View Full Version : Am I normal...well, you know what I mean!

Buttercup
02-12-07, 05:59 PM
Has anyone else felt an incredible urgency right after dx? I get the feeling of "I've suffered too long with this! I want help NOW!!!!!" It's kind of obsessive. Is this bad?

Thanks!!

Imnapl
02-12-07, 11:18 PM
That probably depends upon how long you were undiagnosed and what coping skills or support you have in place. I spent at least a year researching what ADHD was before I even sought a diagnosis. I was put on a trial of meds right away so a diagnosis was more a sense of relief than urgency. The meds kicked in right away and that was the missing link. Was your diagnosis a surprise for you?

~boots~
02-13-07, 03:30 AM
That probably depends upon how long you were undiagnosed and what coping skills or support you have in place. I spent at least a year researching what ADHD was before I even sought a diagnosis. I was put on a trial of meds right away so a diagnosis was more a sense of relief than urgency. The meds kicked in right away and that was the missing link. Was your diagnosis a surprise for you?me too...I was positive I had it too, and did the reasearch for years..

I hope you don't get too anxious, as help is just around the corner now you have the help and the DX

Buttercup
02-13-07, 12:17 PM
I was diagnosed about 2 months ago. I am 37.

A few years ago, the mother of my then boyfriend told me that she thought I had it. I took it as an insult considering that relationship was abusive & controlling. I was always getting critism from that family, very often regarding the ADD behaviors, of course, but also other things.

Example: I've had a hearing deficit all of my life & it was only about 10 years ago did I actually come to terms with it & structure my life to accommodate it. Ex's sister (24): "Oh, I forgot, your deaf". Arghh!!

I REFUSED to believe I had ADD. I've always been like this. Deal with it, I am (well I'm actually suffering with it)

THEN, I had a child (with said ex) & stopped working. The abuse got worse (verbal & emotional, not physical) & I sunk into a deep depression with thoughts of suicide to escape my daily hell. My GP put me on 75mg of Effexor XR & that buoyed me enough to leave him. This is when my ADD intensified (still unknown to me. It just got even harder to live) I started to see a Psychiatrist (what is the shorthand for this?) & blah, blah (different ADs & mood stablizers with no luck or BAD results), she diagnosed my ADD & is treating me with Wellbutrin XR 300mg (in addition to the Effexor now at 150mg. My mood is GREAT, but my ADD has NOT been effected. In someways it feels worse.

I research a lot, bought Driven to...& Delivered form Distration by Hallowel. I am also asking my councelor to split the cost of Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program - Safren.
My diet has been low carb/high for a while. I've always exercised & I take vitamins & mineral as well as fish oil. That was already in place. I continue to gather tools to accommodate & cope with the ADD.

My Dr does not prescribe stimulants, she says. I think it could help me & my patience is waning & my job is suffering...

bc

~boots~
02-13-07, 11:55 PM
A few years ago, the mother of my then boyfriend told me that she thought I had it.bc BC..I had a CUSTOMER ask me if I had ADHD?
OMG! I nearly died of embarassment , so I know exactly how you feel..Of course, I said "no..why?" and he said "because you talk exactly like me and I have ADD too" :D

but, on the up side of that, it was the nail in the coffin that made me make the apointment I have been putting off for years...

speedo
02-14-07, 12:36 AM
It was an eye opener for me to realize that my adhd was obvious to everyone but me. I run into a lot of people who have adhd and many of them don't seem to be aware of it.

There seems to be a lot of it about...

I take wellbutrin. It helps my adhd a little, but not as much as I would like. I can't take stimulants at all because of the amount of anxiety that I have. I can barely tolerate wellbutrin... if I take too much I have way too much anxiety... this means I have to take a small dose and tolerate a certain amount of ADHD... I take tenex with it, and that reduces my hyperactivity a lot. The combo of wellbutrin and tenex seems to work okay for me. For my sensory issues and anxiety I take a small dose of risperdal which also helps the adhd a bit.

ME :D

meadd823
02-14-07, 06:14 AM
Has anyone else felt an incredible urgency right after dx? I get the feeling of "I've suffered too long with this! I want help NOW!!!!!" It's kind of obsessive. Is this bad?

Thanks!!

I can't say I have I had been to several doctors and been diagnosed with several things and put on more than several medications that did not work so I figured the ADD thing would just be some thing else I didn't have and I dreaded the horrible side effects I just knew I would get. Glad I was wrong and I finally found out what was going on and am able to treat it with medications that donít make my hair fall out, make me vomit continuously or become physically violent

~boots~
02-14-07, 09:24 AM
I take wellbutrin. It helps my adhd a little, but not as much as I would like. I can't take stimulants at all because of the amount of anxiety that I have. I can barely tolerate wellbutrin... if I take too much I have way too much anxiety...
ME :Dspeedo...what do these meds do..and if you don't mind me asking...what does the anxiety do to you? I seriously have no idea :o luckily, I live on another planet where anxiety doesn't seem to exist :confused:

meadd823
02-18-07, 09:15 AM
Wellbutrin is an antidepressent medication some times used for ADD. One of teh neuro transmitters it increases is the same one stimuleants increase. Wellbutrin effects more than just dopamine though and the increase isn't as specific as the CNS stimulents.

Imnapl
02-18-07, 02:27 PM
My Dr does not prescribe stimulants, she says. I think it could help me & my patience is waning & my job is suffering...

bcA doctor who flat out does not/never/not in this lifetime prescribe stimulants for ADHD is an idiot.

Buttercup
02-20-07, 04:45 PM
For my sensory issues and anxiety I take a small dose of risperdal which also helps the adhd a bit.My husband has chronic depression, anxiety & ADHD (Yeah, I know we are quite a pair! But a heck of a lot of fun!) He takes 2.5 mg of diazipam up to 5x a day (he never takes it more than 3x) for the anxiety & he says I really helps the ADHD. **shrugs**

I'm seeing a new Dr tomorrow who specializes in Adult ADD. Perhaps I'll get somewhere.

I saw my current Dr last week & she tried to suggest another mood stabilizer...Lithium. Ask anyone who knows me, ANYONE! I AM NOT BIPOLAR!!!!! I am a SPAZZ! She then offered Strattera, but noted that I would have to come off the Effexor.

Well dear, if you had been listening to me during ANY of our appointments including this one, you would know that I WANT to come off the Effexor. In addition, a pretty regular side effect of Strattera is fatigue & tiredness. My ability to fall asleep is NEVER a problem with sleep except for sleeping A LOT!

Can I be honest? I think she was put off, perhaps insulted by the initiative I had taken to research (a compulsion) my symptoms & options and provide input & make suggestions involving my treatment. God forbid!

I don't feel that she respects me or my opinion. And really, I am NOT a pushy or self righteous person.

I'm fairly intelligent, as I seem to believe a great many ADDers are, and I think she didn't expect that. Why would she, I am just lowly support staff. (I work in the same Hospital that I WAS seeking treatment.) Imagine that, an under achiever!!

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again, everybody!!

bc

Imnapl
02-20-07, 07:44 PM
I rest my case! :D

jeaniebug
02-20-07, 09:29 PM
I saw my current Dr last week & she tried to suggest another mood stabilizer...Lithium. Ask anyone who knows me, ANYONE! I AM NOT BIPOLAR!!!!! I am a SPAZZ! She then offered Strattera, but noted that I would have to come off the Effexor.

Well dear, if you had been listening to me during ANY of our appointments including this one, you would know that I WANT to come off the Effexor. In addition, a pretty regular side effect of Strattera is fatigue & tiredness. My ability to fall asleep is NEVER a problem with sleep except for sleeping A LOT!

I don't feel that she respects me or my opinion. And really, I am NOT a pushy or self righteous person. Well, a few people like strattera. Look for posts by SEEK. I would stay far, very far away from lithium. I have never heard of it being prescribed for ADHD. My bio father was bipolar I and lithium and whatever else they gave him made him near vegetative. I don't know why wellbutrin and effexor would be prescribed together, but I am not a doctor.

I love wellbutrin, but hated Effexor (but every one is different). Are you inattentive or hyperactive? Wellbutrin has helped my inattentive ADHD. I only take 150 mg because it increases my anxiety. Still, it has made a big difference in my energy and ability to get stuff done, and stick with tasks.

You can give the doctor another try, and it sounds like you are. But you should look for another doctor. I'm sure you have looked into this also, one who does prescribe stims. I found my neuropsychologist quite by accident by standing next to someone at the pharmacy who was picking up a prescription for Adderall. ;) :)

Good luck at your appt. My new neuropsych is the only doctor or therapist I have met that I feel actually knows more than I do about ADHD. Most everyone else seems pretty clueless. I talked to my other "Doc" (she's actually a PA or NP) and she said her "other" patient with ADHD couldn't hold a job for more than 2 weeks and had been married 7 times. So since I wasn't like him, and did well in school (have an MS), she said I *couldn't* have ADHD.

I told my new neuropsych this story yesterday and he laughed and said, so in her "study" of ADHD, n=1 (number of participants). :eyebrow: Truly scientific. Made me giggle!

And you might pick up "Healing ADD" by Daniel Amen, he describes quite a few different Rx and supplement combinations for different symptoms. Good luck!

kilted_scotsman
02-21-07, 06:30 PM
Not after diagnosis.....but after realising thats whats probably up with me. Itsbeen a few weeks....well a month now since I went to the Dr and asked for a referral but nothing yet.