View Full Version : Facial Tics made worse by meds

Scattered
02-11-07, 01:43 AM
Just need to vent a bit. I've always had a few tics -- I make a funny involuntary sound in my throat and have an eye flutter. Neither was constant or a problem for me. I have a brother who has Tourettes and all my siblings have various tics.<O:p</O:p

Anyway, Concerta didn't cause any problem with my tics and may even have reduced them a bit, until I started Prozac last summer. Three weeks into it I developed this jaw moving thing, bad eye twitch, cheeks sucked in, and so forth. I got off the Prozac and the tics gradually lessened; however, now whenever I take Concerta or caffeine or am anxious the jaw moving thing starts again. Yesterday, I was so far behind on my house and feeling so restless inside that I took a Concerta. Wow, it was wonderful!!! I felt calm and got tons of work done. Even my husband complemented me on how nice the house looked, but as the meds started to wear off the jaw thing got really bad. Now for some strange reason I'm not that bothered by how I look (although my husband tells me it's pretty bad), as I am by the fact that it makes my jaw very tired, tense, and sore.
<O:p</O:p
It's just so frustrating to have such gain from taking meds, but at such a high price. I really regret trying Prozac, even though I learned a lot about myself on it. I miss my side effect free days on Concerta very much! I miss my caffeine too. It's especially frustating since I brought it on myself unwittingly by adding a second med. :mad: I didn't take any meds today and still my jaw is sore. I guess I'll try some Brandy, sometimes that helps a bit.:(
<V:p</V:p<O:p</O:p
Scattered<O:p</O:p

netsavy006
02-15-07, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way. But I know you know the drill. Speak to the doctor about it. I've heard there is an anti-hypertensive called Clonidine that can be used for tics... Best of Luck...

Andy...

Nova
02-15-07, 03:57 PM
Scatt,

I'm really sorry for your physical pain.

Maybe you can talk with your Doc, about trying a non-stim type 'focal' med...

Either way, don't take any more Concerta until you talk with your Doc.

Scattered
02-15-07, 05:44 PM
Thanks you guys -- I talked to my psychologist and he recommends that I just give up on the Concerta even though it works well -- that the pain and tics just aren't worth it. He doesn't think there is a lot of point in pursuing other stimulent medications (nor do I), since even caffeine and herbal stimulent now trigger the tics. I'm pretty leery of all medication at this point quite honestly. I had researched Prozac ad infimitum before taking it and got an atypical and very problematic result. I'm sticking with diet, Omega III fish oils, a multivitamin, exercise and keeping my stress down. My psychologist told me I'm going to need to lower my expectations for my house and such (trying selling that one to my husband! He's been patient, but he really would like to be able to invite folks over!). Anyway, I'll try to find another way to keep things livable, if not perfect for us!

I appreciate the feedback -- I was just feeling very frustrated, but hey, this is my life, might as well make the best of it I can. I did it for 44 years without medication. It might be more challenging but I can do it again (by God's grace!). At least now, I understand what I'm up against!;)

I just signed up for John Ratey's six week course on the psychothereputic benefits of exercise -- maybe I'll learn something interesting and helpful as well as motivational!:)

Scattered

Nova
02-15-07, 09:12 PM
Hey...
That's why they invented 'cleaning services'.

You're husband didn't marry you for your house cleaning 'talents', and if 'matters' were reversed, he wouldn't hesitate to utilize any services that he deemed necessary.

Use your phone book, Scatt.
That's why those were invented, also.

Scattered
02-16-07, 07:30 PM
Hey...
That's why they invented 'cleaning services'.

You're husband didn't marry you for your house cleaning 'talents', and if 'matters' were reversed, he wouldn't hesitate to utilize any services that he deemed necessary.

Use your phone book, Scatt.
That's why those were invented, also.Thanks, Nova!:)

Nova
02-16-07, 08:49 PM
If I lived closer to you, I'd come over and help you, in whatever you needed help with.

Sincerely.

Scattered
02-17-07, 11:40 PM
If I lived closer to you, I'd come over and help you, in whatever you needed help with.

Sincerely.That's awfully sweet!:) We're such a disaster sometimes -- come from 4 ADDers living together, I guess. Yesterday, within the space of about an hour my oldest jumped on the kitchen counter and accidentally broke off the kitchen faucet, my husband blew a gasket, my oldest wet her pants, and my youngest pooped hers! So you can see how exponentially the mess grows -- that's besides all the regular mess of books, toys, laundry and such!:rolleyes: I'm sure neurotypicals can't even began to relate!

Have a Happy!
Scattered

Nova
02-18-07, 12:09 AM
Maybe your husband can buy the 'gasket' that he 'blew' at the same home repair store, as the kitchen faucet. (0;

I will have a happy day.
Tell your family I said for each of them to have 'one' also...each day.