View Full Version : Risperdal

netsavy006
02-16-07, 03:29 PM
One thing I read in my drug books is that the starting dose of Risperdal for Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia is 2 to 3 mg once or twice a day, but other users and myself feel you can get by with less. what's the deal with this high a dosage as a starting dose if people should be eased into it to help prevent or lower the incidence of side effects...

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 03:48 PM
Andy, people with bipolar disorder need to get the mania under control as quickly as possible, especially those with BPI who may be going psychotic during mania. Remember that Risperdal is an atypical antipsychotic? I would presume your book is referring to people with BPI in this situation. Like any other medication the dosage would naturally be lowered if side effects arise.

netsavy006
02-16-07, 05:50 PM
They refer to both Schizophrenia and Bipolar I in seporate columns but list close to the same thing. It mentioned a higher dose for BPI than for Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia I think was 2-4mg and BPI was 2-8mg...

netsavy006
02-16-07, 05:50 PM
(Andy on 8mg; j/k): duhhh....

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 06:45 PM
Schizophrenia does not always mean psychosis. There are types of schizophrenia just like there are types of bipolar. I imagine a catatonic schizophrenic would have no need for any antipsychotics now would they? ;)

netsavy006
02-16-07, 07:33 PM
probably not...

netsavy006
02-16-07, 07:35 PM
I'm a Rapid Cycling Bipolar Aspie myself. I don't understand how I only need a 'little' risperdal compared to the rest of the sample population but I know the drill re: everyone is different...

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 07:51 PM
The amount and rapidity of cycling makes no difference. The effect of the medications does. The asperger connection is besides the point. Is it BPI or BPII?

netsavy006
02-16-07, 07:58 PM
They refer to both Schizophrenia and Bipolar I in seporate columns but list close to the same thing. It mentioned a higher dose for BPI than for Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia I think was 2-4mg and BPI was 2-8mg...
This was from memory. Here's what the book actually says:

Recommended Dosage:

Schizophrenia
Doses of Risperdal can be taken once a day, or divided in half and taken twice daily. The usual dose on the first day is 2 milligrams or 2 milliliters of oral solution. On the second day the dose is increased to 4 milligrams or mililiters, and on the third day it rises to 6 milligrams or milliliters. Futher dosage adjustments can be made at intervals of 1 week. Over the long term, typical daily dosages rage from 2 to 8 milligrams or milliliters.

Bipolar Mania (Short-Term Treatment of Acute Episodes)
Adults
The recommended starting dose is 2 to 3 milligrams (or milliliters of oral solution) per day, given as a single dose. If needed, the doctor will adjust the dose by 1 milligram at intervals of at least 24 hours. The effective dosage range is from 1 to 6 milligrams a day

Andy...

Crazy~Feet
02-16-07, 08:01 PM
Acute mania = BPI more than likely. Very important to get this type stabilised as they may become so grandiose as to do such things as charge cars. Clearly that's a danger to them.

netsavy006
02-16-07, 08:03 PM
I believe it's BP-I

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:22 PM
The recommended starting dose is 2 to 3 milligrams (or milliliters of oral solution) per day... The effective dosage range is from 1 to 6 milligrams a day...
How can they be sure 1mg works for bp people if they start at 2 or more mgs? (I understand what they are saying just giving ya all a hard time)...