View Full Version : self forgiveness

oddjobace
01-28-07, 04:35 PM
Today I began writing about the issues from as young as 4 years of age. That were affected by my being ADD. I am forgiving myself for the way I am. Has anyone else used a similar technique?

Imnapl
01-28-07, 04:50 PM
I really like a technique that lecturer John Bradshaw uses. You visualize a past experience that hurt you (in the eye of the beholder, of course) as a child and then, as an adult-you, go and comfort the child you were. Very powerful.

Michiko74
01-28-07, 11:54 PM
I really haven't used a particular "technique" per se, but I think I've let go of any anger I had about the way I've behaved in the past or choices I've made. I mean even before I was diagnosed, I was so frustrated about what I considered to be "mistakes" until I realized I did the best I could with what I had at the time.

I'm sure my life would be very different had I found out about my ADD much, much earlier in life. It sure would have prevented a lot of depression!! But the fact is my life would be just that; different. Not necessarily "better." And I do truly believe this. So I could play "what if" with myself until I go crazy. There's nothing to say that a different life would have brought any less stress and more joy than the one I have now.