View Full Version : Doing boring housework

procrastinater
02-16-07, 06:13 PM
Hi! This is the first time I've posted but I've been lurking around these forums for weeks. I must say that reading them has been making me feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone in my "flaws".

I have a tip to share on what helps me to get the house clean (yucky housework). I have a lot of pressure to keep the place clean due to the fact that my hubby (bless his heart) is the total opposite of ADD. He just doesn't understand why "something that only takes two minutes has to be put off for two months". Anyway, my solution to those boring tasks is a set of headphones and a good audible book. One of the reasons I hate doing boring routine things is because while my body goes on autopilot, my brain can go faster than the usual mile-a-minute pace. I think about all the stuff I don't want to: past embarrassments, things I worry about (big one), things I should have done with my life, things I should be doing, blah, blah ,blah. A book on tape is the perfect escapisim AND I'm getting something done. (even though I'm always procrastinating, I hate wasting my time -isn't that bizzarre!)

prettyblonde
03-05-07, 10:44 AM
One of the reasons I hate doing boring routine things is because while my body goes on autopilot, my brain can go faster than the usual mile-a-minute pace. I think about all the stuff I don't want to: past embarrassments...
wow, I do this too...I thought I was the only one.
It definitely causes me to procrastinate on organization. Even looking through old cards & letters makes me think of friends, the things they've done for me that I can never repay, and times that I'm convinced I have "embarassed" myself. Instead of feeling loved, I feel ashamed & embarassed.
Its no wonder I hate cleaning :eyebrow:

Jett
07-21-07, 10:32 PM
My therapist told me the other day that it's essential that I don't use the word should, have to, need to, etc because it sounds like I am beating myself up.

It makes sense. Instead of should, it is better to say I will or I want to. It sounds more positive and gives you a little boost of confidence.

Yea, housework is boring, I know. That's why a lot of people live in messy and dirty houses, and that is why they sell merchandise that makes cleaning easier and faster.

Many people who can afford it, pay big money to have someone else do their housework.

If you were to ask a hundred people what they enjoy doing, I bet that not too many, if any, would say that their hobbies are washing dishes, doing laundry, or cleaning the bath tub. As for me, my least favorite chores are cleaning the stove/oven and scrubbing toilets and tubs. ICK!!!