View Full Version : How do I write a transcription?

EYEFORGOT
02-14-07, 10:41 AM
I believe I'm using the correct term.

I taught a Theater Arts course from 2005 to 2006 for 11 to 14 year olds. One of the homeschool moms wanted me to give her an in depth transcription of what was learned to show a future private school.

I have no idea how to write this. We learned many aspects of the theater process but for me, the doing comes naturally, trying to explain the purpose behind it, or what they ultimately learned from it is a challenge. Or do I not have to do that? Obviously public speaking is one of them. Do I just leave it with the theater process outline, what we did together and what they worked on individually, specifically this young lady?

Honestly, I've had to go through my old notes to try and remember what in the world we did. As I said, the doing is not my problem, the summarizing is.

Any advice?

jeaniebug
02-14-07, 12:18 PM
I believe I'm using the correct term.

I taught a Theater Arts course from 2005 to 2006 for 11 to 14 year olds. One of the homeschool moms wanted me to give her an in depth transcription of what was learned to show a future private school.

I have no idea how to write this. We learned many aspects of the theater process but for me, the doing comes naturally, trying to explain the purpose behind it, or what they ultimately learned from it is a challenge. Or do I not have to do that? Obviously public speaking is one of them. Do I just leave it with the theater process outline, what we did together and what they worked on individually, specifically this young lady?

Honestly, I've had to go through my old notes to try and remember what in the world we did. As I said, the doing is not my problem, the summarizing is.

Any advice?Well a transcript would be a word for word recording of what everyone said. My brother in law, a court reporter, gets paid mega bucks to do this.

Give her the outline. Full Stop. (As they say in the UK.) I remember some movie Jim Carey was in, where he said, if you want a transcript of this (whatever), just write down everything we say.

Have her come and take her own notes the next time you teach the theater process (or whatever). But of course, tell her nicely. She can also do some online research of her own or go to library.

I don't think it would be possible for a non-ADHD person to give her a transcription for a two year class. Don't stress about it. Give her what you have --that is simple to dig out-- and let her do her own work from there.

I taught college level Earth Science classes for 4 years. I mainly used visual aids and explained what they were looking at and what it meant (meteorology, geology, astronomy etc.) Certainly didn't have formal lectures written out. Plus varied the curriculum depending on what was happening in the world -- tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, landslides, mega storms, tornadoes etc.