View Full Version : Healing ADD

Claudia_0102
01-22-07, 10:40 AM
Has anyone ever read a book called "Healing add"? I'm not sure who it is by but my mom is reading it and she says that its pretty good. She wants me to read it after she's done with it. The category is parenting/self help.

jeaniebug
01-22-07, 11:38 AM
Has anyone ever read a book called "Healing add"? I'm not sure who it is by but my mom is reading it and she says that its pretty good. She wants me to read it after she's done with it. The category is parenting/self help.
Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

His website: amenclinics.com

I like it because it has lots of pictures--"This is your brain with ADHD, this is your brain medicated/supplemented."

Very visual for a book.

Noteably missing: cormorbid conditions esp bipolar. He does talk about one case of bipolar separate from all his ADHD stories. His stories of patients have probably been shortened for the book, but read as: "X" came in with this list of complaints, we scanned his/her brain, put "X" on such and such rx/supplement and they reported improvement.

Hallowell in his newest book "Delivered from Distraction" reports that he went to visit Dr. Amen's clinic and talk to him. He had his brain scanned (SPECT) Found out he has a variety of things pointing to eventual alzheimers, so is taking meds for that. Hallowell says he and Ratey want to join Amen for future studies.

An excellent introduction, like I said with lots of pictures.

zoneout
01-23-07, 06:24 AM
Yeah, it's a groundbreaking book. One of the best on ADD. Amen is a genious. One book I couldn't put down even with ADD impaired reading skills. Many "wow" moments throughout the book. Definately in top 5.

Crazy~Feet
01-23-07, 06:40 AM
I liked the book fairly well. The section on games people with ADHD play to create adrenaline is a very good bit. I do have to admit that I am not impressed with this his "typing" categories however. They are not accepted by mainstream psychiatry, and the online tests can be a bit misleading and confusing when a person's results indicate multiple "types" :faint:. Enjoy the book though!

Matt S.
01-23-07, 10:16 AM
I read it and I have all 6 types depending on the factors involved so the type aspect of it is not really accurate... the sugary food to break up the OCD like hyperfocus fits I tend to have helped immensely

dormammau2008
01-23-07, 09:14 PM
hey c f sounds like a great book i def have a look at that....books with pics.....dorm

Claudia_0102
01-24-07, 12:50 AM
Now i'm excited to read it. :D

Crackerjack
01-24-07, 12:36 PM
I like this book so much I've even bought copies for other people to read.:D

Everyone I bought it for liked it as well.

Claudia_0102
01-25-07, 10:41 AM
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978188742437/1887424377/Healing+ADD?ref=Search+Books%3a+'healing+add'

:D

Crackerjack
01-25-07, 01:02 PM
Oops. I forgot there was one by Thom Hartmann too.

The one I was referring to in my previous post is by Dr. Daniel Amen.

equest
05-07-07, 04:36 PM
This is one of the most informative and easy to read books on ADD on the market.

auntchris
06-03-07, 10:21 PM
jeanie do you mean

www.amenclinics.com (http://www.amenclinics.com)

FightingBoredom
06-06-07, 06:19 PM
I'm reading this book now. It is one of the best books on ADD that I've read yet.

QueensU_girl
06-06-07, 10:23 PM
I like the book. A lot.

Hate the title. (Why? I Don't know if i believe ADD is 'healable" or "curable".)