View Full Version : Bipolar, ADHD and boderline Mistaken diagnosis

nmaadd
03-06-07, 05:26 PM
These three diagnosis seem to be frequently confused as all are formally described with mood swings and racing thoughts; Ima interested in hearing about people's experience with misdiagnosis to better understand the issues and reduce the risk of this happening. It is not well expalined in the scientific literature.

Crazy~Feet
03-06-07, 05:51 PM
They can be easily confused and also exist at the same time in any one person as well.

meadd823
03-10-07, 08:18 AM
They can be easily confused and also exist at the same time in any one person as well.

Which makes the two easy to get mixed up even for the most experienced doctor. I was diagnosis bi-polar before ADHD because I was so hyperactive the doc who was not experienced in adults with ADD thought I was in hypo mania even though I am hyper all the time.

My sister was diagnosis with ADD but was unable to really get leveled out on her medications. She had several episodes of depression which seemed to lift rather wonderfully after just a short treatment with antidepressant which she would thankfully discontinue . . . .probably why sever mania never developed as a result of antidepressant use.

Then it was noticed She had some episodes of being unable to sleep mixed with other episodes of being unable to get her happy hinny out of the bed. She was diagnosis as having bi-polar as well as ADD. The addition of her bi-polar medication seems to have decreased her ADD medications dosages drastically.

IN other wards her external expression of moodiness was control by the ADD medications however the effects of the bi-polar were not..she still had period of insomia and irritability {people in my family simply do not have pleasent episodes of mania I don't guess} PLus we have bi-polar family members as well. My father and my daughter {her niece} are bi-polar. My sister and my daughter are a lot alike in many ways. I think spending time with my daugher may have begun my sisters suspicions of having more going on than ADD,

I have sleep problems but they were not the same as my sisters, Hers lasted longer and seemed much more sever although having a shadow symptomology would not be out of the question for myself based upon my family history. My moods are normally fairly even however age has produced some sleep problems and days of bla where my hyperness actually decreases. The absence of extreme moodiness lasting longer than 30 seconds is why I do not fit the diagnostic criteria for bi-polar, I was simply meant to live on Mars.

ADD normally is seen as beginning at an early age. I was bouncy in the womb according to my mother. Bi-polar normally manifest it self later in life such as late adolescent early adulthood IN some cases symptoms of bi-polar may not become noticeable into the mid-thirties even into the 40s however most people I know who were diagnosed later in life did struggle with depression.

If the bi-polar is sever enough such as in cases like my daughter extremes in moods may be detectable very early in life . . . .like when she was in diapers. My daughters need for ADD control was also drastically reduced when bi-polar medications were startedl.

My daughter was diagnosis at 13 when antidepressant therapy for a sever depression sent her into a 72 hour manic “griping” spree. . . . .she was up 3 days solid and griped every second and was very irritable. Unknown to me at the time mania isn't necessarily this grad feeling of euphoria or total psychosis. I did not realize uncontrollable boughs of irritation could be mania. In the case of my daughters 3 day griping spree the following Monday morning I was waiting for the doctor in his office an hour before he arrived . . . I had an ultimatum he was fixing my daughter or taking her home with him.

It would be nice if we came with " contence" labels it would make these things so much easier to detect and treat.

Scattered
03-10-07, 12:45 PM
It's easy to understand how the three diagnosis get mixed up so often -- not only do they frequently occur together, they also share many symptoms. When I sat down to look at the list for borderline disorder, I was amazed how many would fit the average ADDer. I think it actually looks a bit different in reality but the words used to described both conditions have one meaning for ADD and another for Borderline.

The obvious hyperness of a ADHD individual can easily as Meadd described look like bipolar. I agree with Meadd though that for a hyperactive ADDer that usually shows up very early in life (unlike inattentive ADD which may not come out until sometime in school). My mom said that by one year of age they knew something was up with me and I had a hyperactive diagnosis by 4 or so. It is hard though, because ADHD also tends to make someone have a lot more situational ups and down. But like Meadd said they can quickly be gotten over. I was in a crying discouraged funk yesterday, until I got a phone call than straightened up a problem and then I was happy as a lark the rest of the day. For a bipolar, the ups and downs are more determined by internal forces, while for an ADDer they're more situational in nature.

Of course, ADDers are more prone to both depression and anxiety than most folks and that can confuse the picture more. Also, unless comorbid ADD is also present, most bipolar folks don't have focus problems present as an ongoing problem. The attentional, forgetful issues for an ADDer never change. If I remember my statistics correctly, if a child has a bipolar episode they have a very high chance of also having ADD (way over 50%). If the diagnosis doesn't come until the teen years it's about a 50% chance, and if not until adulthood, there is much less of a chance of ADD being present.

Scattered

justhope
03-10-07, 09:34 PM
Which makes the two easy to get mixed up even for the most experienced doctor. I was diagnosis bi-polar before ADHD because I was so hyperactive the doc who was not experienced in adults with ADD thought I was in hypo mania even though I am hyper all the time.

My sister was diagnosis with ADD but was unable to really get leveled out on her medications. She had several episodes of depression which seemed to lift rather wonderfully after just a short treatment with antidepressant which she would thankfully discontinue . . . .probably why sever mania never developed as a result of antidepressant use.

Then it was noticed She had some episodes of being unable to sleep mixed with other episodes of being unable to get her happy hinny out of the bed. She was diagnosis as having bi-polar as well as ADD. The addition of her bi-polar medication seems to have decreased her ADD medications dosages drastically.

IN other wards her external expression of moodiness was control by the ADD medications however the effects of the bi-polar were not..she still had period of insomia and irritability {people in my family simply do not have pleasent episodes of mania I don't guess} PLus we have bi-polar family members as well. My father and my daughter {her niece} are bi-polar. My sister and my daughter are a lot alike in many ways. I think spending time with my daugher may have begun my sisters suspicions of having more going on than ADD,

I have sleep problems but they were not the same as my sisters, Hers lasted longer and seemed much more sever although having a shadow symptomology would not be out of the question for myself based upon my family history. My moods are normally fairly even however age has produced some sleep problems and days of bla where my hyperness actually decreases. The absence of extreme moodiness lasting longer than 30 seconds is why I do not fit the diagnostic criteria for bi-polar, I was simply meant to live on Mars.

ADD normally is seen as beginning at an early age. I was bouncy in the womb according to my mother. Bi-polar normally manifest it self later in life such as late adolescent early adulthood IN some cases symptoms of bi-polar may not become noticeable into the mid-thirties even into the 40s however most people I know who were diagnosed later in life did struggle with depression.

If the bi-polar is sever enough such as in cases like my daughter extremes in moods may be detectable very early in life . . . .like when she was in diapers. My daughters need for ADD control was also drastically reduced when bi-polar medications were startedl.

My daughter was diagnosis at 13 when antidepressant therapy for a sever depression sent her into a 72 hour manic “griping” spree. . . . .she was up 3 days solid and griped every second and was very irritable. Unknown to me at the time mania isn't necessarily this grad feeling of euphoria or total psychosis. I did not realize uncontrollable boughs of irritation could be mania. In the case of my daughters 3 day griping spree the following Monday morning I was waiting for the doctor in his office an hour before he arrived . . . I had an ultimatum he was fixing my daughter or taking her home with him.

It would be nice if we came with " contence" labels it would make these things so much easier to detect and treat.Hey do I get royalties or something sis???? Ok she is talking about me..here...

This is my story. At the age of 24 I was dx with ADD. I am not hyper, well not on the outside...(my title above says it well, feline minded (cats are hyper and good examples of ADHD IMO/ perpetual sloth ..yep don't like much activity...all stuck in my head! busy busy in there)

After about a year or so I was unsatisfied totally with the dx, due to depression. I was dx with mild clinical depression. And my sister is dead on. I felt okay in the beginning but it never lasted. Fast forward to 2006, now 36 years old. I am tired of not feeling totally fixed? And the episodes, taht were once minor and quick in nature have worsened considerably?

I love to sleep, and I am a miser? These disrupted me so much
I just had to come to terms.with the facts (and my biggest fear) my original diagnoses, just skimmed the surface of something much bigger.

I knew quite a bit about bi-polar as Tam mentioned. My family and others I was close to had it. I also knew it from my once obsessive curiosity of it, I read many many stories about it, personal and medical. Patty Duke"s biograpy about it was my first one. And that was my introduction to something the doctor said I am classified as Cyclothymia, however he put me under BPDII officially.
But it took me until the extreme symptoms made me so uncomfortable I had to do something. I just couldn't deal with not sleeping for days...and then crashing...and trying to work and raise 3 ADD boys...and I can't stand ruining the credit I worked very hard to repair! That was it.

So for me it wasn't that hard, since I had family with it. One of the factors most favorable to get dx in the first place. And I had it later in life, also another sign, and I had the extremes...hypomania...insomnia followed by decreased need for sleep....

I don't believe I was misdiagnosed with the ADD...since I tested the theory myself with my pdocs permission, and took myself of the stimulants for a few weeks, after I was stable on the Lamictal. Well I did okay most of the time, but discovered, I still had issues focusing and some of the other ADD traits. So back on the Adderall I went, but I lowered them by 20mg, and that seems to be fine. As long as I take my Lamictal they work for me on the ADD and don't push me into the hypomania....The key of course is staying on the Lamictal, which for me is easy...unlike many of the other Bipolars out there, I don't like the hypomanic stage...it's no fun for me....
I am working on leveling out the Lamictal for the perfect mix. I am thinking the 100mg need to go to 150 since I am still struggling a little bit with the depression/ and hypomanic "irritability" although I sleep now..aaah...BTW this is something already suggested to me by my doctor. He said I can adjust them to the 150 if I still had some uncomfortable swings, just not up to the 200 mark without talking to him, since some people stuggle with hitting the depression agian after 250-300 mark. No thanks...I want a mix I can live with. No perfect fix, just quality of life!

Here is a link that has some info I read sooooo many....

http://add.about.com/od/comorbidconditions/a/adhdbipolar.htm
http://add.about.com/od/bipolardisorde1/a/moodvsbipolar.htm

http://www.bipolarcentral.com/articles/ADDandADHD.asp

I hope that helps well at least my perspective and story....

Hope

meadd823
03-11-07, 05:00 AM
Hey do I get royalties or something sis???? Ok she is talking about me..here...

I will pay you when I get paid - LOL!

Hey I did not say which sister. . . I do have more than one. . oh you know that. . . .okay pill time the meds are gone. If left unmedicated tonight I am going to be a dingie ADDer. . .some times I am the funny ADDer then there is the multiple meaning ADDer if I wasn't ADD I might have multiple personality but the big problem being they are all part of my personality. . . .

Thanks for offereing the first hand appraoch. . . . now for those pills.

meadd823
03-11-07, 05:29 AM
Similarities and Differences Between ADHD Subtypes (http://www.add.org/articles/SimilaritiesandDifferencesBetweenADHDSubtypes.html )

The combined type group is the most common, occurring in 61% of identified cases compared to 30% for the inattentive type and 9% for the hyperactive impulsive type.

For each subtype, there was a significant time lag from when symptoms were first evident to when the child was referred for treatment. This ranged from 1.9 years for the hyperactive/impulsive type to 4.4 years for the inattentive type. This is an extremely important and disturbing finding because it indicates that most children with ADHD do not receive any treatment until several years after their symptoms were first apparent. As a result, both children and parents are struggling unnecessarily for an extended period before any professional help is obtained.

Children with the combined type had higher rates of behavior disorders (conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder) than the other two subtypes. They also had higher rates of bipolar disorder. Even children who had the inattentive symptoms only, still had higher rates of these disorders than children without ADHD.

Children in the different groups did not differ in how often they were diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Children with the combined type or inattentive type were more likely to be depressed than children with the hyperactive/impulsive subtype.

This study is valuable for several reasons. First, it provides validation for the current diagnostic system in which 3 different types of ADHD are listed. Because differences in children’s functioning was related to which type of ADHD they had, the different diagnostic groupings actually reflect important differences between children and not just labels that don’t relate to anything that really matters.

The study also highlights that children with the combined type diagnosis (those who show both inattentive and hyperactive/impulsive symptoms) are likely to be at greater risk for other psychiatric disorders (specifically conduct disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, and bipolar disorder). Parents whose child has the combined type diagnosis need to be especially vigilant about these other kinds of difficulties. Speaking specifically with your child’s physician and/or psychologist about ways to minimize the chances of these other conditions developing can be quite important.

{End Quote}

Interesting information possibly.