View Full Version : ADHD drug use rises worldwide

jeaniebug
03-09-07, 11:03 AM
An interesting article I found this morning. I love this quote:

"Clearly, ADHD -- which has substantial genetic liability -- is not just a figment of American doctors' imaginations."

From the ArcaMax Publishing, Health & Fitness Newsletter:
http://www.arcamax.com/news/healthtips/s-169794-336795

<SMALL>ADHD drug use rises worldwide
</SMALL>
WASHINGTON (UPI) -- The number of countries using psycho-stimulant drugs to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder has tripled worldwide, according to a new U.S. study.

The study, published in the Journal of Health Affairs, found the United States, Canada and Australia showed higher-than-expected rates of ADHD medication usage between 1993 and 2003. It also found France, Sweden, Korea and Japan showed increased drug usage.

The United States remains the global leader in ADHD drug spending, at $2.4 billion, yet the study reported spending by other countries rose nine-fold during a 10-year period.

This trend helps to prove that ADHD is an actual disease, said Stephen Hinshaw, chair of University of California at Berkeley's department of psychology and a co-author of the study.

"Clearly, ADHD -- which has substantial genetic liability -- is not just a figment of American doctors' imaginations," he said in a statement.

The study looked at data from the member nations of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which mostly includes nations from North America, Europe and Asia.
<SMALL>This news arrived on: 03/06/2007</SMALL>

Vhan
03-11-07, 11:03 PM
This trend helps to prove that ADHD is an actual disease
So its a common idea inside of the medical community that ADD isn't a "real" disease?

Then again, depending on who you ask on the forums, some would proabley say it is, and some would proabley say it isn't..Hmmm

jeaniebug
03-11-07, 11:20 PM
So its a common idea inside of the medical community that ADD isn't a "real" disease?

I think it is more outside the medical community. Like Tom Cruise!

lars
03-11-07, 11:29 PM
Nice article. Thanks for sharing that jeaniebug

goughy
03-12-07, 04:04 PM
Just a heads up for anyone reading this from Australia. Seven Sunrise is having a story this morning on the druging of a generation. A leading ADHD expert will be discussing the over use of medication.

Since I am in queensland many may miss this (I am an hour behind other eastern states) but you might be lucky. I will try and tape it to watch after work and might give a breakdown of what they said.

Proscrire
03-13-07, 11:34 AM
THink there's anyway for people here in the US to see it?

It sounds worth viewing, if only to see how other parts of the world see ADD.