View Full Version : add article. ADHD (inattentive) a distinct disorder?

geckogirl
01-19-07, 11:06 AM
Have you people seen this article? It argues that add is a distinct disorder from the hyperactive subtype and argues that hyperactive people primarily have problems with impulse control while add people primarily have a problems with working memory. It's pretty cool.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1474811

Scattered
01-19-07, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the article link. :) My only problem is that I was diagnosed at 4 as hyperactive (back in the 60's where that was a rare diagnosis for a girl). These days I'm inattentive and have major problems with working memory. Where does that leave me I wonder?

Scattered

Crazy~Feet
01-19-07, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the article link. :) My only problem is that I was diagnosed at 4 as hyperactive (back in the 60's where that was a rare diagnosis for a girl). These days I'm inattentive and have major problems with working memory. Where does that leave me I wonder?

ScatteredProbably in the same place I am...an impulsive who outgrew (most) impulsivity through the power of breaking her head too once too often. I am now a PI...we are in the same boat Scatt!

For the record I think we are all suffering from Brain Pudding. Its all mushy and mixed together and as long as we live life to its fullest?

It does not matter what we call "it" :)

Scattered
01-19-07, 01:57 PM
I think you're probably right Crazy. I always like to have nice categories to put things in (tad bit OCDish). It helped me to read Mel Levine's book (A Mnd at a Time), because he thinks we should never have given attention it's own DSM category. He thinks it's more useful to identify specific weaknesses rather than clumping things together which will not fit for everyone. Not only is specificity more accurate but it lends to more specific useful treatments. I've gone down his list and identified working memory, spatial relationships, mental energy modulation and a few other things as describing me. Saves me from having to figure out why an ADDer would absolutely love school, even if a few areas really tripped her up.

I like you're common sense ways of looking at things, Crazy!:)

Scattered

PS: Levine says his book title, A Mind at a Time has two meanings. The first is one mind at a time -- valuing the uniqueness of each of us. The second meaning is a mind at a period in time. We change over time and in different circumstances.

Matt S.
01-20-07, 01:01 PM
I know that my theory is that either way I put it my being hyper is a result of an understimulated brain and attention span issues for me are really the boring things or things that require patience and impulsiveness is my major problem. It may be a hypoarousal if that would be the term. My family tree is full of them on my Dad's side and my maternal grandmother is an alcoholic and genetically there's a pattern of thrill seeking and impulsive behavior there. Any time I get depressed it is a mixed state to anyone else and I literally go insane on All antidepressants except Lamictal and Wellbutrin and my dad's side of the family has a high incidence of accidents due to impulsiveness. My best friend seems to be my polar opposite as far as ADD goes and he tends to need excessive amounts of alarms to wake up and seems to motivate and get moving and sleeps excessively when depressed and gets worse on SSRI's. Stimulants wake him up and well shut me up so it goes all around it seems like the opposite because I am two steps into trouble and it's too late whereas he's daydreaming and thinking about everything but that. I think it's kind of cool.