View Full Version : this girl in my class has ADD.........

Just Weird
03-09-07, 05:29 PM
And she is a little wierd and she anounced that she has ADD to the whole class :eek: and when she did I just looked around the room really not knowing wat 2 do .Because Only 2 of my closest friends know I have ADD.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

xyser
03-09-07, 10:46 PM
i don't think i'll ever tell random people that i take meds....unless i know them/an ice breaker LOL. it's just like "basdhfajdsfk too many ppl just pop pillz and aren't ADD." i don't give a **** about that but people think that i don't have add/it's an escape/easy way of being not lazy type of thing...

do now and then tell ppl i have add though...idk...class is pretty intense....

netsavy006
03-09-07, 10:59 PM
I'm the kind of person who tells everyone that he takes pills and has a "mental illness". I don't hide the fact that I need meds nor have a disability. It makes me who I am and if I need pills then I need pills and other's should be ok with it. Why should it have to be something to hide. Be proud of who you are and be proud that you have a pill that helps you be who you want to be...

Vhan
03-09-07, 11:48 PM
I don't think that anything is really "expexted" from you, I would just treat her like any outher classmate :)

~boots~
03-10-07, 12:38 AM
Why should it have to be something to hide. Be proud of who you are and be proud that you have a pill that helps you be who you want to be...well said ..but, I am with Jw, I don't tell people either :eek: ..I find it weird when my kids bring home a new friend..and they say "hi, this is James, he has ADD"
I am like :eek: thinking, why can't you just say, "hi this is James, he is 15 and goes to my school" LOL

Imnapl
03-10-07, 01:23 AM
People with disabilities have been trying to hide them and be accepted as people for so long. This isn't about having something to hide; it's about acceptance without labels.

fastmover
03-31-07, 01:00 AM
Tell her you have ADD then you can make a connection,

auntchris
03-31-07, 11:51 AM
I agree with Imnapl

We have been trying to be accepted for such along time.... dont be fraid to tell people that there is a problem, esp if they can help.

I only tell people if it comes up in a conversation.Believe me it does.

Didi
04-12-07, 05:08 PM
I wish it could be so easily accepted by people, but it seems that whenever I tell people that I have add they get all wierd. Now I am torn, I could hide it, but then be punished for things that are beyond my control. Or I could tell people and have them treat me like I am stupid or something. I don't know what to do!!

QueensU_girl
04-12-07, 06:23 PM
I'd imagine that a disclosure done that broadly to a crowd can be a bit unsettling to people.

I remember being in school and some kid announced that her dad was bisexual.

Kids don't really always get "boundaries" yet, and some can kind of 'overdisclose' to people that don't deserve the information or might misuse it. (e.g. bullies; rumour mongers)

People -=should=- be able to disclose and be free and unencumbered, but one has to be wise to the fact that there ARE people (who may be jealous or who might try to hurt us) and can be wanting to take advantage of our perceived "vulnerabilities", socially, or power-wise.

One can get looks like "what is her problem?", for sharing such personal information, too, which might increase discomfort [and theirs].

Info-sharing in social communication tends to be 'tit for tat', and go back and forth. It can feel weird when we know too much vulnerable or damaging information about someone, and they know nothing about us.

Better to share such info. with people we trust and who don't judge us on just one Factor.

brittalitt
04-16-07, 10:00 PM
I don't really mind who knows that I have ADHD, it's a part of me.

Paws13
04-19-07, 01:36 PM
And she is a little wierd and she anounced that she has ADD to the whole class :eek: and when she did I just looked around the room really not knowing wat 2 do .Because Only 2 of my closest friends know I have ADD.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:
Well that's an awfully bold act.

I haven't even told my close friends... they just think I'm nuts :D The only people that know are my teachers, parents, therapist, and VERY best friend (who, is more like a sister). My own biological sister doesn't even know xD I suppose when I get a job, I'll tell my boss I have it, that way s/he can understand why I didn't hand in the paperwork in time. Maybe I should have told my old boss, then she would have stopped yelling at me for not photographing things right...

Not like it's a HUGE secret, but it's not exactly something you tell to everyone and their mother.

Gentoo
07-12-07, 12:57 AM
Well I know this is an old post but I've thought a lot about this and I thought it would be a good idea to stress my idea on the whole thing. Who knows? It could either help others or others could make me realise a mistake.

When mother found out I had AD/HD she knew nothing about it. They neglected to tell her ANYTHING. In fact, she thought it was "ADD" and that "AD/HD" was a different condition. I went on thinking I had ADD and, knowing nothing about it except "they can't concentrate" I figured I should never tell anyone or else I would look stupid. In tests I would beat myself up whenever I couldn't concentrate "why do I have ADD? Argh I hate myself! blablabla". Little did I know that the real reason I was having these blocks in every test was because I was beating myself up over them in the first place and that the occasional one is normal and shows that you just need to relax for a few minutes and start that question again or if you are lost for time go on to the really easy questions and come back to that when you feel better.

Oneday a friend of mine was talking to me about how he doesn't understand why people keep some secrets when they are nothing to hide and he just straight off the bat told me "I have mild ADD. It is genius ADD. I just don't tell people because it has a lot of bad stigma". This was when we were about 11 and I said nothing. I just nodded and changed the subject.

It wasn't until recently that I learned about AD/HD and realised it isn't for crazies and it isn't something to be ashamed off. It is just something that makes me different and it has positive and negative aspects that affect me everyday but I am lucky because now that I know why I have these problems I can work towards fixing them. Some people never find a lable for their problems and so they won't have things such as the addforums for support.

Anyway, I have the tendency to talk about what I am obsessed with. I can't help it. It is just all that I want to talk about, regardless of whether the other person is interested. So oneday, quite recently, I told my friends. I also told two of my teachers when they asked me why I was having these problems even though I am a bright kid and can manage everything else.

So now to the point:

It is a good idea to tell people so that they can understand but just remember that one shouldn't be esoteric when explaining something. The chances are, they'll be like me and only know what they've heard "stupid, hyper". They'll change their view of you and consistently see the negatives in you as a result. You must educate them, atleast briefly of what AD/HD REALLY is and why you are better at some things yet you can't seem to manage other things.

Another tip is: avoid telling ignorant people and ESPECIALLY people you don't get along with. Why? They just won't listen. "You have AD/HD?" and from that day in that is one more reason for them to dislike you or if they are just simply ignorant they'll only think you are creating an excuse for yourself.

Lastly: sure, tell people if it fits in with the conversation or if you feel like it but telling everybody at once is probably not the best idea. You need to be able to manage the mixed reactions of everybody. You want to teach and you want to be able to help them and have them help you with each other's problems but you WILL find an ignorant fool in the bunch who you can not get along with and you need to make sure the news doesn't spill.

I hope this helped :).