View Full Version : Share your Focalin Success Stories

netsavy006
02-21-07, 08:37 AM
Please share your focalin Successes here. We look forword to seeing your success stories on the forums...

MGDAD
03-13-07, 12:10 PM
First of all, thanks to Andrew for making a Focalin subforum.

My 9 daughter was diagnosed innattentive ADHD, early last year. We tried various alternative learning/teaching techniques with some success. However, was just not enough. Or Dr prescribed 2.5mg of Focalin and we gave her a pill at 1:30pm and had her start some homework at 2:00pm. In 30min she completed what would have taken 3-4hours. I will never forget that day. She was soo happy too.

After a few more successfull days we went to the extended release version of Focalin. (XR). The 5mg dose of XR was supposed to be equivalent to the 2.5mg dose of regular Focalin. However, we had to go up to 10mg XR to get satisfactory results. She takes it every day. She wanted to quit taking it to see how it was without, but she said she had a really hard time in school (paying attention, getting assignments completed) so she went back to the 10mg XR. Self esteem is up, quality of schoolwork is up. All around, it is a magic pill for her.

tjmamais
04-09-07, 08:56 PM
My 6 y/o daughter was diagnosed with combined ADHD over a month ago. We tried the Daytrana patch and my daughter just couldn't stop crying. The doctor then put her on Focalin XR 5 mg. We could tell a difference but not anything worth being excited about. After 5 days, the doctor increased the dosage. Today was amazing. 30 minutes after taking the medication, she did her morning routine without even being reminded once. She was still her happy joyful playful self!!!!! Her teacher sent me one of the nicest emails this afternoon. My daughter only had to be reminded ONCE to sit on her bottom. I am so excited. It took almost 2 years to get my husbands meds right. So I am so delighted that my wonderful playful daughter is still there but you only have to ask her once to do something.

Anise
05-25-07, 01:12 PM
I love Focalin more than I could ever say!!! I truly feel that it's given me back EVERYTHING-- attention, creativity, connection with self, ability, everything. You really do have to be sure that you've got the dosage right, though, and it may be higher than what they say you should be taking. I take 20 mg. XR twice a day (at 8 and 3 p.m.,) and it's amazing. Once a day only works intermittently, and the IR version is very iffy. Daytrana and Adderall did not work nearly as well or consistently. Adding Strattera REALLY doesn't work. :( But sticking with the Focalin at this dosing and schedule is working much better than anything else ever has. It's been over 6 months with Focalin now, so here's to the continuing future! :)

resonate
05-31-07, 11:47 PM
I couldnt agree more. Side effects are mild, I am only on day 3, noticed insomnia, constipation, dry mouth, headache, adult acne, jaw clenching, mild tics such as bllinking hard, edgy, nervousness. Wow, sounds like alot, but compared to how I felt on the inside before, I was surprised how amazing my focus, comprehension was enhanced. Maybe also my loss of appetite will help me trim up for the summer. Will check back...wish me luck folks.

emo537
06-01-07, 02:25 AM
ahhh....I would love that so much - To be able to think extremely clearly with complete comprehension....being able to UNDERSTAND new and complex concepts...to be able to finish thoughts to a conclusion - the right one i might add ;-)

resonate,

What medications have you tried for your ADHD? And, what aspects of the ability to think were attributed to each? Like, for example: Adderall - staying alert, being able to think quickly.
And, if you could, include comprehension...being able to understand things better because of focus and concentration.

This reply is a little rambly and i'm sorry for that...It's just that there are certain things that I really want to get out of treatment...

Thanks in advance!

eric

resonate
06-07-07, 11:26 PM
I have tried Zoloft. Took it for only a few days, but noticed it gave me little pus filled pimples and no sex drive. Ugh. Then tried Wellbutrin. Lots of jaw clenching and very edgy. Not too sure it worked at all for me, but actually just made me horny all the time. Later tried Strattera and that made me breakout too and made me feel loopy.

In regards to helping me think...I didnt take the Zoloft or Strattera to know the difference. The Wellbutrin didnt work well at all.

jojostarbuck
07-10-07, 02:13 PM
I'm new to it all, but started taking 10 mg 4 weeks ago. Switched to 20 mg in a.m. 2 weeks ago and am really happy with the meds.
Few side effects....the payoff is enormous!

jojo

ChicagoADDer
10-09-07, 07:46 AM
I am an adult with ADD, just switched to Focalin a month ago and it is by far the best treatment option for me. Even though its the same amphetamine salt as Adderall, I have none of the side effects that I experienced with Adderall. Looks like that left/right orientation really does make a difference. I take 20mg in the morning which lasts about 10 hours, and around 6pm I (sometimes) take 5mg of Ritalin.

Past two years I have tried (in order of sucess):

1) Concerta 54mg x 2 (morning and afternoon). Worked pretty well, but did very little for my low energy, and it seemed to wear off earlier than Adderall or Focalin (around 7-8 hours). No side effects.

2) Adderall (30mg x 2). I had some side effects: increased short term memory loss (leaving my keys in the door which I don't do even without meds), headaches, problems regulating sleep, and a few very extended hyperfocus experiences (one lasted 72 hours with no break for sleep). Tried various dosages before settling on the 30mg x 2; but lower dosages did not help with focusing, and higher ones all had the negative side effects even when spread out over 2 pills.

4) Cymbalta (can't remember my dosage). Interesting drug. I noticed some increase in focus, but not as much as adderall or concerta. Had some minor side effects (dry mouth was the worst). It did make me more "calm" in my head - decreased my (for lack of a better word) social anxiety level. I felt more in control, calm, less reactive, less impulsive. I took Cymbalta for a couple of months, but ultimately it was not as effective at treating my primary issues (lack of focus, lack of motivation, lack of energy), and the long term use side effects started to scare me.

5) Strattera. Did nothing for me, except some really bizarre sexual side effects I won't repeat here (don't ask - just look at the side effects listed onthe label!)

nicky818
03-29-08, 10:29 PM
My son (5) started Focalin XR (5mg) today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. He was on Adderrall (7.5 mg) for about 5-6 months - one day it would work great, the next not so great and the rebound was awful. I finally switched dr.s and he prescribed Focalin. He's been focused with no hyperactivity whatsoever and he still has all his personality and has been laughing up a storm. Adderall only lasted him 4-5 hours (we're on hour 7 of the Focalin). So far so good. His appetite has diminished again but that's to be expected. Good luck to everyone.

rcamommy
10-07-08, 09:06 PM
My son (5) have diagnosed with ADD about 3 weeks ago and put on Focalin XR 5 mg, Things were okay moved up to 10 mg. Things were alittle better, moved to 15 mg. He is great no longer has to sit in the front of the class no more bad reports, agreeable listens it is like a whole new child and minimal side affects. I am truly happy with Focalin it has given us a new lease on childhood

tnhybrid
11-14-08, 04:16 PM
Hmmmm. I'm praying there are no delayed side effects with this stuff. I'm very, extremely, incredibly sensitive to meds, so I'm on a microdose...took about 3 mg this morning and it's AWESOME! Honestly, the only thing I've really noticed was a slight fullness in my chest for about a half hour after I took it.

I'm awake, I don't feel dopey or sleepy, I'm not starving...no headache, not even much dry mouth....plus kind of a good mood!

Compared to the Vyvanse, which made me literally feel like I was dying of rabies, this stuff is wondrous! I'll report back later.

qhcowgirl
04-20-09, 09:13 PM
Hmmmm. I'm praying there are no delayed side effects with this stuff. I'm very, extremely, incredibly sensitive to meds, so I'm on a microdose...took about 3 mg this morning and it's AWESOME! Honestly, the only thing I've really noticed was a slight fullness in my chest for about a half hour after I took it.

I'm awake, I don't feel dopey or sleepy, I'm not starving...no headache, not even much dry mouth....plus kind of a good mood!

Compared to the Vyvanse, which made me literally feel like I was dying of rabies, this stuff is wondrous! I'll report back later.

No kidding about the vyvanse. That stuff made me pay attention but awful side effects and it just got worse. Started on 20 mg of focalin. Awful side effects, went down to 10 mg -- terrible side effects after a few days.

Stopped taking it for awhile -- just started taking a fraction of the beads... must be about 3 mg. AMAZING! Clear thinking, able to socialize and not space and get work done. No edginess, stomachache, headache, dying of thirst, appetite loss... Loving it

willinabox
06-10-09, 05:01 PM
What was the difference in terms of energy levels between focalin and adderall or ritalin......

Adderall made me kinda drony/socially akward, ritalin was definitely better but didnt help with anxiety and tics. Seems like Foclain might be a better fit because it leaves out the tics, but i do like the energy that ritalin gives me.

what do you think, my phsych said focalin doesn't give you as much energy and its generally for little kids.

hollywood
06-16-09, 09:39 AM
chicago,

so your saying you take one 20mg of focalin a day and were taking concerta 54 ( x 2) and that the concerta did way less and that the focalin works better and longer than concerta? I find focalin good but doesn't work half as long-

KalibTweli
06-20-09, 12:59 AM
I am an adult with ADD, just switched to Focalin a month ago and it is by far the best treatment option for me. Even though its the same amphetamine salt as Adderall, I have none of the side effects that I experienced with Adderall. Looks like that left/right orientation really does make a difference.

Focalin is dexmethylphenidate...you're thinking of dexamphetamine as being part of adderall. But yeah, the isolated isomers do make a difference.

Yellow
06-30-09, 09:34 AM
Focalin is dexmethylphenidate...you're thinking of dexamphetamine as being part of adderall. But yeah, the isolated isomers do make a difference.

sorry man, i was listenin to black star and i saw ur name and just heard in my head "1,2,3 is mos def and talib kwel-eh-eh-ay........" YO...lol peace

Jonas2411
11-08-09, 08:21 PM
I traditionally took Concerta 54 MG which worked great as something to last all day. I asked my doctor for something that would just work for the school day (6 Hours) so that I wouldn't have the negative side effects once school ended, and he prescribed Focalin.

It works great for a few hours for short projects or if you need concentration for a short period of time but doesn't last anywhere near as along as Concerta. If I had a paper i had to crank out this was definitely the med of choice.

The one thing I did notice though was, when I did take it, upon first taking it I would get a sense of almost euphoria and get really emotional. No idea why but I would just have really strong emotions, no new emotions brought on but everything was just exaggerated. I did find some minor feelings of depression once the med started to wear off but once it had fully worn off the depression went with it. It wasn't full on depression but you just feel sad kinda and just really weird. I've also had different results trying the med at different points throughout the year. It worked great last winter, but when I took it recently it didn't really work that well and just had negative side effects. But i only tried it once so I don't know how it would affect me if i tried it again.

geogator
11-15-09, 02:33 AM
I've been on 20mg Focalin XR for a little over a month now & I like it better than the Concerta 54mg that it replaced. However, I agree that it only lasts about 5-6 hours & I end up taking an extra 10mg of generic dex in the afternoons, particularly if I have a big event or meeting late in the day or early evening. I've found for me, it is much "smoother" than the Concerta & doesn't hit me quite as hard or make me feel "zombied" for the first hour or so like the Concerta did. Additionally, I could always tell when another "stage" of the Concerta was kicking in, yet I don't feel it very much with the Focalin. Oddly, I still get yawning fits after taking it though, even when I get a good long night's sleep the night before. (I got them w/Concerta too.) It seems like a very strange side effect if you ask me - has anyone else experienced this? The only other downside to it is if you take it later in the day (say after noon for the XR or after about 4pm for the dex) it will keep you up VERY late after only a brief evening nap. (Hence I'm posting this at 2am!!)

Also, I recommend eating a bit of something when taking the XR in the AM. If I don't, I can feel the "kick" a bit harder than usual. This also goes for having a morning dose of caffiene (Diet Mt. Dew for me) right around the time you take the XR.

As for consuming alcohol (which the label says not to do when taking the med, but hey - it IS football season after all), I'm usually OK having 1 or 2 beers/drinks if I wait about 3-4 hours after taking the XR, but any more than 1 or 2 & the Focalin will REALLY magnify the alcohol effect & for me, tends to knock me flat on my keister. (Thus, keep the tailgating to a minimum if you take it on gameday.) On the flip side, it does help me focus better when watching the game in the stadium, so there's a plus.

Overall, I'd give it a solid B+ so far. I've also tried Strattera (before the Concerta) which REALLY SUCKED & caused such awful side effects that I even landed in the walk-in clinic one afternoon after being on it only a week. (It also shot my BP up nearly 20 points which took almost 2 weeks to get back down to normal after discontinuing it.)

Hope this helps someone out, as I've had some difficulty finding Focalin reviews as well.

foggedup
11-16-11, 01:03 AM
However, I agree that it only lasts about 5-6 hours & I end up taking an extra 10mg of generic dex in the afternoons, particularly if I have a big event or meeting late in the day or early evening.

What is the logic behind using dex as the booster? Focalin is in the ritalin family so wouldn't RitalinIR be the booster? (I don't know anything about Focalin or Ritalin, I'm just curious) My body eats so-called extended release meds for breakfast, unfortunately, so IR boosters are probably a mainstay for me, whatever med I end up on.

..... Oddly, I still get yawning fits after taking it though, even when I get a good long night's sleep the night before. (I got them w/Concerta too.) It seems like a very strange side effect if you ask me - has anyone else experienced this? I take dexedrine IR right now and it takes a full hour before my focus kicks in. Like you, leading up to that nice focused and motivated state is sleepiness. Not sure what that is, a calming effect? I know both Adderall and Dex calm my mind (however too low a dose makes it race).

......Hope this helps someone out, as I've had some difficulty finding Focalin reviews as well.Thank you for posting. After feeling literally insane on Adderall, my doc admitted that it's going to be an experiment at this point. Not thrilled because I need to keep my grip at work. I told him I wanted to try Dex next which he was fine with, but he said to also think about what I want to try after if the Dex isn't the one either. So I'm just putting out feelers for next options (if necessary).

I'm terrified of Ritalin because severe anxiety is my #1 issue and I'm afraid it would be too edgy. If Focalin is the stronger part of the MPH molecule, I find the fact that it's smoother than Concerta interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

VioletC
06-16-12, 12:44 PM
I am an adult with ADHD-I and Focalin has made me not hate myself for being lazy.

I take Focalin XR 10 mg in the morning, though my doctor would be fine with me taking 2 of those. And I take Ritalin boosters in the afternoon if I have to work late, though I may switch to Focalin boosters. I know people think that Focalin is just for kids, but it treats me just fine.

VioletC
06-16-12, 12:47 PM
I take Ritalin boosters because Ritalin comes in generic form and I have a different copay for Focalin. But the generic Ritalin recently has been brand name Methylin, and I've gotten some intense anxiety and muscle tension, so that's why I'm thinking of switching.

The Duchess
10-15-14, 08:57 PM
Starting with 2.5mg twice a day for four days then increase to 5 mg twice a day for four days then 7.5 twice a day for four days.

Dr. And I are on a journey to find the right combo of meds. Took Vyvanse for 2 years. Had great success but had to increase dosage for it to continue working over time. We stopped at 70 mg once a day when it stopped working. Switched to Adderall 20 mg twice a day. Simply put, it made me feel completely out of control. I seriously thought I was crazy. He wrote a script for Focalin and upped the Adderall to 30 mg twice a day to bridge me while insurance and the pharmacy battle with preapproval. And, so I am here today with my new bottle of Focalin crossing my fingers that it will work.

I am looking for tips on best ways to take it (food vs. no food), time interval between doses, interested in the hydration comments. Looking to maximize effectiveness to see if Focalin can work. Thanks!

Baseline:
.125mcg synthroid in the morning
150 mg Zoloft at bedtime
Zyrtec at bedtime
2 mg Klonopin at bedtime
Tramadol at bedtime for arthritis pain