View Full Version : My agitation/irritability feelings are comming back.

netsavy006
02-18-07, 03:48 PM
:( My agitation/irritability feelings are comming back. :(

Crazy~Feet
02-18-07, 04:27 PM
Perhaps that is because SSRI class antidepressants used by a known bipolar patient without the addition of a mood stabilizer are famous for inducing hypo/mania.

netsavy006
02-18-07, 04:38 PM
I understand but isn't the risperdal a type of mood stabilizer?

netsavy006
02-18-07, 04:38 PM
Or is it just one of those quick fix type of meds in this case?

Crazy~Feet
02-18-07, 05:01 PM
Risperdal is not as such a mood stabilizer IMO. In helps with agitation and so on but its short acting in nature. It assists in maintaining stability because in spite of all meds, BPs will continue to cycle from time to time. The half-life on mood stabilizers is much longer, providing round-the-clock stability.

netsavy006
02-18-07, 07:41 PM
I think it's stress related anyways...

netsavy006
02-20-07, 09:04 AM
It's not really agitation that I am experiencing. It's a kind of moderate-severe anxiety/mild-moderate panic. I realized that because after a couple of days things calmed down inside and returned to normal...

netsavy006
02-20-07, 09:06 AM
...The half-life on mood stabilizers is much longer, providing round-the-clock stability.Do you happen to know the half-life of risperdal or where I could possibly find it...?

Also, whenever I see your posts, they always seem to italisize whenever I quote them. I'm wondering why?...

Matt S.
02-20-07, 11:20 AM
I am a type of bipolar (agitated depression) and tend to have a lot of mild asperger's traits as well (sensory issues and restricted interests, repetitive behaviors not quite OCD) but I am mostly hyperactive (or hypomanic depending on the doctor) and Dexedrine is a medicine that works wonders on the agitation aspect of myself, I also stay that way regardless of any mood stabilizer being present. Lamictal is a good drug for what you describe... it helps my depression without making me floridly psychotic. I feel just wonderful on zoloft, it happens to effect me like crack cocaine effects normal people... crack cocaine was like a high dose of ritalin for me.

netsavy006
02-24-07, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear that you are doing well mspen1018.

netsavy006
02-24-07, 01:01 PM
The agitation/irritablity seems to be part of my bipolar-nos cycle. Even the docs are having troble figuring out which type of bipolar i have. They don't know if it's BPI w/o psychotic symptoms, BPII or Cyclothymia so for now I have the bipolar NOS re-dx...

netsavy006
02-27-07, 09:42 AM
I believe that Risperdal at .5mg has provided me great mood stabilization. I feel glad that I can feel great and not feel bad at the same time. I haven't has a severe change in moods for the past 6 weeks that I've been taking Risperdal. I sure hope that I can stay this way for some period of time...

netsavy006
02-27-07, 02:18 PM
After this weekend things seem to have calmed down a bit. I hope it stays that way for a while.

attention
02-27-07, 05:37 PM
I would take an AC med if i was you, like tegretol, Lamictal. AP's are up there as far as SE's go, with blockage of Dopamine receptors, Risperdal=D2 receptor blocking, not so good.

netsavy006
02-27-07, 07:53 PM
What does SE mean?

netsavy006
02-27-07, 07:54 PM
never mind. SE for those who don't know means side effects, AC is anti-convulsant, and AP; Antipsychotic...