View Full Version : Info please

jennyjay
01-24-07, 02:29 PM
My doc has me diagnosed as bipolor II, which I disagree with, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find like some sort of "questionaire" about it to give to my boyfriend. I want to know what "symptoms" he sees, if any. I want to get some feedback to see if I really am or not.:confused:

Matt S.
01-24-07, 03:07 PM
Well I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder NOS- I have the classic "agitated depression" now called a mixed state and if I take antidepressants I tend to wind up psychotic manic and I am hyperactive 100% of the time so it's a toss up with me and I do well on Lamictal which is a medicine that will not make people in the bipolar spectrum manic and it isn't the Thorazine Shuffle either. There are treatments that work well and don't require the sacrifice of one's body or will for that matter (meaning you won't starve yourself and still get fat or turn into a zombie or need blood levels weekly etc)

bltscience
01-25-07, 10:32 PM
it is not fair to put your boyfriend in that position, even if he is a doctor.

try several doctors, get their opinions, do your homework.

if you truly believe you are not, then ok. but if you find yourself exhibiting the symptoms again and again over time, get help.

it is not a life sentence of misery if you are diagnosed, just something you need to take some medication for.

the best thing that ever happened to me was the day I let the doctors help me and got medication.

jeaniebug
01-26-07, 02:40 AM
My doc has me diagnosed as bipolor II, which I disagree with, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find like some sort of "questionaire" about it to give to my boyfriend. I want to know what "symptoms" he sees, if any. I want to get some feedback to see if I really am or not.:confused:The questionaires I looked at for bipolar were kind of bogus, IMHO. I have never been very manic, except for when I was in withdrawal from Effexor. However, I learned that medication induced mania is still mania. I have treatment resistant depression, seasonal depression, and a lot of anxiety.

Where I felt I got the most interesting an relevant information was from visiting threads and posts in the bipolar section of the forum.

Bear with me people who have seen this post before, but I'm pasting it here again.

The full text of this paper is posted in the following thread, which was started by RhapsodyInBlue, with the entire article posted by Andi (click to read the paper and/or the thread)

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15701
----------

Strategies to Reduce Misdiagnosis of Bipolar Depression

Charles L. Bowden, M.D., Professor and Chairman, Department of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.<O:p</O:p
(http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15701)
(I paraphrased the parts of the article (it’s really long) that I found interesting and which seem to apply most to me personally, because of my treatment resistant depression and anxiety)<O:p</O:p

“The author discusses complexities in the diagnosis of bipolar disorder, especially in distinguishing bipolar from unipolar depression.

Patients with bipolar depression and bipolar manic patients had much higher scores on extraversion, novelty seeking, and being less judgmental.

Depression—and indeed all mood episodes—in the postpartum period are more likely to reflect an underlying bipolar disorder (20,21).

Depression occurring on a seasonal basis is more likely to be within the bipolar spectrum.

Some patients with bipolar II disorder have even milder manic excursions than described above. These persons generally have hyperthymic temperaments, evidenced by high energy, remarkable capacity for productive work, impatience, and a tendency to be easily annoyed.

Anxiety disorders often co-occur with bipolar disorder (38) and, when prominent, can mask evidence of bipolar disorder.

Anxiety is an intrinsic symptom of manic states. " :eek:

This article and others really pointed me in the direction of finally believing the bipolar diagnosis. I was especially surpised by the last statement regarding anxiety. I have been really anxious for the past 10 years. Who Knew? Not me for sure! :o

The ADHD is annoying, it affects my quality of life, and its hard feeling like I'm Lazy, Crazy or Stupid. BUT I would literally sell my soul to be free from the anxiety. :eyebrow: It not only affects my quality of life, but makes it feel like life is not worth living.

Don't know if this is at all helpful jennyjay, but my 2 cents worth. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

LittleD1981
02-04-07, 05:14 AM
I have never been very manic, except for when I was in withdrawal from Effexor.

Wow, just a couple months ago, I had gone off of Effexor without tapering the dosage, and I got insanely manic, too! I thought that was really odd, as it's usually starting, not stopping, an anti-depressant, which can cause mania. Sorry you, too, had to experience that, but sooo comforting to know I'm not alone.

jennyjay, all I can say beyond what the others have said, is to take an HONEST and HARD look at yourself. You could be in denial. I want to ask, though, what is it specifically that makes you think you are NOT BPII?

justhope
02-13-07, 09:47 AM
It took me 12 years to finally get a dx of Cyclothymia precurser to BPDII. I had been dx with ADD since I was 24. I think it took so long, 1 because I didn't have the "classic" symptoms. (and because I kept trying to make just the ADD thing stick)

I was like Mspen the aggitated/anxious/ depression no mania.
It wasn't until about 1 year before I was dx that I had my first full blown episodes of hypomania. And that was mostly insomnia, or lack of needing sleep, hyperfocusing on things esp. when the hypomania hit..like staying up all night on the computer when I had to work the next day. Overspending money when I am usually a miser.

There were no "classic" horror story symptoms with me there either. I just knew something was off. Finally I went to the doctor and told him, something is just not right. We talked, we went over my family history , all of my symptoms again, and he started me on Lamictal like Mspen. I have done very well on it. And found a "middle ground" I never knew before. It's not a magic pill, but it doesn't shut me down either. In fact I had less side effects than I did from many of the ADD meds I have been on and the anti-depressants. I just feel more leveled out now. No big swings, not always so angry, anxious, or moody. And my sleep is more regular now. No more 12 hour sleeping weekends fests, and no more 3 days with 4 hours of sleep. The best is I don't constantly feel aggitated by my kids wanting to hang out and climb all over me...that used to really bother me the most.

I agree with the others, get second opinions if you really think it's the wrong dx. However I just want to make a point here, only because I went through it myself....please take a long look in the mirror and make sure you are just not wanting to deal with the diagnoses.

I had a very hard time with it. Even growing up around it (maybe that was why), and coming from a medical family who was very open, accepting of it and others with mental disorders.

I just was so upset. I never had an issue with being ADD. But the BPDII was hard to swallow.

But you know what after I dealt with it, with help from a lot of people here. And once I leveled out on meds....I started looking at life a whole new way.

I don't want anyone walking around with the wrong dx because that can be dangerous. However, not wanting to deal with a diagnoses, esp of BPD is extremely dangerous as well.

A lot of us have struggled for years trying to get things "right" for us between misdiagnoses, and finding the right meds that work for our uniqueness!

I just want to make sure you are fighting it for the right reasons. And know many of us here understand.

Good luck on your journey, please let us know how it goes.

Hope