View Full Version : I'm sure someone will know....

xyser
02-09-07, 08:39 PM
Okay. So much to say, but I'm not sure how to say it all.

During my younger years(elemetery school/middle school) I had these "learning disablilities." The teachers(and ERC..speical ed teachers?) didn't quite know what they were and I still don't know what they are. My mom finally got me tested again for ADHD, which I have. I just "knew" I have a problem with attention(...i can't descrive quite how i knew, but..it like shouted it out). Freshman year this lady tested me and she told me I might have boarderline add, but my mom didn't want me to get tested again...I don't know why.

Can ADHD cause all theses things(that have gone away, but are still somewhat present):I can't always say what I want...I know the word, but it doesn't come out, reading is slow....nothing new, my hand writting is horrible, in ele school i couldn't prounce "R", "S", and "F"s, I'd read a line in my book but then I couldn't "find" the next line(i can't describe how much confusion that cuased...Have I read this line before??), it's hard for me to express myself sometimes, bad spelling...but I've learned many words from instant messanger.

I just don't know. Could my ADHD have cuases all these problems or are there other learning problems? I've thought that I might have dex, but they have never said anything about that...(differnet tests then add?). I'd just like to finally learn what caused all my problems...

I never have had those problems of reading words backwords or some of the other major dex indecators(at least i don't think), but are there different levels of dex(dyslexia) or maybe it could be something else?

I'm starting medications today or tomarrow....along with different coucing skills and such. I would just like to be like....:OH..so that's why i struggle so much, it's beacuse of ____[enter reason]. It's just nice to know what's going on in my brain. Now i have a reason to be a spaz though, so i don't think i'm just hyper 24/7. I don't move 24/7 but i have impulsiveness and like i'm always "on the go" or whatever, so that's why the ADD clinic have told me that i have adhd instead of add? idk.

any ideas??

xyser
02-09-07, 08:59 PM
oh yeah. one more thing: IF i take meds and i just have ADHD, will my problems go away or could they just be like life skills that i suck with? i was taken out of classes for different things while growing up...maybe i just didn't learn what i was suppose to?? idk.. gezz

jeaniebug
02-09-07, 09:22 PM
Okay. I can't always say what I want...I know the word, but it doesn't come out, reading is slow....nothing new, my hand writting is horrible, in elementary school I couldn't pronunce "R", "S", and "F"s, I'd read a line in my book but then I couldn't "find" the next line(i can't describe how much confusion that cuased...Have I read this line before??), it's hard for me to express myself sometimes, bad spelling...but I've learned many words from instant messanger.

I just don't know. Could my ADHD cause all these problems or are there other learning problems? I've thought that I might have dislexia, but they have never said anything about that...(different tests than add?). I'd just like to finally learn what caused all my problems...
xyser,

My daughter was diagnosed with a learning disorder where she had what they told me was a word storage and retrieval problem. It seems like they called it "disnomia" (not sure of spelling) but don't remember exactly what it was called. My ex H has it as well. He will be looking out the window at the sky and what he means to say is, "it looks like it will be partly cloudy." What he *actually* says is, "I think we are having sun spots." :eyebrow: I knew what he meant, but he couldn't say what he meant a lot of the time. So like you said, the right word won't come out.

BTW, "S," and "F" are hard sounds to learn. My daughter (who is hearing impaired) had a lot of trouble with these, because they are high frequency sounds--made with lips and tongue and not vocal cords. If your hearing is fine, they may still take time to learn.

So if you have been diagnosed and are starting meds you must have gone through testing with a doctor, and must have tested positive for ADHD.

And no, medication will not make your problems go away, but they will allow your brain to function more normally. An interesting book on this is Dr. Amen's "Healing ADD." I got it at Barnes and Noble, but any bookstore should have it. Lots of pictures. He does brain scans called SPECT scans that shows "This is your brain with ADHD" and then "This is the same brain after taking medication." It is quite startling to see the comparisons. If you have trouble reading, it is a good book because of the pictures. :o

There are all kinds of good books out there. You have to get yourself organized. You might want to get a coach or therapist to learn how to overcome some problems such as procrastination, and you will still *have* ADHD even when you are taking meds. But your brain should work "better." This is a great place to find information on a huge variety of topics. Good luck and--

WELCOME !!

xyser
02-09-07, 09:40 PM
that's pretty intresting :D
yeah, i don't know. just so many new things and stuff.

Swede63
02-09-07, 10:25 PM
Welcome:)

Keep us posted on how the meds and coaching goes.

QueensU_girl
02-16-07, 01:40 PM
Dysnomia would be "inability to name" [things].