View Full Version : I Am Ready For College!!!!!! Suggestions?

bandie08
03-05-07, 08:43 AM
I am having a problem with my mom. She wants to hold me back my senior year because she doesn't think Im ready for college. I only have 3 more SOLs to pass before Graduation June 2008. I tried talking to her about it I even said I'll go to a community college. I want her to believe I can do it. I want that Diploma. I just want someone to believe in me.:(

netsavy006
03-05-07, 09:36 AM
I understand how frustrating that can be. I think you need to remind her of how well you are currently doing in school. One thing that can help you out for college are AP classes. AP classes can earn you college credits while still in high school and do look good on college applications. Of course since they are AP they are essentially college coursework so you definatly need to be prepared for it. Also AP classes are significantly cheeper than taking the course at college. All I had to pay for my AP class was $9 for the review book. colleges charge around $550 per credit, for a total of $1650 for that same course. I think the $9 is a big bargan. Doesn't sound like you mom has much confidance in you. Have you talked to her and asked her why she feels the way she does? There may be some logical explination behind her wanting to hold you back. Don't give up. You can do it. Best of luck...

Andy...

Proscrire
03-06-07, 02:09 PM
I am having a problem with my mom. She wants to hold me back my senior year because she doesn't think Im ready for college. I only have 3 more SOLs to pass before Graduation June 2008. I tried talking to her about it I even said I'll go to a community college. I want her to believe I can do it. I want that Diploma. I just want someone to believe in me.:(If I had a dollar for every high school senior who I've ever met that WAS ready for college, I'd have 4 dollars. Sociologists have said for years that the large majority of high school grads are not emotionally or mentally prepared when they start college. However, this doesn't mean they shouldn't go. There are some good books out there for preparing for college with ADHD.

You might also point out to your mom that holding you back sounds like it's going to make a pretty big hit on your self-esteem and could cause you to be more prone to giving up. Often, avoiding the struggle ahead is worse for a person than going through the difficulties. It's called growing up. Any that is very hard for parents to watch. No one likes to watch their kid have a hard time but sometimes it's necessary.

Good luck

auntchris
03-13-07, 12:31 PM
Ready for college? Hmmm? When is one ready for anything in life? Life is a verb and a verb is an a word that describes an action. I understand they want to protect you from failure but it through the failures that we learn.

Understand I am not saying that you will fail, I think when you put your mind to something it will happen. There are many ways people with disabilities can receive help in college. Okay are you diagnosed bandie? Do you have the letter from the doctor about your results? If you dont I would get diagnosed. Then you can receive accommodation in college. Teacher will not know what the problem is unless you tell them.

I would go for the college scene and dont over load yourself the first semester, and make sure you dont take all reading classes, take a math or science class too. or even a phys. ed class. I know you can do it, the attitude is what makes us succeed in life. If I liisten to all the negative things my parents say, esp as they get older I would not be in college and settling on a staying were I am. I am in college, even though they dont think I should be because of the loans and they dont think I can do it. I am goin going to prove them all wrong, get the job, the small house with a back yard for my dog. That is my dream . Think of what you want do with you degree, and write it out and keep that in mind as you Go For it!

livinginchaos
03-13-07, 01:13 PM
Do you have a guidence counselor?

I'd talk with a guidence counselor and explain what's going on. Then, have you and your mom meet w/ the guidence counselor.

bandie08
03-14-07, 07:18 AM
Ready for college? Hmmm? When is one ready for anything in life? Life is a verb and a verb is an a word that describes an action. I understand they want to protect you from failure but it through the failures that we learn.

Understand I am not saying that you will fail, I think when you put your mind to something it will happen. There are many ways people with disabilities can receive help in college. Okay are you diagnosed bandie? Do you have the letter from the doctor about your results? If you dont I would get diagnosed. Then you can receive accommodation in college. Teacher will not know what the problem is unless you tell them.

I would go for the college scene and dont over load yourself the first semester, and make sure you dont take all reading classes, take a math or science class too. or even a phys. ed class. I know you can do it, the attitude is what makes us succeed in life. If I liisten to all the negative things my parents say, esp as they get older I would not be in college and settling on a staying were I am. I am in college, even though they dont think I should be because of the loans and they dont think I can do it. I am goin going to prove them all wrong, get the job, the small house with a back yard for my dog. That is my dream . Think of what you want do with you degree, and write it out and keep that in mind as you Go For it!
yes I am Diagnosed with ADHD

auntchris
03-31-07, 12:11 PM
Then I would give it a try.

Get the accommodation in order with the disability office.
I didnt do well in high school, I had a lot of family issue, we had no idea that there were problems , parent didnt know what to do.

If you have problem with family, I would talk to a therapist at the same time you in school, they can help you with the anxiety of going to college. I am doing that at the moment. I see my psychologist every Tuesday, and we work on homework, anxiety, what ever I need to do that week.

I also have some nice teacher this semseter, except for one....then you go to a tutor for help.

If you are unsure start at a community college to get you feet wet. I did that and like it I am doing better in college than I did in high school.

I think alot of it is maturity, in college, you grow emotionally, and learn from mistake and believe me I have made some. I am confident you can do it. Do over load yourself... I dont take more that 12 credits and dont take all the same kind of class..get a math class in there to break up the reading.