View Full Version : Maybe It's Just Me? HELP

brittalitt
03-14-07, 06:45 PM
I sure hope it isn't just me, and i'm not sure if it's related to my ADHD or just being a teenager, but i agonize over EVERYTHING, i'm extremly self-concious, and i'm always worrying if i said the right thing or not.. maybe it's self-esteem issues; especially when it comes to guys and relationships of that sort; and then I play it off like it's cool. I'm constantly replaying conversations in my head where I did or said something dumb..
IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!
-brit

Alpha One
03-14-07, 09:32 PM
That happens to me too sometimes. I usually find that most of the time you can't mess up a conversation to the point that it won't blow over relatively quickly though. Good luck. :)

auntchris
03-15-07, 01:00 PM
I sure hope it isn't just me, and i'm not sure if it's related to my ADHD or just being a teenager, but i agonize over EVERYTHING, i'm extremly self-concious, and i'm always worrying if i said the right thing or not.. maybe it's self-esteem issues; especially when it comes to guys and relationships of that sort; and then I play it off like it's cool. I'm constantly replaying conversations in my head where I did or said something dumb..
IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!
-brit

Oh brit you sound like my niece. Mary Allison is 13 and she is the worry wart of the family like her aunt. I use to worry about everything. I think alot of it part of being a teenager and worring about fitting in and having your peers like you.

Are you seeing someone hun? Sometimes if you talk to a therapist ( I do) they can see it objectivly and give you some suggestions.

Is there a counselor at school or therapist that you can talk to?
I think that playing things back in your head is part of an ADD thing. I have always done it too, but when it comes to school topics it can be helpful.

When MA my niece starts to worry her mother tells her to pretend she is wearing a silk blouse or cammie and all the worries are sliding off her back. My sister gave me that analogy too. It helps. I hope this helps.

piglet
03-17-07, 12:27 AM
honey, if I'm not intruding - as a 45 y.o. Mom - I think it's pretty common, and I know I sure had a bad case of it. I can completely sympathize. And kids can kinda suck; it's hard to find your people at your age, sometimes. Don't give up on it; see if you can get some constructive help. I sort of gave u pand shut down, socially, in high school, and I wish I were a brave as my daughter, who would get up in people's faces and make sure they know who she is; if they don't like her, she wants to know it right off. Just know that who you are now, and who people think you are now, is not necessarily going to be you, in ten years.

brittalitt
04-16-07, 09:51 PM
thanks for everyones help :]

auntchris
04-22-07, 02:08 PM
Brit, try the silk blouse analogy, letting thing slide off your back didnt work, but a silk blouse thing dont stick to it. It is too slippery. Does that make sense?

have you done exercise [program, or yoga? Yoga is a good form of relaxation and flexabitlity exercises. There are so many benefits to starting at your age.

QueensU_girl
04-29-07, 11:49 AM
re: self-concious and replaying old conversations.

You sound quite anxious.

*Stargazer*
04-30-07, 11:51 AM
hey,

u sound typical true ADD to me.....

Go to bevkprice.com and read all of bob seay things, theres a bit about how we can replay conversations in our heads and that we can't help but be self-concious and heaps of stuff that has helped me mate!, and if you hate reading like me (coz theres alot to read) use a text to speech pro like verbose and cut and past it and listen to it......

but again, normal true ADD:)

tomg44
05-10-07, 02:55 PM
wow, that is almost exactly what happens to me, your definatley not alone : )

brittalitt
07-16-07, 03:41 PM
yeah i figured, i still do it, but not as much..
i don't know what happened but i'm loving it :]
thanks for all your advice!

AdoptaPirate
07-29-07, 12:29 PM
Yeah just sounds like you're getting some anxiety and over-thinking things in your head (I do the same thing for other things, usually getting to know someone is un-stimulating for me).

Sounds like you are younger, but the more you socialize and such, the easier it gets (It's like a first kiss all over again!). Practice makes perfect.

Sa225
12-18-07, 07:32 PM
I do that so much!!! I wish I didn´t because I almost always find something i have said or done to be ashamed or embarrast of. Most of the time I guess (and hope) I am the only one who notice it.
I use to be very quiet, but sometimes I say too much. I fell uncomfortable when I do it, and I know I should stop, but I just continue. I get really tired of my self when I do that...

blahblahblah
02-08-08, 11:37 PM
Iused to do that all the time, I would aginize over all sorts of my little screw upsbut the more i acceped myself the less i did it. I don't know i just stoped wishing I was different or more like other people and gave up on trying to fit in some box. I don't know if this helps or not but...just be yourself. It worked for me....

antomanii
02-22-08, 05:18 PM
It seems to me that you might have a certain degree of social anxiety/social phobia. I don't know you but I've been diagnosed that last year and I felt exactly the same way.. like you said, agonizing over every little thing i said or did, going in my head a 100 times over all my actions and mistakes. And no, that's not just being a teenager. Thank god that's not it. There's a better life beyond that and with proper treatment anyone can come out of it as a happier and healthier person after a couple o months.
In my experience I started treatment last year taking paroxetine and it really changed my life. After 7-8 months I was almost like a normal person :p.

Here's some information that might help you.
What is Social Phobia?

Social Phobia, or Social Anxiety Disorder, is an anxiety disorder characterized by overwhelming anxiety and excessive self-consciousness in everyday social situations. Social phobia can be limited to only one type of situation — such as a fear of speaking in formal or informal situations, or eating or drinking in front of others — or, in its most severe form, may be so broad that a person experiences symptoms almost anytime they are around other people. More about Social Phobia » (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/social-phobia-social-anxiety-disorder.shtml)
Signs & Symptoms

People with social phobia have a persistent, intense, and chronic fear of being watched and judged by others and being embarrassed or humiliated by their own actions. Their fear may be so severe that it interferes with work or school, and other ordinary activities. Physical symptoms often accompany the intense anxiety of social phobia and include blushing, profuse sweating, trembling, nausea, and difficulty talking. More about Signs & Symptoms » (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/social-phobia-social-anxiety-disorder.shtml)
Treatment

Effective treatments for social phobia are available, and research is yielding new, improved therapies that can help most people with social phobia and other anxiety disorders lead productive, fulfilling lives. More about Treatment » (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/how-to-get-help-for-anxiety-disorders.shtml)

Source: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/social-phobia/index.shtml