View Full Version : Am I the only adult using Daytrana???

i12baSurgeon
02-09-07, 01:45 PM
I am 24, and have since been using Daytrana for over 2 months now. I use the 30mg patch, and wear it from 7am to roughly 8/9pm daily. I can't seem to find any other adults using this. Is anyone out there? I have many more concerns in relation to daytrana and treatment of adult ADHD, but I want to be sure there are others using Daytrana before I go into futher depth.

I am hoping this post does not create an echo.

netsavy006
02-09-07, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the forums i12baSurgeon. I'm sorry but I've never read of adults taking it yet as I don't know if it's FDA approved yet for Adults, but I'm sure there are plenty (maybe not on the forums) who are using it..

krispers
02-10-07, 02:17 AM
I am 24, and have since been using Daytrana for over 2 months now. I use the 30mg patch, and wear it from 7am to roughly 8/9pm daily. I can't seem to find any other adults using this. Is anyone out there? I have many more concerns in relation to daytrana and treatment of adult ADHD, but I want to be sure there are others using Daytrana before I go into futher depth.

I started on Adderall back in November... Because I've had WLS i don't absorb all the med and it metabolizes quicker than normal peoples.... Also.. i tended to forget to take my 3rd dose... so my doc put me on the daytrana patch... Unfortunately i had 2 side effects i dind't like... 1... i would burn under the patch... (adhessive/tape allergy) and 2. it truly put me to sleep!!! i could sleep at any given moment!! haha

so...back on Adderall I went... thing is... just found out today that my bp is tooooo high... 140/104... so my shrink told me to STOP until i see him in 2 weeks and we'll figure SOMETHING out.... I guess I can buck up... deal with the rash.. and the sleepies... think i'd rather be tired than have the headaches... blurry vision ..and pounding heart!

What is so sad... i love the focus i get... just hate all the side effects... :(

nzkiwi
02-10-07, 02:39 AM
I think the daytrana patch would be great. Put it on in the morning, take it off in time to go to bed. I think the only reason it isn't used in adults more often is price. Keep searching the web, you should be able to find adults who have experience using it.

bretthammer2000
02-10-07, 02:05 PM
Hey i12baSurgeon you are not the only one. I am a 25 year old male and I am on it. When the doctor first mentioned the patch to replace taking multiple doses of adderall a day I laughed and said no thanks, but then I came home and thought what the heck I would check out the website. None the less next time I went in I brought it up and we made the switch. I was on adderall xr 15mg 2 times a day and a 5mg Adderall regular doasge when needed as well as Wellbturin xl 300mg(not generic which just came out, generics stink in my opinion because only 80% of what the name brands dosage needs to be released, and not to mention they were the size of horse pills). So far its been great I dont have to worry about timing up my next dose of Adderall so I dont have to worry get that up and down feeling when its starting to wear off. I like how daytrana is easier to use and lasts all day. I also like how it tingles a little at first just to let me know its working. It also doesen't give you that hyper focus you get from adderall once in a while. Its great to have a drug that lasts all day, (the wear only 9 hours warning was just put on there to make the FDA approve it) believe me its the first once a day all day drug for ADHD that I have found yet. One last thing before I go is I find it interesting that the drug was/is approved for children and not adults when children are the ones that seem to be having problems with it(forgetting to take it off, not sticking properly, peeling it off and such) and it has been benificial to the few adults out there who are on it just my .02 cents:)!!!

Fuu!
02-11-07, 12:01 AM
I'm 23 and on Daytrana as well.

I was formerly on Adderall, but I metabolize it so quickly the xr would stop working in 1.5-2 hours. I really liked the patch, and it was a lot less harsher than adderall. Unfortunatly in the last month I can't wear it for more than 3 hours without getting really anxious. It really sucks because the patch was working so well before that. :\ Maybe I need a lower dose.

donnasuejoy
10-15-09, 05:10 PM
I was just prescribed this yesterday by my Psychiatrist. I had been on Ritalin 20mg 4 x a day and for some reason it quit working. I was on that same dosage for about 8 yrs. The last 3 months I have been on Vyvanse 70mg. For some reason it quit working,too. I was losing time and could not complete simple tasks. Anyone still on this? I just put on the 15mg patch this a.m. It says it is only supposed to last for 9 hrs.--so am I to apply a 2nd patch for this afternoon/evening? I prob. will have to--Anyone with feedback?

wifeandmom
10-15-09, 08:20 PM
For those who have been on the patch a while:

My DD used Daytrana when she was in her mid-teens. It was new then and we didn't realize that over time, the body's absorption of the medication increases. So it's very likely you need to step down in your dose. The manufacturer says not to cut the patch to reduce the dose, but I've read on several physicians' web sites that you can cut the patch to adjust dosing. One even pointed on that the patch has already been cut by the manufacturer, so it's obviously OK to do. Your dose wouldn't be precise, but it would give you an idea of whether lower would be better. Here's some more discussion I posted last month, with a link to a site with more information.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=780206#post780206

In our experience, the patch lasts at least 12 hours. It takes about three hours for the medication to clear out of your system after removal.

Momofadder
10-17-09, 01:23 AM
I was just prescribed this yesterday by my Psychiatrist. I had been on Ritalin 20mg 4 x a day and for some reason it quit working. I was on that same dosage for about 8 yrs. The last 3 months I have been on Vyvanse 70mg. For some reason it quit working,too. I was losing time and could not complete simple tasks. Anyone still on this? I just put on the 15mg patch this a.m. It says it is only supposed to last for 9 hrs.--so am I to apply a 2nd patch for this afternoon/evening? I prob. will have to--Anyone with feedback?

If you apply a 2nd patch....you won't make it through the month. You only get 30 in a box. It is a great medicine.

Momofadder
10-17-09, 01:26 AM

My son uses it. He is 17. Not really a kid but not really an adult either. After trying many meds, this is the best one for him. Very smooth and no come down. A lot more control than a time release pill and does not kill the appetite terribly.

GlamourDollXoXo
11-28-09, 01:28 PM
I'm a 21 year-old female college student and I just started using the Daytrana patch 15 mg on Wednesday. I was taking 18 mg of concerta but after taking that for 5 months I felt that it was wearing off too quickly and by the time I would be done with classes and sitting down to do homework at 5 or 6 I could not get focused. My friend who is on the daytrana patch recommended it to me so I asked my psychiatrist if we could try it instead of me having to take two concerta pills in a day which allows for a lot more flexibility. As of now I have no complaints except for the minor skin irritation that I have from time to time, but overall I feel the daytrana patch is more effective then concerta was and if all goes well I would like to stay on the patch if my insurance will cover it.

JLSW
10-21-10, 07:26 PM
I was prescribed this today, because of the rough comedown from methylin and I can't tolerate Concerta well. My insurer doesn't want to cover it, presumably because its for kids? Does anyone else get it covered by insurance as an adult? It is $uper pricey!

HappyTaxa
11-06-10, 04:16 PM
Hey guys I'm 26 and I've been using this for about 2 years. I really like it because I can stop the medication when I don't need it. When I use some of the oral medications my blood pressure goes up so this was a good option.

gonavy
11-13-10, 12:12 AM
JLSW...my psychiatrist told me to get around insurance not wanting to pay for it, he had to tell them that I had tried several other medications to no effect. Must have worked because I picked up my scrip this week and it only cost me $22.

Alex9
01-04-11, 04:59 PM
This is an old thread but I'll comment anyways.

Im 16 and I asked my doctor about daytrana because its supposedly very long lasting, and he said "No, that stuff is only for little kids who cant swallow pills." lol

sterling818
02-05-11, 11:11 AM
I am 35 and I used the Daytrana patch for 2 months. It can be effective for adults, it just wasn't the right medication for me. I also developed a sensitivity to the adhesive. I tried it because I've had gastric bypass and don't absorb pills very well. Prrscribing it to adults is sometimes considered "off market" use to some insurance companies and they won't cover it. I know this doesn't help you much but I just wanted you to know that I've taken it as an adult. :)