View Full Version : dealing with negative coworkers

oddjobace
01-16-07, 10:44 PM
I started a new job about 4 months ago, at the time I believed it was going to be a great learning and growing experience. I show up on time, I try to improve things, I look for ways to save money for the company and continually try to make things better.

Just the opposite has happened, it is run by very greedy people who ownly care about the money they make. They don't notice anything I do. No reviews, no recognition for any of it.

I sometimes think it's just me, but the place is full of negative workers. I am slowly trying to change there attitudes but it is wearing on me. I feel like I don't belong with them.

They swear all the time, gossip, and steal tools and supplies with no regard for the consicuences. If I hang with them then I am just as bad, If I don't then I am not a one of the gang.

My life is full of employment issues, hence the name Oddjobace, I don't know what happened to me. How did I end up here? If I quit, then its just one more for the list that didn't work out. I am going to school and swear I am going to stick to it until I have a PhD.

Right now I am at the bottom of the heep but don't feel I belong there.

Inmate 839221
01-16-07, 10:52 PM
I hear you dude. You go into a job with a positive enthusiasm only to be shot down by people who have been worn down by the system. They dont realize that they're just re-perpetuating the bad situation with their attitude.

Tyboulder
02-11-07, 09:01 PM
I can stand the negativity, collective stress, gossip and politics that go with an office. I really want to be self employed. I can't stand the structure and repetitive tasks I'm forced to grind through every single day.

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 10:12 PM
I can stand the negativity, collective stress, gossip and politics that go with an office. I really want to be self employed. I can't stand the structure and repetitive tasks I'm forced to grind through every single day.You think working for someone is hard? Working for yourself can be just as hard. Instead of feeling like your bosses are the ones that only care about money, try being treated like you only care about money etc when you're not like that at all.

When you're the "boss" people tend to have that "how dare you try to make a living?" attitude. :(

gstien
02-19-07, 10:52 PM
Oddjobace, you don't work in gov't do you? LOL
I see that at work.
They count pennies, while throwing dollars out the door.
I've been part of the gov't for 19 years (local gov't), but I've only swapped
"agencies" once.
I went from Law Enforcement to another section.
This other section is just as you descibed in your post.
It's hard to work in a place like that.
Employees want recognition for doing their job.
If there is no incentive to show up and work hard, then why do it?
Why do you get up in the morning and rush to work?
It sure isn't for the atmosphere!
I've been there, I am there, and I want out. LOL
You have negative coworkers where ever you go.
Some places have more per square inch than others.
It's hard to do work with them around, believe me.
Being in this type of environment for so long, I have some advice for you.
Stay in school, get your degree, and end up on top.
BTW, don't let the negatives get you down.
Their job is complaining, and they do it well.
I just ignore the ones I have to deal with, and get on with my day.
I just have a Bachelors, so I'm like in the middle.
But I'm working my way to the top.
One day....:D

Walkiebits
02-20-07, 06:36 AM
You have negative coworkers where ever you go.

I can't believe the way some people are at their jobs. You'd think they weren't getting paid anything. A workplace is REALLY what you make it. I've had fun at really crappy jobs just because we found ways to make things more fun and happy, even if they were stupid things. Like my Manager asking me how to display a ham "artistically" (I'm an artist) XD
If people are grumpy you just have to be stupid and make them laugh, not hard for me since I have tourettes :D

I'm probably going to be getting a regular job soon...I work for myself at the moment. Its okay, but I need some health benefits and money to get through the tough seasons. I'm looking forward to it, I hope things aren't that bad where I get a job :confused:

If I get a cubicle I'm going to put up posters like this :

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/posters/5cd7/zoom/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/posters/5cd9/zoom/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/posters/65c7/

>.>
<.<

Don't judge me!