View Full Version : Anyone have an opinion on this book: ADHD in Adulthood: A Guide to Current Theory...

Gregster
01-02-04, 11:41 AM
I just ordered this book "ADHD in Adulthood: A Guide to Current Theory, Diagnosis, and Treatment By Margaret Weiss" I hope it is a good one - the reviews on Amazon were good. Does anyone have experience with it?
I ordered it 'cus I wanted a more technical book and I could get a used copy for $30 vs. $65 new!
I'll let you know what I think once I receive it.

Gregster
01-14-04, 12:44 PM
The book arrived and I've given it a good first go through.
It's a thorough and well written book with good references.
It's aimed at physicians and clinicians, but is written in a way that most should understand.
I would highly recommend it - it's full of usefull information and very little "fluff".
I ordered a used copy of the hardcover, because I didn't realize that it was available in a cheaper softcover version. The copy I have is about 4 years out of date - not much really, but I the softcover is more recent, so if you are interested, that's the version I would order.

Andrew
01-14-04, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Gregster. What, if anything, did you get out of it, from a personal perspective?

aforceforgood
01-14-04, 05:29 PM
For reviews on everything, a site that I particularly love is epinions.com. Granted, it's dubious that they might have reviews of an ADD book, but for most things they do, and it gets better all the time.

I recently reviewed the nokia 3650 and found out that I had earned 14 cents through some kind of profit-sharing program, so in about 50 years maybe I'll be able to buy myself a videogame or something... heh

Is there a book review section here Big?

Gregster
01-14-04, 07:42 PM
What did I get out of the book so far? I think a bit more confidence that I do indeed have ADD. I find the clinical nature of the book more convincing than the anicdotal stuff you read in other books that are aimed more at laymen.
I also learned a bit of interesting info on Tourettes - I'd always thought of it as a more "noticable" condition i.e. You'd be able to recognise it if you saw it. Now I think that I used to have a minor tic - I used to do a lot of "sniffling" - which drove my father crazy, and for which I went through a painful nose operation to try and correct (to make it easier to breath through my nose so I wouldn't sniff). When I read the chapter on co-morbid conditions and recognized the sniffing as a possible tic I was stunned! Oddly enough I don't "sniff" anymore, but it wasn't a result of the operation - I stopped after that, but I don't know for what reason.

Tara
01-14-04, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by aforceforgood

Is there a book review section here Big?

This is the book review section.

aforceforgood
01-15-04, 06:16 PM
ah. well, I always just hit the "new posts" button and then check those out.

It occurred to me that this thread might be in that section, but only after I was away from the computer.

durrrrrrrrrrr.

It's like I keep saying, for a smart guy, I do some pretty dumb stuff sometimes. o well.