View Full Version : Sleep issues any good sleep aids? Currently on seroquel

wadew1976
01-21-07, 08:42 PM
WELL i have been on every med under the sun and currently on seroquel and Effexor. The seroquel helps me sleep but also makes me eat and eat and eat and become secluded! I have put on so much weight and now i wont even come out of the house unless i absolutely need to. I have switched and tried so many drugs and nothing seems to work except bad side effects. When im off my seroquel i dont have as much of an appetite but cant sleep as well as i would on it. I was wondering if anyone has tried any good sleep aids to sleep at night that doesnt have terrible side effects? Im really sick of trying new drugs and dealing with the side effects but will try a good sleep aid. :confused:

netsavy006
01-22-07, 08:52 AM
One sleep aid that works for me is Lunesta. Up until the doctor changed my med doses around it worked very well. I'm gonna speak to the doctor next week to see if I can go back to my origonal 50mg Zoloft dosage. (tapering off to this dose of course).

lars
01-22-07, 09:09 AM
I've found the new drug Rozerem to be effective, and it also has very few side effects. The downside is that it is very expensive without insurance due to how new it is. Perhaps your Dr may have some samples of this stuff, as the company saturated doctors offices in the US this past year with product samples after the stuff was approved by the FDA.

It's actually the first ever non-addictive and non-controlled FDA approved sleep aid. It's made in Japan by a company called Takeda, and from there the chemical is sent to Ireland where it's compounded and made into tablets and then packaged. I'm not sure why Takeda does this, but I guess there must be a reason.

The drug itself is a melatonin agonist, and what it does is esentially trigger the bodies own sleep mechanism into action. It works good for jet lag, and for people having trouble falling asleep, or anyone who might want to reset their natural sleep cycle. It is not, and I repeat not something that will keep people asleep, so anyone who struggles with waking up periodically in the middle of the night would be best trying something else.

I use this stuff periodically, and I find that it works great when used that way. My Dr insist that I should use it chronically because it is supposed to work much better when taken every night, but I find that it works just fine when I take it as needed. I probably use it 4 to 5 times a month, and have been for about 7 or 8 months now.

On the subject of side effects, this is the only sleep aid I have ever used that had no residual hang over effect whatsoever the next morning. There is simply no groginess or sleepiness the next morning for me when I take Rozerem.

That being said, I still use other things to help me sleep periodically due to the way I like how they effect my sleep. Remeron is a wonderful sleep aid, but it really requires me to have 12 to 14 hours ahead of me to sleep, and I'm not exagerating. It produces a profoundly deep and wonderful sleep, but it is so powerful that I only take it about 4 to 5 times a year. It's a real treat when I do take it because I love to sleep, and I am an avid lucid dreamer.

Remeron (mirtazapine HCL) is actually a powerful antidepressant that is often used off label as a sleep aid. About a year ago or so I read about some trials that were being conducted with mirtazapine and its effect on REM sleep. Sounded promising, and from my experience, its the only sleep aid that has a pronounced effect on REM sleep.

netsavy006
01-25-07, 08:57 AM
Thanks for posting this information Lars. I might just switch to another sleep aid to see if it works. Can't take Remeron as I take Zoloft, but I might just try the Rozerem.

QueensU_girl
01-25-07, 02:07 PM
Good hard Exercise during the day improves sleep at night.

Another 'off label' med (sedating antidepressant) now prescribed/taken as a sleep drug is Trazadone.

netsavy006
01-25-07, 10:27 PM
I sure wish I could get good sleep at night. Before I started the lunesta prescription I would be up till 2 to 3 am and I wasn't even trying to stay up. I would be lying in the bed awake and I knew I had to get up for school the next day and the routine wouldn't help me either. Now I'm working off the lunesta for the same reason. don't work anymore.