View Full Version : Adderall and hangovers

KoryM454
01-26-07, 04:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking Adderall the morning after a night out. When I get hangovers, I usually wake up before the alcohol has all left my system (night ends late, then I have to wake up early), so I don't usually wake up with a hangover, but it does hit later in the day. This means I get a second chance most of the time to dull the most painful parts of the hangover, and I was wondering if anyone has noticed fewer symptoms if they take their Adderall upon waking. Caffeine usually helps mine, so I was thinking maybe Adderall would have a similar effect. This morning was the first time I've tried this and I'm feeling better than usual, but I also ate more and drank more water this morning (thanks to the Adderall helping me drag my *** out of bed ;)).

So, please share your experiences.

jennyjay
01-26-07, 05:05 PM
That trick usually does not work for me. I have thrown up several times hungover after taking adderall. it also makes any head achs worse for me.:foot:

drewbocop
01-27-07, 07:56 PM
It makes me feel better especially after a shower, but it is definitely not a remedy for hangovers! If you're hungover with nausea, it probably won't be a good idea at all.

lars
01-27-07, 08:58 PM
it is definitely not a remedy for hangovers! If you're hungover with nausea, it probably won't be a good idea at all.I agree with drewbocop 100% on this. It's definitely not a remedy for hangovers.

Granted these drugs effect us each differently, and some people may come on here and claim that Adderall is the best darn hangover cure of all time. I just think that it's always best to use these drugs for what they were designed to be used for.

netsavy006
01-27-07, 09:16 PM
I never heard of adderall being used to help mange hangover effects but I'm not a qualified practitioner either. I would speak to the doctor about this since adderall and alcohol aren't meant to be mixed together.

qinkin
01-27-07, 11:39 PM
ya not meant to be!

unlesss you want a hangover from your seizure!
that's what happened the last time I drank alcohol,
while on adderall.

i don't think many will respond altoghether well,
with adderall

cmil
01-29-07, 06:10 AM
Obviously you should take it as prescribed which I'm sure you guys are doing, but in my case let me tell you DANG it cures hangovers. I get terrible ones, and about thirty minutes to an hour after taking a morning dose of adderall, that hangover is gone entirely.

KoryM454
01-30-07, 05:32 PM
Interesting... This is about the response I was expecting. When I take it in the morning after a late night, its not to fight the hangover, but because I need it for the day, and I was just wondering how others have fared doing the same.

Thanks for the replies.

netsavy006
01-31-07, 12:29 PM
It may help the hangovers but that doesn't mean the affects of the alcohol are gone, nor the damage done by it...

netsavy006
01-31-07, 12:30 PM
You're welcome, KoryM454

Bipolarruledout
01-31-07, 11:13 PM
If you ever having seizures after drinking you may have an alcohol problem, seizures are a withdrawl effect. Adderall does lower the seizure threshold but not by much... much less than wellbutrin.... I guess it's possible but not likely....

Taking adderall in and of itself for a hangover is not likely to be much of a problem but if your body has not metabolized all the nights alcohol by morning you may have other issues to deal with... or your just not getting much sleep.... Adderall is not a substitute for sleep. I personaly think alcohol abuse in this country is a much more serious problem than most people realize. It's a very harsh drug and can be very addictive. And this is coming from someone who has and continues to enjoy larger than recomended amounts on ocassion. So here are my tips for "harm reduction" during the consumption of alcohol.

WATER!!!! This cannot be understated. Drink lots and lots of water. It's harder to drink water when intoxicated becuase you are already "drinking"... beer and other libations, these ARE NOT WATER. Dehydration is the biggest cause of a hangover.

Other suplaments can help greatly.

NAC.... 500mg per "drink" (legal term, shot, 5oz wine, 12oz beer, etc)
B Complex
Vitamin C (sometimes in B Complex)
Potasium
Magnesium

Best taken as you drink but can also be taken before bed.

Avoid Aspirin and Tylonal (acetaminophen) like the plague. Tylonal *can* be taken if your taking lots of NAC but it's still not recomended if you value your liver. Aspirin is very harsh on your stomic. If absolutly nessesary ibruprofen and/or aleve (naproxen) are BETTER choices but really they should never be taken with alcohol. NSAIDS are very hard on your body systems when your body is already trying to deal with the assult of liquid poisen thrust upon it. It's best to take these in the morning if you get monster headaches like I do. There really is no cure for a hangover.... some things help but you really just need to wait it out... and eat something healthy in the morning.

meadd823
02-01-07, 04:36 AM
This morning was the first time I've tried this and I'm feeling better than usual, but I also ate more and drank more water this morning (thanks to the Adderall helping me drag my *** out of bed

More than likely the Adderall made you more awake but the prevention of the hang over is probably more due to the water. Hang over are caused by chemical dehydration and a small amount of brain swelling.

WATER!!!! This cannot be understated. Drink lots and lots of water. It's harder to drink water when intoxicated becuase you are already "drinking"... beer and other libations, these ARE NOT WATER. Dehydration is the biggest cause of a hangover.

This is correct medically speaking. The dehydration is from the alcohol pulling fluid from your tiddues into your blood stream this is why drinking make people go to the bathroom a lot.

There really is no cure for a hangover...

Yes there is not drinking a lot of alcohol rapidly. A slow steady consumption along with drinks of water in between mixed drinks and some food consumption before drinking or during . Naturally this won’t lead people to be falling down drunk but it can provide a nice controllable alcohol buzz that don't make a drunken fool nor are hang overs a problem, throwing up doesn't happen because the body isn't being poisoned by too rapid comsumption.

Partying when I have to get up early is a drag, I gave up getting up early.

KoryM454
02-07-07, 09:21 PM
Thanks again for the responses.

Let me clarify real quick, because I think some people may have the wrong idea about my intentions (or I am incorrectly thinking some comments are aimed at me). I'm not looking for a hangover 'cure' through adderall, nor am I using it to 'replace sleep' (although, I have used it more than once to help with those all-nighters where I have to get loads of work done, and I absolutely hate doing it. But the downfalls are better than not getting my work done. I'm still working on organizing and planning ahead). On those mornings after a night out where I take it to help with my early morning, its a morning that I would take it anyway because of what I need to do that day. It definitely helps me feel more awake, and I most certainly did not get enough sleep, but sleeping in isn't an option. My experience, so far, has been the adderall, when taken before all the alcohol has metabolized (meaning no hangover yet, but one will hit in the middle of the day), in addition to my normal morning-after-drinking routine, has helped with my hangovers.

Bipolarruledout, good post on hangovers. In another post I too advocated drinking PLENTY of water. I just have a couple pointers to add. Drinking something with a low amount of 'impurities' helps a lot. A vodka distilled six-times won't hurt nearly as much in the morning as dark liquors, wines (especially reds), or beers. Gin has the second least impurities to vodka I believe. Eating before you go to sleep is another thing that will help. There are specific types of foods that help more, based of the medical causes and effects of drinking/hangovers, but which types and the reasoning escapes me right now. I've also read drinking only one type of alcohol helps, because of the body already being taxed by one type, it makes it worse having to break down multiple types (different liquors, diff beers, wines, etc). But I am uncertain about that one.

Anyone else have any experiences with adderall and hangovers that they'd like to share?

Matt S.
02-08-07, 08:02 AM
I'd rather be hung over than on adderall

Bipolarruledout
02-08-07, 05:07 PM
mspen1018:

I know the feeling... adderall and alcohol absolutly don't mix with me. It's a recipe for nausia with me and you don't even catch a buzz anyway.

DynamiteBritany
02-08-07, 10:35 PM
I find that Adderall has more of a negative effect on me after a night of partying and getting only a few hours of sleep in. If I get enough snooze hours in then it seems to have the same effect as it usually does. I've taken it when I had gotten only a 'few' hours of rest and was hungover the next day and have had mixed reactions to it... I've found that if you feel like crap, you're probably going to feel like crap whether or not you take your meds... although it might help you get your butt off the couch! When I have a hangover Vitamin C supplements really help boost my immune system along with a breakfast (or lunch...) that has a lot of protein.

MomTo5Monkeys
03-01-07, 11:45 PM
I have the best option yet for hangovers - but not knowing all the ins and outs of this board, just sent me a PM and I will point you in the right direction ;)

netsavy006
03-02-07, 08:02 AM
I understand that you are taking your adderall properly when you are drinking alcohol. IMO, I don't think you should mix adderall and alcohol even if seperated by even a night-time sleep span. I think the adderall should be taken later in the day if alcohol was involved the night before, IMO.

justhope
03-02-07, 09:30 AM
I avoid drinking too much anymore....but then again I am an old lady :D

But the few times I have...and had to either go to work...or had things I had to have done that day.....
I have have taken my Adderall and yes it appears to help with the symptoms of the hangover...I think mostly because it helps with the tired part of the hangover, not the headache or nausea....

I hear what you are saying and so my answer is yes, it does help.

chad31687
03-02-07, 10:17 AM
Adderall definitely helps me wake up the morning after and not be all fuzzy, and the best way to lessen the sick feeling for me is to drink gatorade.

qinkin
03-03-07, 12:22 AM
i'm finding dexadrine,
me be better for us all...
the long run,
and accuracy is important to the symptom...

might be irrelevant,
but just check to the dexadrine sectshun (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31),
on the ADDforum.

calico810
04-17-07, 01:38 AM
On morning of me being hungover and taking my adderall I don't feel really better at all. I get heart palpitations and its not very effective due to being extremely lethargic and depleted of vitamins and minerals before. It helps a little to wake me up a little but I think I would be better off just sleeping in that day and taking my adderall when I am full recovered again. That's just me though =)

beautifultang
04-24-08, 10:27 AM
I'm sitting here rather dumbfounded after reading through this!

I'm trying to figure out why people are thinking that it's okay to drink alcohol and take adderall AT ALL.... or atleast within a few days of each other.
The first day I started on my adderall (I've been on it about 9-10 months now), I had a get together at my house and drank some wine, and even that was only a glass or two! The next morning I woke up feeling like someone ran over me with a dump truck a few times! Needless to say - I don't drink a drop of alcohol -AT ALL- ANYMORE.
We all know that alcohol is a depressant... the Adderall is a stimulant. Combining the two is just asking to screw up your body in some way... like a possible heart attack????

Easy solution... just don't do it.

dkaiser
07-10-10, 04:27 PM
So I know this topic is like 3 years old, but I was searching on google for people's experiences about this and this topic came up and I wanted to post my own two cents.

The reason this is an issue for me is because like most people who drink, I experience my hangovers in the morning, and like most people who use adderall, I take it in the morning. So when the two happen at the same time, I have to decide if I want to ride the hangover out and be useless, or try taking the adderall and hope its effects mask the hangover. My experiences have been inconsistent, and really probably depend on the severity of the hangover and what else I do to prevent/treat it. Water, light activity, and a greasy breakfast have positive benefits for me, far better than if I were to just plop an adderall and go on with my day. But adderall has definitely jumpstarted a useful day that would otherwise have been ruined by a cruddy hangover several times.

I'm really surprised at some people's reactions to alcohol/adderall. Taking adderall is my daily medical treatment, I take it to manage my ADHD and have a normal life. For a college student like myself, that means going out and getting drunk on the weekends. I like to do that, it's fun, and I've never had a bad reaction drinking while being on adderall (usually it's burnt out by the time I go out anyways, and the alcohol is usually gone by the time I take it in the morning). I guess people just have different reactions, but I'm kind of shocked hearing about seizures and whatnot.

I think everyone who takes adderall should really learn how it affects them. A doctor or a prescription bottle or a forum of other people's experiences are helpful, but may not reflect your own experiences. The reason I'm comfortable taking adderall and drinking later on is because I know how it affects me. I've come to learn my limitations when I'm on adderall, and this is an important thing for people with ADD to be able to do. Since some of us lack organization or that "that was obvious" thinking, we need to realize that adderall affects our days. That cognizance can help us make the best use out of our drug. If taking adderall while hungover causes you to have seizures or worsens the symptoms of your hangover, then it doesn't work for you. If the symptoms are ameliorated and your day is better off, then perhaps it works just fine for you.

holden
07-11-10, 12:28 AM
So I know this topic is like 3 years old, but I was searching on google for people's experiences about this and this topic came up and I wanted to post my own two cents.

The reason this is an issue for me is because like most people who drink, I experience my hangovers in the morning, and like most people who use adderall, I take it in the morning. So when the two happen at the same time, I have to decide if I want to ride the hangover out and be useless, or try taking the adderall and hope its effects mask the hangover. My experiences have been inconsistent, and really probably depend on the severity of the hangover and what else I do to prevent/treat it. Water, light activity, and a greasy breakfast have positive benefits for me, far better than if I were to just plop an adderall and go on with my day. But adderall has definitely jumpstarted a useful day that would otherwise have been ruined by a cruddy hangover several times.

I'm really surprised at some people's reactions to alcohol/adderall. Taking adderall is my daily medical treatment, I take it to manage my ADHD and have a normal life. For a college student like myself, that means going out and getting drunk on the weekends. I like to do that, it's fun, and I've never had a bad reaction drinking while being on adderall (usually it's burnt out by the time I go out anyways, and the alcohol is usually gone by the time I take it in the morning). I guess people just have different reactions, but I'm kind of shocked hearing about seizures and whatnot.

I think everyone who takes adderall should really learn how it affects them. A doctor or a prescription bottle or a forum of other people's experiences are helpful, but may not reflect your own experiences. The reason I'm comfortable taking adderall and drinking later on is because I know how it affects me. I've come to learn my limitations when I'm on adderall, and this is an important thing for people with ADD to be able to do. Since some of us lack organization or that "that was obvious" thinking, we need to realize that adderall affects our days. That cognizance can help us make the best use out of our drug. If taking adderall while hungover causes you to have seizures or worsens the symptoms of your hangover, then it doesn't work for you. If the symptoms are ameliorated and your day is better off, then perhaps it works just fine for you.

Holy old posts Batman!

Sickko
12-24-12, 06:40 PM
No it will not help if you just take it straight on. Alcohol severely dehydrates your body which is the cause of the hangover. Adderall will only aid the dehydration. Here is how to help a hangover go away. First, but two bottles of pedialyte (oral electrolyte maintenance solution, usually found in baby isle.) Second, a box of Claritin daytime allergy capsules (they dull the ear's inner ability to sense motion & block the messages to the part of the brain that controls nausea & vomiting.) Thirdly, aspirin & pepto bismal. Last but least the alcohol that you enjoy.

Ok now start by eating a meal 4 hours & taking a Claratin & drinking as much pedialyte out of the first bottle as you can 6 to 7 hours before you begin drinking. Now when the morning comes start by eating a healthy breakfast and 2 fruits, take another Claritin and continue on to drink as much pedialyte as you can out of the 2nd bottle, keep the pepto and aspirin close in case nausea and headache presents itself following these simple steps will usually prevent the so dreaded hangover.