View Full Version : Water touching my scalp! Hate it!!

yolanda
01-30-07, 02:13 PM
I know this seems crazy, but I hate to get my hair washed, I know that it needs to be done but it aggravates the mess out of me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind taking a bath, it's a necessity. It's just that when I go to wash my hair, and water touches my scalp and neck, it is so irritating. I've always kind of felt this way, and I didn't realize it until I read how ADHD people may have some sensory integration issues. I really don't know if their are ways to handle the sensory issues surrounding ADHD. But if there are, I would really like to know where to go and who helps us deal with these issues.

I also have problems with certain things touching my skin, and the sensations making me jump or seem rather paranoid. And then there's the sound issues. Noise of any kind can sort of drive me nuts.

Well just wondering if anyone else experiences this, and if so how do you deal with it?
What do you do?

Yolanda

Crazygirl79
01-30-07, 06:32 PM
Hi Yolanda.

I have SID as well as ADHD and while I don't mind washing my hair..in fact I LOVE the feel of clean wet hair, I HATE people brushing or touching my hair (only I can brush my own hair and not suffer) and as for the problem of 'certain' things touching the skin and you becoming jumpy and paranoid.....I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH!!!! and I also have 'noises' that drive me nuts as well and I basically go out of my way to avoid it and I'm actually looking at buying sensory calming products like the special sensory earmuffs, the weighted blanket and the rocking recliner etc etc.

Tell me what noises annoy you...I'd be interested.

Selena:)
I know this seems crazy, but I hate to get my hair washed, I know that it needs to be done but it aggravates the mess out of me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind taking a bath, it's a necessity. It's just that when I go to wash my hair, and water touches my scalp and neck, it is so irritating. I've always kind of felt this way, and I didn't realize it until I read how ADHD people may have some sensory integration issues. I really don't know if their are ways to handle the sensory issues surrounding ADHD. But if there are, I would really like to know where to go and who helps us deal with these issues.

I also have problems with certain things touching my skin, and the sensations making me jump or seem rather paranoid. And then there's the sound issues. Noise of any kind can sort of drive me nuts.

Well just wondering if anyone else experiences this, and if so how do you deal with it?
What do you do?

Yolanda

bandie08
01-31-07, 02:55 PM
Fireworks, Vacum cleaner, Saws, OUT OF TUNE INSTRUMENTS (AKA Flute) I don't mind Band though I love it. I might have a little bit of sensory integration I hate tags in shirts I always had that problem.

Sargon
01-31-07, 03:04 PM
Blowing air. I don't like air blowing on me!

yolanda
01-31-07, 05:23 PM
Tell me what noises annoy you...I'd be interested.

Noises that annoy me:

Birds chirping
Refrigerator noises
Washing machine
Air Blowing (I don't even like alot of it touching me)
People chewing
Me chewing
Dogs Barking
Plastic Bags moving
Vaccum cleaner
Dishwasher
People chit-chatting (I ride the bus, this is a real problem)
Sounds that cars make (can't name it, but I hate it)
Babie's crying (I am repulsed by this one)

I mean, it's all type of things that just get under my skin, that's probably why I hardly leave the house!

I do wish some of it would go away though.

Yolanda

Crazygirl79
02-01-07, 03:02 AM
Hi Yolanda.

There's not a lot you can do about most of the noises but for the one where people are chit chatting on the bus, it might help to get a CD walkman with your favourite CD's and use it while on the bus, this will block out the sound of people chatting...trust me it works I've done this.

Selena:)
Noises that annoy me:

Birds chirping
Refrigerator noises
Washing machine
Air Blowing (I don't even like alot of it touching me)
People chewing
Me chewing
Dogs Barking
Plastic Bags moving
Vaccum cleaner
Dishwasher
People chit-chatting (I ride the bus, this is a real problem)
Sounds that cars make (can't name it, but I hate it)

I mean, it's all type of things that just get under my skin, that's probably why I hardly leave the house!

I do wish some of it would go away though.

Yolanda

bandie08
01-01-08, 04:16 AM

same i dont want kids because i dont want to hear wahhhhh all night.

Arei
01-07-08, 09:38 AM
I absolutely hate washing my hair (takes too long) and if it irritated me i'd never do it X_X *emits rays of greasy hair stink*

I have a similar issue with wet clothes, I hate wearing slightly damp clothes taken out of the dryer. I've had that problem for as long as I can remember X_X Its annoying as can be, and I miss my school that had hand dryers, cuz I have no way of drying them XP

Lunacie
01-07-08, 03:18 PM
I have sensory issues but don't think having a wet head is really one of them. My youngest granddaughter has been given a tentative diagnosis of Autism and she HATES having her hair washed. She doesn't seem to have as many sensory issues as her sister and I do, so I hadn't really thought about this possibly being a sensory issue. Something to think about.

Jillette
05-11-08, 09:24 PM
My 8 year old hates the shower for the same reason hates the water spraying on her head she prefers a bath.