View Full Version : Help finding a clinical Psychologist

JimmyHo286
03-08-07, 04:22 PM
Hey!
I'm new to this site, but already it has helped me soo much. After reading the symptoms and talking to my family doctor, I can pin point the cause of my academic problems. Comming from a strict asian background, my underachivement in my school has been always regarded as sheer lack of willpower, and my parents never accepted the fact that there might be something wrong. Yet, after finding the courage, I talked to my doctor and he agreeded that I take the steps in getting diagnosed in ADHD. Now being in 3rd year of university, and almost failing out (even though countless hours of studying), I've been desperatly trying to search for clinical psychologists that might be able to assess me, yet it seems like its a LONG line-up and the expenses are over bearing for a low-income struggling student lke me. I do have some saving left, but I can't find a good (which I mean can do it for less then $1000) psychologists in the LONDON, ONTARIO region. Are there any Canadians out there that can recommend any? I just want help quickly, so I can finally show my parents that it wasn't just a lack of discipline. Maybe then, my parents will come in terms, and not regard me as a failure.

QueensU_girl
03-08-07, 04:48 PM
Your situation sounds so much like mine, it's not funny. I was in 3rd year of my second Bachelor's degree.

I would suggest contacting your local LD/ADHD Association for a Testing Psychologist name.

I would suggest contacting your School's Special Needs Office for Funding, as Testing is covered by BSWD (Bursary for Students with Disabilities).

Program INFO: http://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/bswd.htm#BSWD-CSGD

APPLICATION FORM: (ITEM #7 on this form is "LD Assessment", which includes ADHD Assessment". That is how Queen's U does it, anyhow.)
http://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/PDF/0203/34-1327.pdf

HappyMom
07-09-07, 12:36 AM
I would like to suggest that you consider getting a HANDLE screening. The HANDLE Institute (www.handle.org (http://www.handle.org/)) is very good at figuring out which systems are not supporting a person fully and giving them activities to help them better organize their brain and make learning easier and more efficient. A lot of clients feel very validated once they understand how people take in and process information, and that some of their systems are not operating efficiently. A Psychologist will give you a diagnosis (a label) and probably a prescription, but a HANDLE program will help you solve the problem.

I'm sorry that your family doesn't understand what is really going on. That must be incredibly frustrating for you.

QueensU_girl
07-09-07, 12:40 AM
Is there a location near London, ON?

HappyMom
07-09-07, 12:51 AM
If you go to www.handle.org (http://www.handle.org) and click on "HANDLE Providers", then International (because HANDLE HQ is in the US), then look under both the screener link and the provider link for the country of interest.

I don't know Canada at all, so I don't know if these are close, but here is the listing:

<TABLE height=212 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="90%" bgColor=#d9d1c6 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left width="29%" bgColor=#f3f1eb rowSpan=6>Valerie MacLean http://www.handle.org/images/Affiliates/ValerieM.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Address:</TD><TD vAlign=top width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>The Phoenix Alternative Learning Centre

150 O'Carroll Ave.

Peterborough, Ontario

Canada, K9H 4V3

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Phone:</TD><TD width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>(705)755-0200 </TD></TR><TR><TD width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Fax:</TD><TD width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>(705)755-0400 </TD></TR><TR><TD width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Email:</TD><TD width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript><!--// eMail Obfuscator Script 2.1 by Tim Williams - freeware{ coded = "E2H4@6F4I2EUMBYI02MYEWI.K4A" cipher = "aZbYcXdWeVfUgThSiRjQkPlOmNnMoLpKqJrIsHtGuFvEwDxCyB zA1234567890" shift=coded.length link="" for (i=0; i<coded.length; i++){ if (cipher.indexOf(coded.charAt(i))==-1){ ltr=coded.charAt(i) link+=(ltr) } else { ltr = (cipher.indexOf(coded.charAt(i))-shift+cipher.length) % cipher.length link+=(cipher.charAt(ltr)) } } document.write("Click here to send email ("]Click here to send email[/email]") }//-->***********Website:[/size]</TD><TD width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>www.phoenixalternative.com (http://www.phoenixalternative.com/) </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left width="29%" bgColor=#f3f1eb rowSpan=4>Tamara McEachern

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Address:</TD><TD vAlign=top width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Neurodevelopmental Educational Therapist

Centre for HANDLE and Complementary Therapies

1825 Pilgrims Way

Oakville, Ontario

L6M 1X2

Canada

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Phone:</TD><TD width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>(905) 825-6784 Fax: 905-825-6784</TD></TR><TR><TD width="9%" bgColor=#f3f1eb>Email:</TD><TD width="73%" bgColor=#f3f1eb><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript><!--// eMail Obfuscator Script 2.1 by Tim Williams - freeware{ coded = "9xnplnsp5y@sz9xltw.nzx" cipher = "aZbYcXdWeVfUgThSiRjQkPlOmNnMoLpKqJrIsHtGuFvEwDxCyB zA1234567890" shift=coded.length link="" for (i=0; i<coded.length; i++){ if (cipher.indexOf(coded.charAt(i))==-1){ ltr=coded.charAt(i) link+=(ltr) } else { ltr = (cipher.indexOf(coded.charAt(i))-shift+cipher.length) % cipher.length link+=(cipher.charAt(ltr)) } } document.write("Click here to send email ("]Click here to send email") }//-->***********[email="tmceachern@hotmail.com) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I hope that helps. You might also want to poke around the website for information. Under the link "Info For Starters", there is a booklet called "The Real Reasons Kids Don't Learn", and it has a good explanation of how one's systems need to work together efficiently, and then many of the systems are discussed individually, with descriptions of behaviors you might experience if these systems are weak. You might find that very validating.

Good luck!

Imnapl
07-09-07, 02:13 AM
A Psychologist will give you a diagnosis (a label) and probably a prescriptionA psychologist cannot prescribe medications, but a psychiatrist can. Lots of people get this mixed up. :)