View Full Version : Comprehension and Organisation problems

auntchris
03-01-07, 07:23 PM
Hi my name is Chris and I am tutoring a third grader in reading. She has a hard time with comprehension in social studies and science. How can I help with her comprehension problem.

Are there activities that I can do with her, that can help.

Another problem I have noticed is she is forgetful with leaving her books at school. She told me she has a hard time wtih organisation. She puts all her paper in an accordiane folder. I think she needs a binder with section, I know that helps me.

Advice from all would help. Thanks

MissE
09-15-07, 08:36 PM
I have my students read the questions at the end of the chapter/story before they begin reading. I also have them highlight, underline or write down (depending on the book/handout we're using) the main idea of each paragraph. This seems to help with their comprehension.

As far as organization, does she have a homework notepad? I've found it helps students to have one notepad to write down homework for all subjects. She can then check off the books as she puts them in her backpack.

I hope that helps a little!

FrazzleDazzle
09-15-07, 09:41 PM
HI Chris! A lot of kids can get a second set of books for home, because it is quite common to forget to bring them back and forth.

For organization, my son uses a 5 subject notebook with folders between, maybe like what you also use. Still have some backpack floaties, but not as many. I have him go through most every day and sort through everything.

QueensU_girl
09-21-07, 08:27 PM
Comprehension can be a working memory problem (from ADD). Kids forget and can't recall the story line.

Auditory working memory ("listening") is a big problem for people with ADD. They aren't being inattentive on purpose or to aggravate. They really can't 'recall' what was said.

Keep things in small bites of data. And do repetition.

Eventually, have her "teach you", as a sort of "return demonstration."

Being able to "teach it back", indicates mastery.

Kids can also have Conceptual LD (can't see the bigger picture that the smaller facts/details create) or Sequential LDs (get stories or jokes out of order) too.

QueensU_girl
09-21-07, 08:28 PM
re:#2

An awesome idea to hilight, etc.

I think teaching kids how to do "point form" notes or margin note scribbles is really helpful too.

e.g.. like the Cornell Notetaking system, too.

it helps them pull out the Gems of their readings.

Tiddlywinks
12-08-07, 09:52 PM
Many add'rs are right brain learners. Use this to her advantage by tapping her visual memory. Turn every thing into pictures, and use many colors. I found this to be quite successful in my history and science class in which I co-teach.