View Full Version : Son dx'd with Bipolar

Lisa1
12-17-06, 03:28 PM
Hello room my 9 yaer old soon to be ten has been dx adhd since 5 years old now they want to add bi-polar and I hate it they seem to not really know she has been in and out the hosptal and on different meds they had her on depokote but she had headaches and alot of weight gain I took her off they now have her on folclin but it runs out early in the day.any advise

njtrout
12-17-06, 10:21 PM
Hello room my 9 yaer old soon to be ten has been dx adhd since 5 years old now they want to add bi-polar and I hate it they seem to not really know she has been in and out the hosptal and on different meds they had her on depokote but she had headaches and alot of weight gain I took her off they now have her on folclin but it runs out early in the day.any adviseLisa1,

I bet you'll here this many times here. Get another opinion. Please!

Sounds like you are not agreeing with the doctors. We have found that having a doctor for our son that EVERYONE is comfortable with is a huge step in the right direction. We were lucky enough that on our second try we found a WONDERFUL psychiatrist for our son. She is a psychiatrist, pediatrician and neurologist (or some combination of those).

We started out with a DX of general anxiety disorder, but knew there were more issues. We have add DX of ADHD and early onset bipolar disorder. We treat the GAD and bipolar with meds. Currently Seroquel and Eskalith (lithium). We have tried many, many medicines to find a combination that works for all of us. At the moment we are doing really well. At the moment, our MD will not risk treating the ADHD with meds as it could trigger serious bipolar issues.

Add a weekly visit to a counselor (LSW), regular pediatrician is in the loop, the school on board with an IEP, and buying every book we can on the subject(s).

From what I have read, it is not unusual for ADHD to be comorbid with bipolar. The BIBLE for parents on child bi-polar is The Bipolar Child by Demitri Papolos, M.D. and Janice Papolis. Get the latest edition.

If you like this Website for ADHD, then you should go to www.bpkids.org (http://www.bpkids.org) for the same level of help on childhood bipolar.

Look for a local or state chapter of NAMI (http://www.nami.org/). You can meet with parents in your area that have similar situations. You might get a referal to another M.D.

All will be ok...NJTrout