View Full Version : INVEGA (Paliperidone) 3mg ER

namaste'
02-14-07, 10:04 PM
I am wondering if anyone is taking (or has tried it) INVEGA ER off label for ADD/Dopamine issues? I tried Abilify but couldn't take more than 1 mg/day? I had alot of restlessness (akathesia sp?). I had to stop taking it (too much unfocused energy) even though it had some good effects...e.g. mild mood lift and slight calming effect. ANYONE TAKING 'INVEGA', PLEASE RESPOND WITH ANY EXPERIENCE AND OR ADVICE. ALSO, WHAT TYPE OF SIDE-EFFECTS ARE MOST COMMON ETC.? ALSO, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO FEEL ITS EFFECTS? THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

netsavy006
02-15-07, 01:25 PM
I've never taken Invega but I do know a little bit about this drug. It is an extended release modified form of Risperdal. This medication works by reducing the effect of dopamine in the brain. This in turm helps to calm the effects of mania and schizophrnia. I've not heard of it being used in ADD yet as this is a fairly new drug currently only FDA approved for use in schizophrenia. I currently take Risperdal and I have to say it works wonders as an antimanic drug in me. But everyone is different and responds differently to medications. Restlessness I found as a common side effect of anti-psychotics but more so in Abilify. This I believe is due to the dopamine lowering effects of the medications.

There are also 2 threads that I started on Invega if you want to take a look:
1. http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35356
2. http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36329

Also there is the invega website, but unfotunatly is incomplete. More information is expected on the site soon:

http://invega.com

Best of luck. Make sure to speak to the doctor too. The docs are the best source of information regarding psychotropic meds. That's what they went to school for...

namaste'
02-15-07, 03:17 PM
Netsavy006,
Thanks for the fast reply and links to information regaurding Invega ER. So, you have a tendency towards restlessness with these type of drugs? I'm wondering, since all of these meds are somewhat similiar, would someone that has had the restlessness symptom be prone to having restlessness in the other similiar type meds?

Right now, my pDr. is trying to figure out how I'm wired. So, it seems like a hit or miss type of approach. However, it seems like the only way to really 'dig deep' and get a good look at my 'chemical blueprint'. When you say Risperdal helps you with mania, do you mean anxiety as well? They do go hand in hand correct? I'm new to all these meds and really appreciate all your input. I'm supossed to start 'INVEGA 3mg ER' tomorrow (stopped taking 1mg of abilify yesterday)

Did you get extrapyramidal symptoms on Abilify, and if so, what else did you notice about Abilify? Also, I almost forgot, is wieght-gain a problem on Resperdal (since its the parent drug in INVEGA)?

Thanks a bunch...hope to hear from you soon!
Btw, I was offered Lamictal (sp?) and have heard great things about it. Do you know anything about it...Sorry so many questions!

Take care...

netsavy006
02-16-07, 01:07 PM
I do have a tendency to get restless on medications. I'm even that way off of meds. Since all the drugs are similar they may or may not show similar effects. Every person will react differently to different medications. It does help with both the mania and anxiety that I get. Without risperdal I would cycle at least once every other month and I've been on Risperdal for almost 2 months now and have not cycled yet. The worst thing I get while on these meds are insomnia. It's very hard to get to sleep at night and this happened even before medications. Weight gain is a possibility when taking risperdal. Hope this helps. Good luck with the Invega...

Andy...

namaste'
02-17-07, 09:19 PM
When you say wieght-gain is possible, do you mean people that have had problems with wieght-gain before could be at risk? I think I read that somewhere? Let me know what you have experienced if thats cool...?

I started Invega 3mg today and notice way less side effects then when I first started Abilify 2mg...Maybe its the delivery system (being so smooth)? However, it has a 23 hr. half-life compared to Abilify's 96-97hr. half life...hmm?

Thanks again...

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:03 PM
wieght gain is possible w/ or w/out weight problems in the past. Anybody is succeptible to this side effect regardless of medical records. I never took Invega but take it's related drug Risperdal. So far I have not had weight gain...

namaste'
02-18-07, 03:44 PM
Hi Netsavy,
I started INVEGA yesterday (26 hours ago) and I woke up really late today? I've been so used to waking up by 8:30-9am but today (the abilify was like clockwork) I woke up at 11:40am??? I made no changes in my routine except starting the INVEGA.

I wouldn't even be posting this, However, after I got out of bed, I felt like I was waking through water:confused: :faint: ...I also noticed, blurred vision (fairly marked for about 2 hrs.) and very little energy. It took a couple cups of coffee to kinda get my head screwed on (spaced-out). However, the main thing that I kept noticing was a rapid heart-beat (which did subside after about an hr.).

Did you have any of these side-effects starting Risperdal (parent drug in INVEGA)?

I realize now, that abilify, even at 1mg, had some good benifets (just too much restlessness). Maybe as the Abilify is leaving my system and the Invega enters they are (stopped Abilify almost 4 days ago) interacting a little? I hope all of this is just 'my' reaction to starting INVEGA but my energy level was really good on abilify and now its different (lower). Doc said to give it 1-3 days to fully kick in. Do you have good energy on Risperdal .5?

Thanks again...

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:51 PM
Yes I did. The rapid heartbeat happened the first time I took it but then the 2nd time didn't seem to have a problem with that. I don't recommend the coffee only cuz the stimilatory effects I have found don't help the risperdal, but instead nulls the effects for me..

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:52 PM
It will take about at most one to two weeks for the full effects of invega to kick in and for most side effects to go away. I would keep the doctor in the know about your rapid heart beat because if it continues you may have to stop the invega...

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:54 PM
Here is what I found on the risperdal website re: side effects:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=753 border=0 leftmargin="0"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 leftmargin="0"><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentarea vAlign=top align=left width=578><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pagetitle>Side Effects

</TD></TR><TR><TD>RISPERDAL® (risperidone) has some possible side effects that you should know about.

With any medication, some people have side effects and some don't. If you have any side effects with RISPERDAL, or feel you're not getting better, please talk to your healthcare professional. Your healthcare professional may adjust the dose to help reduce or minimize your side effects. To assist you in tracking your side effects, a handy chart (http://www.risperdal.com/active/janus/en_US/assets/pris/mooddiary.pdf#zoom=100) is available on this web site.

Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with atypical antipsychotic drugs are at an increased risk of death compared to placebo. RISPERDAL® (risperidone) is not approved for the treatment of patients with Dementia-Related Psychosis.

The most common side effects that may occur with RISPERDAL in the treatment of bipolar mania either alone or in combination with a mood stabilizer (Depakote or lithium) are: sleepiness, muscle stiffness, restlessness, tremor, indigestion, nausea, abnormal vision, muscle aches, dizziness, runny nose, diarrhea, increased saliva, stomach pain, and urinary incontinence.

The newer atypical antipsychotic medications, including RISPERDAL, can sometimes cause an increased risk of serious elevated blood sugar-related side effects. For this reason, some people may need regular blood sugar testing.

Some people taking RISPERDAL may feel faint or lightheaded when they stand up or sit up too quickly. By standing up or sitting up slowly and following your healthcare professional’s dosing instructions, this side effect may be reduced or it may go away over time.

You may have heard the term "extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS)." These are usually reversible movement disorders or muscle disturbances, such as restlessness, tremors, and muscle stiffness. Some people taking RISPERDAL have these side effects. If you have these symptoms, talk to your healthcare professional.

You may have heard the term "tardive dyskinesia." These are potentially irreversible, uncontrollable, slow or jerky facial or body movements that can be caused by all medications of this type (antipsychotics). If you have these symptoms, talk to your healthcare professional. Only your healthcare professional should adjust your dose or stop your medication.

There are some medications that interact with RISPERDAL. Please inform your health care professional of all medications or supplements that you are taking.

http://www.risperdal.com/active/janus/en_US/images/pris/btn_backtop.gif (http://www.risperdal.com/html/pris/about_sideeffects.jsp?#top) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!--END CONTENT--></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#075aa3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3><!--begin footer--><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- Start Boxed Warning -->
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Elderly Patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with atypical antipsychotic drugs are at an increased risk of death compared to placebo. RISPERDAL (risperidone) is not approved for the treatment of patients with Dementia-Related Psychosis.

Schizophrenia: The most common side effects that occurred with RISPERDAL were: anxiety, sleepiness, restlessness, tremors, and muscle stiffness; dizziness, constipation, nausea, indigestion, runny nose, rash, and rapid heartbeat.

Bipolar Mania: The most common side effects that occurred in clinical trials, in the treatment of bipolar mania either alone or in combination with a mood stabilizer (lithium or valproate) were: sleepiness, muscle stiffness, restlessness, tremor, indigestion, nausea, abnormal vision, muscle aches, dizziness, runny nose, diarrhea, increased saliva, stomach pain, and urinary incontinence.

Autistic Disorder: The most common side effects that occurred with RISPERDAL were: sleepiness, increased appetite, fatigue, upper respiratory tract infection, increased saliva, constipation, dry mouth, tremor, muscle stiffness, dizziness, repetitive behavior, involuntary movement, rapid heartbeat, confusion and weight increase.

Studies suggest an increased risk of elevated blood sugar-related side effects, and sometimes potentially fatal, in patients treated with this class of medications, including RISPERDAL. Some people may need regular blood sugar testing.

You may have heard the term "tardive dyskinesia." These are usually persistent, uncontrollable, slow or jerky facial or body movements that can be caused by all medications of this type. If you have these symptoms, talk to your health care professional.

A rare but serious side effect that has been reported with this kind of medicine, including RISPERDAL, is known as NMS or neuroleptic malignant syndrome. NMS is characterized by muscle rigidity, fever and can be serious.

Some people taking RISPERDAL may feel faint or lightheaded when they stand up or sit up too quickly. By standing up or sitting up slowly and following your health care professional’s dosing instructions, this side effect may be reduced or it may go away over time.

You may have heard the term "extrapyramidal symptoms" (EPS). These are usually persistent movement disorders or muscle disturbances, such as restlessness, tremors, and muscle stiffness. Some people taking RISPERDAL have these side effects. If you have these symptoms, talk to your health care professional.

Some medications interact with RISPERDAL. Please inform your health care professional of any medications or supplements that you are taking. Avoid alcohol while on RISPERDAL.

Inform your healthcare professional if you are already pregnant or if you are planning to get pregnant while taking RISPERDAL. Do not breast-feed if you are taking RISPERDAL.

RISPERDAL may affect alertness or driving ability, therefore, do not drive or operate machines before talking to your health care professional.

Keep out of reach of children. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>