View Full Version : lamictal side effects

leana
02-15-07, 12:26 PM
i just started taking lamictal a week ago for depression.the last couple of days i feel more tirerd than usuall, and at night about 6pm, i get extremely tirerd.i also now notice my heart beats seem harder and faster,expecially at night, it kind of scares me.right now it feels like a mild pinching feeling.it seems like i complain about most meds, so i dont want to call the nurse and complain, just in case this will pass. im running out of options of meds here. is anyone else taking lamictal? what are the main side effects, and besides a reash, which they told me about, what else is normal? and what should i watch for? please reply.

EYEFORGOT
02-15-07, 12:36 PM
Hi leana,

I've been on Lamictal about two years. The only side effect that really interfered for me were headaches. Very bad headaches. I split my dose, took half in the morning and half at night and I was fine. I upped my dosage recently, and had very mild headaches while my body adjusted.

Do you have any co-existing conditions besides depression?

Crazy~Feet
02-15-07, 03:09 PM
I take Lamictal and have no side effects that I can notice.

Swede63
02-15-07, 03:25 PM
I've been on Lamictal for around two years now. I have to say that it has been a great medicine for me. Actually I have way more energy than when I was on another medicine.

A racing heart beat or "pinching" feeling is listed as a less common side effect. Talk to the doctor or the nurse. And try not to feel like you are always complaining it's your health abd your wellbeing is more important than anything.

Scattered
02-15-07, 05:59 PM
I hope you'll call your doctor -- they need to know about the side effects. Anything that effects your heart is important for them to know about -- people can and do have atypical reactions to medications. It's not worth endangering your health by just hoping it will go away -- check and see what your doctor recommends!

Take care,
Scattered

justhope
02-19-07, 01:38 PM
I have been on Lamictal for several months now. I can't speak to the heart "pinching/ palpatations thing...I agree you need to let them know about this side-effect, asap.

The only side-effect I had, was when I initally started taking it, I took it at night time. To avoid the possible side effects. Well I was soooo sleepy in the morning it took me until about 11am to really wake up. It was weird because when I would take it about 8pm at night, I wouldn't get sleepy? But man when I work up...
My mom (who is a nurse) suggested I start taking it in the mid morning. She stated it might be because our metobalism slows so much at night, it might cause more of the "sleepy" side effects than when I was awake. And it worked.

So I didn't have any other issues.
Hope all goes well with you, this is really a great med for me. Hope is works out for you.

smooch
02-19-07, 08:25 PM
I've been on Lamictal for...um...two years...um...three? Anyhoo, don't remember any heartbeat issues. TELL YOUR DOC. I didn't have any side effects that I remember. I knew my heart raced because of the Adderall.

As far as what else you might be able to expect, I can say that Lamictal has been the best mood stabilizer/AD I have ever taken, and the only ADs I have NOT taken are Prozac and whatever has come out since Lexapro. In fact, I just upped my dose because I saw the signs that I was more than just grouchy-manic (vs. jazzed- or active-manic)...I was slipping towards depression. It's been almost two weeks since I started increasing my mgs/day, and bull! if I don't already feel so much better, and it's better every day. I credit Lamictal, at least in part, with even being able to self-observe when it comes to my moods.

(End of ramble....)

Matt S.
02-20-07, 11:31 AM
It works well as an antidepressant and the headaches were all that I had, my dose of lamictal goes from 25-150 mg up and down same with dexedrine it goes from 50 -120 mg depending on the day, if you feel overmedicated tell the doctor, mine is perfectly fine with going up and down with the dosage if it helps me the best to take it as such.

netsavy006
02-20-07, 01:20 PM
mspen1018: If your dosages are in that high a range how do you know how much to take each day?

Matt S.
02-20-07, 03:34 PM
it's more of a "what's going on in my life or sporadic symptom level spike" thing. I have PTSD as well from being overmedicated throughout my childhood so it is connected to not wanting to take them. The dexedrine dose goes per every 3 hours with me, in some social situations I tend to interact with people better if i am not all zombied out and staring at the wall on a good 30 mg dose of dexedrine. Lamictal is not as change on a daily basis deal, I am not a bipolar as far as mania/depression is concerned it is more of a mixed state for me and when it is less intense I take less. Everyone is different and that's really what helps me the best

Crazy~Feet
02-20-07, 05:49 PM
mspen1018: If your dosages are in that high a range how do you know how much to take each day?His dosages are not excessively high, Andy. Its what works for him.

netsavy006
02-20-07, 06:39 PM
I'm not saing the dosage are high. It's the range to he/she chooses from.

25-150?

How do you know what amount to take which day?

notmADD
03-28-07, 04:45 PM
The side effects will pass. I didn't have the heart stuff, but the sleepyness subsides. Let me tell ya, that for myself...Lamictal is the greatest drug on the planet! I take take 100mg in the morning w/ 30mg Adderall XR and then 150mg at night. I was taking 100 mg at night but after my Pdoc up'd it another 50mg I have never felt so stable EVER.

Good Luck!

Strugglepuss
05-29-07, 05:14 PM
I tried Lamictal and had huge acne welts. My skin blotched up and my hair looked like straw. That was depressing. I went off. I was experimenting because I thought I may be Bipolar II instead of Major Depression and ADD. The acne was really bad though. I'm glad none of you have had nasty side effects.

jennyjay
05-29-07, 05:38 PM
Don't ever feel bad about calling the nurse about something related to a medication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lamictal is a serious med, you have every right to call and question what you are feeling. You actually sound alot like me when I start a med. I have eleminated most of them for one reason or another. Lamictal, I was fine until I titrated up to 200 mg a day, as soon as I started that I had vertigo and cognitive impairment (like making really dumb mistakes at work etc.) I never had what you are talking about, maybe they will titrate up slower. I just quit without talking to my doc (i am a rebel...lol). :faint:

balanced
08-18-07, 12:02 PM
I love lamictal. saved my life practically. I was off the deep end on effexor, as I was on every other antidepressant. The only side effects I had were itchy armpits, and CRAZY VIVID dreams. I'm having issues with sleeping/waking so I need to discuss with doc, I take the adderall in the AM obviously, but I take klonopin & lamictal around 8/9 and can barely wake up.

at fist I thought I had a rash, it was a canker sore in my mouth, the dr freaked and took me off lamictal. I told him that I might have been hyper sensitive in evaluating SE's.it went away and we discussed.THANKFULLY, he put me back on it.

Sperlda1030
10-04-07, 03:32 PM
I've been on Lamictal now for 4 days with 40mg of ritalin every morning. So far, I'm just very sleepy about an hour after taking it and the ritalin, and get incredible hot flash that soaks my shirt, then it levels off and I feel fine through out the day (I'm on time release ritalin, so it could be that when i wake up, Its totally worn off and the first wave of ritalin just gives me the hot flash. The lamictal seems to increase the drowsyness. I'm beeing treated for ADD, PTSD and Bipolar depression. been off meds for 12 years, just went back on a month ago and so far, it's been kind of a rocky ride, particularly with cymbalta which i had to discontinue after only a week of insanity, but I really want to give this treatment a chance. Good luck!

Crazy~Feet
10-04-07, 03:41 PM
I've been on Lamictal now for 4 days with 40mg of ritalin every morning. So far, I'm just very sleepy about an hour after taking it and the ritalin, and get incredible hot flash that soaks my shirt, then it levels off and I feel fine through out the day (I'm on time release ritalin, so it could be that when i wake up, Its totally worn off and the first wave of ritalin just gives me the hot flash. The lamictal seems to increase the drowsyness. I'm beeing treated for ADD, PTSD and Bipolar depression. been off meds for 12 years, just went back on a month ago and so far, it's been kind of a rocky ride, particularly with cymbalta which i had to discontinue after only a week of insanity, but I really want to give this treatment a chance. Good luck!I am not surprised that you reacted poorly to Cymbalta, the SSRI/SSNRI class ADs are famous for triggering manic episodes in BP patients ;). Please stop by Co-Existing Conditions so that The Cycling Team can welcome another Bipolar to the group, too.

Sperlda1030
10-17-07, 01:51 PM
Well, I'm on Day 16 of the lamictal...(3rd day titrate to 50mg from 25mg) So far I have been waking up VERY tired, and disoriented. I slept last night for nearly 14 hours and woke up in very wet nasty sheets, (I have been sweating a LOT in my sleep since starting the Ritalin and Lamictal, changing sheets every two days. I have also been feeling very depressed and out of focus since upping the dosage, but awareness is 90% of the battle. Have an appointment with the doc next week, gonna just hang on until then...

meriellyn
12-06-07, 08:47 AM
So how are you doing with the Lamictal now? Still on it or no?

I absolutely love the stuff, myself. Best mood stabilizer and depression med I've ever taken. I'm on a fairly high dose (200mg 2x daily) and experience no noticable side effects. I'm tired a lot, but I'm always tired and generally much more so when I'm unmedicated.
I recently lost my pills for a month and good lordy did I notice a difference once it left my system. I feel so "normal" (as in non-drugged) when I'm on it that I often forget how much it really does for me and how awful I feel without it.
I've been on it for two years now, and probably about a year at my current dose. I never want to be without it. Works wonders for me without me even knowing it's working or feeling like I'm on anything.

So anyway, I was just wondering if your side effects ever passed or if you eventually went on to something else.