View Full Version : New To board, 22 years old diagnosed at 12

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 08:11 PM
Hello there,:soapbox:

I was diagnosed with tourettes over 10 years ago and oh boy has it been a ride. I've never joined forums like these before, but I was in therapy (4+ years) until they basically said they only thing they could do for me was give me more drugs. I've been dealing with it in my own way for the last 5 or so years, and most of the time I function well. Most people I meet cannot tell I have it unless I tell them or read in front of them (I tic bad when I read)

I decided to do this because I know a lot of people are looking for information on the internet, for children that are often very young and they dont know what to expect as their children age and also because I am about to try and join the regular work force...(I've been a freelance designer for a few years) and quite frankly I'm terrified. I am not embarassed of my disorder, I have a lot of friends and they just think its interesting. My main problem is this:

I have a hypersensitivity to certain sounds and when I say sensitivity I mean I look like I am having a seizure when I hear certain sounds. If I hear nylon rubbing, or if I hear sucking noises (like on plastic, or when people make the "fish" face) all of my muscles contract, my teeth feel like they are falling out and the sound continually repeats in my head because of the OCD. The only way to stop the sound, is to inflict pain on myself (I have to bite down on my hand, or punch myself in the leg VERY hard). If I ask other people to please not make those sounds they are like "What?! THIS SOUND" and then they make it again. I do not blame them because they do not understand...but Im really not sure what to do. I had to leave my gym the other day because a lady was there with nylon pants on...I almost threw up. I tried to work through it because I know I may end up dealing with it at a regular job...but it got so bad I started covering my ears and people were looking at me...and I had to leave.

If I get the job, I don't want my boss to think I'm just telling them I have it to scare them away from reprimanding me when I make a mistake. But Im really torn about this...should I let them know right away or wait and see if it becomes a problem ? I really don't want an incident in the work place.