View Full Version : Has anyone switched to the patch-better??

lehmomma
01-25-07, 11:16 AM
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone's children have switched to the patch(Daytrana) and if they have what is the difference? I know the basic pharmaceutical info. behind it but I want to know if there has been a decrease in side effects?

lbawd
01-26-07, 01:02 AM
My daughter started the patch over Christmas break she has tried Adderall, Focalin and Concerta. All of them help with the inattentive issues but they all make her grumpy. The patch does not make her grumpy and I was really excited at first but it does not seem to be helping her ADHD. She is all over the place. We go back to the doctor this week. It could be that the dosage is not high enough or we have been putting it on wrong. She also gets a red rash under the patch and calls them her "Itchy butt stickers". The doctor said she has had a lot of success with the patches.

Lady Lark
01-26-07, 06:11 PM
We swithced just a couple weeks ago after failed trys with Concerta and Adderall. It doesn't seem to be helping. The biggest problem I've had is getting the backing off of the stupid thing. I've had two stuck so bad that they pulled the "sticky" off with the Backing and had to be thrown away! I know how to use patch medication (that's how I take my birth control), so I really don't think it's a lack of experence either.

lehmomma
01-29-07, 11:09 AM
Well, my daughter started four days ago and so far, so good. It helps to bend the patches back and forth several times. I wonder it everyone wrote into the pharmaceutical company they'd revamp the actual patch and make it easier. A kid would definitely have a hard time putting it on. I just bend it, peel of one side and then the other - apply the whole thing and then wash my hands. It does leave a red mark and someone emailed me and told me to have the doctor prescribe a steriod spray and apply that before applying the patch and let it dry before putting the patch on. They said it completely takes away the redness. i wonder if steriod cream applied to the site after remova would do the same thing???? I'm going to try that and let ya'll know.

Lady Lark
01-29-07, 06:56 PM
I'll have to try that. I do ned up taking off both sides and then applying it, since there is no way I could get half on and then take the other half off. Even doing that I still had two different patches pull the sticky right off.

I think we should write and let them know how difficult it is. After all, they'll never know if we don't complain. ;)

obbligato
05-21-07, 08:03 AM
for the 2 of you that are having problems taking the backing off. Try keeping your patches in the fridge and then don't over handle them when you go to put them on. I take off both halfs of the backing before applying them to my son. It also helps to have a longer thumb nail to hold onto the patch after removing the backing.

trying
05-30-07, 01:50 AM
Considering these patches release over such a long period of time, I can't help but think the lower methylphenidate dosages (10mg, 20mg+ depending of course on individual sensitivity/tolerance) are going to be less helpful.

Taking the same mg dose as a pill one took earlier would probably be a reduced dosage, hour-by-hour, see?

In any case I would guess the pharmokinetics are worked out in the materials somewhere, so just a tip to examine.