has made me)

Dont take any official medications (i have my own blend that does me fine thanks!) and I basically try to get through life on my own :)

jess
03-13-06, 03:34 PM
hi jess
age......whatever ok thhhhhhhhhhhirrtyy ffffffffff
a teenager in my head !
36 mg concerta 2 x daily 10 mg ritalin 2x daily
adhd nice to see some ukers wheres the party ?

Steven
03-14-06, 01:02 PM
Lol yeah we should organise some kind of UK party, though most of us will forget to turn up :D (http://www.rustyjoystick.com/forum/images/smiles/laugh.gif)

jess
03-14-06, 01:17 PM
not a chance i would never miss a party . wellll........................??

Steven
03-14-06, 01:22 PM
lol im always up for a party - who else is up for it? :D

Naomi2
03-14-06, 01:40 PM
Naomi
Pretty sure I have ADD (inattentive only type) - no diagnosis - going mad because of it.
(also Chronic Motor Tic Disorder with mental tics and compulsions)

I am going mad. I need help. I am not getting help.

Bye for now.

janjan
04-04-06, 02:42 PM
Hi there, I have a 7yr old son who is adhd we live in the highlands with my hubby and patterdale terrier Barney (who I reckon is adhd too!!) Taken years to get toa diagnosis and there's not much support where I live so was glad to find a forum for this:D

xstarchildx
04-26-06, 07:05 AM
hi i'm jo from manchester u.k, just recently been diagnosed as adhd
i'm 32 yrs young (lol) i have 3 children eldest who is 13yrs old also has adhd, i also have a 11yr old and a 5 yr old. nice to meet you all :)

nerd8192
05-05-06, 01:53 PM
Seth, 25/m

Living in Plymouth originally from Southampton. Currently doing a foundation year at the University of Plymouth in Computing

DX'd ADHD/Asperger Syndrome/Dyspraxia.

mashi
07-15-06, 06:51 PM
Hi guys, just posted my intro thread which is here (click) (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30766)

Look forward to talking with you.

edit: 23/m/slough (lol), adult ADD

Ariadne
07-16-06, 02:50 PM
Hi

I've recently moved to Glasgow from London. I've posted a fuller introduction here. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=314208#post314208)

dormammau2008
07-18-06, 06:53 PM
uk birmigham >>.but live just outer there l,))) dorm

amazing_lobster
08-21-06, 08:17 AM
Joe 26, Bangor in North Wales. Studying Psychology with Clinical and Health Psychology, with hopes to become a chartered clinical psychologist.

funkymonkey
09-15-06, 07:54 AM
Debbie
Aged 26
Currently living in Oxford
Worked at an ADHD camp in America because I wanted to learn more
Always felt "different" - disorganised, scatty, impulsive
Looking into it at the mo - not sure either way.
Thinking about seeing a Dr to at least ask...
Not holding out much hope for help from them though!

tiggy100
09-21-06, 04:53 PM
This is my first message as I've only just realised that there is a UK forum. I've no idea how to use this but thought I'd stop thinking about doing it and just do it!! I'm 43 and was diagnosed last year with ADD at the Maudsley in London. Only trouble is, it took me months to make an appointment with my doctor to discuss meds, then another 6 weeks to actually take them (story of my life). I think ADD/ADHD runs in my family and I could definately trace it back to my grandmother and my father, plus my 2 brothers (although none of them were ever diagnosed). I have 4 kids and 1 of them is diagnosed, although I suspect one of my older boys missed out. I'm at uni and have struggled and muddled through 3 years and am going back for a year to complete work I've got behind on. It has been one hell of a struggle..........my life has been such a struggle. Concerta is helping but I'm still trying to find the right dose etc. Anyone else taking concerta?

xstarchildx
09-24-06, 05:32 PM
Hi tiggy100, welcome to the forum, they are a good lot in here and they do help, they,ve helped me alot, i know it's a big forum but just bear with it, if you get lost i click on my username and read where i put my last posts lol good luck ;)

munky_do
09-25-06, 02:16 PM
Helloo..

My name is Michelle, I'm 21 years old, living in York.
I'm from Canada but am living with my non-ADD boyfriend here
I was diagnosed with ADD (hyperactive/inattentive combo type) when I was 17
Am currently taking Dexedrine
working full-time as an administrative assistant (which I'm definitely not suited for, I'm only in it for the money at this point, thank god for medication)
I was in an animation program but found I was too restless (it involves heavy hours) and I figured I should see a bit of the world first and have some fun so I'll be ready to focus on school again when I move back to Canada with my boyfriend.

I'm a classic scatterbrain, especially off the meds... one minute I'm drifting off into space, the next I'm dancing like a maniac, and then I'll spend two hours on a drawing or listening to music, playing piano.
I come off as really shy and probably a little awkward, easygoing...but really I'm passionate about so many things, but I have to really trust and have gotten to really talk to a person before I let any of that out. I have to watch out off the meds that I don't blurt things out though.

Just want to be able to count on myself and have clarity of mind to pursue the things I love and become really good at them... I can hyperfocus for a few days or so but I envy people that can stick it out for months and months and at the same time keep all the little details in check.

I am extremely jealous of:
People who always have clean laundry
People who always manage to look impeccably groomed.
People who can party hard yet still have an easy time with school.
People who make friends easily.
People with beautiful houses rooms that manage to keep theirs clean.
and finally, people who always manage to say the right things..:faint:

well that's me, I try not to ramble but being a typist it's easy to let your fingers do your thinking!

Tarajames
09-25-06, 07:05 PM
Hi,
My name is Tara, living in Belfast. Suspect my 4 year old son has ADHD, would have to wait till next spring to be seen on NHS, so going private and he ahs first appointment this Wed 27/09/06.

Qtip
09-28-06, 08:00 PM
I'm from Glasgow, only recently realised I had adhd after years of psychiatrists and nonsense.
I feel empowered now that I know, and don't feel like such a freak of nature around normal people anymore.

I'm still waiting for the official dx, but frankly couldnt give a toss as I'm not interested in whatever drugs they try and push on me, had enough of their crap over the years to last me a lifetime.

Currently I'm applying for jobs, and taking a somewhat sick pleasure in ticking the box for the disability act, meaning I get an interview as long as I meet minimum qualification requirements.
No idea what I'm going to do if I actually get a job, I can barely make it out of bed most days and buses continue to be the bane of my life but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

xstarchildx
10-01-06, 04:23 PM
Hi munky do, welcome to the forum from me:), i hear ya......I am extremely jealous of:
People who always have clean laundry
People who always manage to look impeccably groomed.
People who can party hard yet still have an easy time with school.
People who make friends easily.
People with beautiful houses rooms that manage to keep theirs clean.
and finally, people who always manage to say the right things..

I feel the same:(

Hi tara, also welcome to the forums good luck with your appointment!!

ryansmom
01-23-07, 09:10 AM
hi my names lynne and i live in nottingham

Tarajames
02-08-07, 02:18 PM
Hi,
My name is Tara, living in Belfast, Northern Ireland , and I have a son who turned 5 last November and was diagnosed at around the same time.

xstarchildx
02-08-07, 05:51 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/kzrainbow/XSTARCHILDX_WELCOME.png

Welcome to ADDF! Tarajames :)

kilted_scotsman
03-04-07, 10:17 AM
Hi Folks

I'm kilted, mid 40's living in the Central Belt of Scotland. Awaiting referral, but after doing the research I'm fairly certain it'll be positive......I tick so many of the boxes.....and my partner is quite relieved that there's something we can put our finger on to try to sort out why I'm not able to function normally in some situations yet can achieve so much in others.

As I've said in other posts I've self medicated with alcohol since well before it was legal, I've screwed up jobs without number, have friends who respect me for who I am, and I feel very sick at the end of the month when the bank statement arrives.

nannyogg
03-05-07, 03:19 AM
Hi my name is Vicky, I live in East Devon, where everyone retires to!

I am 38 (today), have 4 kids, 1 girl and 3 boys, eldest (the girl) - dyslexic, dyspraxic, dyscalculic I think the youngest (5) is adhd.

My brother is dyslexic and I was clumsy and never fitted in at school, still don't find making friends easy don't seem to have the normal social skills.

Got a great job as a TA in a primary school, great fun, so interest in this site professional as well as in personal.:)

columbo
03-14-07, 02:50 PM
Name: Daniel
Married?: To a very patient and lovely wife called ZoŽ
Occupation: Currently signed off due to ADHD. I trained to be a Church Pastor. Am also mid-way through a postgraduate course. I hope to resume study as soon as I'm able.
Diagnosed: Sept 2005, aged 28
Subtype: Inattentive
Time it took to get a diagnosis: Over 1 year from first mentioning ADHD to the doctor
Medication: Concerta
Is medication helping?: A bit. It helps me to think and speak more fluently. Still chronically late for everything though and still suffer from anxiety and hyperfocus. Would like ADHD coaching though.

I am interested in hearing from anybody who has had CBT of ADHD coaching funding through the NHS. Please PM me if this applies to you.

Cheers

Columbo

Alba
06-04-07, 01:43 AM
Hello, I'm Lorraine, living in Peterborough, but born and "half" raised in Scotland.

I haven't been diagnosed (made appointment, but forgot it):o My son has ADHD, and I now believe that I have it, after reading tons and tons about the disorder, and my son's shrink asking him if his mother had ever been diagnosed with it. :p

darkangel6976
07-03-07, 01:27 PM
Hi

I'm: darkangel6976

My 8 yr old son has confirmed ADHD

I'm married and due to give birth to our daughter in 2 weeks! My son is struggling to come to terms with the arrival of his baby sister as he has spent nearly 9 years being an only child.

I knew my son had ADHD from him being about 10 months old, his half siblings have ADD/ADHD too. Took me about 4 years to get someone to take notice after I shouted and screamed (hyperthetically of course!).....I got hold of the psychiatrists number and pleaded with him to put my son on his waiting list-gentle persuasion worked.
The psychiatrist knew my son had it from the moment we started to have our monthly meetings when my son was 4 but it was confirmed when my son was 6 years old.

Tried various medications and my son is now on Equasym, Equasym XL and Methalphenidate.

:)

bluecow
08-30-07, 05:04 AM
Hi I am 34 mum with 15yold daughter, 2yold and 4yold sons both very full on boys. :faint:
We live in Hereford. Where apparently I am the first adult diagnozed with ADD I was told yesterday by the senior partner at my practise. I don't know wether to
be chuffed or not really.:eyebrow:
I have adhd combined type, I have only been diagnozed quite recently after a life of struggling.
I have been on concerta xl which made me tired and wouldn't go through my gastric band. I am now on Equasym.

Its a funny old time starting meds after a life lived in chaos. Well the first 35 years anyhow. I am a bit up and down at the moment.

Anyway HHi to all you UK adhd peeps

Can'tregister
09-08-07, 05:35 AM
Hi all , I'm Eddy age 43 living in Hereford also .

I am undiagnosed currently but half way through a referral to the Maudsley hopefully sometime early next spring .

To complicate matters my current diagnosis is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which worsens significantly in winter however it improved markedly when I started to spend at least 3 or 4 weeks around christmas in sunny climates
such as India or Egypt .This then allowed me to focus on problems prior to CFS and inattentive ADD seemed to explain my experiences since chidhood as well as why I don't use the little energy I have now very constructively .

I am currently taking Reboxetine which like Strattera is an NRI and seems to partly help with concentration and memory and maybe now lessening the lethargy . Its certainly better than the prozac which I took for donkey years and which made me apathetic .

Cheers Eddy

Er Indoors
11-10-07, 12:45 PM
Hi it's me..Andrea otherwise known as er indoors
From Yorkshire
Self diagnosed as doctors don't seem to like the term ADD!
Please say hi as I would like to chat with people with similar probs

TTFN

mirkle
11-25-07, 03:47 PM
Hi - my names Mark, I live in East London and I've just joined. I've been obsessed with this ADD thing now for about a week -which is when I first came across the Amen site and cried when I did the test and then read the list of what people with ADD tend to be. I've always insisted that I am different - and always been told that I just needed a bit more will power. I keep reading stuff about ADD and keep finding explanations for all sorts of things. I think I probably manage pretty well, but I hate the forgetting things at work which impact hugely on my self esteem. Also, although I'm 48, Ive never managed to live in a home which doesnt look as if I'm 17 and sharing a flat with three other students. My best friend recently cut off from me completely because he said I kept doing wilfully hurtful things - he is a perfectionist, and couldnt bear me forgetting he had told me something. The worst thing in my life has been my history of relationships. So I am going to try and get a referral and see if I can deal with some of this - I'd be delighted if someone could point me in the direction of a good ADD coach. I'm going to the ADDISS centre tomorrow to see if they can help with this.

-MiZ-
12-04-07, 07:40 PM
hi all

im a 34 yr old male, self diagnoised and trying unsucsefully to get it regconised

my lifes a mess at the mo at best, though at least i have a answer to why

currently pescribed my third anti depresant Reboxetine 6mg as off today though if these dosnt work in 3 weeks the shrink says he will try ritalin, a breakthrough i guess just that i feel that he dosnt have enough understanding of adhd to be a help to me

if anyone knows a good doctor or phychiatrist in somerset id love to hear from you

thx
Sam

twinkletoes
12-24-07, 03:17 PM
Hiya, I'm Nicola, I live with my partner Andy and 4 wonderful children in Lancashire, England. My son is 7 and has had his diagnosis for ADHD for 2 years!

kingsley002000
02-09-08, 02:00 AM
hellooo springfield!!! (dont ask me why i wrote that... just had that urge). glad to see i can come to a place where i dont have to pretend to be normal so people wont think i'm wierd. anyway my name is king from east london and i've got inattentive adhd with all th trimmings. peace

darkangel6976
02-15-08, 12:03 PM
hello all
I'm rachel
From East Yorkshire
Have a 9 yr old with ADHD, ODD (don't know a great deal about that one) and Tics-physical and verbal.

Drop by and say hi as it's always good to here from someone in the know and in the uk.
cheerio for now.

yupp danners
02-20-08, 01:32 PM
I am a 50 yr old bloke. I was diagnosed before Christmas by a specialist. I have ADHD.
A bit of a shock which I am still getting over.
I have had a successful career so far despite my condition, but guess what? I don't feel I have achieved much and am frustrated by missed opportunities etc.
Haven't said a word to friends.
Hello.

Miss_E
03-18-08, 08:05 PM
Hi, I'm Ellen,

26 years old and live between London / Wiltshire and work for a fashion magazine. Waiting to get a referral to a specialist but am 100% certain I have ADHD. Started looking into it online and it was like a thunderbolt when comparing the symptoms to what I suffer in my life; the constant chatter in my head, inability to concentrate, eternal procrastinating, severe impulse control problems... I could go on for hours!

Anyway, I feel more relief than upset - I have felt like a failure for so long because of my 'laziness' and lack of motivation in so many aspects of my life. It's wonderful to find a community where I don't feel abnormal for the things I
suffer daily. E x

Zuzu
03-20-08, 08:43 PM
Hi
I'm Jennifer, 45 years old, diagnosed last Wednesday with AD/HD by a wonderful psychiatrist who specializes in adult Ad/HD. I have been prescribed Ritalin and will be seeing an AD/HD coach. My doctor has been wonderful and really supportive. I haven't started my Ritalin yet, I am just waiting for my prescription which my doctor has informed me I can have on the NHS, although I had to pay privately to see the psychiatrist, but it wasn't too expensive. Anyway, thats my story so far.
Jennifer

skatty
03-27-08, 03:43 AM
HELLO!

My name's ALAN- I'm 28.

Live in Wiltshire- I've recently been diagnosed with ADD. I'm hopefully gonna get some medication soon to sort it out BECAUSE I'm finally gonna go to university iin September- God knows I've tried to get there before!!!

xstarchildx
03-27-08, 04:40 AM
Pleased to meet you Alan good luck with uni :)

Destracted_UK
03-27-08, 07:27 AM
Hiya

I'm 34 year old living on the south coast.

I got diagnosed a few months ago after a long slog with funding/waiting etc

Anyway, got adhd inattentive type.

Just started medication and my adhd is lots better but the side effects might mean I have to stop this type.

Had a lifetime of mess and chaos and trouble and yeh, all a bit of a waste.

However it's nice to finally get a proper reason for it and I will try and change my game to incorparate it's effects and have a less hectic lifestyle..

: )

Mouseinthehouse
04-28-08, 06:43 PM
Hi
My name is Nic and I live in Berkshire, England.

Inattentive! Diagnosed last year.
In my forties, heading for 50 but still feel about 15 most days...

Not sure what else to write, except glad I have found this forum.

Nic

Destracted_UK
04-28-08, 07:38 PM
Hi
<snip>
but still feel about 15 most days...

Nic

Hehe, I can totally related to that, I just made it to 35 years and feel about 15 most of the time aswell.

All the best : )

xstarchildx
04-30-08, 06:17 PM
I 3rd that

Penny2007
05-22-08, 03:26 PM
Me...

Name: penny
Married?: nope, live with BF
Diagnosed: last month (april 08)
Time it took to get a diagnosis: 10 months from BF suggesting it to me
Medication: Concerta- starting next week
Is medication helping?: dunno yet- will report back next week :)

jdreaper
06-10-08, 07:12 AM
HI Y'all! (calm down just sounds american)

IM Jay
29 (dunno how that happend)
I am from w-s-m
Married 9yrs
got 2 sprogs
recently diagnosed
started 18mg concerta xl a week ago didnt notice any improvements, just been upped to 36mg from today, cant say i see any benifits from it yet at all, starting to feel realy disheartend, wasnt expecting a miracle but was at least expecting to get some kind of improvement as an indication of its benifit to myself, but hey!
Took about 1yr from realisinng that i may have adhd to getting diag (was theese forums that made me think that it was adhd that was wrong with me as well as a friend sugesting that i may have it, which got me browsing the net to find out what adhd is and found this place! i am sooo thankful)
im inattentive and repulsive (i think thats what the doc said?)

take care fellow Brits!

columbo
06-10-08, 08:51 AM
HI Y'all! (calm down just sounds american)

IM Jay
29 (dunno how that happend)
I am from w-s-m
Married 9yrs
got 2 sprogs
recently diagnosed
started 18mg concerta xl a week ago didnt notice any improvements, just been upped to 36mg from today, cant say i see any benifits from it yet at all, starting to feel realy disheartend, wasnt expecting a miracle but was at least expecting to get some kind of improvement as an indication of its benifit to myself, but hey!
Took about 1yr from realisinng that i may have adhd to getting diag (was theese forums that made me think that it was adhd that was wrong with me as well as a friend sugesting that i may have it, which got me browsing the net to find out what adhd is and found this place! i am sooo thankful)
im inattentive and repulsive (i think thats what the doc said?)

take care fellow Brits!

Welcome! Good to hear you are getting treatment. Personally, I found Concerta didn't help me a great deal either, but Dexedrine did. Dex is often better for inattentive ADHD, and some docs try that first with adults. Everybody's different, so you might just need to take some time to find the right one for you. It also helps having a flexible GP who listens.

Hope it all works out in the end.

Cheers.

jdreaper
06-10-08, 09:16 AM
Welcome! Good to hear you are getting treatment. Personally, I found Concerta didn't help me a great deal either, but Dexedrine did. Dex is often better for inattentive ADHD, and some docs try that first with adults. Everybody's different, so you might just need to take some time to find the right one for you. It also helps having a flexible GP who listens.

Hope it all works out in the end.

Cheers.

gotta keep it short as im Using my mobile and it times out often, im now being seen regularly at a clinic and they are now gonna help me all the way so i should get there eventually! Its 20 miles away but i will be going 4weekly so not to bad and i phoned them monday thats when they told me to double the dose and to come up in a week to get new script as now i will run out early, just all means that i gotta wait longer to get on the correct dose or med, im just very impatient to start getting my life in some kind of order! Thanks for the advise i appreciate it greatly!

Curlofsmoke
06-13-08, 08:40 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm Sara, 27, ADD inattentive, in Bath. I think I'm going to post in the general forum about my struggles with getting treatment.

planetdave
07-03-08, 02:15 PM
Hello - I'm known all over the place as 'planetdave' and I live in a suburb of Manchester.
I have 'combined' ADHD but am mainly inattentive.
Diagnosed by Dr Hosking (RIP, lovely man) in Sheffield in 2006 and fighting a long battle to have my meds and other treatment sorted out since the demise of the good doc. Yesterday I got funding that will take me to SLAM, which I'm all excited about.
I'm knocking on a bit (shy about my age) - suffice to say that when I was a child ADHD did not exist so I went through life thinking I was 'borderline' till someone found me on another forum creating havoc and broached the subject of ADHD. I did a lot of research (with assistance from my friend), did some online tests and started the long and rocky road to get a diagnosis. That was five years and a lot of heartache/battles ago.
Now trying to create a new life.

jdreaper
07-09-08, 05:48 AM
Hi planetdave! I Just wanna wish you Good luck with it all!, age aint nothing but a number and nothing seems truer 4 us with adhd, most of us feel the same as we did when were 17ish, ive never seen a forum where the whole age range of its members have so much in common mentaly and emotionaly with each other and relate to each other so much, ive not seen any young adults on here being disrespectfull to elders like the kids that are everywhere else!

jdreaper
07-09-08, 06:25 AM
PlanetDave! I found what you said about you causing havoc on forums very amusing especially as i as thinking to myself a hr ago or so about that this is the only forum that i have fitted into and have not argued with anyone! Then the thought entered my head that maybe we are all like that elsewheres on other site forums! But i blame them so called normies that we battled there because of there 2d opinions and narrow minded views, as we adders have proof here within theese forums, proof of which we can be proud of, proof that we can all get along with others and can have a mutual respect for each other regardless of any differences!... Or something like that! Can remember exact thoughts! But hey!

querkychick
09-02-08, 06:00 PM
Hey All
I am 34 and have ADD. I have two sons 6 and 4 and the 6 year ols has ADHD. I live in Norfolk. Anyone from around there???? Does not seem to be any help at all!!!

Andrea x

Mantis
09-04-08, 11:11 AM
Hey,
I'm 23 and got diagnosed with ADHD a few weeks ago : )

nomADD
09-13-08, 08:08 PM
I'm 41 and not yet diagnosed. I suspect I have Inattentive ADHD with a sleep disorder. I've started the whole process of getting a diagnosis through the NHS.

Lots of missed opportunities, academic and career failure, really bad finances, lifelong underachievement, despite being very bright and capable, due to low motivation and chronic disorganization presumably associated with my condition.

Just want to find a way of managing my condition so that I can finally get on with my life and live up to my potential!

dreamdweller
09-13-08, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I am 34, live in London. Posted my longer intro yesterday on the general intro page: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57136
In the process of being diagnosed at Maudsley.
Looking forward to learning more from you all.

CultOfByron
09-19-08, 07:51 AM
Just found this thread and the whole UK section so hello! :waves:

Me:Name: Brian
Married?: Live with my girlfriend
Diagnosed: In process of, suspect I have ADD

Just got a letter from my local NHS hospital saying I could get my first appointment in 12-16 months...! Am considering private although don't know if this'll be much better, or if I can afford it, lol.

ArtfulDodger
09-19-08, 04:34 PM
I'm new-ish but keep forgetting to introduce myself here... hello! I'm James, 27, currently living in Lancashire, but looking to move elsewhere soon (where, I have no idea - wherever I can find a job that suits me best :)).

I'm undiagnosed as yet as I only discovered what ADD was a week or two ago... but instantly knew that was me (inattentive). It gave me a huge emotional reaction, and I'm still kind of in the "stunned and confused" and trying to find out everything I can stage, and overwhelmed to discover a forum full of people with such similar experiences. Glad to be here.

Byron, you should be able to find info about private practitioners from poking about this forum - I have seen people mention prices for appointments ranging from about £350 to about £750. I will probably go private myself as my previous experiences with the NHS have not inspired my confidence. :eek:

Project 2501
10-27-08, 11:30 AM
Hi Everyone

I have been lurking on these forums for what must be around 6 months, but have never quite got it together enough to actually start participating until now. I'm a 24 year old "man" from the UK who seemingly didn't develop past the age of 10. I had always wondered if there was some kind of medical condition that made you somehow chronically lazy, clumsy, inefficient, unable to get to sleep at night or get up in the morning and rendered you constitutionally incapable of functioning socially or holding down a job.

Turns out that actually there is.

I have been able to scrape along so far purely on my innate intelligence that unfortunately seems to flicker on and off erratically like a fluorescent strip light on the verge of death. I was only really able to succeed at two things in life, exams (when I bothered to prepare) and videogames. I got through school with a very good set of results by anybody's standards, and somehow managed to see my uni degree to the end despite it taking five years, (due to it taking four years to complete an honours degree in my part of the world, and the fact that I failed my first year). This was in spite of the sheer utter rubbishness of the course I did (computing) and the less than reputable institution I chose to go to (hey, we don't make the greatest decisions when we're 16). I saw it through to the end despite crawling on my hands and knees the entire time and almost breaking down completely on several occasions, including a meltdown at the end which nearly rendered 5 years of work meaningless. I guess I should give myself credit for that, but every disaster or near disaster seems to take another chunk out of my self esteem and very low coping reserves. It had got to the point now where I simply was not going to be able to continue as I was. I just dissolved completely on contact with ugly reality. Any situation that required any degree of sustained concentration, organization, persistence, prioritization or timekeeping, ie just about any kind of job, seemed beyond me. Worst still, I would shut down completely under the slightest stress making many everyday life situations impossible to deal with.

The past 2 years since graduating have been an utter nightmare of failed jobs and periods of depression that have incapacitated me for months at a time while my family just stood by and did absolutely nothing to try and understand and help the situation (my family is a grim comedy in and of itself, but that is a different post and time). After being chewed up and spat out six months ago from a job at a large IT company, it was clear I was in need of some very serious help.

I live in the north east of Scotland in the UK which I am sure some of you are aware has never had the greatest record in the recognition and adequate treatment of ADD/ADHD in adults. You could at least say that we do have a "mostly" free public healthcare system unlike the US, but that isn't much consolation when you consider the hoops it looked like I would have to jump through to get my condition diagnosed and treated so that I could finally function in the wider world and do the basic things that "the rest of us" take for granted. Fortunately, thanks to a considerable amount of research on my part and a good deal of luck, I have found someone in my local NHS service who is willing to take my condition seriously. Last week, I was diagnosed and written my first prescription for methylphenidate (Equasym).

The psychiatrist who consulted with me says that it is a low starting dose (10mg 3 times daily) to test the waters in terms of my response to the medication before titrating my dose upwards and maybe switching a a slow release preparation (most likely Concerta). he explained that I should not be surprised or disappointed if I didn't feel any different on my current dosage. So far I have had a subtle lift and some minor side effects (nervousness and slight headache) but these are slowly abating day by day, so I would ay so far so good, but this is just the beginning. I am looking for small victories here. If the meds simply mean I can find and hold a job again, then that would be a very good outcome at least in the short term.

I think I have hit the limit of what I can write in one sitting, but I will try and make my presence felt more in the future, especially with regards to progress in my treatment.

Regards,

Ruaraidh (Rory) Cresswell

mollywoo
01-08-09, 07:02 PM
hello, just signed up,

have been diagnosed with ADHD for about 2 years, been on a hell of a roller coaster for a long time. But today the sun was shining :)

ScottWorley
03-21-09, 07:40 AM
Scott Worley -

Pretty successful author/CEO/Technical manager/CTO/GM and too many other things... in work.

Pretty much ruined marriage thriough ignorance on both sides however...

Just come back to UK, and gifted by/through ADHD like many others here...

Always willing to talk... be warned I tend to go off topic a tad :)

-scott

dormammau2008
03-22-09, 04:26 PM
hello scoote nice to see you and allways welcome here dorm

Emjay
03-24-09, 01:52 PM
Hi, don't think I have ever introduced myself on here.
I am undiagnosed and currently waiting for the results of my local psychologists asessment of me.
It has been quite a process to get to this point and I also get the impression that I wont be getting a referral to the Maudsley from them.
I can't jump the gun however and wait to find out their ideas at my next app at the end of April.
Just hope I don't burst into tears if I am terribly dissapointed (most likely).
They will probably certify me a nut there and then.
This whole process of getting NHS psychologists to take you seriously enough to provide you with the right referral or care is in itself enough to cause stress and anxiety to very high levels.
It's just so frustrating to not have the access to a facility that could change your life.
I am actually doubting as to whether I have ADD now, when I was so sure before.

HaHA, so now my intro has rambled into my story and has gone off somewhere else.
Lol
If anyone wants to ask about my experience I would be happy to share :o)
Thanks and Hello All!

tom45678
04-08-09, 01:17 AM
Hi folks, my names Tom, tho I guess most peeps know that from reading my username. Methinks I need to be more creative.

I think an apology is due first. I dont think I ever introduced myself. How rude of me.

Im a 26 year old guy from Lancashire, Ive always had a love/hate relationship with acedemia. I love computer science, not that that has always shown through in my grades mind. Im at university now, and after many failed attempts, this time things dont seem to be going as wrong as they have in the past.

My relationship with ADHD? Not sure just yet. Ive got a formal assesment this month, so hopefully things will begin to look up soon enough. My GP, and an educational psychologist that diagnosed my dyspraxia both think i have the inattentive variety,which matches the symptoms of present tho I was always hyper as a kid, so Im kinda flummoxed right now.

Hopefull all will be made clear when I speak to some specialists nexts month.

Take care - Tom

crazycat1990
04-22-09, 01:17 PM
Yo :cool:

I'm Michaela, 19, live in Charlwood, a lovely little village in Surrey (next to Gatwick Airport pretty much).
I have Asperger's and also read up on ADHD when I was reading up on AS, and noticed a had a lot of the traits. I'm still debating whether I have Inattentive or combined type!
I was DX'd with Asperger's when I was 17. I was given questionnares for an ADHD assessment but never got round to sending them off and getting my parents to fill them in! :o
Went back to the docs at the end of last year (or was it the start of this year?) and they made a referral...missed that appointment...made a second one...missed that! Hopefully it will be third time lucky!

I went to Reigate Sixth Form College but I just couldn't keep up with everything and found it so boring and miserable, so I left early in my second year.
I have worked at Thorpe Park (the UK's most thrilling theme park! Woop!) in the rides department since March 2007 and I love it! I got to operate last year as I turned 18, it was great fun! :D I love theme parks!! But the managment and favouritism was bl00dy awful last year so I didn't go back this year, I tried at Chessington cos I'd heard how different it was. This is where my Asperger's caused issues - I wasn't liking the change and I just couldn't settle in with the different people, just couldn't get talking to them. So I left and re-applied for Thorpe! Should be some jobs coming up soon! Last year people got transferred between the parks but when I asked they said they couldn't, which sucks cos I could've been working by now! Just hope they are right, otherwise, well yeah, I could've een at work and not missing out on training opportunities! But things have apparently improved this year from last, yay!
Finally, I have an amazing boyfriend called Rob, who I met at work in September 2007 :) He also seems very ADHD! I really would like him to see someone about it, but I know what he's like, he'll never get round to it, he's more disorganised and putting things off more than me sometimes! It'll be quite cute in a way if we both have it!

Ooh one more thing - I have an adorable step-brother who is...7 I think? I can't remember haha. He has PDD-NOS and dyslexia, he's very entertaining and funny as well!

I didn't know there was a UK thread on here, in fact I was wondering earlier if there was one. It's nice to know there are quite a few others here!

And by the way, the reason my user name is crazycat1990 is cos: I am crazy, I love cats, and 1990 is my year of birth.

doiadhd
06-03-09, 02:06 AM
Hi.......!
name-Roy
age-29
work-self employed un-employed plasterer(think it was the only thing keeping me going)
no diagnosis of yet (but it makes sense to me)

undermythumb
06-03-09, 10:20 AM
Hello!

I'm Ceri, I'm 21 and I live in Wales.

I have AD/HD and was diagnosed in March. My brother suggested I might have it when I was 18 and well, I was actually pretty mad with him, hah! Then I calmed down, thought 'I probably do have it' ..and subsequently forgot about it until it got so obvious I couldn't ignore it anymore!

I'm a student at the moment but I'm about to graduate [hopefully..]. My plan for the next year is to get a[ny] job, save money to go travelling and also so I can move to Canada to live with my old housemate.. oh and to survive living with my Mum again unscathed :p

By that time I hope to have the negative aspects of my AD/HD under control so that I can do what I've always wanted to do, become a professional screenwriter. I managed to write 80 pages when I was 19 but didn't finish it.. I'll get there though.

weareacc
02-19-10, 06:38 PM
Ian. Signed up here about 8 months ago and just got diagnosed yesterday.
Hoping that it all begins now.

I'm in South Manchester- Didsbury, if you know it (or even if you don't).

amysaurus
08-16-10, 08:05 AM
Hello.
My name is Amy, from Stafford.
I am an ADD sufferer.

doiadhd
08-16-10, 08:19 AM
Welcome :D

doiadhd
08-17-10, 03:18 PM
Uk adult ADHD,

England adult ADHD,

Welsh adult ADHD,

Ireland adult adhd,

Scotland adult ADHD,

Europe adult adhd,

Shelly2010
09-09-10, 11:21 AM
My name is Michelle I live in Glasgow and have 4 kids my oldest has ADHD.

bumpey
09-12-10, 08:17 PM
im in merseyside,

diagnosed adhd and probably aspergers etc as one leads to the other, starting suplements, anything that helps basicaly.

UK_Inattentive
09-21-10, 05:59 AM
Hi All,

I'm Mark 45 just diagnosed ADD non attentive, tried Adderal, Cincerta and now giving Strattera a go fingers crossed

Am going down the private route as I haven't the patience to wait months on the NHS to see someone who most likely doesn't understand the problem.

The meds cost a packet though!

snickerz
09-22-10, 04:25 AM
im in scotland working towards being diagnosed

Spikey 723
10-26-10, 10:32 AM
Hi.

I'm a female in Northern England, have ADD (not diagnosed but medicated), living alone with a son (very active but not ADHD) and studying full time.

I have found these forums very useful.

Mike.P
03-23-11, 11:15 AM
Hi, I'm Mike, I live in Falmouth, Cornwall.

I have ADHD, I got diagnosed in America by the Johns Hopkins Adult ADHD center in Maryland in January 2011.

Spilani
07-21-11, 11:21 AM
Hi Im Spilani, I live in London. ADHD and child with ADHD. :)

andy1027
12-15-13, 07:00 PM
Hi All!

I'm from Northern Ireland. I'm 18 years old. Diagnosed with ADD when i was 8 years old.

Stimulant meds mess me about. Strattera depresses me, makes me irritable and makes me sleepy which makes me therefore take It in low doses at night. I find it again the bum trying to get up in the morning. And because I can only take it in low doses I can't really concentrate :( don't know what to do at the moment. Currently looking for an ADHD psychiatrist.

RampantSpooning
01-04-14, 05:59 PM
My name is Tom. I live in Ashby de la Zouch and work around the UK for a company that delivers educational interventions for troubled kids, which I love.

My relationship to ADHD. Just been diagnosed with it and put on concerts by NHS psych. Explains a lot...!!

actually_a_tree
11-16-14, 12:39 PM
My name is Evan, living in Oxford. I take Adderall XR that I got when I lived in Canada and am now worried about either having to switch to a less effective drug or pay the same amount on Adderall as I do on rent.

serenityissweet
10-29-16, 07:33 AM
Hi
I am Anne

Living in London, prior to this, France
From USA

My experience:
In USA

12 years ago
Strattera worked beautifully!

new insurance refused to cover it, required that I try and "fail" at 3 meds before they would consider covering Strattera

tried reluctantly...Adderall

works beautifully

very expensive, even with insurance
although from what I read in forum, much cheaper than UK

Experience in France:

Adderall is illegal and unavailable in France

Tried Ritalin, again reluctantly

seemed to be an improvement, but not nearly as effective as Adderall

Now in UK

and need to find a solution

There is a night and day difference in just about everything I do when I am on or off meds

Motivation, organization, focus....
and when I feel so unorganized, unfocused, unmotivated... I tend to get depressed

I am 55 by the way, and monitor blood pressure and have no significant issues with it and the meds

Otherwise I am healthy and very active...LOVING LONDON!!