View Full Version : Share your Methylin Success Stories

netsavy006
02-21-07, 09:39 AM
Share your methylin Successes here. We look forword to reading your success stories here on the forums.

saddboy
02-05-10, 07:21 PM
Hmm no respones, I guess not many people use generic ritalin.

I started on it for a couple of months, started 10mg two times a day for a week, then to 20mg two times a day for another week, now 20mg three times a day. Takes about 40 minutes to kick in, feels great feels like I can do anything, lasts for an hour and a half to two hours, then start feeling it wear off, and serious depression/suicidal thoughts and irritability kicks in. I have to take it about every 2-3 hours. I hate that it goes away so fast, I know I have high metabolism, but does this happen to anyone else with normal metabolism? And it dehydrates me almost completely, excessive thirst and dry mouth, I have to drink tons of water throught the day, especially when it kicks in otherwise the effect isnt as strong, dry mouth lasts all day. Serious appetite suppression and gaggin when I try to eat. Lose weight fast, but I think its mostly water loss. And my heart rate and pressure increases when it takes effect. I really dont like it becuz of these side effects and the fact that it goes away so fast, I have to take about 80mg a day to get a full day of studyiing done, yesterday I used 100mg : /. I really wanna change drugs, but i have no insurance. Does anyone have the same experiences with this drug plz let me know.

cantfocus
02-10-10, 04:38 PM
Saddboy,

I've tried the extended release version. (20 mg tabs) Similar experience as you in terms of feeling pretty good after taking it. Kicks in between 30 and 60 minutes. (I have stopped since, among other things, I started having GI distress.)

It did suppress my appetite and I lost weight.

I can say it made me very irritable, paranoid and not such a pleasure to be around.

The letdown/wear off (I think my Doctor called it titrating out) sucks. (Sorry about the language but that describes it most succinctly).

When it wore off, I experienced very, very bad thoughts, utter fatigue and somewhat of a headache. All in all, the total experience (which started out okay) ended as a mixed bag and I ultimately stopped taking any drugs.

I am looking for natural alternatives to calm my anxiety, help me focus and stop the incessant music I hear in my mind all the time which is a contributor to my distraction.

Hope this helps.

saddboy
02-18-10, 01:43 PM
cantfocus, yes I dont like the extended release either after using it for 3 days I stopped, focus was worse, I was also more easily irritated and annoyed while on the pill as you were. I'm starting to give up on drugs also, but I will try adderall before I give up. Have you tried other drugs? I liked focalin but its a bit pricy even for generic. If you can afford it try focalin, I had much less side effects on it.

BudalaADDzena
02-19-10, 02:27 AM
i only took it 3 times..dont remember the dose..

it shot my HR up really high and i had chest pain and didnt help anything...i tried half but it was the same just a lil less intense...

thats al i remember..oh i had the i can conquer the world attitute too...

saddboy
02-19-10, 04:02 AM
i only took it 3 times..dont remember the dose..

it shot my HR up really high and i had chest pain and didnt help anything...i tried half but it was the same just a lil less intense...

thats al i remember..oh i had the i can conquer the world attitute too...

LOL yup same here loved that euphoria but no chest pain just high pressure and rate, so what did you end up switching to BudalaADDzena or did you stop taking meds.

student426
03-10-10, 06:34 PM
I have had a similar experience as saddboy. At first, taking 20mg every 3-4 hours, this medicine worked great. Not even two weeks after taking this same amount, I can't even see a change in my concentration, only in my mood. When the medicine kicks in I feel awesome, great mood for no reason. Like someone presses a button, as soon as it wears off I feel completely down and sad, again for no reason, usually accompanied by a headache. My doctor has switched me to Adderall, after I told her I didn't want to be on a mood stabilizer (one med to fix the side effect of another? no thanks). I haven't been able to try it yet, but I really don't want to take the Methylin anymore. The up is great, but the down is way too bad.

saddboy
04-01-10, 03:48 AM
Some good news, I tried generic adderall for over a week now, didnt feel any euphoria as I did with methylin/generic ritalin, it was a smoother gentler feeling, and there was no real crash or depression, appetite suppression was much less, I was able to eat when I wanted, there is still dehydration, but much less dry mouth than with methylin. The focus lasts longer, like about 5 hours, and was more consistent than methylin. Price was about 10 bux more, but seems to be worth it. Good luck to whoever is reading, thx for everyone's inputs.

student426
04-01-10, 09:29 PM
Some good news, I tried generic adderall for over a week now, didnt feel any euphoria as I did with methylin/generic ritalin, it was a smoother gentler feeling, and there was no real crash or depression, appetite suppression was much less, I was able to eat when I wanted, there is still dehydration, but much less dry mouth than with methylin. The focus lasts longer, like about 5 hours, and was more consistent than methylin. Price was about 10 bux more, but seems to be worth it. Good luck to whoever is reading, thx for everyone's inputs.
Thats awesome to hear. I just got the adderall too, havent been able to afford it yet. i had almost given up, but it sounds like itll be worth trying. Thanks!

saddboy
04-28-10, 06:18 PM
hey student426 did you get to try the adderall, generic, yet? If so how did it work out for you? The concentration part with adderall wasnt as strong for me as with methylin, want to know if it was same for you.

student426
05-09-10, 10:11 PM
saddboy, no, i havent gotten it yet.. even the generic is 60$ and I havent been able to afford it, school will be out in a week, so I probably wont get it until fall semester starts up. Hopefully it will work though, I stopped taking the Methylin and I've done horrible in school this semester, but I couldnt take the side-effects :(

saddboy
05-20-10, 02:40 PM
student426, I understand, I recently switched back to methylin for the price and stronger focus, but I try not to use it often due to the side effects, I hear you on doing bad in school without it I am suffering the same also, thanks again for your input

Ritalin20Xanax2
09-27-10, 02:59 AM
Hello,
Newbie Here! I do use Methylin 20mg IR since it is very cheap and I do not have insurance. It is just like Ritalin IMO (In my opinion). They are strong and I just realized these are the strongest mg IR tabs. They work great for me, I stay focused at work and work better than I would without them. The only downside to me is I have anxiety/panic disorder so I also get prescribed Klonopin 2mg and Xanax 2mg. The Klonopin I am supposed to take 3 per day and the Xanax I take for Breakthrough Anxiety which is rare. The Klonopin does help with eating since it stimulates appetite and reduces a lot of the anxiety. So, IMO the Methylin is a great choice if you need a cheaper Stimulant for your ADD/ADHD. Anyways, Thanks for reading my story.

-Patrick

PS. Time to read the others now :)

Ritalin20Xanax2
09-27-10, 03:08 AM
no, i haven't gotten it yet.. even the generic is 60$ and I haven't been able to afford it
Hey Student426,
Which Pharmacy are you trying. At CVS, for 60 20mg I have been able to get them for about $30.00. Also, If you have a Walgreen's discount card, the price is about the same. Also, If the side effects are too much; I would talk to your Dr. since that's what I did. I receive Klonopin 2mg and Xanax 2mg now with my Methylin. He has me take 3 Klonopin per day no matter what to get rid of most anxiety and to increase appetite since it does that as well. The Xanax is for Breakthrough Anxiety in case the Klonopin is not doing its job and also because the Xanax works the fastest if I start having a panic attack. Although, I would not ask for such strong benzodiazepines such as the strongest Klonopin and Xanax. I would ask for Valium 10mg or Ativan 1mg. I would recommend the Ativan since it has a long half life. I am not a Dr. though so let the Dr. Decide but bring the idea up to him or tell him you wont take your Methylin. Hope this helps Student426. Thanks for your time and I appreciate you reading this.

-Patrick

special_dx
11-02-10, 11:19 AM
Hi All

I have been trying generic Methylphenidate, I take three doses with 4 hours gap and keep a log of how each dose goes.

So far I have tried 5-5-5, 5-10-5 with no real difference other than a reduction of anxiety and increase in calm - not what I expected and probably the placebo effect.

I have been told to keep it under 30mg per day to start with, but try varying amounts for harder tasks so I may go for 5-15-10 or 5-20-5 tomorrow to stay within this range. I don't take them in the evening as I have a fairly sedate home life and a supportive family.

I am due up at the ADHD clinic on Friday, so i might be told to up the dose or keep going as I am. I will post back if my experience with the drug changes with time or increased dosage.

Cheers
Matt

teaat3
12-05-10, 04:30 PM
It helped me discover normal. I don't get a boost, or altered state. I am in the larger dose range, and when I go below 20mg it becomes very apparent to everyone but me. I am in the middle of migrating to Concerta, and by the looks of things the patch in a couple of months.

Anubis578
12-05-10, 08:36 PM
I just started on 40mg Methylin SR (2 x 20mg in the morning).

I've only been on it for a few days, but I'm not sure I want to continue. It doesn't really help my focus issues. I'm much less distracted, but I find myself constantly hyperfocusing, and breaking focus is difficult. There also does not seem to be any noticeable increase in energy or motivation. Since my doctor knows I have trouble getting out of bed (she says that an ADHD mind wants to remain in the same state of focus, which is why I oversleep), she told me to set one alarm to take my meds and then allow myself to go back to sleep for a little bit. I normally take my meds and then go back to sleep for an hour and a half before I decide that I need to get out of bed, and even then, it is still difficult. During the day, I often notice shorts periods of fatigue/sluggishness. I also notice a pretty severe "comedown" (strange way to describe the recession of drug effects, since I rarely notice any euphoria/mood lift or real stimulation). After the 8-9 hour mark, I feel completely drained and rather depressed. This passes in 20-30 minutes, and I just feel tired, but it is still rather unpleasant. I also find that I am more irritable, especially when people interrupt my focus.

All in all, I'm rather dissatisfied with Methylin, but I'm going to stick with it until my next doctor's appointment in two weeks. Perhaps I just need time to get accustomed to the drug?

On the plus side of the drug, I notice my anxiety is significantly reduced. Also, rather than speeding me up, it seems to slow everything else down, so I have time to process information, making me much less impulsive. I don't feel like I have to "rush" to get things done anymore (when I was not on medication, I felt I had to rush to do things before I lost the motivation). No increase in motivation with the meds, but normal motivation lasts longer.

Ginger Won
04-14-11, 03:34 AM
I found this website just tonight, and I'm really glad I found this particular thread. I've taken Methylin IR and ER for about...I'd say 3 months and I've had a very similar experience. I get the same euphoria you guys are talking about, and it lasts for probably an hour and a half or 2 hours, but in only 3 months I've gone from just 5mg up to now i have to take 60 or 80 mg to feel anything. Recently I've been noticing that I have the same depression/let down feeling when it wears off. A few hours after I take it I feel really depressed, like nothings going to work out right and it's really been wearing on me. I think I'll try either Focalin or Adderall, depending on price. I'm so glad to have found this site, especially this thread. Let me know if anyone finds another good med to try, I need to try some diff. one's to see what's best for me.

darb82
04-17-11, 12:21 AM
I have been on methylin for almost a week taking 2 10mg a day.
The first day I think I noticed a small effect but like others on this thread it lasts maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours.Every day I notice less benefit and now I don't notice anything but a slight headache and tiredness 3 hrs after I take it.
I'm going to call the dr on monday to see if I can increase the dose.So far I'm a bit disappointed in it and I'm curious about adderall since that seems like the most popular med for adhd. I just hope my insurance with cover it.

Doesn't seem like much success with methylin on this forum.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
04-28-11, 04:25 AM
I've taken Methylin because it's the cheapest generic I could find and it definitely helped, I take 20mgs when I wake up, then I take another 10mgs three hours later. I continue to take either 10 or 5 mgs every few hours while I'm working. I take around 50mgs of Ritalin a day. I notice the drop in mood and it's not very pleasant however I noticed that I only need around 5mgs to counteract this if I need to stay up. Otherwise I take my Klonopin if I'm done for the day.

I've noticed that there are some better brands of Ritalin out there. Vyvanse is my favorite ADD drug (I know it's basically dextroamphetamine not methylphenidate) but I can't afford it at the moment, it works wonders though. Still, I'm just thankful to be prescribed something that actually works and allows me to stay focused and move forward in my life.

ASAPMan
06-26-11, 06:44 PM
Well for me it was not much of a success story. Having been on Methylphenidate (Watson from Walgeens) 20mg every 4 hrs. I could not even tell I was taking anything (although my wife could tell within 5 min). When out of town I had my scrip filled at a different pharmacy. They gave me Mythylin same dose. When I took it in the am and went on the beach to do some shelling, I started feeling nauseous, I thought that it was because of bending over alot. As the day went on I realized it was the drug. It also made me feel wired. My Doctor said "yea sure, I've seen this before". Has anyone else had this happen?

Aspie101
06-27-11, 05:39 PM
I don't take Methylin but I have a friend who does....severe ADHD...he only takes 20mg 2x/day plus I think a booster in the PM. Anyways he's a year younger than me but he is top of his class of like 400+ kids in highschool. The kid eats AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, etc. For breakfast lunch and dinner and damn near perfect grades, I think this year he ended with every class being above a 96...My self I take Adderall and it helps allot!

Just Cuz
07-02-11, 02:08 PM
I just started my first dose of 5mg Methylin yesterday and have woken up with the worst headache... I took my dose for today an hour or so ago and I am feeling a reduction in the headache, which may also be due to having a second cup of coffee, some aspirin, and a good hot shower.

Do the headaches go away or do they remain?

I am staying with the 5mg once a day for a week and then 2 times a day for a week before consulting with my doctor. If the headache remains, I will make that a lot sooner. I think my loss of appetite has more to do with the "ice pick in the brain" feeling I am currently having... YARG!

Just Cuz
07-09-11, 12:06 PM
So I have now made it through my first week with some success. I have decided to jot down my experience here so I will have a log of what is working for me and what is not. Bear with me, I'm a "newbie" to this. At 40 years old, I had looked into ADHD as being an issue for me about 6 months ago, diagnosed about 3 months ago, and started meds a week ago. It took me a while with bad insurance to find someone who could handle med management in an affordable manner. Plus, my symptoms are not quickly identifiable as ADHD and first manifested more like depression due to my feelings of "overwhelm" and the doctors were hesitant to treat the ADHD as they wanted to treat it as depression instead.

After just 1 week on Methylin 5 mg, I noticed that I am calmer, am not trying to finish other people's sentences, I did my dishes, and I sat through a work meeting without making inappropriate or impulsive statements. THIS IS HUGE FOR ME! :)

The negatives have been that I get some muscle cramps in my legs & feet, the headache I had at first lasted for about 48 hours, and I had some "fuzzy thinking" for the first day of dosing. I am taking my 2 doses for the first time today and am more hopeful because I feel I know more what to expect and how my body will react.

I don't notice any big changes with motivation but I do see that life does not look as overwhelming and I am able to at least come up with a plan where as before I couldn't even do that.

My 6 year old son has been diagnosed with ADHD/Autism Spectrum and my experience on this med is such that I would consider it very much as an option for him. Before taking it myself, the med had been demonized by peers and family as I work with chemically dependent people in a long term facility. Because of my employment situation, I had to report my med to the work nurse. (I regularly drive clients and if I were to be drug tested, this would show up and could look shady.) The nurse, who knows me on a fairly personal level, commented during our meeting about how "clearheaded and calm" I seemed without any signs of sedation.

Could it be i actually hit the nail on the head with this? :D

cruznmike
08-24-11, 08:04 PM
I am taking generic ritalin as of today, saw my doctor because the adderal ir was causing anxiety and depression. Before adding more drugs to my list he switched me over to ritalin. So far it is a calmer feeling than the adderal. I hope this works because the side effects from adderal were really making me consider living with add without medication. I will see how tonight goes.

manismom
10-08-11, 12:15 AM
I am considering swapping to Methylin. Taking generic Concerta type 36 mg. ER tablet. I would prefer an ER option.

I took Vyvanse and swapped to Concerta, then to the generic when that became available and have been having great success with it.

But we switched insurance and my pharmacy wants $143 a month for my "generic" Rx. I need to find something cheaper.

Since Dextroamphetamine worked in the past (Vyvanse), maybe that is a better option. I am terrified of the irritable/depressed "titrating out" effect described above. Sounds like gasoline to my fire and I do NOT want to add another medicine to the mix. Dare I say, I WILL not? Because I won't. It's hard enough for me to keep track of the little I take now.

Anyone want to comment?

kathrynsmathryn
10-19-11, 06:04 PM
I just started on Methylin ER today (about 30 mins ago). My doc and I are doing a test run with Methylin, so i've only got a 30 day scrip at 20mgs each once daily. So far I don't notice anything yet, but I guess I've got pretty good insurance because I only had to pay $3 for mine. I was hoping for adderall xr, but I guess we were going in a different direction. =/ Oh well, we'll see. I'll check back in later.