View Full Version : Please Help

03-13-07, 09:35 AM
I am very frusterated and upset with the way my 13 year old daughter's school is treating her. She has an IEP in place (she has ADD) and I am very new to ALL of this. So me advocating for her is very difficult sometimes. However, I DO NOT believe that she should be labeled as the "troubled child, troubled student" in her school....
I receive weekly progress reports in the mail and each and every one of them states that my daughter needs to learn how to concentrate more on her schoolwork...she needs to stop being disruptive (blurting out answers), she needs to learn how to be prepared for class, etc...
I receive phone calls from her diciplinarian, saying that my daughter has been put in "in-house" suspension for her disruptive actions (blurting out answers)...or she was taken out of class because of her bouncing her leg up and down, etc...
She has gotten suspended already 3 times this year for RIDICULOUS reasons. She is being labeled as a problem child and I do not like it one bit.
Right now she is in-house suspension, has 2 after school detentions and 2 Saturday detentions!
I requested a meeting for this Thursday w/ ALL of her teachers, counselors, etc...
I just don't know what to do or what to say at this meeting.
I feel like they talk down to me at these meetings and they take advantage of the fact that I am new to this and am not very experienced in dealing with this.
Any suggestions or help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
:faint: :eek: :confused:

03-13-07, 01:53 PM
Hi there!

I sympathise! My 7-year-old son has been in similar situations.

Here's where you put on your "Warrior Mom" armor and go in with all you've got: IDEA (the federal law governing special education), has clear guidelines for disciplining "disabled" kids with IEPs in place... check this out:

This site ( is awesome for finding out everything you always wanted to know about special ed law but were afraid to ask!

Let me know if you need any more assistance ... having BTDT, I hope I can help.