View Full Version : Not able to get nursing license to work!!

yolanda
01-29-07, 11:26 PM
I posted this thread here because in my case, in order for me to even have a job to go to work to everyday, I have to and must pass my nursing state license exam.:(

I went to college and finished with my degree and everything before I even knew I had ADHD and was recently diagnosed with the disorder as well as dyslexia too. :mad:

I took my nursing exam at least 3 or 4 times and could just not understand why I couldn't pass in order to become an R.N. I went to school for it, and spent all of that money on tuition, I was refusing not to become an R.N.(Registered Nurse)
The thing is, I would spend months to months on end trying to past this test, I just couldn't pass no matter what I did.:mad:

That's when I decided to get tested for anything that might impair my ability to read information and remember it and be able to analyze it (skills needed to pass the nursing license exam)!
Well, when I realized that my ADHD had a great deal to do with why I wasn't able to pass then I realized what needed to be done.:o

I am not working at the moment, my parents help somewhat as best they can.
The point I'm trying to make here is, now that I've just found out what's wrong with me and how to get a better grip on things, I feel that I should focus on that and start back studying for my nursing license exam.

I need help trying to convince my siblings who have good jobs and are all college graduates if they could help me until I am more stable to work. I feel that it's bad enough I've had this disorder and never knew about it, and then on top of that not have my siblings look at me and say, "well since Yolanda spent a great deal of her life struggling in college, let's help her now", but they won't. It's as if no-one ever helped them when they were done with school, and they didn't even have any type of neurological disorder or anything.:eek:

Now that I know what to do to move in the right direction, getting just any job that probably won't pay much and won't have any benefits just to get a few bucks will be a waste of time.Especially since alot of ADD/ADHD people are constantly getting fired anyway without being treated, why bother with that anyway. My family doesn't see it that way though.They won't even come together and help pay for my medications to treat ADHD.

I'm not asking for them to support me forever but if they could help now so that I can get better and eventually become an R.N., it would really make things better for me.It seems to me that their more interested in me making money than for them to sacrifice to help me. I really don't get that.I keep trying to tell them that it's going to take time for me to reach some sort of adequate treatment to make things better and that I desperately need their help for right now.

I really feel sad that they refuse to help.I feel like they should be gratefull that I've even gotten this far without ever being treated for my conditions, because the bottom line is, I paid for my nursing degree and I worked hard to achieve that goal and I did so with good grades for the most part and I deserve to work as an official Registered Nurse, and anything else I want to be.

Well, does anyone reading this have suggestions concerning how to persuade my siblings to help me pay for some of the treatment I need in order to put things in motion so that I can be successfull and start working and be more independant, because I hate having to depend on other people for things. My family helping will only be temporary!!

Yolanda

Imnapl
01-30-07, 01:27 AM
Yolanda, have you considered applying for disability funds?

yolanda
01-30-07, 01:33 AM
I did, but I haven't heard anything from them yet, so I don't know if I'm approved or not.

From what I've heard, people don't get approved when they first apply, I'm not saying that will happen to me but that's what I'm hearing.

Yolanda

Imnapl
01-30-07, 01:45 AM
Another thought, aren't there tutors to help with your state license exam?

yolanda
01-30-07, 02:45 AM
I've tried that before, but I didn't get much benefit from it though, but at the time I wasn't treated for my ADHD though. So maybe I'll try that again, but that's my point, even if I wanted to do that I still would need some help paying for it, and that's where my family would come in at to help. I'm open to anything that will help, but it's easier if I were to get some type of support in order to get to that point.

Yolanda

QueensU_girl
01-30-07, 10:09 AM
Demand oral exams.

Everything that you have to read on an Exam can be read orally to you by a Scribe. The Scribe also writes down your answers.

Alternately, answers can be written using oral dictation and RECORDED on audio.

I wish my nursing school problem's solution was so easy.

jeaniebug
01-30-07, 04:41 PM
Demand oral exams. I wish my nursing school problem's solution was so easy.QueensU,

Demanding an oral exam is a great idea, however, I don't think that there is anything "easy" about yolanda's nursing school testing problems. Even an oral exam can be quite difficult for someone who is very dyslexic. I know you are trying to problem solve, but you sound a little condescending. I'm sure that is not your intention.

Yolanda--I went to college with a good friend who was extremely dyslexic but extremely bright. He became a paleontologist. He could not ever get his degree because he could not pass an english class if his life depended on it. Most of the other people in the geology department thought he was a loser.

Then he became famous for proposing that dinosaurs cared for their young, became the model for the paleontologist character in a book called "Jurassic Park" and the rest is history. Jack Horner is his name, and his contributions to the theories that dinosaurs are closely related to birds, possibly warm blooded and cared for their young has changed the field of paleontology forever. BTW, Yolanda, he speaks very slowly with lots of pauses, but for some reason it makes him easier to understand. And he comes off as extremely thoughtful and bright. So don't necessarily assume that speaking slowly makes you appear dumb. Many people really appreciate a thoughtful explanation that is spoken slowly enough to understand when you are talking about confusing scientific information. (Such as health issues)

He was later awarded an honorary Ph.D. from the college where he was unable to get a bachelor's degree. No small thing at all, dyslexia. But no reason you can't be a terrific nurse even if you are dyslexic. :)

You must be one heck of a smart and persistant gal to have finished nursing school in spite of your ADHD and dyslexia. I wish I had answer to your financial woes. I'd send money if could. Give yourself some well deserved pats on the back.

piglet
02-04-07, 12:59 PM
I was just gonna say how dazzled I am at your getting through nursing school and only NOW determining you have this problem. You must be one smart cookie.

Once you DO get your nursing license, though - and you will! - your next task is to find the right JOB as a nurse. Be careful with this! Floor nursing requires things that you might be hard pressed to provide. It's very "read this, correctly, think fast, right NOW" and you might be better at something less immediate. I don't mean this as a criticism of your abilities. I mean, I think it's maybe not a good fit. And it's darned hard and they treat you not so great, so you won't be missin' much if you skip that.

I'm confident the right job is OUT there for someone as smart and persistent as you. Just, be careful what jobs you take and don't put yourself in the position of risking your hard-won license in a job you're not suited to. And remember if there's a job that's wrong for you, it's the JOB, it's not YOU that's wrong.

Please let us know how you're doing, hon, okay?

Imnapl
02-04-07, 01:21 PM
QueensU,

Demanding an oral exam is a great idea, however, I don't think that there is anything "easy" about yolanda's nursing school testing problems. Even an oral exam can be quite difficult for someone who is very dyslexic. I know you are trying to problem solve, but you sound a little condescending. I'm sure that is not your intention.QueensU_girl has made over 1,000 posts on ADDForums since March, 2005. If memory serves, she is studying to be a member of a medical profession and her partner is already one. Queens University has a very good reputation and attracts a high caliber of student. I value QueensU_girl's expertise, both personal and academic, and I'm grateful that she takes the time to share that knowledge and provide us with links to sources of reliable information. If you take the time to read more of her posts, you will have a better understanding of just what her intentions are.

piglet
02-04-07, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry, your question was, how to getyour family to help, and I glossed right past that. Inattentive!!!!

MY way of dealing iwth it would be, not to. If I had to do backflips through flaming hoops to get my family to see me and know me and feel I was worth helping, I would just slink away unseen by them and get help elsewhere. I mean, until I was driven finally mad by it and blew, like Krakatoa, way out of proportion to the present "straw" breaking my back.

Ummm.... not that that's actually happened, you understand :) (that "whoooosh" you hear is the sound of my rapidly ducking the retributory bolt of lightning I've earned by such fudging of the facts!)

But really, if my family were the type that would make me go through hell to get some help, I would look elsewhere. My nursing school had a "clubhouse" for women who were in difficult situations, like single motherhood. And your school has a vested interest in making sure you pass the boards and get a job. They might be a good resource.

But then again, forcing the family to really SEE you, and letting yourself be vulnerable, is scary and risky, but could give incredible returns.

Question is, are you ready to fight that fight, while you're fighting this one, just trying to get your feet under you? You might have a better chance of them seeing you, if you got through this without them kicking in. And that's their lack, not yours.

Scattered
02-04-07, 02:47 PM
Trying to get your family, especially your siblings, to help you when they obviously aren't seeing their way clear to do that is probably just wasting your time and causing you more frustration. Siblings rarely feel responsible for other siblings financially early on in life. I'd encourage you to look at the suggestions that were given here and pursue other options. My husband has severe dyslexia and my psychologist feels he is ADHD as well. He worked full time first delivering pizza and later as an LPN and went to school and became an RN. It took longer than usual, it was very difficult, but he did it even though his parents had cut off all financial support when he was 17 years old. Everyone has different ability levels -- I'm not saying the same path that worked for my husband will work for you. I've just found that not assuming anything is owed you -- either an RN license or financial support by your family, will do more to help you reach your goals, than trying to change others or the system. You've done a lot successfully already in completing your training as a nurse.

I'd recommend talking to a guidance counselor at the college and looking into your options for loans, extra help, oral exams, etc. ADD or not, this is your life and in the end you will be the one to have to shoulder the responsibility, not your family. A very wise counselor told me once to take responsiblity for everything that I possibly could -- responsibility, not blame. Because taking responsibility means that you are able to respond and not a helpless victim waiting for others to take action. It was a tough cookie to swallow at the time, but served me well in the long run.

Take courage and be of good hope!

Scattered

QueensU_girl
02-04-07, 03:34 PM
No need to attack me, please.

By using the word "easy" i meant that the Poster's _diagnosis is figured out_.

Some of us are undiagnosed, or are missed during "testing". (Psychologists cannot give us every test, remember. There are so many.)

Some of us have been told we do not have an LD in a certain area, despite repeated problems in, say, Math.

In fact, some of us are told we have very high scores in certain Math areas, but then we flounder around and fail repeatedly simply because we don't have a word/diagnosis and subsequent strategy for our learning/performance problem.

People with Dyscalculia can sometimes do advanced math, but cannot do what looks like "easy math" [to others] such as making change, or doing short calculations in their heads, or counting items. I can do all those things, but not certain higher conceptual/sequential tasks involving formulas, etc.

Whatever my own Math problem is, it seems to be the opposite of traditional Dyscalculia.

Not having a word for my problem has been very frustrating.

livinginchaos
02-04-07, 06:18 PM
My friend is a (new) nurse (without ADHD) and she had a very hard time passing the test, as did my cousin.

My friend said that taking the refresher course is the best thing she ever did. She took it and passed with flying colors the next round. It's expensive, but I've heard well worth the expense.

I know I didn't answer your question about support from your family and I wish I had answers or other suggestions for you, yolanda.

piglet
02-04-07, 08:01 PM
QueensU Girl, I'm in awe of you, your determination, your brains and your accomplishments, and your generous, helpful spirit.