View Full Version : I have sensory issues too...

netsavy006
02-07-07, 02:05 PM
As an Aspie, I know what it's like to have sensory problems. Mine is with the virual aspects. Mostly with brighter colors. I can tolerate the lower tones fine. It's just bright tones and hues that I have trouble looking at for very long. If I have to be around them I have too look down or somewhere that color isn't because otherwize I fear an anxiety attack. This is my experence with sensory issues and I think the risperdal helps a good deal with it.

Andy...

Matt S.
02-07-07, 03:50 PM
I hate sounds I have the hypersensitivity for a different reason than Asperger's myself but I imagine the frustration of sensory impacts the same system I can say Dexedrine is my sensory "savior" noises don't irritate me or distract me as long as I take it and that is my helper.

speedo
02-07-07, 10:43 PM
Sounds are the big issue for me. Bright lights are something that I don't like. Scent is sometimes a problem, but not very often.

Me :D

Crazy~Feet
02-08-07, 01:18 AM
My biggest issue is olfactory hypersensitivity. I can and will become ill if I am made to endure what I term "stenches" (I say this because often other people cannot even detect the smells that I can) and if I cannot flee the scene I will have an anxiety attack. Risperdal, and now Abilify, ease this problem a great deal.

I am also hypersensitive to lights and sounds to some extent. If I get overloaded I begin to hear people's breathing as though it were a freight train. I am terribly hyposensitive to pain and heat, so I have to be rather careful that I do not hurt myself or ignore the signs of a serious illness.

Crazygirl79
02-08-07, 05:01 AM
My sensory issues are mainly certain sounds, tactile and occasionally eating...I can't think of the other things now

Matt S.
02-08-07, 08:42 AM
I tend to smell "death" myself and it's disturbing to know that a person is going to die because of the "stench", I can tell when animals are dying before they do too. It's probably part of the hypervigilance that comes with PTSD because I get accurately suspicious really early about certain people and expressing it comes accross as "paranoid"

Crazy~Feet
02-08-07, 09:10 AM
I tend to smell "death" myself and it's disturbing to know that a person is going to die because of the "stench", I can tell when animals are dying before they do too. It's probably part of the hypervigilance that comes with PTSD because I get accurately suspicious really early about certain people and expressing it comes accross as "paranoid" Better to look a bit paranoid than clean out of your mind...I cannot tell you how many times I was just GAGGING on some stench that nobody else could detect! Fortunately (or unfortunately) my child--the member called Spacemania--has the same hypersensitivity. Its always just a barrel of laughs to go out to eat somewhere and go "Do you smell that? What IS that?? Stinks like burning garbage and wet dog..." :D

netsavy006
02-08-07, 09:25 AM
Crazy~Feet, how old is your child? (Spacemania)?

Crazy~Feet
02-08-07, 09:33 AM
However old she is, she seems to think she is around 28 and knows more than I do :rolleyes:.

netsavy006
02-08-07, 01:04 PM
What do you mean however old she is? Isn't she your child?

netsavy006
02-08-07, 01:05 PM
I think my aspieness is not helping me understand what you are talking about CF. I think your gonna have to explain it all to me again. Sorry...

Crazy~Feet
02-08-07, 01:41 PM
I think my aspieness is not helping me understand what you are talking about CF. I think your gonna have to explain it all to me again. Sorry...No worries Andy, I am being intentionally obtuse about her age since she has joined the forum :)

Matt S.
02-08-07, 01:58 PM
I sense odd things at times, I tend to notice being followed a lot and sounds are pretty nuts for me. Those corderoy pants are articles of clothing that I cannot tolerate as far as the noise they make when your legs rub up against each other. My only phobia is of butterflies (haven't the slightest clue why). And I have a keen sense of intrusiveness in people I encounter I am not nice to people who are overly concerned with me. I currently have a neighbor who is a psychotic bipolar I disorder currently manic (with the psychotic boost) referring to me as the "AntiChrist", she spends 16 hours a day laying on her kitchen counter listening to everything I am doing and saying. She is relatively obsessed with me. The way I can describe her to give anyone a sense of what she is like is 'Alex' (Glenn Close) from the movie Fatal Attraction after being awake for two weeks on methamphetamine. I am moving soon because of it. PTSD can really make that situation worsen at the most important time to have self control, and short acting dexedrine has to be precisely timed to prevent a mouth-fest because although this girl will scream biblical quotes for 6 days straight for the whole period, make a pass at me the day after and then, she's in 'shotgun' mode again. It really is more like psychotic borderline personality disorder. She already has me PTSD-ing the situation to the moon. But I will get a new apartment soon, and it will be more than just cheap.

xstarchildx
02-08-07, 05:44 PM
I just took an aspie test.....
Version R1.0 Thank you for filling out this questionnaire.

Your Aspie score: 119 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 91 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I'm lost what does this mean? can you get help with it?

dormammau2008
02-09-07, 07:21 PM
werres link to this tests starcild
#

dorm

xstarchildx
02-09-07, 07:45 PM
werres link to this tests starcild
#

dorm
Whoops http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

I got it off this forum

becka
02-10-07, 12:30 AM
Thank you for filling out this questionnaire.

Your Aspie score: 164 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

That's an interesting questionare! Some of the items are there are so accurate to me that it's kinda makin me paranoid.

Do recently heard phrases, tunes or rhythms tend to stick and repeat themselves in your head?

Enough that I've actually, over the years, formed a habit of thinking to myself "you can really stop repeating that now"... except that THAT repeats as well. It bugs me, but I'm kinda used to it.. again, something I never would have mentioned to anyone, even my doctor. So very interesting (to me) to see asked in a semi-massive questionare.

Scattered
02-10-07, 12:35 AM
I've got a book I'm reading called The ADHD/Autism Connection. You might find it interesting. It's written by a mom who has ADHD kids and an Aspie.

Scattered

becka
02-10-07, 11:18 AM
The thing about questionares/tests like that is of course, they are a bit general(?), or perhaps even misleading (although not on purpose, in all cases). I am fairly certain that I am not Aspie at all, yet I scored well into the higher numbers on that. I think that some of the behaviours/tendencies on that list can also be related to some of the patterns that might be developed by an ADDer because of the issues related to the AD/HD. Just as one example.. I tend to hyperfocus with just a couple of interests (which rotate on occasion), but I think this is due to the fact that my attention is easily pulled away by things I don't necessarily enjoy.. and then it gets caught and "trapped" by the thing I'm interested in. Why trapped? Because it's fun, of course. They're usually challenging activities, but not so challenging that it causes anxiety; ie: video games, drawing, working on websites, etc.

I would like to read more about this, though... Scattered, what's the name of the author of that book?

Scattered
02-10-07, 12:32 PM
I would like to read more about this, though... Scattered, what's the name of the author of that book?The ADHD Autism Connection is written by Diane Kennedy.

I agree with you analysis that you don't have to be an Aspie to score high on that test. I took it and got a 90 out of 200. A lot of the answers though are clearly due to my ADD -- but if it's viewed as a continuum which more researchers are looking at than one might have more or less of those traits that overlap.

Scattered

netsavy006
02-10-07, 01:06 PM
Yea. I remember taking that Aspie test and I don't remember where I had found it. I need the link again so I can take it and get a score...

I just took an aspie test.....
Version R1.0 Thank you for filling out this questionnaire.

Your Aspie score: 119 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I'm lost what does this mean? can you get help with it?

netsavy006
02-10-07, 01:07 PM
Never mind. didn't see your other post w/ the link before posting this...

netsavy006
02-10-07, 01:21 PM
Here is my score:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/image001.gif

Version R1.0
Thank you for filling out this questionnaire.

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 87 of 200

netsavy006
02-10-07, 01:22 PM
Very likely, more like do...

Desert Dweller
02-15-07, 07:00 PM
I answered the quesiton and hit next page and it stays on the same page. I wonder if its brokern

speedo
02-15-07, 09:37 PM
Try this link instead...

http://www.rdos.net/eng/

My current score:

Your Aspie score: 98 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 78 of 200
You are both Aspie and neurotypical

I'm dx'd with adhd. I think my sensory issues push the aspie score up a bit.
ME :D

netsavy006
02-16-07, 06:05 PM
I am an aspie so I think my dx from this site is accurate:
Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 87 of 200
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 06:46 PM
I am an aspie so I think my dx from this site is accurate:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> Heh I scored higher than you did!

speedo
02-16-07, 06:49 PM
The thing I like about this test is that it makes me think about myself, and that causes me to ask myself why I am so different from "normal" people. I have so many traits that seem so autistic, but yet I know that I am not. I think this kind of feature overlap is really common between ADHD and AS. I know the two are decidedly different disorders, but the similar symptoms in so many areas are remarkable. It leads me to understand why some claim a link between AS and ADHD...

Me :D

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 06:51 PM
The thing I like about this test is that it makes me think about myself, and that causes me to ask myself why I am so different from "normal" people. I have so many traits that seem so autistic, but yet I know that I am not. I think this kind of feature overlap is really common between ADHD and AS. I know the two are decidedly different disorders, but the similar symptoms in so many areas are remarkable. It leads me to understand why some claim a link between AS and ADHD...

Me :DI told ya bro, its Brain Pudding [(c) Crazy~Feet @ ADDF]...its all mixed up and still works at some level.

Crazygirl79
02-16-07, 08:35 PM
Considering I have SID...I scored pretty low on those aspie tests...I have ADHD as well, so I must be just nuts...LMAO

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 08:51 PM
Considering I have SID...I scored pretty low on those aspie tests...I have ADHD as well, so I must be just nuts...LMAOS'ok kiddo, we like ya just the same without the little drop of autism some of us have ;).

BananaSlip
02-16-07, 10:02 PM
Your Aspie score: 117 of 200
You are both Aspie and neurotypical

I'd say my ADD and social phobia upped my score.

Crazygirl79
02-17-07, 01:50 AM
LMAO at Crazy Feet...thanks for the kind words:) at 13 I was incorrectly dxd with mild ASD but after Mum's relentless research it turns out that I have a severe overdose of ADHD along with the added extras of Mild Tics and Reactive Depression....2 years ago after I did some further research I also find out that I have SID as well which I've had all my ******* life and that was the MAJOR cause of most of my issues...LMAO, so technically I'm not ASD but some of my SID symptoms are similar....while I'm here, it's highly suspected that my step-grandfather is an Aspie, Daddy is suspected of having ADHD, Mummy has suspected SID as well as a dxd Anxiety Disorder and Little Bro has very mild ADD with suspected ODD...so yeah I come from a neuro-diverse family:D :p

Cheers
Selena:D

S'ok kiddo, we like ya just the same without the little drop of autism some of us have ;).

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:45 PM
What is Reactive Depression?

Crazygirl79
02-19-07, 02:14 AM
Savy..Reactive Depression is like situational depression....like I only get severely depressed sometimes to the point of suicidal in extremely stressful situations and I therefore react with depression, it's like a form of learnt response.

Selena

netsavy006
02-19-07, 08:26 PM
Thank you. I googled it but the results were unhelpful in explaining it...