View Full Version : Dyslexia and ADD!(Dual Diagnosis)

yolanda
01-29-07, 09:11 PM
Does anyone out there have an actual diagnosis of ADHD/ADD and dyslexia as well?

When I was officially diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type, I had no idea that the diagnosis of dyslexia would be accompanying it. My Psychologist officially diagnosed me with Dyslexia as well, and at first I was kind of amazed at the diagnosis because I for sure knew about ADHD but having dyslexia never crossed my mind.

When I read about ADHD and how there is medication to help relieve some of the symptoms that are most bothersome to many ADHD people, I felt a little relieved to know that having ADHD probably won't be that bad. But as far as Dyslexia goes, I don't think that there are any medications per se that help a person not deal with some of the symptoms of dyslexia that are bothersome to dyslexic people.

Does anyone have any experiences as far as having both ADHD/ADD and Dyslexia and also how to get help with the dyslexia if there's a such thing.

I've read that speech language pathologists can be of some help to dyslexics, but not sure, anyone know about this and if so how are they of benefit?

Yolanda

lelly88
01-30-07, 07:05 AM
I believe that dyslexia and ADHD and Dyspraxia can be co-morbid.My son 8 was first diagnosed wiht Speech and language difficulties, I beleived he was Dyslexic from the start. he now has a diagnosis of "Specific Learning Difficulties which could be Dyslexix/Dyspraxic in nature" he has also been refered to a pedatrician for ADHd inattentive type as he cannot focus on things auditory (auditory rocessing weaknesses, and has impulsive behaviours which appear out of character. I know another teenager with all 3 diagnoses.

hope this helps.

lelly88
01-30-07, 07:11 AM
Also dyslexia affects reading and spelling and getting thoughts organised on paper, verbal processing, can effect visual processing auditory processing, symptoms can be very individual. What do you think is your biggest problem, perhaps you put it all down to ADHD before?

yolanda
01-30-07, 12:40 PM
Well as far as the dyslexia, I think my biggest problem is not being able to put thoughts down on paper, not being able to ever come up with the right words to say, in fact I hardly talk at all due to this.Even if I do put words down on paper it takes along time for my mind to charge up so that what I'm writing makes any sense.

I read tremendously slow, according to my psychologists I am not where I need to be for my age group concerning reading speed.He also said that if someone told me something, and I had to put in my own words what they said, then I can't do it. In order for me to understand something, it has to be given back to me the exact same way.I wouldn't be able to process a reading passage for instance if a teacher really changed around the words, even though it would be saying the same thing. My mind doesn't work that way.

I need some clarification on something, does dyslexia have something to do with understanding languages. I've read this, but really am unsure about what it actually means. I always feel like I'm slurring my words and can not correctly explain myself to people, but then again it could be attributed to the ADHD though, I'm just not sure.

I feel that I totally forget I have Dyslexia at times, and only worry about my ADHD. But I want to deal with the Dyslexia just as much as the ADHD, but not sure in what direction I need to.

Yolanda

Scattered
01-30-07, 01:54 PM
My husband is dyslexic and my psychologist feels he is probably ADD too. He received special training that helped him with reading and while he still isn't a fast reader, he did just graduate from college. I helped a lot with the typing which he's never been a huge disability for him.

According to material I've read, it appears that spelling and math difficulties may be part and parcel of ADD. Dyslexia is also a common companion (well know ADD author of Driven to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction, Harvard professor Edward Hallowell, MD has both). They say it appears that it's not uncommon for an ADDer and a dyslexic to marry (my husband and I are an example of this) and so their offspring often have both issues going on.

A Mind at a Time (which is also I believe available on tape) by Mel Levine, MD does a good job of looking at specific problem areas and making suggestions.

Take care,
Scattered

meadd823
02-04-07, 07:31 AM
Apx 25%-30% of ADDers also have a learning disability. 40%-50% of dyslexics also have ADD. There are several of us here who have both. A small group of us PM back and forth on a regular basis. It is nice to converse with other who "speak the same language" and who understands the struggle having both can be.

I find my dyslexia more annoying then I do my ADHD. At least the ADHD can be relived some by medications but my spelling sucks no matter how many pills I swallow. My reading has improved but it still takes me a while to do, even when medicated I have to take frequent breaks because reading makes me tired really quickly. Off my medications reading can be next to impossible because I canít sit still long enough to do it.

These two occur together on a regular basis and the combination presents it's own unique challenges. I wouldn't have responded but I thought some may want to know the relationship between the two disorders and the frequency of their co-occurrence. I have done some research enough to have memorized the percentages.

raspberryrum30
02-19-07, 07:57 PM
Yeah This Is Me To

roly poly
02-20-07, 12:20 AM
I have never been diagnosed with dislexia, but have strong dilexic tendencies, just never ever thought it was anything more than my inner workings just weren't quite right, I still don't look to get any support for my deficiencies other than getting a handle on my ADHD, but dilexia can make matters worse and I sympathize with anyone who is extremely impaired by it.

lkonantz
04-11-07, 08:42 PM
I have both dyslexia and ADD. However, I was diagnose at the age 7, now I'm 23, so I went though a lot of work to get where I am today.

Language is part of dyslexia, because we have a hard time hearing sounds in words and trying to spell them or say them. There are words I konw and can say them in my head but have trouble say the word. It is one of the reasons why people with dyslexia don't learn a second language.

meadd823
04-29-07, 12:39 PM
I konw and can say them in my head but have trouble say the word. It is one of the reasons why people with dyslexia don't learn a second language.

I can't pronouce words correctly nor can I spell them but I normally know what tey mean. I also discovered I do not use words to define other words.

Edward
05-01-07, 01:50 AM
Heres a video from a california school that I watched tonight that was really interesting about Dyslexia and ADHD, it seems like they sometimes share some genes!! :) http://webcast.ucsd.edu:8080/ramgen/UCSD_TV/8537.rm

meadd823
05-01-07, 05:06 AM
They share some traits as well . . . .

krysta
05-03-07, 01:08 AM
Sometimes when describing my language processing and difficulty with word retrival to other people I describe that my thought or ideas are in my head, but it feels like its fragmented and that I can't always convey it in words or complete thoughts.