View Full Version : Working Memory Improvement?

kc07
02-03-07, 05:29 PM
It seems like there are programs (mostly computer) that help ADD'ers with working memory (such as cogmed), but they are costly. But the underlying idea seems to be that by improving a person's working memory the person has a better way of manipulating information (and not getting distracted); it seems that by improving working memory that other cognitive abilities may improve as well.

Has anyone tried cogmed? Has anyone tried doing working memory exercises on a daily basis such as ones found online or in Brainwaves books?

Part of my ADD seems to be being unable to manipulate information in front of me quickly and effectively--bad when reading a book, doing a tough problem on a stadardized test, etc. Any ideas/resources on improving working memory?

oddjobace
02-03-07, 06:58 PM
I don't know about it. But I do think that if I crammed anything else in my head, it would be all that much more that would pop up in my head when I become distracted.

I have been taking meds now and took a test with them and noticed that the information that I needed to know for the test was readily available.

Unmedicated, I would have been looking at the multitude of angles in which to solve the problems with all of the information that I had bouncing around my head.

oddjobace
02-03-07, 06:59 PM
Multiple angles is not always a good thing

Isaiah
02-04-07, 02:46 AM
Working memory is my most prominent ADD symptom.

The only resource I have seen that claims to do anything for its improvement is Cogmed and that appears to be designed for children. I am skeptical that improving working memory would do anything in terms of increasing IQ, which largely seems to be spatial and logical reasoning ability. However, working memory is probably the key to using one's intelligence effectively.

I am very interested in this as well. My own treatment of ADD has just begun, so I don't have any experience to share. If you do something for its improvement beyond medication, please post a follow up.

kc07
02-05-07, 01:52 AM
Isaiah (and others interested),

I will definitely post a follow up. I sent some emails to those associated with robomem (cogmed) and I'm waiting to hear back. One email I did receive said that what mattered when doing cognitive exercises was the variety--real life demands, visual, and auditory. Unfortunately, the author could not reveal what types of exercises the computer programs used. What also matters is increasing difficulty (to "stretch" the brain), and assessing one's performance.

I'm going to find as many types of exercise that deal with mentally manipulating/remembering data for immediate use and do them on a daily basis. I hope to keep a log and/or journal and post the results. We'll see.