View Full Version : Help peer pressure

bandie08
02-09-07, 11:16 AM
My friend hes asking me to bring Adderall to school on monday but I don't know what to do I don't want to get suspended but I don't want to let him down either. If I don't then he wont be my friend anymore. HELP I have never been suspended in my life. He says hes ADHD but I think he wants to get High off of it.

routhy
02-09-07, 02:28 PM
Say no. If he's not going to be your friend anymore because you refuse to give him drugs then he isn't a real friend.

QueensU_girl
02-09-07, 05:04 PM
How to cope, realistically, with this situation, skill-wise...

TELL HIM THAT YOUR PARENTS COUNT YOUR PILLS.

SCRIPT:

He says to you: "well, you can give me your Afternoon Dose. I know you keep it in your knapsack... Noone will know."

Then you say: But my Parents and Teachers will know. If I gave away my day's meds -- I will become Spacey and have ADD symptoms showing at school and home. ;)

(The fact that you are having to explain yourself to your "friend" bothers me. But that should get him off your back and shut him up.)

-----------------------

Overall message: I guess he is not your friend if he is asking you to violate your personal boundaries. (I'll bet he has you do favors for him that he does not do for you, too, right? Power imbalances tend to occur when someone asks you to violate your boundaries and/or tries to take advantage of a "friend". Don't give in, or he will respect you less and less.)

This isn't a friend. It's called a 'bully'. (He is co-ercing, or pressuring you.)

------------------------------
THINGS TO THINK about:

#1 Doing this could jeopardize your ability to receive treatment (eg meds) if your Doctor find out that you are going to do it.

Selling/sharing your meds is called "diversion". (Your Doctor's licence would be on the line, too. He is not allowed to keep Prescribing meds if he knows you are giving away your meds to OTHERS.)

#2: Are you willing to risk your ability to be trusted? Are you willing to lose your ability to get a "controlled" or narcotic medication [in the future], which you need?
(Then you'd be suffering b/c of the "friend" (Fri-enemy/bully).

#3: Also too, if your friend has a heart attack or stroke (yes they happen to kids, too), you could be held responsible. (Autopsies can find drugs that someone took. They do blood tests. Then they start looking around "hmmm, who had access to Adderall? Oh, that friend of his takes it...")

#4: Need any more reasons why?

---------

What a good post. I really empathize with peer pressure and bullies.

xstarchildx
02-09-07, 06:16 PM
Hi Bandie08 i gotta agree with both routhy and queens!!

You wrote"but I don't want to let him down either"

Well he's let you down as a friend because if he was a friend he wouldn't of asked in the first place.

Another 1 is, isn't it illegal?
or if you did give your friend it and he had a bad reaction to it, then that would be dangerous!!! like queens said.

you'd never forgive yourself if something happened to him.........:(

DON'T DO IT!!!!

bandie08
02-09-07, 08:32 PM
yeah he also askes me if I have any snacks or soda and he takes some of it and stuff like that.

Swede63
02-09-07, 09:21 PM
I agree with Queens suggestions.

MeGgHeAd
02-10-07, 01:40 AM
yeah he also askes me if I have any snacks or soda and he takes some of it and stuff like that.
Sounds like a mooch and a bully. If he has ADHD, he should go talk to his doctor about getting his own prescription. You won't get suspended for having YOUR prescription medication at school, but you could potentially get in trouble if you shared it.

When my brother was in high school, he had such bad anxiety about having/taking his meds at school that he would go home for lunch and take them there.

Hope this doesn't cause you too much grief Bandie08!

livinginchaos
02-10-07, 02:00 AM
bandie,

It is illegal to give someone your prescribed meds. I agree with all the other people who replied to you.

One more thing, if he doesn't want to be friends because you won't give him meds (or anything else for that matter), then he is NOT a true friend.

Courtney

routhy
02-10-07, 10:07 AM
yeah he also askes me if I have any snacks or soda and he takes some of it and stuff like that.Ditch him or tell him to sort himself out, he is just taking advantage of you.

boone1
02-13-07, 06:52 PM
Everyone here is right, don't give in to peer pressure. Be brave and stand up for yourself, sometimes it can be hard because some bullies are clever and bully you mentally instead of physically, mental bullying can be much more hurtful in the long run.Don't let your so called "friend" think that you will do anything he asks. Friendships work both ways.

Would he be willing to risk being suspended for you?