View Full Version : Project Management Software

nicksut
03-02-07, 03:32 PM
Hi, I just started a new job as a magazine editor for a small university. It suits me well in lots of ways, but there are quite lot of details associated with publishing. I need a good project management tool that will help keep me on-task. I don't need a very elaborate one.. in fact, simpler might be better, so long as I can create hierarchical tasks and I get reminders pop-up etc. Any suggestions? Of course I use outlook, and I suppose a suitable plug-in is a possibility, but nothing too busy. Thanks for any suggestions!! Cheers, Nick

FrankS
05-30-07, 04:24 PM
Hi Nick,

Take a look at GoalEnforcer, I think that's what you are looking for.

http://www.goalenforcer.com

It's clean, visual, simple and very easy to use.

Frank

louiseds
02-27-09, 04:34 AM
Hi Frank

Just found this Forum, and your suggestion to Nick, a while back.

If you are still reading the Forum, are you still using GoalEnforcer? What did it do well? What did it do badly? I cannot find any real customer reviews on the Net.

It looks very clean on the eye. I downloaded the Demo and did the Tute. I think it could be useful for chunking tasks and keeping everything else out of the way. Gotta be better than Outlook by itself, which is very linear, and 'in ya face'.

Do you think the extra features in the full program are worth having at the beginning? Or do they just tie you down to the computer and prevent you getting on with the tasks you are supposed to be doing (and the dreams you are supposed to be realising)?

Are there any other Project Management type programs out there for folk who just want to get through the day productively, rather than the likes of building a nuclear submarine or installing a corporate IT system?

Cheers

Louise

Yogi Bear
03-24-09, 06:56 AM
Agendus for Windows Desktop is excellent for some people. It is an Outlook plug in that changes the interface and allows you to use either the Agendus features or the Outlook features, or a combination of your choice. You can use the icons or not, your choice.

http://www.iambic.com/products/?windows

There is also a version for Blackberry, Palm OS handhelds, and Windows handhelds that syncs with the desktop version.
By the way, the desktop version for Outlook includes the Palm Desktop version and the Palm Desktop version includes the Outlook desktop version.

nicksut
03-25-09, 07:53 PM
Since I first posted this message, I have dabbled with some project management programs, but nothing has really clicked. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the need isn't that pressing anymore, although I still need to find a way to pace the production cycle out so I get more work done up front and don't drive myself crazy working absurd hours and when crunch time comes. Cheers, Nick

louiseds
03-25-09, 09:29 PM
Hi Nick

So some of the problems you had when you started the magazine job might have been getting your head around the job and familiarising yourself with what you actually had to do to publish the magazine?

I guess most people are simply keeping their heads above water for the first few months of any new job anyway, and just trying to be productive. Things always get easier after you have done something a few times.

I have been using Goalenforcer for a few weeks now, and it is nice to see only a few things at a time, which Goalenforcer does. It is easy to see the full picture because there are several ways to view your tasks. I purchased the Hyperfocus version. I think the Hyperfocus feature is invaluable because it gives you all the tasks that *you* class as needing immediate attention in one view, and it doesn't like letting you put more than 7 immediate tasks in the Hyperfocus area, so it is hard to be unrealistic and overload your own expectations of yourself.

I think there are a lot of useful programs out there. I like Goalenforcer because of its visual simplicity. Sure, it is not perfect, but I don't think any of them is perfect. It is just a matter of using something that will help you get over a stumbling block, and if your brain is less overloaded by using it, then that is good. What works now might not be suitable for your brain in twelve months time.

I probably could have made Outlook work better for me, but there is so much on the screen at one time that I get distracted by stuff I do not need to attend to in the here now. And new emails keep arriving and distracting me.

By using GE just for managing myself I can just bury Outlook on the Taskbar and ignore it.

I did convert all my active Outlook tasks to Word documents, so I haven't lost them, but I can now bury links and objects inside them, which is more useful than the straight text used in Outlook tasks. Each Task document corresponds to an Outlook Task Categories. In GE I can include links to websites and documents on my hard drive, so they are immediately accessible from within GE.

Anyway, enough waffle. Hope you are enjoying putting the mag together.

Cheers

Louise

Driver
03-25-09, 10:21 PM
Konolive is cute & free.

http://www.konolive.com/

GONZALESBRYANT
07-13-11, 04:59 AM
I'm not sure?.... has anyone tried time doctor time management software?

My team has just been instructed to install and use it. This software could be considered as harsh. It records every of time worked, as well as sites like the new york times. I'm kind-of concerned about using it. Is it legal in the USA to make people to use this type of software?
not into it
http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/04/14/compare-screen-monitoring-software

nicksut
07-14-11, 01:35 AM
Is it legal? I suspect it probably is, although it does seem a little heavy handed IMO. Companies own your computer, the network, and they are paying you to do their work... I think it's within the law.

How about you think of it as them helping you to be more efficient with your time. The more efficient you are with your time, the more successful you are, and that's good for you. Right?

Okay... I was right the first time. It's too heavy handed and big-brotherish.

On a related topic, I'm using Todoist now and really like it. Best project management tool I've come across. The only thing I need it to do that it doesn't so far is to prompt me every 45 mins to reevaluate... am I hyperfocusing? is what I'm doing now the best use of my time? Do I need to reevaluate my priorities?

By the way, this thread is now several years old and I'm still in the same job and am generally successful. Pulling a magazine together is complex and multifaceted, but at the end of the day there's a clear and well defined goal. If I don't know what to do next, all I have to do is think through the sections of the magazine and figure out what is not in production. Having that single goal--a magazine that's interesting and looks good--is not a bad fit for someone with ADD. I hyperfocus and am perfectionist and drive my writers and designer a little batty, but at the end of the day the product is good, and so I'm forgiven.

Cheers, Nick

Thomas9
07-18-11, 02:13 AM
Latitude has that feature where you can create tasks and sub-tasks from a parent task. Tasks can be assigned to jobs and you can assign to which user can do certain tasks.

Latitude is a desktop project management software so it runs faster and has more functionality.